PDA

View Full Version : SC home & home and also LETH

patsdude114
10-23-2014, 07:35 PM
so another 3 games in 3 nights and I believe we should be winning at least 2 of these games. SC is off to what many believe is a slow start as many (including myself) picked them to battle it out with BRN this year but so far it is a 1 team race for 1st...

Is anyone else thinking that maybe our Pats filled our last 20yr old spot too soon, I mean today BRN got Richard Nejezchleb back and they now have 14 days to get down to 2 euros. So far imo Padakin has been a complete bust and I would love to see us cut our ties with him and get Nejezchleb instead as he plays a skilled game with grit but at what cost I mean we paid a 3rd rd pick for Padakin and he has don't jack crap for us to this date. Also in other news regarding 20yr olds the Raiders filled their opening today by claiming off waivers Marcus Messier from TC wow another 20yr old who plays a gritty style.

On Pats news before this weekend slate of games Zimmer has been reassigned to Jr. A into the MJHL, I wish him the best and hopefully he gets the ice time needed to develop more, he was not ready for the WHL last season and it really hurt his development.

patsdude114
10-24-2014, 09:43 PM
we lack goal scoring ability there is no question about it.... outside of playing crappy LETH we have score 1 goal or less in 5 of the last 6 games. That may get you a few wins in boring soccer but not in hockey, we get chances but fail to capitalize on our chances.

We were only short handed 4 times so its not like we are taking lots of penalties anymore but our PK is so horrible that even taking 4 or less kills us. This team has a lot of growing pains ahead of us this season, there is no question that Klimchuk will be traded at some point and it wont surprise me either if Burroughs is moved come trade deadline as well. Williams is the only Dman we got who actually tries to throw checks and play a some what tough style of game (even though he is not tough by any means) he has more value to him for us as he will be a 20yr old next year where Burroughs will be gone.

I hope things change soon in terms of offense but I truly don't see it happening anytime soon. This team will get another top pick between 5th & 7th..... I hope im wrong but based on what ive seen the past 6 to 8 games there is very little to prove otherwise. Don't even say 'but we scored 6 against LETH' cause LETH blows arse even on the best of days.

Let's hope tomorrow night is a bit better...... can someone kick Padakin this guy has been so useless

chopper
10-24-2014, 10:53 PM
we lack goal scoring ability there is no question about it.... outside of playing crappy LETH we have score 1 goal or less in 5 of the last 6 games. That may get you a few wins in boring soccer but not in hockey, we get chances but fail to capitalize on our chances.

We were only short handed 4 times so its not like we are taking lots of penalties anymore but our PK is so horrible that even taking 4 or less kills us. This team has a lot of growing pains ahead of us this season, there is no question that Klimchuk will be traded at some point and it wont surprise me either if Burroughs is moved come trade deadline as well. Williams is the only Dman we got who actually tries to throw checks and play a some what tough style of game (even though he is not tough by any means) he has more value to him for us as he will be a 20yr old next year where Burroughs will be gone.

I hope things change soon in terms of offense but I truly don't see it happening anytime soon. This team will get another top pick between 5th & 7th..... I hope im wrong but based on what ive seen the past 6 to 8 games there is very little to prove otherwise. Don't even say 'but we scored 6 against LETH' cause LETH blows arse even on the best of days.

Let's hope tomorrow night is a bit better...... can someone kick Padakin this guy has been so useless

Those are pretty much the same feelings I have. I agree that Padakin has been a huge bust. He may play well with a front runner but he doesn't for us. It would be nice if we could recover that 3rd round pick from someone but being an import I think we're stuck.

To a lesser extent D'Amico's play has even dropped a bit. Your 20 year olds need to be impact players. I don't think any of ours fall into that category. Over our last four losses, the winning goals have been scored on the PP or the PK against us. Not good!

I mentioned on a recent post that if we don't start doing some things differently, we can expect a lot of these 3-1 type games. We're playing just good enough to be close but lose. They want to play the up tempo skill game without up tempo skill guys.

The question that begs to be answered is that while we have lots of younger talent, is it the "right" younger talent. I have long felt the makeup of this team is sorely lacking something. If you are a low scoring group with a poor PK, then life gets real hard quickly.

