PDA

View Full Version : blades training camp thread

wango tango
08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
having a look at the roster on the blades website here's who's probably playing for spots.

13 forwards pick between - graham, sloboshan, soshnin, forsberg, millette, clayton, hebig, zajac, smyth, mappin, boutin, gomerich, stovin, adamson, gingras, prevost, braid, harland.

7 defensemen pick between - dwyer, ottenbreit, higson, hnidy, nogier, dea, krupic, thomson, nikkel.

don't think there'll be much competition for goaltender. going with trombley and martin.

i left scherbak off the list. he could make montreal. if he is returned to junior he'll either be traded, or one of the other euros will have to be released as they can't be traded.

Trav
08-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Here's my roster prediction...

Goaltenders

Troy Trombley
Quentin Abrams,
Malcom Young
Trevor Martin

I'd like the Blades to go in to the pre-season with these 4 and then pick the 2 best ones. Not sure I'd wanna use a 20 yr old spot on Trombley though I wouldn't be against it if they don't go and pick up some other 20's. I'm really interested in seeing how Abrams and Young do at camp.

Forwards

Nikita Scherbak
Cameron Hebig
Alex Forsberg
Nick Zajac
Ryan Graham
Wyatt Sloboshan
Ty Mappin
Cory Millette
Logan Harland
Nikita Soshnin
Chasetain Braid
Dakota Boutin
Parker Smyth
Jesse Lansdell or Garrett Armour

I don't believe Stovin will make it past the OA deadline, least IMO he shouldn't. For now this is my forward predictions though I can see the Blades making some trades and adding a forward or two. If Sherbak is traded which is possible, I hope the Blades can get a some good young 97's in exchange, or a 97 and 96.

Defensemen

Nelson Nogier
MacKenzie Dwyer
Amil Krupic - Odd man out if Blades keep Sherbak and Soshnin looks good.
Nolan Reid
Jordan Thomson
Turner Ottenbreit
Ayrton Nikkel

I'm curious to see how Josh Bergen and Holden Cronin do at camp. Could be darkhorses.

I think the Blades could use a 20 yr old d-man that would be a top 4.

Don't see Tyler Dea making the team. The other guys have more potential IMO

wango tango
08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
i like the offensive ability the forward group could have. hopefully they all work well in woods system and help in the defensive zone too. going to have to help because the defense and goaltending are where we have some big questions to answer.

nogier, reid, thomson, and nikkel should have spots locked up if they play like they can. ottenbreit and krupic should earn the next two. it's wide open for the last defensive spot.

Trav
08-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Attended the first scrimmage between team Blue and team white.

First thing I gotta say is it was tough to see the numbers with the jerseys they wore. The stripes were so close to the numbers it I couldn't make out some of the numbers.

There weren't any real standouts other then Scherbak and Hebig. Didn't notice Soshnin a whole lot or Forsberg although like I mentioned at the start, numbers were hard to read.

Boutin was recognizable by the green pants and green helmet (PA Mintos) and I was impressed with him. Needs to pass a bit more but otherwise I like him.

Couldn't tell u who was in net either, sorry bout that.

I'll be glad when they play pre-season and u can see whose who more clearly.

ontheice
08-22-2014, 08:04 PM
It is only the first day but I didn't see much speed on the ice. I wonder if we are moving away from what obviously works in the whl, look at portland, edmonton or kelowna. We need speed and skill to compete.

curwie
08-22-2014, 08:14 PM
It is only the first day but I didn't see much speed on the ice. I wonder if we are moving away from what obviously works in the whl, look at portland, edmonton or kelowna. We need speed and skill to compete.

Did you attend both games today? The first game was quite fast.

A couple quick points from my view:

Josh Paterson looks like he will be really good. Nice snipe on a breakaway high glove side. Huge upside with this kid. I wish he could play this year. Was likely the best player on the ice this scrimmage.

Cameron Hebig was fast and had quite a few chances

Colin Woods is a hard worker and has 2 goals in 2 days.

Lots of really nice looking defensman. Capstick, Kustra, Dwyer, Ottenbreit, Krupic, and more.

Ty Mapping was fast and played well with Austin Adamson who had 2 goals.

Wyatt Sloboshan had many chances but couldn't bury it. Played well.

