PDA

View Full Version : 2 home games (PA & RD)

patsdude114
10-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats Hockey Club announced today goaltender Tyler Fuhr (’95) has temporarily left the team for personal business.

Fuhr has a 1-0-0-0 record this season, stopping 24 of 25 shots in the Pats’ 7-1 win over Moose Jaw on September 26th.

The Pats have recalled goaltender Tyler Brown (’97) from the Winnipeg Blues of the MJHL. Brown has a win in his only appearance with the Blues this season, allowing two goals on 25 shots.

To start things off for this weekend set of games we will have a new backup for abit due to personal reasons for Fuhr leaving the team. Hopefully he is back soon

patsdude114
10-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Well it's been 2 weeks since we've had a home game, too long if you ask me for the start of the year but we get to follow that lay off with a 4 game home stand. Watching last Saturday's game on webcast in PA it was an enjoyable game to watch goals came grouped together on both sides but the best thing of all was it resulted in a Pats win after a come back.

Sounds like Burroughs is back tonight and that leaves me to wonder with only 6 Dmen on our roster what is happening with Hansen..... Is he being moved back to defense for the year or are we still searching for another Dman somewhere else. Imo we don't need Hansen as a forward I'd much rather see the young forwards playin a more regular basis then Hansen taking ice time away from them or possibly even game action in general. I think Hansen could be of use for an older veteran type team since he is a versatile type player and a solid checking and PK guy.

Another guy is McVeigh what's going to happen there as well since D'Amico has gotten a chance he has should the offensive flare that he does have.... Some may not agree with that statement but his numbers last year in Jr. A prove otherwise. I'm not saying he is going to light it up as a 20yr old but he does have the chance to score 15-20..... He has a very good shot and is strong down low things you need from an older guy.

JMoney1988
10-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Hey look at it this way, the last home game we have played is opening night.............., we don't play until next Thursday.......

patsdude114
10-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Ya that does suck for you Blade fans but on the flip side maybe when they get their next home game they will be playing abit better...... One can hope I guess

Bepoleon
10-05-2014, 08:27 AM
I was very impressed with the Pats play last night. Their pace in the second period was outstanding and it appears that they are having fun out there (after D'Amico's goal for instance).

I was a big fan of Malcolm Cameron and thought they made a big mistake letting him go but it seems that the new coach has these players attention and like the style they are playing. I know its only five games in but i like what I've seen so far.

D'Amico is making it a real tough decision for the coaches. The way he's been playing he's gotta a spot on this team. McVeigh is basically waiting to get released or traded.

chopper
10-05-2014, 09:59 AM
interesting game and quite entertaining. It"s good Burroughs stood up but he is too valuable to be taking 17 minutes on a regular basis. they sorely need a heavyweight. As things progress and it gets tougher we need a presence.

It would appear that McVeigh, and Hanson are on their way out. We may be able to move Hanson but I'm not so sure about McVeigh.

Wagner looked like a pro style power forward last night. Kroeker and Smith both did great jobs with Kroeker on the 1st PP unit is encouraging. Steel was electric every time he was on the ice.

RWAH
10-05-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree team pace and the transition are very high tempo, much faster than last year. Not sure if it is coaching or the caliber of players. probable a bit of both. Early to call but Paddock and Stauch are equal to Cameron and Dixon and after 5 game look like an upgrade.
Also agree we need some muscle, a police man, as the season goes on the teams will play the intimidation card and we need to be able to respond. I thought Brandon did that a little in the first two games and we did not respond.

patsdude114
10-05-2014, 11:14 AM
As much as I'd like to see a heavyweight in a Pats jersey they are a thing of the past in today's junior game. Even the guys that are tough and enjoy fighting they are still regular players game in and game out and even more important they play a regular shift. Guys like Paddock (edm) Gabrielle (BRN) are more then willing to drop the Miya but also can score and play hockey. I can't even think of a legit heavyweight in the league this year that's how phased out they are.

