PDA

View Full Version : 2 road games (MJ & PA)

patsdude114
09-26-2014, 09:14 AM
here is a thread for talk about/on the weekend slate of games against MJ & PA... I know there are a few of us who watch on webcast and im sure a few will be going to MJ tonight as well (myself included).

Be interesting to see this weekend which 20yr olds play in both games (which im 100% sure Padakin will be) &/or if there is possibly 1 who doesn't play at all...

Does Fuhr get into a game early and start one of these games this weekend? Im thinking he starts in PA

See if our defensive play improves with captain Burroughs back out there

sbtatter
09-26-2014, 09:51 AM
here is a thread for talk about/on the weekend slate of games against MJ & PA... I know there are a few of us who watch on webcast and im sure a few will be going to MJ tonight as well (myself included).

Be interesting to see this weekend which 20yr olds play in both games (which im 100% sure Padakin will be) &/or if there is possibly 1 who doesn't play at all...

Does Fuhr get into a game early and start one of these games this weekend? Im thinking he starts in PA

See if our defensive play improves with captain Burroughs back out there

Both teams have had significant players returned since they played pre season games in bdn. Regina looked a lot bigger and faster and better than MJ in Bdn, so would expect regina to roll over the warriors. Haven't seen the Raiders yet so can't comment. If you win in MJ, then likely start Fuhr against PA makes sense, Padakin and Steel should be an interesting combo at some point in these games, not sure who will be the 3rd guy on that line?

chopper
09-26-2014, 06:12 PM
All good points! This game worries me a little mainly because of our dominance last year. I think these guys will be seething in wait. I really don't know what they have but they will be fiesty. With Yakubowski, Cooke, and Eberle they will be quite gritty.

I guess Eberle is not back yet but as soon as he is Cooke will be dealt. They will still have an interesting team. Point and Rodewald will lead the way offensively but I don't know about their depth. These games are always tough. Drop the puck…..

patsdude114
09-26-2014, 06:28 PM
For what it matters McVeigh is scratched tonight in Moose Jaw

Also Fuhr gets the start

nivek_wahs
09-26-2014, 07:36 PM
For what it matters McVeigh is scratched tonight in Moose Jaw

Also Fuhr gets the startMcVeigh is hurt.

patsdude114
09-26-2014, 07:48 PM
McVeigh is hurt.

Did not know that..... Thanks...... What's he out with? Sore hand from his fight?

Burroughs did not look like he was all there after Penner light him up late in the 1st (was clean just Burroughs was that 2ft away from the boards)

nivek_wahs
09-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Did not know that..... Thanks...... What's he out with? Sore hand from his fight?

Burroughs did not look like he was all there after Penner light him up late in the 1st (was clean just Burroughs was that 2ft away from the boards)From Greg Harder.....

In addition, rookie C Colton Kroeker is slated to make his WHL debut in place of C Logan McVeigh, who won’t play due to a knee injury. He’s day to day. That solves the team’s overage dilemma – for this weekend, anyway. With McVeigh out, Padakin, F Patrick D’Amico and F Braden Christoffer will serve as the team’s three 20-year-olds.

patsdude114
09-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Well I will say that thru 2 periods of play Kroeker hasn't looked out of place at all he has made a few really good plays.

Smith absolutely light up Valentine not sure if it was worth a 5mins major but was prob still worth a 2min minor for charging. Smith took a even more dirty cross check from Brown before the big crowd arrived.

chopper
09-26-2014, 09:58 PM
From how it looked on the screen, Smith's hit was more of a big guy laying out a good hard hit. He didn't appear to take too many strides and he didn't leave his feet. Paddock was talking with the ref and he wasn't happy.

Geez Burroughs always finds a way to get hurt on these plays. Hope it's not too much and he's back quick. The rest of the guys seemed to pull together. Maybe those suggesting the presence of an extra d-man might be on point.

Loved seeing Hilsendager drop the mitts against a 20 year old. I do expect it's going to be tougher tomorrow night in PA. I noticed Hanson didn't dress for us tonight for whatever reasons.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-27-2014, 02:02 AM
How did the fights go? hockey fights isn't doing squat this year, it seems.

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 07:40 AM
About the Smith hit first....... Of course Paddock was upset by the call as it was a 5min major & game misconduct on a borderline hit. At most should of be 2mins, as it was the 2 refs were in over their head Watt has never been good IMO and this Campbell ref I don't think was up to speed yet either. They both missed the high cross check Brown have to Smith after the big hit but yet figured the hit itself was worth 5 & a game....... No further comment as something never change.