Trav
08-23-2014, 01:45 AM

The ownership and Woods wanna have a fast puck possession team. Remember the Blades still have Molleken's hand prints all over it. It'll take awhile for Woods to put his mark on the team.

sbtatter
08-23-2014, 06:32 AM
How's Boutin looking for you guys?

Trav
08-23-2014, 08:03 AM

Only saw him once but I was impressed. Good skater and aggressive. See how he does in pre season

curwie
08-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Hey looked ok for me as well. Like Trav said earlier, he was wearing green pants so he was easy to spot. So many players to watch, and really not that many spots available so it's hard to tell sometimes. I find myself having to curb my excitement.

sbtatter
08-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Hope he makes your team, he's a good prospect who was just a victim of numbers here in Bdn

BigCat20
08-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Here's my thoughts on camp

Players that stood out:
1) goalies - Abrams was the best, IMO. Many huge saves, esp. in early 2nd half. Going by the 2 that were cut & 6 that play in the blue & white game, that leaves only him & Trombley. So I'm assuming he's going to main camp. Luding was ok, but had limited action.

2) dmen - Capstick, Higson, & Ottenbreit looked great(in that order). Dwyer was good, as was Kustra. Was expecting more from Reid, only noticed him cuz of the red gear.

3) forwards - Soshnin, Gingras, MacKenzie, & Hausinger were the most noticeable to me. Sloboshan, Prevost, Paterson(expected more), Boutin & even Kuczek were ok.

Disappointments:

1) Mappin - didn't like his game much. Showed little desire to get puck. I think when all is said & done, he won't be a regular in the lineup if he even makes the team.

2) Evans - let in 4 goals I think, 2 he looked foolish on. Much better goalie prospects in Hamm, Luding & Grzybowski.

3) Forsberg - expected more out of him, esp. playing with the Russians. Not sold on him

My predictions to begin pre-season:

Goalies - Trombley, Abrams, Martin & Hamm

Dmen - returnies & Reid, Dwyer, Ottenbreit, Higson, Capstick, Krupic

Forwards - returnies & Soshnin, Sloboshan, Smyth, Prevost, Braid, Gingras, Tomaras, Mappin, Hausinger, Paterson, Boutin, Kuczek, Mackenzie

Reg Season:

Trombley, Martin, Abrams

Nikkel, Nogier, Thomson, Reid, Ottenbreit & Higson. Dwyer/ Dea fight it out for 7th, Krupic( if they trade Scherbak)

Stovin( I think he makes the team), Harland, Millette, Zajac, Hebig, Graham, Forsberg, Sloboshan, Gingras, Adamson, Soshnin.

Bubble - Smyth, Boutin, Prevost, Gomerich, Mappin, & Braid fight for last couple spots.

curwie
08-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Here's my thoughts on camp

Players that stood out:
1) goalies - Abrams was the best, IMO. Many huge saves, esp. in early 2nd half. Going by the 2 that were cut & 6 that play in the blue & white game, that leaves only him & Trombley. So I'm assuming he's going to main camp. Luding was ok, but had limited action.

2) dmen - Capstick, Higson, & Ottenbreit looked great(in that order). Dwyer was good, as was Kustra. Was expecting more from Reid, only noticed him cuz of the red gear.

3) forwards - Soshnin, Gingras, MacKenzie, & Hausinger were the most noticeable to me. Sloboshan, Prevost, Paterson(expected more), Boutin & even Kuczek were ok.

Disappointments:

1) Mappin - didn't like his game much. Showed little desire to get puck. I think when all is said & done, he won't be a regular in the lineup if he even makes the team.

2) Evans - let in 4 goals I think, 2 he looked foolish on. Much better goalie prospects in Hamm, Luding & Grzybowski.

3) Forsberg - expected more out of him, esp. playing with the Russians. Not sold on him

My predictions to begin pre-season:

Goalies - Trombley, Abrams, Martin & Hamm

Dmen - returnies & Reid, Dwyer, Ottenbreit, Higson, Capstick, Krupic

Forwards - returnies & Soshnin, Sloboshan, Smyth, Prevost, Braid, Gingras, Tomaras, Mappin, Hausinger, Paterson, Boutin, Kuczek, Mackenzie

Reg Season:

Trombley, Martin, Abrams

Nikkel, Nogier, Thomson, Reid, Ottenbreit & Higson. Dwyer/ Dea fight it out for 7th, Krupic( if they trade Scherbak)

Stovin( I think he makes the team), Harland, Millette, Zajac, Hebig, Graham, Forsberg, Sloboshan, Gingras, Adamson, Soshnin.

