PDA

View Full Version : Woods/Priestner Not impressing me

twentyone
10-02-2014, 09:11 AM
What's going on with this circus early in the season. So much optimism from these two guys during training camp and yet now we are 4 games into the reg. season and this team has 9 players that didn't start training camp with the Blades. 4 games into the season and they have started 3 different goaltenders and about to start their 4th in five games. I realize the scouting staff is still in place but how do 2 guys that are very new to this league (especially Woods) make that many moves in a short period of time. I guarantee they haven't seen any of these players play a single game of hockey. It doesn't make sense. They have/had a young hard working team last year, Yes they only won 16 games but they worked hard and showed some promise, everyone knows its a rebuilding team start acting like it. Other than the Scherbak trade not one of the other trades seem to benefit the long term future of this team. And on that note of Scherbak to me it was crazy to draft 2 euro's fully aware Scherbak was not going to stick with the Habs. They could of used a guy like that early in the season to provide offense and could of got a lot more for a player like that come trade deadline.

Players are going to start playing with fear of possibly getting released for having a bad game.

All in all 4 games into the season I am not very impressed with this group running the team. Doesn't make sense to make moves just to make moves. I realize this is a business but these are kids.

curwie
10-02-2014, 09:57 AM
What's going on with this circus early in the season. So much optimism from these two guys during training camp and yet now we are 4 games into the reg. season and this team has 9 players that didn't start training camp with the Blades. 4 games into the season and they have started 3 different goaltenders and about to start their 4th in five games. I realize the scouting staff is still in place but how do 2 guys that are very new to this league (especially Woods) make that many moves in a short period of time. I guarantee they haven't seen any of these players play a single game of hockey. It doesn't make sense. They have/had a young hard working team last year, Yes they only won 16 games but they worked hard and showed some promise, everyone knows its a rebuilding team start acting like it. Other than the Scherbak trade not one of the other trades seem to benefit the long term future of this team. And on that note of Scherbak to me it was crazy to draft 2 euro's fully aware Scherbak was not going to stick with the Habs. They could of used a guy like that early in the season to provide offense and could of got a lot more for a player like that come trade deadline.

Players are going to start playing with fear of possibly getting released for having a bad game.

All in all 4 games into the season I am not very impressed with this group running the team. Doesn't make sense to make moves just to make moves. I realize this is a business but these are kids.

The only move I didn't like was dealing Ottenbreit to Seattle. But I see where we needed some veteran help on D cause quite frankly, our d zone play has been hot garbage. I wouldn't expect much out of this team this year. Imo as long as they get better as the season progresses that's what I'm looking for.

Madmax
10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
The only move I didn't like was dealing Ottenbreit to Seattle. But I see where we needed some veteran help on D cause quite frankly, our d zone play has been hot garbage. I wouldn't expect much out of this team this year. Imo as long as they get better as the season progresses that's what I'm looking for.

Should never have traded Ottenbreit. Bad mistake that will come back to haunt them in the future.

curwie
10-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Should never have traded Ottenbreit. Bad mistake that will come back to haunt them in the future.

Well at least we only play them once a year, that said, it's gonna bother me for the next 3 or 4 years reading or hearing of his success!

Madmax
10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Well at least we only play them once a year, that said, it's gonna bother me for the next 3 or 4 years reading or hearing of his success!

Sorry, didn't mean a mistake in head to head games. I meant trading a very promising 17 year old D-man for a 20 year old. Shouldn't have happened especially when they are in full blown rebuilding mode.

Sttop
10-03-2014, 09:47 AM
He was the best Blade player in the game against PA . I actually mentioned it in my post that night . Makes no sense to me

curwie
10-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Sorry, didn't mean a mistake in head to head games. I meant trading a very promising 17 year old D-man for a 20 year old. Shouldn't have happened especially when they are in full blown rebuilding mode.

I knew what you meant. I was agreeing with you.

curwie
10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
He was the best Blade player in the game against PA . I actually mentioned it in my post that night . Makes no sense to me

I thought he played well that game also. One of the few highlights for me that night being in enemy territory! Haha

Trav
10-03-2014, 07:53 PM
So already 3-0 for the Tigers, whose going to be the next starter? The team has become a joke to watch.

curwie
10-03-2014, 09:03 PM
So already 3-0 for the Tigers, whose going to be the next starter? The team has become a joke to watch.

So many things wrong with this team right now. Hard to be patient.

Madmax
10-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Maybe the brain trust will get together and make a few more trades. This team is not going to the playoffs for a very long time. This all started when they traded for Colin Olson who everyone but them knew he wasn't coming here. Why is Woods making all these trades when he knows nothing about what he is trading for. Every trade he has made his interview starts out with "Well I heard". He doesn't know the league or the players. Slow down. There is lots of time when your rebuilding.

Madmax
10-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Otto played AAA midget with the Parkland Mallers last year. He was brought up for the playoffs with the Yorkton terriers. This 16 year old played a regular shift because of injuries all the way to a Canadian Championship. Is that not great experience for a young player who is trying to move up to the WHL? And he gets shipped off for a 20 year old that may have been picked up later for very little or nothing. Talk about shooting yourself again.