As for the fights from my seat with mjw22 I couldn't see much of the Cole fight due to the big scrum and it being on the other side of the ice from where I sat. As for the Hilsendager fight he def held his own against a very experienced fighter in Yakowbowski (sure I spelt that wrong) every game I watch Hilsendager I like him more and more he is turning into a real gem which is very rare considering what round he was picked in if I recall without looking he was a 10th or 11th round pick, most never see a single game let alone excel in this league.

Really hope Burroughs is alright he didn't look like he knew where he was IMO most definitely another concussion and that's only based on watching him struggle to his feet and fall back down after. As for Hansen this could mean well or him as he gets to stick around alittle more as a defensive replacement as I really feel he will be the odd man out the young forwards bring more then he does IMO.

chopper
09-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Paddock is pretty stoic about the game but was a little hot over the failure to see the high cross check. The MJ broadcasters seen this but 4 sets of eyes didn't. Smith received an injury and left the ice right away so I think he got cut at least. Smith won't forget.

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 01:07 PM
From the Pats Twitter....

The Pats have reassigned defenceman Ryan Krushen ('98).

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 01:24 PM
From the Pats Twitter....

The Pats have reassigned defenceman Ryan Krushen ('98).

That's prob best for his development, I'm not a huge fan of 16yr old Dmen riding the pine lots. With defensemen it's more trial by error and they need to be on the ice more then a forward when it comes to development.

Is Mortlach still with the team or did they just send him back as well? I have attended 2 practices and don't recall seeing anyone on the ice without a number in the helmet or a number that I didn't recognize.

Also Nivek have you heard any word on Burroughs?

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Paddock is pretty stoic about the game but was a little hot over the failure to see the high cross check. The MJ broadcasters seen this but 4 sets of eyes didn't. Smith received an injury and left the ice right away so I think he got cut at least. Smith won't forget.

Chopper I was pretty sure that's why paddock was so hot last night after all that happened as the cross check went unnoticed and that by far was the dirtiest shot of the whole play. No way Smith should of gotten a 5 on that play that was a call based on a big hit by 2 inexperienced refs

That's 2 game misconducts for Smith in 3 games and I can't understand why Smith and Kitt were given game misconducts for their fight either lol Smith has been on the bad side of 2 phantom calls now and risking suspension for the remaining of the year for each game misconduct he receives after the 3rd and were 3 bloody games in.......

^i could be mistaken but if I recall from the rules after 3 game misconducts you get a 1 game suspension and every one after that is another game. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong maybe I'm dreaming I read this rule somewhere

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 01:52 PM
That's prob best for his development, I'm not a huge fan of 16yr old Dmen riding the pine lots. With defensemen it's more trial by error and they need to be on the ice more then a forward when it comes to development.

Is Mortlach still with the team or did they just send him back as well? I have attended 2 practices and don't recall seeing anyone on the ice without a number in the helmet or a number that I didn't recognize.

Also Nivek have you heard any word on Burroughs? Mortlock was reassigned as he's still recovering from his injury.

No definitive word on Burroughs, but Greg Harder had this on his blog....

Meanwhile, Krushen’s departure presumably means that F/D Carter Hansen, who was scratched on Friday, will be seeing more action on the back end. The status of captain Kyle Burroughs is up in the air after suffering an apparent concussion Friday night when he was sent flying into the boards by Moose Jaw’s Linden Penner. Burroughs reported that he was feeling fine after the game but he will need to go through league-mandated concussion protocol.

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Mortlock was reassigned as he's still recovering from his injury.

No definitive word on Burroughs, but Greg Harder had this on his blog....

Meanwhile, Krushen’s departure presumably means that F/D Carter Hansen, who was scratched on Friday, will be seeing more action on the back end. The status of captain Kyle Burroughs is up in the air after suffering an apparent concussion Friday night when he was sent flying into the boards by Moose Jaw’s Linden Penner. Burroughs reported that he was feeling fine after the game but he will need to go through league-mandated concussion protocol.

Thanks for that Nivek on both counts I must of missed the Mortlock reassignment.

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Chopper I was pretty sure that's why paddock was so hot last night after all that happened as the cross check went unnoticed and that by far was the dirtiest shot of the whole play. No way Smith should of gotten a 5 on that play that was a call based on a big hit by 2 inexperienced refs The Pats announcers thought that the Smith hit was a bad one. They seemed to agree that his feet left the ice when he hit the Warrior player. They mentioned the aftermath but there wasn't much of a comment about the shot Smith took.

That's 2 game misconducts for Smith in 3 games and I can't understand why Smith and Kitt were given game misconducts for their fight either lol Smith has been on the bad side of 2 phantom calls now and risking suspension for the remaining of the year for each game misconduct he receives after the 3rd and were 3 bloody games in.......

