PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Winterhawks 3 - Sept 26, 2014

dondo
09-27-2014, 01:09 AM
A decent tilt. No fisticuffs, but the team stood up for their captain when he was viciously levelled from behind.

Giants Freeze Winterhawks
Vancouver 5 Portland 3

The Giants came out with a strong showing early in the first, but sagged a bit after a few poor penalty calls to end the period tied after leading by two. The Hawks came into the game 0-2-0-0 and left 0-3-0-0. Portland dominated the play in the second, but a Giants late goal sent the teams into the second break once again tied. The Giants scored two unanswered in the third to take the win. Rookies Tyler Benson and Vladimir Bobylev scored their first WHL goals in the game.

The home town boys opened the scoring when Jacob Stukel intercepted a pass, faked the shot and slid the puck over to a wide-open Joel Hamilton. Tyler Benson scored a brilliant backhand goal cutting across the crease a little later to give the Giants a 2-0 bulge. The goal was unassisted. The Winterhawks responded with two goals of their own. Capitalising on a soft as melted butter penalty call and then pounced on a scrambly rebound in the final minute to knot the game at 2 going into the break. Portland took their first lead of the game early in the second, scoring on the doorstep. The Gs squandered an extended PP, but managed to find twine in the final minute of the second period to make the score 3-3. Carter Popoff scored a very nice goal with time ticking down. Vladimir Bobylev made a nice pass and Arvin Atwal got the other helper. The Gs added two in the third to salt the victory. Holding the Hawks to 3 shots, to the Giants 18 in the third period the Giants shut-down the Portland squad in the final frame. Bobylev scored a pretty goal from the slot early in the third. Atwal and Hamilton had the helpers. Mid-period captain Dalton Sward scored a gritty tally to get his team some insurance. Jesse Roach, who had an uneven game, got the lone assist.

Team Notes: Jackson Houck and Mason Geertsen rejoined the team after NHL camp/pre-season stints. Rookies Bobylev and Benson notched their first WHL goals.

Zebra Cage: Adam Griffiths and Mike Langin were inconsistent tonight. Soft and invisible first period calls gave the visitors a few chances with the man-advantage. One of which had a Portland player falling into the boards of his own volition and the Giants getting tagged with boarding. Later they put the whistles away, giving the hometown boys a PP chance when their captain was levelled heavily from behind. It was originally put up on the board as a two minute minor, but later changed to a deserved major call against. I was not impressed with Griffiths.

The Giants out shot the Hawks 48-26, really shutting the visitors down in the third period. The Giants went 0 for 3 on the PP, while the Portland squad went 1 for 3.

Some nice work by Sward and Benson. Houck had moments; Geertsen was not at his best. I liked Bobylev’s game. Popoff was all over the ice. Atwal didn’t look pretty, but was a +3. Tyler Morrison played a quietly effective game. Stukel was great early, but a slash caused him to miss the rest of the game. I saw a lot of Ryley McKinstry later in the game, but realized that Osipov hadn’t had a shift in some time so he might have been injured during play. Joel Hamilton was inconsistent. At times brilliant and others sloppy and soft. His battles along the boards were poor and ditto Bellerive who couldn’t maintain possession along the boards.

The Giants take on the hapless Royals on Sunday at the Coliseum. The Royals were pounded by the Blazers in an 8-2 rout in Victoria, for their home opener. The game takes place at 5pm at the Coliseum.

Three Stars

1. Carter Popoff
2. Tyler Benson
3. Vladimir Bobylev

Giantsfan
09-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Osipov was benched after a soft penalty in the first period. I just hope this isn't like last year where Hay didn't play him. Get the guy some ice time.

It is clear this team needs a puck moving defenseman. I've said it from day one. With Kulak & Thrower gone, this team has nobody who can rush the puck & control the play. That was evident on that extended two man advantage.

Benson was the best player on the ice. As much as I'm not a Lee fan he didn't have a chance on the goals & made some nice saves in the second period. He did bobble the puck on the one Portland goal but other than that he made the saves to give his team a chance to win.

I agree the officiating wasn't great. There were two separate instances in the second period when Houck was hauled down & another when Foster was grabbed, then thrown to the ice, both within 10 feet of the ref who didn't call either. Blatant calls that weren't.

Again, when is Roach going to get involved? Two games, two scrums where he's standing there not sure what to do. Grab someone & at least hold them out of the scrum. Second game in a row where Sward was hammered. I thought a line brawl was about to happen but the officiating separated the players & cooler heads prevailed.

Scratched, McClelland, Menell, Dosanjh, Baer, Porter, Ronning (injured)

I actually enjoyed this game much more than the home opener last week. Way more feeling in the game, several scrums & Portland didn't mail it in like the Royals. This was the Giants best chance to beat Portland since they didn't have Petan, Bjorkstrand & starting goalie Brendan Burke playing. They are still a dangerous team not be taken lightly.

Next up Sunday against the Royals who will be playing their third game in as many nights. No excuses. The Giants should come out & lay the boots to them. They Royals have all their players back except for Kanzig who is at the Calgary Flames camp. I doubt he'll be back in time to play Sunday. I expcet a much better effort from the Royals than we saw last week.

One more thing. Another horrendous crowd. Maybe 3,000 in the building. Not even close to the 4,100 announced. The fans missed a great game with Benson & Bobylev both scoring their first WHL goals.

Priceisright
09-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Portland rebuilding? And I though Victoria was suppose to be good? I believe they have a bid for the memorial cup?

Giantsfan
09-27-2014, 11:24 AM
No, Victoria dropped out for the bid of the 2016 Memorial Cup.

I definitely don't believe the Hawks are rebuilding. Besides losing Pouliot , Leipsic & Dumba this team is still a dangerous & top calibre team.

Lucic
09-27-2014, 10:34 PM
It is clear this team needs a puck moving defenseman. I've said it from day one. With Kulak & Thrower gone, this team has nobody who can rush the puck & control the play. That was evident on that extended two man advantage.

I agree but it's easier said than done to acquire a guy like that. What bothers me is not seeing Osipov on the PP. He has the best shot from the point by far. He should be a permanent fixture on the PP. Why the hell is Geertsen on the PP? That is just dumb. He will never be a point producer at any point in his career and doesn't belong on any power play whatsoever. I realize it would be nice to have a left handed shot from the point but it's not going to happen with him. It just bothers me seeing him out there and not a guy that can shoot the puck like Osipov.

They Royals have all their players back except for Kanzig who is at the Calgary Flames camp. I doubt he'll be back in time to play Sunday.

Kanzig is back in Victoria now. In fact he's playing tonight against Kamloops so he should be in tomorrow.

Giantsfan
09-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Yeah Kanzig is back, all 6'7" 240 lbs of him.

I'm sure if Osipov wasn't benched he would have been on that power play. We saw in the preseason that he has a great shot & only because of Ward's subborness that Osipov was benched. So he took a bad penalty, so what? They won the game & he's not gonna improve by riding the pine. Didn't like that move by Ward one bit.

Lucic
09-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm sure if Osipov wasn't benched he would have been on that power play. We saw in the preseason that he has a great shot & only because of Ward's subborness that Osipov was benched. So he took a bad penalty, so what? They won the game & he's not gonna improve by riding the pine. Didn't like that move by Ward one bit.

Agreed. The penalty was also early in the game not at a crucial point where it could have cost the team the game. There was plenty of time to make up for any damage that might have caused. Osipov is already behind because he didn't get much of an opportunity last season. He should be playing a lot more now, not sitting on the bench. That was a poor time to try and make a statement by Ward in my opinion.