I agre I don't want to see Burroughs dropping the mitts much and I don't think we will either unless it's standing up for a teammate just like last night.

I've been saying awhile that D'Amico was a better all around player then McVeigh and with D'Amico being a key PK guy along with scoring 5on5 IT makes him very hard to be let go. I don't think McVeigh has much of a trade market either will be lucky to get an 8th rd pick but I see more of a reassignment/release coming once he is healthy. I do think he will get one game before this happens though.

It's funny how as soon as Williams has a game where he is -1 or -2 (you get the point) certain folks on here are ripping him apart. Plus throws the hit of the night on Hart last night. He's been very steady back there this year

witness
10-05-2014, 12:12 PM
the team does seem to have an upside. I really like our group of 17 year olds. They are playing a regular shift and you can see that they are adapting to the pace of the WHL. I really like 34. he has great vision.

And Patsdude you talk about the Williams haters, I will throw another one out there. How about the Brooks haters? What was he last night? About 80% in the face off circle? Used his speed to create turn overs and to create back pressure. Might never score 30 goals. But, is proving himself to be a realible guy on the PK and on face offs.

patsdude114
10-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Yep I am the first to admit I hated on Brooks cause up until this year he was a unless tit (and that's putting it lightly) he has been playing very well this year. But 80% in te face off circle is alittle high lol I hope he keeps proving me wrong all year long cause it means one thing he is excelling

Bighat
10-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Brooks is still too weak and lacks offensive thinking, but I'll take his pk and face off abilities. I hope he gets stronger and starts to get a little more offensive. Nobody is talking about the power play but this is the best puck movement since the Ederle years, it's nice too see everyone in front of the end line instead of 3 guys behind the end line. With klimchuck this team could do some damage.

chopper
10-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Baddock is the guy in Edmonton and yes he can play some hockey. They had another one last year in Mitch Moroz and he could play some hockey. Edmonton always ensures they have that type of player on it's roster.

Since we for the time being have our 20 year olds, and big rugged player we need will have to be 18 or 19. Brook and Williams still need to prove consistency. After the first half of last season almost everyone on this site was calling for Williams to be traded.

By the end of training camp, most were calling for Brooks to be gone with McVeigh and Kammerer to be a big part of the team. I guess it goes to show you never can tell. Brooks has had a decent start, now he has to show consistency in his 3rd year.

patsdude114
10-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm in agreement that we need a big physical Dman and what a surprise MJ got one today from BRN in Green at 6'7 220lbs

Last night that Tkatch PP goal was simply cause none of our Dmen moved him out from infront of the paint. One guy who has been improving a lot but needs to play more physical is Reagan he has the size and isn't afraid to stop the gloves. Maybe we have one he just needs more grooming

patsdude114
10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
We are sure lucky Wapple showed up at 7pm cause the rest of the team didn't really ever show up for this game. This game should of been over in the 1st period.

Harrison I thought was fighting the pick all night long, I get its going to happen as he isn't that experienced of a Dman but he made easily 5 or 6 just flat out terrible plays.

There isn't a lot of positives to even talk about this game. I guess all that matters is we do good in our divisional games we still got a point from tonight's game but it sure wasn't pretty and we didn't deserve a point at all.

chopper
10-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I agree we got a freebie tonight in the point. There was no real way we deserved it. I get the feeling that we are going to see more than our share of nights like these. We are not a particularly young club but we are very inexperienced, and it showed.

Some observations I made are that we have good speed, we are getting too cute considering we don't have enough finisher type players, we didn't win a battle at either end all night long, RD is flat our bigger than we are, we don't have a true leader.

Kudos again to Burroughs for showing up but he took a pretty good beat down. Scrapping like that every game is simply not his game. He will get hurt if he keeps that up. He showed great courage but he has to be a big minute guy making plays.

Christopher stood up but really he's lucky he wan't fighting an experienced guy at that size. The Eastern Conference and Eastern Division for the most part have big tough teams and every team has a few tough guys. Unfortunately we don't.