^i could be mistaken but if I recall from the rules after 3 game misconducts you get a 1 game suspension and every one after that is another game. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong maybe I'm dreaming I read this rule somewhereI was surprised about his first game misconduct. I'm wondering if the WHL has adopted the rule from the OHL about staged fights and maybe the officials thought it was a staged fight? I don't know.

The OHL will be augmenting the current staged fight rule whereby players receive an automatic game misconduct for a fight occurring immediately following the drop of the puck at the commencement of a period or game. Such rule has been expanded so as to include a fight which occurs immediately following any faceoff during the game. Should a staged fight occur, the player(s) involved shall each receive a game misconduct in addition to the major penalty and any other penalties assessed.

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that Nivek on both counts I must of missed the Mortlock reassignment.It was on a Pats Chat or one of those things. No press release or anything like that.

sbtatter
09-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Dod Smith and Kitt take their lids off to get a game each?

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Dod Smith and Kitt take their lids off to get a game each?Both players started with their helmets on and Smith ended up losing his lid during the quick bout. Kitt never lost his helmet.

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Both players started with their helmets on and Smith ended up losing his lid during the quick bout. Kitt never lost his helmet.

That's what I thought happened which doesn't make sense why they got game misconducts as the helmet is allowed to come off during the fight just not before hand.

Either way it puts Smith in a bad situation for his style of play only 3 games in and 2 game misconducts which are very phantom calls IMO

Bighat
09-27-2014, 06:23 PM
They both undone their chin straps.

sbtatter
09-27-2014, 06:43 PM
They both undone their chin straps.

So is that a GM?

Gabrielle did the old helmet spin after his fight last night, but that only gets you 2 mins, not a GM!!

Bighat
09-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Can't undo yours or oppents. Auto gm.

nivek_wahs
09-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Trust me. It was a "staged fight" off a face off. Nothing to do with the chinstraps. WHL adopting the new rules. I asked someone that knows.

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 07:53 PM
I fully agree it has nothing to do with the chin straps

Its about time there is a rule put in place about these stupid staged fights, they rarely turn into a good fight the best fights are from a battle in a corner or off a big hit that players take exception too. I know SAJ wont agree with me on this comment but that's ok we are both entitled to our opinions and neither 1 is wrong

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Hello Rylee Zimmer!!! great job by him for tieing the game up on his Penalty Shot... I listened to the game on the Raiders feed due to it being more clear then the Phil's feed with the webcast, they didn't agree with the PS (which is expected) they were trying to say cause he got the shot off which ya he did but hardly moving due to the slash it was the right call.

It wasn't the prettiest of a game played could really tell PA jumped all over us with us playing the night before and them not. The Pats didn't go away though and dug deep with this one. Kroeker played fantastic was always on the right side of the puck plus he got things going with his 1st career goal.

IMO the best Pats player(s) tonight was Wagner he was everywhere tonight just wish he had alittle more scoring touch as he had 3 great chances tonight. Best Dman again was the Russian Zborovskiy.

I think McVeigh is going to have to really prove himself as D'Amico was everywhere tonight as well and chipping in again offensively.

Bighat
09-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Really liked paddocks comments tonite, we're a team of 19 and everyone has to play and contribute. He also couldn't believe that some of our guys scored there first goals of there career and they played very little last year.

patsdude114
09-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Ya those comments basically threw the past coaching staff under the bus which I have no problems with. Looking back maybe if the past coaching staff showed more confidence in our younger players last year our top 6 wouldn't if been so burnt out come playoff time.

Brooks has actually looked pretty good early on and my god that takes a lot for me to say. Now if Paddock can just teach Wagner to finish we should be alright lol

Looking at the 4 teams who will/should battle out for 3rd in our division our chances to make playoffs may be better then u once thought. Saskatoon still looks terrible, mj didn't impress me one bit and PA with us should battle for that spot all year long.

chopper
09-28-2014, 12:19 AM
I think I want to wait and see what Paddock does with the players he's been provided with over the course of the season(s) Last year they had Wagner, Zimmer, Reagan, Kammerer and Sinitsyn who were all rookies. Probably three shouldn't have played in the WHL.

Zimmer and Wagner were not ready but sill played a fair bit. Neither did anything to earn more ice time. Kammerer was an import they were stuck with as was Sinitsyn. Regan was here because he was our top draft pick of 2012.