Bubble - Smyth, Boutin, Prevost, Gomerich, Mappin, & Braid fight for last couple spots.

Thanks for posting. A few questions and comments cause I wasn't able to make it today, but this is what I noticed from Fridays scrimmage.

Agree on Capstick. He looks like he is going to be really good.

Patterson was terrific, didn't he get another goal today?

Hausinger looked very average.

Mappin looked real good, hopefully he can put in a consistent effort if he sticks.

Agree with your assessment on Forsberg. Nice playmaker, but inconsistent work ethic. To be honest, Ty Mappin was way more noticeable than Forsberg.

Nolan Reid was ok, but nothing special. He's young and still has a terrific upside though.

Another young guy that played well was Mckenzie.

I don't believe Hausinger has signed with the team yet so I'm not sure how much longer he's here.

BigCat20
08-24-2014, 08:28 PM
See they posted 2 " team" skates for tomorrow after cuts. Possible injuries to Mappin & Gomerich.......are not part of cuts or listed on either team. Surprised a few 15 yr olds, ie. Paterson, MacKenzie, Buchanan, Kustra, Luding, aren't sticking around for the wk & play in one game. Esp since they are signed, that's what I remember happened in the past. Interesting that Hausinger is staying. May not play in any games but maybe checking everything out, like rink/ school/ practice schedule/etc. trying to entice him to sign! Not really any surprises of who is staying. The Armour kid also looked good the 2 days I seen. Big & physical, funny he was just a camp invite. Him & Stewart are the only non-obvious selections! Wonder how long till they make a decision on Scherbak. I don't see him making the Canadiens. So do they wait till he comes back from camp or trade him ASAP to assure that the other 2 euros are staying?

sbtatter
08-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Didn't see Boutin's name on either the "cut or keep" list that Les posted here, anyone know his status?
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/blades-training-camp-ends-deletions-made/itemid_64

Trav
08-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I got confirmation that the Blades released him. Bit surprising but I guess the Blades felt keeping the pick was more worth keeping. Heard lately that his parents and even himself are hard ri deal with as well. Could b why McCrimmon got rid of him

Trav
08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Is Boutin hurt?

As mentioned yesterday, he was released by the Blades the other day. Didn't have a strong camp according to management. They obviously felt keeping the draft pick was better for them.

HockeyGuy
08-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Can anyone here list some reasons why a player would choose to not sign with a WHL team or play exhibition games if they were asked to?

SectionNDeserter
08-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Can anyone here list some reasons why a player would choose to not sign with a WHL team or play exhibition games if they were asked to?99 times out of 100, it is to preserve their NCAA eligibility.

HockeyGuy
08-27-2014, 06:29 AM
So if Boutin was asked to sign or if he was asked to play exhibition games it would ruin his eligibility to play NCAA?

Trav
08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
So if Boutin was asked to sign or if he was asked to play exhibition games it would ruin his eligibility to play NCAA?

Yes, but that's not why he was released. He wasn't as good as the others still left at camp/ The Blades bothered not to list him since they would've had to have given up the draft pick then. There's also rumors going around that his parents are hard asses.

HockeyGuy
08-27-2014, 07:08 PM
It sounds like a big rivalry that the WHL has with the NCAA If you play a exhibition game your done in the NCAA. If you sign your done in the NCAA. So what better way to keep players committed to a team than get them to play 1 game or sign a contract. It basically closes a door for that kid. My guess is they asked him to sign, asked him to play exhibition games, and when his advisor said they want guaranteed spot on the team or they wouldn't sign the Blades released him. Same thing happened in Brandon from what I hear. I was told he looked good at training camp he just needed to move the puck more. The same comments were made about Sam Steele in Regina's camp. The comment was that he was trying to do too much. (Read Regina's training camp report/Comments)

It's to bad WHL teams can't play guys in exhibition games without them loosing their NCAA eligibility. Game situations are the only real way to tell if a player will perform or not. Makes it tough for the player and the team. I wish that rule would change.