JMoney1988
10-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Just a side note, Nikita has 3 goals and 1 assist in two games so far with Everett!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madmax
10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Just a side note, Nikita has 3 goals and 1 assist in two games so far with Everett!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do the Blades have 3 goals in 4 games? :D

twentyone
10-10-2014, 01:03 PM
The circus continues. I Checked the Blades roster, I count 12 players on their roster who were not with the organization at the start of training camp. WE ARE 6 GAMES INTO THE SEASON? and a coach and GM who has never worked in this league. It blows me away. I realize they only won 16 games last season but they were young and showed lots of effort and promise. To trade a kid like Turner Ottenbriet for a 20 yr old is beyond ridiculous. Can you imagine trying to play for this guy as a young kid, watching players come in and out like a revolving door. They probably don't even unpack after a road trip worried they might be shipped out the next day.

As much criticism Molleken took he was a very respected coach and GM. He always thought about the player first. These are kids, He always respected that fact. Yes I know hockey is a business but when your dealing with 16-19 yr. old kids its a different story. See Derak Hulak trade, and see Matt Revel trade.

I was so excited for this season and planned on going to many games but to be honest with you I have already lost interest. And it has nothing to do with the players or their losing streak. These poor kids have a different line mate and teammate every practice.

curwie
10-10-2014, 05:37 PM
The circus continues. I Checked the Blades roster, I count 12 players on their roster who were not with the organization at the start of training camp. WE ARE 6 GAMES INTO THE SEASON? and a coach and GM who has never worked in this league. It blows me away. I realize they only won 16 games last season but they were young and showed lots of effort and promise. To trade a kid like Turner Ottenbriet for a 20 yr old is beyond ridiculous. Can you imagine trying to play for this guy as a young kid, watching players come in and out like a revolving door. They probably don't even unpack after a road trip worried they might be shipped out the next day.

As much criticism Molleken took he was a very respected coach and GM. He always thought about the player first. These are kids, He always respected that fact. Yes I know hockey is a business but when your dealing with 16-19 yr. old kids its a different story. See Derak Hulak trade, and see Matt Revel trade.

I was so excited for this season and planned on going to many games but to be honest with you I have already lost interest. And it has nothing to do with the players or their losing streak. These poor kids have a different line mate and teammate every practice.

Relax. The team will and is getting better. Almost pulled it off against a tough Tri City team last night. Woods has stated that this is his team now for the most part. Here's hoping for a win Saturday and maybe the start of a little run.

Uknownothing
10-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Relax. The team will and is getting better. Almost pulled it off against a tough Tri City team last night. Woods has stated that this is his team now for the most part. Here's hoping for a win Saturday and maybe the start of a little run.

Almost against a tired looking Americans team with their back up in that has a career GAA of 3.77 SAV% of 8.92 granted his numbers are better in the three games he has started this year. Please explain to me how its going to get better with absolutely no offence what so all on this team besides mabey Sloboshan. Even when Graham comes back we will still be lacking enough offence to win. And scoring by committee isn't going to work this year ,we are on pace to set a league record low for goals for and we don't have the defence or the goal tending we need to keep the puck out of the net. I know its only six games in but really come on you actually see a up swing to this .Lets call it what it is ( a lost season)and still cheer loud for the young men that we do have because they are probably playing to the best of their abilities and start building next year through the draft with some of these high picks. This will take time so I may sound harsh or a complainer but a realist. NO offence, No defence = not a lot of wins.
GO BLADES GO

curwie
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Almost against a tired looking Americans team with their back up in that has a career GAA of 3.77 SAV% of 8.92 granted his numbers are better in the three games he has started this year. Please explain to me how its going to get better with absolutely no offence what so all on this team besides mabey Sloboshan. Even when Graham comes back we will still be lacking enough offence to win. And scoring by committee isn't going to work this year ,we are on pace to set a league record low for goals for and we don't have the defence or the goal tending we need to keep the puck out of the net. I know its only six games in but really come on you actually see a up swing to this .Lets call it what it is ( a lost season)and still cheer loud for the young men that we do have because they are probably playing to the best of their abilities and start building next year through the draft with some of these high picks. This will take time so I may sound harsh or a complainer but a realist. NO offence, No defence = not a lot of wins.
GO BLADES GO

Truthfully I can't argue with much of what you wrote there. That's why I was upset that the ownership fired Dave last year. He got all he could and more out of that group. With that being said, I believe Woods was, and still is a terrific hire. I'm not sure that Dave would have got more out of this group to start the year. I still believe the team will get a lot better as the year goes on. They may not make the playoffs but we will see improvement. They D is a lot better now that they have made a few changes. (The Turner O. trade not withstanding)
The merry go round of trades and releases was obviously disruptive. Many of those moves needed to be made though. Now that has settled down, and guys will start to gel. Scoring will be hard to come by. They will have to play good in there own end, and gride it out offensively. Great goaltending wouldn't hurt either. Great goaltending can make a below average team much better.
All imho of course.