Because of the horrid 2011 draft there was nothing in the cupboard of 96ers. Brooks was bad, Schoiler and Ortynski played Tier2. Gtiffin Mumby, wherever he is, was a tweener. We had NOTHING else. Hence Wagner and Zimmer got to play. They weren't Sam Steel

Conisdering how little he had to work with depth wise, I think Cameron did a pretty fine job and I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. He has won a Division Pennent, Paddock has yet to prove anything in the WHL. Maybe he will one day. Time will tell.

It wash't the young guys that were our downfall last season, it was a group of vets who didn't perform including Leier who did little in the 2nd half. Add in a couple of catastrophic injuries late, we were ripe for the plucking. There's always more Looking a bit deeper.

Paddock has them playing a pro style game, up temp with a strong emphasis on defence. We play a "speedy trap" type game which will be tough to handle for some teams. You have to like how things are going so far. Lets hope we get the injury bug done early.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-28-2014, 12:35 AM
People can certainly think whatever they want to, all they want to, but something that's incorrect is still wrong even if its a personal opinion.

Its subjective to say someone likes or hates what people see as 'staged fights', but the truth is a fight is a fight is a fight. Like them or not, if you ban one type, soon they'll all be gone. This dumb helmet rule they apparently have is one way to 'ban' fighting without 'banning fighting', and thinking they will stop changing rules on the subject, considering how hard they work to get to this point, is just illogical, even if its your opinion.

Eventually fighting will be gone, and because they are so gradual with changes, it will be because the owners have fooled their fan bases into thinking they all the sudden don't like fights anymore.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Its an optimistic start to the season. Win or lose within reason, things are going as planned as long as they keep making adjustments and the young players are developing, which is sort of the point of a rebuilding team, and frankly the league itself(although a lot of the time we don't see it).

Id still like to see us get a young goalie who can play on the roster as backup. I like Fuhr, but if we are rebuilding everywhere else, why not there...

Maybe a product of the seemingly eventual Klimchuk trade...

patsdude114
09-28-2014, 01:05 AM
People can certainly think whatever they want to, all they want to, but something that's incorrect is still wrong even if its a personal opinion.

Its subjective to say someone likes or hates what people see as 'staged fights', but the truth is a fight is a fight is a fight. Like them or not, if you ban one type, soon they'll all be gone. This dumb helmet rule they apparently have is one way to 'ban' fighting without 'banning fighting', and thinking they will stop changing rules on the subject, considering how hard they work to get to this point, is just illogical, even if its your opinion.

Eventually fighting will be gone, and because they are so gradual with changes, it will be because the owners have fooled their fan bases into thinking they all the sudden don't like fights anymore.

I for one am all for the helmet rule especially in junior hockey. We have to remember these are still just kids they are not making money playing this game for us fans to watch. In the pros that's a different story no helmet is more then fine with me as it is I hate watching the NHL as its boring as f*ck anyways.

Im sure fighting will be banned in the junior game within 10yrs from a fan stand point it sucks and I hope it doesn't happen but in a more modest train of thought it makes sense as well. I know you don't agree with the modest train of thought as you are a paying consumer and want to be entertained but in the real world of concussions and how it can ruin lives it makes sense. A very small percentage of these kids will ever see pro hockey so that means they got to live within the rest of the world with every day jobs.

chopper
09-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Its an optimistic start to the season. Win or lose within reason, things are going as planned as long as they keep making adjustments and the young players are developing, which is sort of the point of a rebuilding team, and frankly the league itself(although a lot of the time we don't see it).

Id still like to see us get a young goalie who can play on the roster as backup. I like Fuhr, but if we are rebuilding everywhere else, why not there...

I don't have a problem with the tandem they have but I see your point about the young goalie. I see PA is using 17 year old McBride and he looks pretty good. They are high on him and if we're in a rebuild mode maybe a young guy should be considered.

Right now both Wapple and Fuhr seem to be playing very well, and at this point would be a toss up. If they are committed to Wapple then perhaps Fuhr could be moved for a younger guy. Otherwise wait until deadline see where you are at and maybe move Wapple.

If we are not in the hunt for a playoff spot in the conference, there will be dealing moves at any rate. Logic would be if that were the case Klimchuk, Burroughs, and Wapple could be tradeable assets going forward. One never knows for sure.

If by a twist of fate and the got Stephenson back, our trade options could get even better. Interesting season this will be.

sbtatter
09-28-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't have a problem with the tandem they have but I see your point about the young goalie. I see PA is using 17 year old McBride and he looks pretty good. They are high on him and if we're in a rebuild mode maybe a young guy should be considered.

Right now both Wapple and Fuhr seem to be playing very well, and at this point would be a toss up. If they are committed to Wapple then perhaps Fuhr could be moved for a younger guy. Otherwise wait until deadline see where you are at and maybe move Wapple.