BigCat20
08-27-2014, 10:46 PM
It sounds like a big rivalry that the WHL has with the NCAA If you play a exhibition game your done in the NCAA. If you sign your done in the NCAA. So what better way to keep players committed to a team than get them to play 1 game or sign a contract. It basically closes a door for that kid. My guess is they asked him to sign, asked him to play exhibition games, and when his advisor said they want guaranteed spot on the team or they wouldn't sign the Blades released him. Same thing happened in Brandon from what I hear. I was told he looked good at training camp he just needed to move the puck more. The same comments were made about Sam Steele in Regina's camp. The comment was that he was trying to do too much. (Read Regina's training camp report/Comments)

It's to bad WHL teams can't play guys in exhibition games without them loosing their NCAA eligibility. Game situations are the only real way to tell if a player will perform or not. Makes it tough for the player and the team. I wish that rule would change.

I don't think Boutin was that good in camp. One play I remember, he had the puck in neutral zone & carried it back into his own end. 2 players on other team followed him in, instead of chipping it out or rimming it around he tried to deke them & lost the puck. Scoring chance was the result.

Comparing him to Steele is a joke. Steele is a top player in his age group. Boutin not even close! Saying he needs to do this or do that more isn't them same. Boutin isn't good enough. Period!

As for the losing eligibility, that is NCAA rule so the whl has nothing to do with it. & if this union bs gains any ground, that should put the nail in the whl/NCAA issue. If they are in a union & paid more, they can't be classed as a student athlete! Don't get me started.........end of rant!

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 12:02 PM
whats this union stuff...I haven't heard about it

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
And I wasn't comparing the Boutin to Steele. No where in my post did I say that Boutin was better than Steele. Read my comment. I said that comment were made and Regina's camp that Steele was trying to do to much on his own which also didn't turn out well for him. Players will do this at tryout camp to get noticed and stuff. doesn't mean they will do it in a game.

BigCat20
08-28-2014, 01:18 PM
And I wasn't comparing the Boutin to Steele. No where in my post did I say that Boutin was better than Steele. Read my comment. I said that comment were made and Regina's camp that Steele was trying to do to much on his own which also didn't turn out well for him. Players will do this at tryout camp to get noticed and stuff. doesn't mean they will do it in a game.

You said Boutin was trying to do to much like what people thought Steele was doing. Who said Boutin did much of anything, little own stand out. He didnt do much in a game against his peers! So why would you expect him to be any better in games against other teams? He played in 4 games, they didnt base him being cut just on training camp practices. How didn't it turn out well for Steele? There's a difference between being a skilled player trying to impress & borde-line player trying out. With Steele, maybe nerves came into play, but still made plays to impress people. Boutin doesn't have that & didn't make much of an impression.

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 06:41 PM
I didn't say Boutin was trying to do to much. Learn to read English. I said comments were made about him not moving the puck and that he was trying to do too much. ( read the posts on here from the start of the thread). Lots of people made comment that he was looking good. Lol. All of a sudden he's cut and you seem to think he isn't a skilled player. It sounds to me like your just a mad fan that likes to bash players.

BigCat20
08-28-2014, 09:44 PM
I didn't say Boutin was trying to do to much. Learn to read English. I said comments were made about him not moving the puck and that he was trying to do too much. ( read the posts on here from the start of the thread). Lots of people made comment that he was looking good. Lol. All of a sudden he's cut and you seem to think he isn't a skilled player. It sounds to me like your just a mad fan that likes to bash players.

Find these "comments" that people said he looked good. Find comments I made that bash players, i dont get personal, I say what I seen. Sounds like your his buddy or family. Bottom line he's not good enough right now. Brandon thought the same too.

So you basing your post on what people said about Steele & what some people said about Boutin. Then you correlate that cuz Steele needed to try not to do so much too Boutin needing to move the puck more? My English is alright but don't get the connection there. Boutin's problem wasn't needing to move the puck more. Did you see any intersquad games or the blue & white game? He only stood out cuz he had green gear.