I think we quickly need to get out of the mindset that this team will be playoff contender, because I can tell you it isn't close at this point. Lack of defense and this free wheeling style will result in more losses than wins. Their quick start fooled people somewhat.

Water reaches it's own level and so will we. Adding vets at this point isn't the answer unless it's a couple of tough customers to monitor the young guys we have. Also the young guys likely to be acquired when we trade off some of our veteran assets.

After winning a pennant I catch myself having perhaps too high expectations of what this team realistically can do. I will need to temper my expectations with reality. The team is likely heading towards what most of us thought they would. It's still hard to do.

Bighat
10-25-2014, 12:00 AM
I think you guys are being a little harsh I think we have the potential to score but were being too fancy. We need to continue to use our speed but need to take the puck to the net. The offence will get better, but we need a big dman, and have to split Burroughs and Williams up. I really don't see a klimchuck trade till after Xmas. All I expect out of this year is to be entertained and a 7-8 place finish.

patsdude114
10-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Don't get me wrong I've been entertained every game this season but ice watched enough junior hockey over 25yrs or so to know when a team has legit scoring power and when they are fooling fans that it's just got goaltending. Yes we play a very enjoyable style to watch and it will help development in the long run but let's be honest here our skill level is not where it needs to be to play this style, this is a run n gun type style but we are missing the horses to play that style.

This style would of been great last year where we had a very strong top 6 forward group. This style brings in growing pains (& don't kid yourself) like I said in the long run it will be good for development but in the early going this is what we're getting as teams figure us out. Until we start burying chances on the rush things are not going to change much.

You can't teach guys to score they either have it in them or they don't but you can't teach skill to get them these chances. Right now a prime example of this is Wagner the kid could have 10-15 goals already this year burn he has what 2? All those prime scoring chances he has gotten makes one wish it was Klimchuk Steel Gay or Hunt getting those chances instead.

Big hat I know your speaking from a fans point of view in hoping for the playoff spot and don't get me wrong I'm hoping for it too but what I've seen over the last 6-8 games is not saying playoff team at all. Sure we will get better over time but remember other teams are going to get better as well.......

chopper
10-25-2014, 08:53 AM
I think you guys are being a little harsh I think we have the potential to score but were being too fancy. We need to continue to use our speed but need to take the puck to the net. The offence will get better, but we need a big dman, and have to split Burroughs and Williams up. I really don't see a klimchuck trade till after Xmas. All I expect out of this year is to be entertained and a 7-8 place finish.

You make some good points and I agree that we need some defensive help. I think you would agree that we won't succeed offensively until we improve defensively. They simply go hand in hand. I also agree we need to score some ugly goals on the cycle. We are trying to play like Portland does, but you need a certain type of talent to play that way. Look at the talent Portland had at the beginning of their turn around all the way up to and including today. It's far better talent than we've had, or in fact have now.

We need to model ourselves somewhat after Edmonton. Fast, big and efficient. The one thing we need to understand is that we are not a real young team in age. In fact the last time I checked Brandon was younger that we are. We are however quite inexperienced. We may get younger after the trade deadline and I'm thinking that will happen. I don't think any comments have been unduly harsh at all. Once the losses start adding up I think that you will see frustration creep into the mix and there may be some tough comments.

Right now we're trying to score off the rush and that's hard. Not many scored in the "Show" that way. It's nice to watch but other teams just plug the middle and your toast. You need very specific talent to play that game i.e. it's not Wagners type of game. I'm not convinced the style we're playing is a fit for the talent we have. Like has been said before this will very likely be a very tough season with many frustrations. As the losses mount so will the criticism, you can mark my words. Right now it's a wait and see period.

crashnbang
10-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Anyone know where I can find a Calgary Flames pink breast cancer T-Shirt for tonight's game? Willing to buy or borrow, Triple XL would be about right ;)

