PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Blazers 7 - Oct 22, 2014

dondo
10-23-2014, 01:16 AM
Somebody tell me what happened in the third period. Cause when you've got momentum coming out of intermission and you crap the bed like that, there has got to be an explanation.

Blazers Burn Giants
Vancouver 2 Kamloops 7

I was working so didn’t really listen to enough of this game. I heard almost all of the second and most of the first, but I suppose I should have listened to what looks like a disastrous third. Ridiculous. Gaining momentum, coming out of intermission and then allowing 4 unanswered? Someone didn’t want to win. They should have been stepping up their game, not floundering. So now the Giants have still not won on the road and having a third period breakdown like that is frankly inexcusable. You can take the loss, but Porter was pretty solid in the second in relief so how do the wheels fall off so stupidly? Were the goals against good ones? I hate losses like this. All this screams to me is lazy, sloppy, careless hockey. 3 of those goals were even strength. Un-freaking-acceptable. The Blazers are not that good of a team, they just aren’t.

The Blazers took a 3-0 lead in the first and second, scoring two of those on back-to-back shifts very early in the second period, chasing Lee from the cage before Thomas Foster found twine mid-way through the middle frame. Arvin Atwal to Alec Baer and Baer to Foster who finally pounded home his own rebound. With time ticking down in the second, Dalton Sward finished off the play, tipping a Tyler Morrison shot past Cole Kehler. Tyler Benson showed patience getting the puck back to Morrison at the point, for the second assist. The Giants had momentum going into the second intermission then folded like a cheap suitcase in the third. The Blazers scored three even-strength and 1 PP marker to cruise to a dominant victory and embarrass the struggling road Gs.

Team Notes: Atwal was the only plus on the team tonight at +1. Bellerive and Osipov both had –3s hung around their necks by the end of the game. The Giants have still not won on the road this season. Maybe it’s a matter of line-matching or that they need the lift of a home crowd, but they need to not only put up some Ws away from the Coliseum, but do it convincingly. The obvious lack of battle in the third in this game pisses me off.

Zebra Cage: Jeff Ingram in a solo effort and he seemed to call a balanced game for the first two periods. I don’t know what happened in the third. I still prefer the one ref system as I am and will always be old-school where hockey is concerned. Two refs gets too confusing and we have refs 100ft away calling penalties the refs standing right there have already let go – it’s a dumb system.

The Giants were out shot 42-30 as the Blazers posted 14 shots against in every period of the game. We need to be better than that. The Gs PP was abysmal, going 0 for 7, while the Kamloops squad got just 1 for 5.

The Giants head across the pond to Victoria for two straight this weekend and they need to at the very least split those tilts. Their next home game is versus the surging WheatKings on Wed Oct 29th. Make sure to wear your Halloween costumes.

Three Stars

1. Cole Ully
2. Cole Kehler
3. Ryan Rehill

No Hardhats: no-one earned one.

Giantsfan
10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I watched the game. A lot of passengers last night. It's tough to say who was their best player last night because there wasn't one player that stood out. I wasn't even mad. You could just tell that they weren't playing well & I'm not surprised by the outcome.

Neither Lee nor Porter played well. Sure, they both made a few nice saves but they weren't stellar, or even close. The defense in front was plain awful. The goals were either two on ones, or shots from the circle, scrambles in front. It was not a pretty game. Guys standing around not picking up their man, nobody getting knocked down in front of the goal. Defensively, this was the worst they've looked in some time.

The funny thing is, the Blazers didn't even play that good. The Giants were just that bad! Somehow Atwal was a +1 at the end. LOL

The lack of a power play quarterback was evident last night. Two man advantage I don't think even produced a shot, Four minute power play was so anemic & the Giant made it easy for the Blazers to kill it off. Ward continues to use Geertsen on the power play. I'm sorry but he's gotta be able to keep his shot low & on the net.

I think Benson was benched in the third period. I could be wrong but I didn't see much of him out there. It was so bad, the lack of effort when they came close, then the third period came & the game was over.

Scratches were Ramsay, McClelland, Menell & Roach. I'm not happy to see McClelland sit four of the last five games but he's in the coaches dog house for not fighting in PG.

It's games like this that bring the team back to reality.

If they don't step it up, those games in Victoria could be ugly.

Priceisright
10-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Hey always wondered is there free streams of the whl?

Thanks

Giantsfan
10-24-2014, 02:03 PM
No, but season ticket holders were offered the road games as part of the season tickets. Some kind of deal. Can't quite recall. You can purchase single games, road games, all games for your team or all WHL games.

Lucic
10-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't like this experiment with Dosanjh playing up front. I understand there are too many bodies on the roster but there has to be a better option than this. I'd rather see one of the forwards scratched playing or even see Morrison back up front. I thought he looked better at forward than he does on defense. Obviously a move will have to be made pretty soon.