Think the whole point of this site is state ones option of players. That's what I did!

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Did you read back like I suggested? Let me make it easy for you. Its on page 1.
"Only saw him once but I was impressed. Good skater and aggressive. See how he does in pre season"

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 10:04 PM
next quote
"Hey looked ok for me as well. Like Trav said earlier, he was wearing green pants so he was easy to spot. So many players to watch, and really not that many spots available so it's hard to tell sometimes. I find myself having to curb my excitement."

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
and yet another
"Hope he makes your team, he's a good prospect who was just a victim of numbers here in Bdn"

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 10:06 PM
ooops and look what I found....even a comment about him by you saying he was ok
"3) forwards - Soshnin, Gingras, MacKenzie, & Hausinger were the most noticeable to me. Sloboshan, Prevost, Paterson(expected more), Boutin & even Kuczek were ok."

Trav
08-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Relax hockeyguy.

Dunno how many times the others saw him but I only saw him once and he looked okay but that was only one scrimmage. From what I've been told he was a disappointment to the coaching staff later on so thats why he's gone.

There's been no talk of him possbily going the college route though I suppose it's possible. It's also possible that his parents wanted guarantees and maybe thats why people have described his parents as being hard to deal with.

But I'm going with the reasong for his release being the coaching staff didn't think enough of him to keep him around and give up the draft pick.

HockeyGuy
08-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Ya I understand Trav. I'm just posting what Cat asked me to post. Anyway I'm done talking about that subject.

One thing I don't understand maybe you can explain it to me.

I thought Brandon traded Boutin for a draft pick? So if they don't sign him they keep their draft pick?

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/article/blades-acquire-dakota-boutin

BigCat20
08-29-2014, 12:53 AM
and yet another
"Hope he makes your team, he's a good prospect who was just a victim of numbers here in Bdn"

Where does that say anything good about what he did in camp? Yah I said the first day he looked ok. That's far from being good. And the next day he looked even worse. So those 2 quotes aren't everyone saying he looked even in the top half.

So only one comment on him looking above average. Guess management thought the same.......not good enough at this time, rather have condition pick back!

Trav
08-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Ya I understand Trav. I'm just posting what Cat asked me to post. Anyway I'm done talking about that subject.

One thing I don't understand maybe you can explain it to me.

I thought Brandon traded Boutin for a draft pick? So if they don't sign him they keep their draft pick?

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/article/blades-acquire-dakota-boutin

The Blades get their pick back since it was a conditional pick. Going to assume Boutin had to make the Blades for the pick to become Brandon's. The Blades likely had until a certain date to decide whether or not they'd keep him. The Blades have confirmed they get their pick back.

When the Blades traded Sutter to the Rebels last season, they had the option of taking Kevin Pochuk or a draft pick. Pochuk didn't make the team so they took the pick instead, forget what round it was.

curwie
08-29-2014, 02:49 AM
The Blades get their pick back since it was a conditional pick. Going to assume Boutin had to make the Blades for the pick to become Brandon's. The Blades likely had until a certain date to decide whether or not they'd keep him. The Blades have confirmed they get their pick back.

When the Blades traded Sutter to the Rebels last season, they had the option of taking Kevin Pochuk or a draft pick. Pochuk didn't make the team so they took the pick instead, forget what round it was.

Exactly right. 7th round pick.

curwie
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM
On a side note, the Blades website has a press release stating that the roster has been trimmed, but doesn't mention who was let go. Hopefully there is another press release to follow! This new communications guy has been hit and miss. John Keen and Alan Caldwell refer to him as Shakespere.

BigCat20
08-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Looks like to me forwards Woods & Hausinger, dman Stewart & goalie Abrams were released/unsigned.

Trav
08-30-2014, 11:10 PM
It was good to see the Blades get a win, although Medicine Hat still outshot them big time and had a young team. Trevor Martin played pretty good in net. Have a feeling he'll be the backup.

Did anyone see Brock Hamm in camp? How did he do? When I look at his stats from last season, not very good. Bit surprised he's still there.

curwie
08-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Looks like to me forwards Woods & Hausinger, dman Stewart & goalie Abrams were released/unsigned.

Thanks, I saw that on Les's blog. Still no sign of it on the Blades website.