Looking forward to seeing if the Pats can rebound tonight and steer the ship back in the right direction. Hopefully lines are mixed up a bit, more so if we are struggling on the PP or just to score in general. This year is about development not necessarily about winning although of course we want to win but we don't need 28 wins instead of 24 at the expense of player development and chemistry building that leads to more wins in the future. What I'm saying is stay competitive but give some rookies some extra opportunities if the PP isn't working or if a 4 on 4 situation arises. That means, for example, just because Padakin might be the best option based on history, if he is slumping or his effort isn't there, give someone else a chance. Stuff like that so we can gain some confidence and for a rookie, sometimes it just takes 1 or 2 goals to get the ball rolling. Last year this team had such a dominant 1st line we didn't need contributions from the rookies, this year is much different so we better start giving them the opportunity. Can we score 3 or more tonight? Can Wagner finally score on a breakaway because you know he's going to get one? Will Krushen see game action? See you at the rink!

patsdude114
10-25-2014, 04:13 PM
This year is about development not necessarily about winning although of course we want to win but we don't need 28 wins instead of 24 at the expense of player development and chemistry building that leads to more wins in the future.

Im not trying to be a prick here by this comment but the area I bolded does that mean you think we are capable of winning 24 games this year?

Im thinking we will be hard pressed to win 20 games let alone win 20+ again I hope im wrong but with how inexperienced we are I just don't see it As much as I love seeing Paddock role all 4 lines and doesn't care what line faces what line on the opposition in the end it hurts your offensive output cause other teams are using their older guys 20-25 mins a night and our guys are barely cracking 20...

On a totally non hockey related topic/question here.... why on earth do woman have the need to have these stupid duvet covers and they get frustrated with them trying to get the duvet back into the cover properly.... welcome to my life today after work, oh god work ya I want to go back to work lmao

Bighat
10-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Wagner will score you don't get as many oppurtintities as he has had by not having an offensive upside it will come. I like the style we play pressure on the puck and fast transition. We will win 24 + games this year! we have enough talent. Let's see how the boys do tonite.

patsdude114
10-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Wagner gets his offensive chances from his speed and speed alone. You can get all the chances in te world but if you don't know how to score it doesn't matter. I hope he does learn to score on a more consistent basis I guess time will tell.

D cherry
10-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I feel the young boys played well .the older boys on the D line need to pick up the pace # 4 & #5 have given up the first goal in the last three game . they go back to get the puck and lose it . I think it because they are not move fast enough or poor puck control .

Bighat
10-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Williams definitely had a bad game I'm sorry he is just not strong enough and is always out of position after he rushes the puck. Burroughs had a strong game again but is logging a little too much ice time. We have to start going to the net and get some ugly goals were trying to be too cute. We move the puck really nice but that doesn't score goals. We need to get ugly. The penalties have to stop as well.

patsdude114
10-26-2014, 10:20 PM
What are you talking about? We were short handed 2 freaken times, can't help it when the game gets chippy and fights happen along with the ref calling one from each team during scrums.

As for your Williams comment I'm not even bothering besides saying when a Dman rushes the puck (like he does often) it's the trailing forwards responsibility to cover for him. It's very easy to tell which defensemen have the green light to lead rushes and jump into the play.

I'm def not looking too far into this boring game boring cause it wasn't much of a game to watch I hate watching blow outs don't care if it's my team on the good side of a blow out. Beating the snot out of Lethbridge is nothing to brag about we have out scored them what 14-2 in 2 games.

chopper
10-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Blowouts don't really tell you much one way to the other. Usually no team is that good or that bad. In Lethbridges' case an argument could be made I suspect. I doubt that Robson survives the season or at least I would be very surprised if he did.

It would still be good to pry Carter Folk away from them. Saturday's game caused me some distress as I noted it was our 5'10" - 5'11" guys who had to show up. You could see Rigby talking to Burroughs so you knew that something was going to happen.

It wasn't by coincidence that it was our captain they targeted. Beat down our captain and there wouldn't be much left, with the exception of Cole. It is painfully obvious to me that we need to locate a couple gritty guys. One on the front tend and one on the back end.

A scout I respect told me on Saturday that nobody in the league respects us physically, and I for one think that's a big problem. Folk or for sure Aldridge can perhaps be had i think. A stout d-man should be obtainable. We need to improve our physical culture.

When we head out for the West swing we are going to encounter some big tough clubs so had better be prepared. This "team tough" thing is pure B.S. and we don't have it. Burroughs shouldn't be our fight leader, and shouldn't have to take beat downs. Enough!