If we are not in the hunt for a playoff spot in the conference, there will be dealing moves at any rate. Logic would be if that were the case Klimchuk, Burroughs, and Wapple could be tradeable assets going forward. One never knows for sure.

If by a twist of fate and the got Stephenson back, our trade options could get even better. Interesting season this will be.

Burroughs would be a good pick up for a team wanting an offensive d-man as an alternative to Morrissey, captain character as well, unless the Pats nose dive can't see them trading him

crashnbang
09-28-2014, 10:34 AM

We don't need a young goalie this year as a backup, Hollett can come in next year and backup either Wapple or Fuhr and then the following year he will be the starter if all goes as planned.

patsdude114
09-28-2014, 11:19 AM
We don't need a young goalie this year as a backup, Hollett can come in next year and backup either Wapple or Fuhr and then the following year he will be the starter if all goes as planned.

this is exactly what I have been thinking and have said a few times before as well... Hollett was the 2nd best goalie at camp and that's at age 15, this is the reason they had no reason to go with a younger backup as Hollett will be on the team next year and will back up either Fuhr or Wapple. Remember McBride took the starting job from the 20yr old Cheveldae last year, sure he faultered in the playoffs but who wouldn't against that EDM team

RWAH
09-29-2014, 04:44 PM
On the topic of trades, (Klimchuk, Wapple, Fuhr, Burroughs) if Hunt and Williams have a good season leading into the deadline they could also get a decent return. Just hope we dont get the "Parker" desease and don't pull the triger on some trades. I do think the current owners and Paddock are focused on the long term and we will see some selling at the deadline.

patsdude114
09-29-2014, 06:19 PM
On the topic of trades, (Klimchuk, Wapple, Fuhr, Burroughs) if Hunt and Williams have a good season leading into the deadline they could also get a decent return. Just hope we dont get the "Parker" desease and don't pull the triger on some trades. I do think the current owners and Paddock are focused on the long term and we will see some selling at the deadline.

As much as I agree with your final statement we still have to make sure we have quality 20yr olds next season or we will be trading to acquire some. As of right now we should have Williams Hunt Gay Wapple back as 20yr olds those 3 will make up a strong group without a doubt.

RWAH
09-29-2014, 09:13 PM
PD114 I agree we need to keep some players to be quality 20s next year. Just saying that the demand may determine who goes and who stays. right now would be pleased with Gay Hunt and Wapple as our 20s in 2015/16. We also need to find some quality 18s to be the 20s in 2016/17 and we all know the 18s crop is lacking. we all know the price of an 18s is a lot higher than most 20s at the Oct cut down.
As Chopper says IT WILL BE INTERESTING

patsdude114
09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
our 18yr old group is weak that is known league wide im sure, but with that said as long as you can fill in 1 or 2 players over the course of this year and next its not a huge deal when you have such a strong 17yr old group moving forward.

I don't mind if we get 1 18yr old say out of the Klimchuk deal (when/if that time comes) but I def would not want 2 of them just for klimchuk he is worth more then that and another quality 16yr old should be the focus

Thatshockey1965
09-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Just read the trade between Brandon and Lethbridge. You have to be kidding. What is Lethbridge thinking... My lord.

That organization is in serious trouble.

Just my opinion

patsdude114
09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Wow I just seen the trade info myself KM rapes that GM yet again. Getting 2 legit top 18yr olds (it I recall their ages right without looking it up since on my phone) for 3 bag at best players. Only one worth anything is Lindgren but he doesn't add up to Duke and Ekamps by any means.

Every trade that dumb arse in LETH has made he has gotten the crap end of the deal. No wonder why that franchise is being ran into the ground.

Brandon wins our division hands down with adding those 2 pieces into their already offensive power they got.

Thatshockey1965
09-30-2014, 02:46 PM
I dare to say they are favorites to win the WHL with that team. Early prognosis
I know but holy crap. Erkamps is the deal breaker in Brandons favor.

chopper
09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
It kind of makes you wonder why our current GM and the previous one didn't try to consummate a couple trades with Robson….?? It seems as if almost anyone can trade with Lethbridge…and take advantage of them.

Crofter
09-30-2014, 04:05 PM
It kind of makes you wonder why our current GM and the previous one didn't try to consummate a couple trades with Robson….?? It seems as if almost anyone can trade with Lethbridge…and take advantage of them.

KM seems to have some weird spell on referees and fellow GM's.

sbtatter
10-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Hey is Luc Smith likely to join Steel at the U17's this month? Was he at the summer camp?

Bartholamew
10-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Hockeyfights has updated the Hilsendager Yakubowski tilt. http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/124399