RD took it to us physically all game and were looking for partners most of the night. I know their physical play wore us out especially trying to play this finesse game. Some nights we need to own the boards and fight to get to the net. Some smash mouth hockey.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Apart of why Edmonton got as far as they did(and ended up winning) was that they had Baddock, Moroz, and a big mobile defence. If you got toughness to back you up, other players will play with more edge and confidence themselves.

Players who can play and fight sometimes is a neat combo, but we need a tough guy who isn't afraid to go to the box if necessary. I could care less what David Branch wants for the future of major junior....the refs aren't enough to keep players safe. This team needs a fighter. Someone to intimidate, and secure the future guys like steel from liberties. And that player isn't our number one defenceman.

chopper
10-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Apart of why Edmonton got as far as they did(and ended up winning) was that they had Baddock, Moroz, and a big mobile defence. If you got toughness to back you up, other players will play with more edge and confidence themselves.

Players who can play and fight sometimes is a neat combo, but we need a tough guy who isn't afraid to go to the box if necessary. I could care less what David Branch wants for the future of major junior....the refs aren't enough to keep players safe. This team needs a fighter. Someone to intimidate, and secure the future guys like steel from liberties. And that player isn't our number one defenceman.

Very well put and it says it all…..also it makes me feel a little less the dinasauor I know I am…:)

My concern is for the young guys like Steel, Kroeker, and the rest. Tonight RD took a couple liberties with Steel that really shouldn't be allowed. If Burroughs or Christopher goes after someone, they may not do well and we lose them for 17 minutes.

That's now two games in a row where Burroughs has had to answer the bell. It's good on him and all….but really? He is the captain and all but he is being thrust into a role he isn't equipped for. Teams will try to goad him into 17 mins and he's lost for a period.

Coming from the Flyers organization I wonder if Paddock wouldn't see and understands that, because he should. The Flyers always have had a supply of guys who can take care of business. We need that type of leader. If the leaders lead the followers will follow.

sbtatter
10-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Very well put and it says it all…..also it makes me feel a little less the dinasauor I know I am…:)

My concern is for the young guys like Steel, Kroeker, and the rest. Tonight RD took a couple liberties with Steel that really shouldn't be allowed. If Burroughs or Christopher goes after someone, they may not do well and we lose them for 17 minutes.

That's now two games in a row where Burroughs has had to answer the bell. It's good on him and all….but really? He is the captain and all but he is being thrust into a role he isn't equipped for. Teams will try to goad him into 17 mins and he's lost for a period.

Coming from the Flyers organization I wonder if Paddock wouldn't see and understands that, because he should. The Flyers always have had a supply of guys who can take care of business. We need that type of leader. If the leaders lead the followers will follow.

Agree with both you guys. No one in the East Div has a straight out fighter though hey?

D cherry
10-06-2014, 08:26 AM
We no that defence need work . Someone should let Regain no that he is a defence man . Someone said he needs grooming A lot of it I think

Shooter
10-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Right now they key is adding some.... ignorance and size and hitter on the blue line.

Lets face it if Williams or Burroghs gets hurt we are in big trouble on nightly basis!

The young defence are showing a lot of deficiencies right now and we are allowing way too many breakaways which is something you have to control as wapple and fuhr are bailing us out a lot!

The d also allows guys in front of net infact 1 player had time to do a 360 and still get shot/goal which is hurting us. We have not played..... a lot in our end yet but other teams are now targeting the youth with match up etc. and dumping and chasing for certain times of game and running at d.

The coaching staff know the concerns on the backend as they are watching it and look for a deal to be in the works. Green would have been perfect fit size wise but is he 20? or 19? Maybe we need to deal with MJ as Paddock and Hunter have to be old friends on the ice!

Shooter
10-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Overview of Regina Pats Fan Base:

Regina Population- 220,000
1/2 Hour Population-15,000 Projected
1 Hour Population-50,000 Projected

Brand Centre Capacity- 6136

Game 1- 4783 Fans vs Brandon 78% Capacity
Game 2- 3752 Fans vs PA 61% Capacity
Game 3- 3156 Fans vs Red Der 51% Capacity

Someone really needs to look at some branding and marketing and go watch some college hockey at UND or Minnesota!