We are going with a younger squad and there are some expendable vets. I won't name them as we know who they are. We can modify our lineup without hurting ourselves too much, if at all. It's time for Paddock to make a couple meaningful moves.

patsdude114
10-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Im going out on a limb and saying Folk is not for trade especially being 1 of their assistant captains (leaders)

Someone needs to teach Smith how to be a more effective fighter, I think he is lucky if he has landed 1 punch so far this year in his what 3 fights... I fully get that fighting comes with experience but damn he needs to land something soon.

The best part of the game for me last night was when Brooks was sort of jawing with 1 of the LETH Dmen and Jones was there and basically shoed him away with his arm single... pretty much saying 'I would drop you with one punch now run away before I change my mind'

Bighat
10-27-2014, 05:49 PM
I for one feel gay and hunt should be sat down for a game or two. Gay is non existent out there and hunt needs to slow down and pass the puck. He's all over the place and leaving guys open who could score. Williams could be used for trade bait, he still doesn't impress me I know some of you think he's a god but I just don't see it. Gay and Williams in a package deal, they both will play as 20 yrs in this league. Wagner is impressing me more and more and he is hitting the net. If we could get jones out of lethbridge he would add some grit.

Bartholamew
10-27-2014, 06:17 PM
I think it would be benificial for the Pats to bring in someone to teach the boys how to fight. Bouroughs is lucky he is still playing. If the one punch he took on Saturday night would have connected he would still be out. The rookies might step up to the plate if they had some training. Most of the rookies have no experience if they came out of Midget AAA. In the scrums most of the our players are ascared to make eye contact with the opposition in case they are asked to go.:dead:

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-devote-part-of-practice-to-learning-how-to-fight-1.91253

Bartholamew
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
When you see the Pats players skating to the scrums to protect their buddies instead of away from them, that is when you will see this team start to win.:)

chopper
10-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Burroughs could have been seriously hurt in that last fight. He was targeted because there was nobody beside him to come into the fray. Burroughs has had a recent history of concussions, and one good punch could put him out a long time. Fighting isn't his game!

You don't go anywhere in this league unless you have a physical presence. That's something Paddock evidently hasn't learned yet. He can't expect rookies like Cole and Smith to be his tough guys. He can't expect Burroughs to scrap on a regular basis. Who's left?

Last year we had Stevenson, Zgraggen, Christopher and even Tye Hand for a while. There was plenty of toughness and the team seemed to be very tight. You can see that sorely lacking because we don't have enough of that type of player in our lineup.

Rookies and skill guys play far better when they know someone has their back. Guys like Burroughs can concentrate on what they do best. It will be sad if managements inaction causes some like Burroughs to get seriously hurt fulfilling a role others should be.

patsdude114
10-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Not sure if anyone knows but Fuhr is back with the team and is practicing today. I thought I saw him at Sunday's game as well

Shooter
10-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Chopper and Pats dude:

Very good points Burroughs must stop fighting as we loose him on the backend we are ucked! He has concussion trouble so a gamble every time he fights and if he breaks his hand then what.

Fighting will be out of the NHL in the next 2-4 years and just look at the players this year that do NOT have jobs in the NHL this season. It is already having an impact in the WHL as well.

They key is finding players that play with an edge, battle, compete, and can skate and have skill.

Paddock is looking for a sargent player but he has to be the right fit for club and right now I'm not sure he has value in the guys he may want to move right now either!

This is not Mr. Paddocks first rodeo and it will be addressed if needed per forthcoming direction of team.....I still think staff are finding this out as we cleanup up Hurricanes but need to roll the table to get back to 500 hockey as a starting point and if this is achieved a Plan will be structured!

Crofter
10-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Chopper and Pats dude:

Very good points Burroughs must stop fighting as we loose him on the backend we are ucked! He has concussion trouble so a gamble every time he fights and if he breaks his hand then what.

Fighting will be out of the NHL in the next 2-4 years and just look at the players this year that do NOT have jobs in the NHL this season. It is already having an impact in the WHL as well.

They key is finding players that play with an edge, battle, compete, and can skate and have skill.

Paddock is looking for a sargent player but he has to be the right fit for club and right now I'm not sure he has value in the guys he may want to move right now either!