Madmax
10-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Last night was the first game I have seen this season. A couple of observations besides not a whole bunch of talent, Haven't seen a PP breakout like that one since the late 70's and watching Henry and wondering how anyone makes that trade. I would have asked for a draft pick just for taking him. That being said, its early and things do change for the better sometimes. Will reserve judgement for just a bit longer.

curwie
10-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Nice to finally get a w.

puckdad
10-11-2014, 10:49 PM
A well deserved win. Saskatoon was the better team tonight.

Section17
10-14-2014, 10:48 AM
That felt so good to see the boys pick up a win this weekend.

curwie
10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Huge shootout win in speedy creek. Sounds like the boys are starting to come together. Alex Moodie played well.

curwie
10-17-2014, 11:02 PM
3's a streak! Gotta give credit when credits due guys. The boys are playing hard.

Madmax
10-19-2014, 06:30 PM
3's a streak! Gotta give credit when credits due guys. The boys are playing hard.

Watched the Red Deer game. Was happy with the compete level most of the Blades showed. A couple of floaters out there like Forsberg. Biggest concern was in the physical department. Blade players taking huge hits that are going to catch up with them. They have some players who just aren't physically able to compete in a hitting game when it starts. Didn't go to the Edmonton game so can't comment.

curwie
10-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Watched the Red Deer game. Was happy with the compete level most of the Blades showed. A couple of floaters out there like Forsberg. Biggest concern was in the physical department. Blade players taking huge hits that are going to catch up with them. They have some players who just aren't physically able to compete in a hitting game when it starts. Didn't go to the Edmonton game so can't comment.

Edmonton game was what it was. A very good team putting on a clinic against an average team. Our defensive zone play isn't nearly as good as it needs to be when facing a team like that. The boys played hard right till the final whistle though. Hopefully we can take 2 out of the next 3 games at home next week.

Side note, Evan Polei sure is a tough sob isn't he?

Madmax
10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Edmonton game was what it was. A very good team putting on a clinic against an average team. Our defensive zone play isn't nearly as good as it needs to be when facing a team like that. The boys played hard right till the final whistle though. Hopefully we can take 2 out of the next 3 games at home next week.

He sure is. Just ask Issac Schacher.

Section17
10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
He sure is. Just ask Issac Schacher.

Saw him walking around the rink during the Oil Kings game and he was sporting a nice shiner. Nice to see Blades players stepping in for each other and standing up for themselves this year.

Uknownothing
10-21-2014, 01:02 PM

The Blades sure lack toughness , I guess we should of kept Mr. Polei considering he has put three of our players out of the line up in two years. (Nikkel fight, Zajak hit, Schacher fight).How do you go from 4th line , healthy scratch when Polei was in Saskatoon to playing on a line in Red Deer with Bleakley .I would sure take him back on the team , but Sutter will never give him up.

curwie
10-21-2014, 07:04 PM
The Blades sure lack toughness , I guess we should of kept Mr. Polei considering he has put three of our players out of the line up in two years. (Nikkel fight, Zajak hit, Schacher fight).How do you go from 4th line , healthy scratch when Polei was in Saskatoon to playing on a line in Red Deer with Bleakley .I would sure take him back on the team , but Sutter will never give him up.

Yup, we gave up on him to quickly.

Uknownothing
10-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I do like the effort I've seen in the last four games ,the compete level is up compared to the first five games.

curwie
10-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Well I wasn't able to make the past 2 games due to work commitments but it sounds like I didn't miss much!

Wow. Forsberg and Sloboshian gone. Ouch.

Madmax
10-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Well I wasn't able to make the past 2 games due to work commitments but it sounds like I didn't miss much!

Last time I seen Portland was in the Memorial cup here. They almost won it with a very good team. Both teams are in rebuilds. I would say I will see Portland in a Memorial Cup before the Blades. This team was schooled in every aspect of the game.

ofhdhdy
10-28-2014, 02:52 AM

I went to the game against Lethbridge and the team played not too bad IMO. Moodie let in three or four goals that should be stopped, which makes me wonder why he got the start the very next game when it's a back to back.

curwie
10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Apparently that 16 year old goaltender Lethbridge has is crazy good.

JMoney1988
10-28-2014, 03:01 PM
I went to the game against Lethbridge and the team played not too bad IMO. Moodie let in three or four goals that should be stopped, which makes me wonder why he got the start the very next game when it's a back to back.

I was wondering the same thing..., plus on Saturday he let me 2 goals he should have stopped...., goal number 1 went right through his legs and goal number 3 was a east flutter shot that he missed saving......, on the third goal the Blades were putting on pressure and were down 2-1, Soshin missed an open net.

Madmax
10-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I was wondering the same thing..., plus on Saturday he let me 2 goals he should have stopped...., goal number 1 went right through his legs and goal number 3 was a east flutter shot that he missed saving......, on the third goal the Blades were putting on pressure and were down 2-1, Soshin missed an open net.

Amundrud played last night and looked pretty good for the most part again. Made some saves at key times and that's what a teams needs from the crease.