There is no reason not to fill up the BRANDT Centre with the population associated with the Regina Pats.

Give the players and staff each 20 tickets each to give away to kids/families/friends ONLY 500 extra in attendance.
Quick math on income generated:
$10 each- $5,000 income per game
$20 each-$10,000 income per game
$25 each-$12,500 income per game

Not sure who gets concession funds or percentages but just 1 concept and other initiatives need to be addressed.

Why not blanket the local schools give away tickets to youth who will bring or convince mom and dads or grand parents to games!

What if we had 5800-6000 fans per game?

chopper
10-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I like a lot of aspects of our team. We have Sam Steel and well we have Sam Steel. Unfortunately we have nothing that comes close to his abilities. It concerns me that we may end up in the Eberle syndrome. I hope not. We need to be a little less cute in our game.

I think most Pats fans agree that we need to stiffen up our lineup. The players we currently have doesn't necessarily translate into success. There will need to be an evolving process take place. We need to find the right mix for this team if we want fans to buy in.

There are a lot of concerns on attendance which dates back a while. Firstly we have to win consistently (championships that is) and become a perennial contender like other squads. 6pm games are horrid since it interferes directly with supper. Families don't like it.

There are a lot of gimmicks out there and I have no idea which might work. I think attendance issues are a problem throughout the league, especially the less successful teams. Right now we have parking issues, game time issues, poor sound systems, etc. Right now the experience doesn't wow a person much. Same music for like seven years. At least they got rid of the blow-up dog. Maybe a mini-laser light show or whatever after a Pats goal. I think a Memorial Cup run would do it too!

Quarter Century Fan
10-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Last year the people on this site were blaming the poor ticket sales on the ownership of the Pats, it is obviously a deeper problem than that. :o

Crofter
10-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Last year the people on this site were blaming the poor ticket sales on the ownership of the Pats, it is obviously a deeper problem than that. :o

The ownership was a nice change for some, but it doesn't change anything for a non-fan or a fan who has been checked out for a long time. Those people will need time.

A good on-ice product will help bring in some people, but it will take being fan friendly and accessible to bring in the rest.

I also don't want to tell too many tales, but there are a few sections in the Brandt Centre which are full of crotchety, grumpy, know-it-all types who are really annoying to the more casual fan (ie: don't tell adults that their excitement during certain plays is misinformed). I switched from season tickets to a flex pack to avoid these types because my section was full of them. I guess that is not the team's problem but most people want to be around happy and fun people...

sbtatter
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
The coaching staff know the concerns on the backend as they are watching it and look for a deal to be in the works. Green would have been perfect fit size wise but is he 20? or 19? Maybe we need to deal with MJ as Paddock and Hunter have to be old friends on the ice!

Green will make the team softer. Big guy, not an ounce of toughness. He's 19 and lost out to a 16 year old and two 17 year olds who are either more skilled (Clague) or tougher (Matsuba) or both (Taraschuk)

D cherry
10-06-2014, 06:31 PM
It's not always about a big D man you could go with a strong power forward that's not shy when the time is right

chopper
10-07-2014, 09:28 AM
There will be some gritty guys available in due course, but numbers and circumstances play a role for the Pats. Unless they can engineer a good old fashioned hockey trade, I don't see them using draft picks. We are already far too short in the next two drafts.

Bell and Cooke appear to be headed for release but they are both 20 years olds and we currently have our compliment. Bell could be a help but barring anything unforeseen that won't happen. D"Amico has played well so far and deserves to stay.

Lethbridge have a few 18 and 19 year olds we could use, however we need to find room for this type of player. Carter Folk would be a good addition but we would likely have to give up a draft pick and we simply can't give anymore away.

We haven't paid for Leier, Schacher, or Padakin yet.