This is not Mr. Paddocks first rodeo and it will be addressed if needed per forthcoming direction of team.....I still think staff are finding this out as we cleanup up Hurricanes but need to roll the table to get back to 500 hockey as a starting point and if this is achieved a Plan will be structured!

I agree with you. A lot of things have made fighting impractical in hockey these last few years, and I also feel a formal ban is close. I admit to enjoying the fighting in hockey, but I also enjoy the international game - so I think I can adapt to life after fighting.

The implication for the Pats and Paddock, is that there probably is no need for the team to develop fighters. At the same time, fighting is part of the league right now and the Pats need a way to address that part of the game without giving up much. Paddock has some hard decisions to make.

As for getting back to .500, I hope it happens! I know every game counts the same, but I find the teams seem to find their identity and and play more interesting games after Christmas. I'm going to hold off of judgement for a while.

patsdude114
10-29-2014, 11:08 AM

I personally don't think fighting will ever truly be taken out of the game but yes they are weeding out the goon type players who's only roles are to play 3-5mins a night and fight the other teams tough guys. There is no room for these types of players anymore as they contribute ZERO to todays game.

They have already cracked down on the whole BS 'staged fights' I for one am glad they have as they are pointless fights. Sure a fight is a fight and ill watch it and enjoy it just like any other fight but the whole meaning behind a stage fight is pointless. Its like back in high school so and so is going to fight so and so at 4pm at the basketball court cause 1 person said something the other person didn't like.

The fights they will never take out of the game are the fights that happen from a battle in the corner and both players come out pjssed off at each other. Those are the best fights and have meaning behind them and belong in the game. I for one wasn't a huge fan of Cole going to fight the other night when the guy hit Krushen, there was nothing wrong with that hit, clean hits do not deserve fights to follow them.

Shooter
10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Fight and hit -Not sure where you were watching that game but that hit on Krushen was serious and hurt him and his head.

The Broncos player making the hit was cheap on our Krushen a 16 year prospect recalled player.

The key point was the REF should of called a boarding.... call and the momentum may have been controlled however Krushen was hurt the Broncos player should of been ejected.

The officiating was bruttle all night long and Cole kicked his ass and did what a vet is suppose to do for a young prospect or Regina Pats family member.

Bighat
10-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Problem is cole is not a vet he is a rookie as well, rumour has it a deal is in the mix for a rugged forward

crashnbang
10-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Problem is cole is not a vet he is a rookie as well, rumour has it a deal is in the mix for a rugged forward

That says even more than about the rookie Cole's character who was ready and willing to stand up for teammate. Krushen was no where near the puck, that was the main problem and someone had to step up to the plate. Quite clear Patsdude doesn't quite understand what interference is, and a dirty interference play at that.

patsdude114
10-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Really the puck wasn't there? How blind are you? Both Krushen and Leth were going to the puck, Krushen was trying to keep the puck in the zone.

These hits happen all the time, I bet tonight it happens min 7 times... the only difference is Krushen doesn't have the weight or size yet that's why he ended up on the wrong side of that hit, he was fully expecting the hit.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/125008 here is a link to the play followed by the fight again. There is no way Leth should of gotten a penalty on that hit as it was a routine play that happens tons of times in a game... Oh right Leth only got a 5min major for fighting I guess the ones being paid to ref the game see the same thing as I did.

Its time for a few people to take off the rose coloured glasses and watch a hockey game as a fan of the game first before a fan of the Pats and only seeing things 1 way

crashnbang
11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Really the puck wasn't there? How blind are you? Both Krushen and Leth were going to the puck, Krushen was trying to keep the puck in the zone.

These hits happen all the time, I bet tonight it happens min 7 times... the only difference is Krushen doesn't have the weight or size yet that's why he ended up on the wrong side of that hit, he was fully expecting the hit.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/125008 here is a link to the play followed by the fight again. There is no way Leth should of gotten a penalty on that hit as it was a routine play that happens tons of times in a game... Oh right Leth only got a 5min major for fighting I guess the ones being paid to ref the game see the same thing as I did.

Its time for a few people to take off the rose coloured glasses and watch a hockey game as a fan of the game first before a fan of the Pats and only seeing things 1 way

Although the puck is close to Krushen, the player that made the hit had no intent on battling for the puck and only making the hit. Until Krushen touches the puck he cannot legally be hit (maybe he does touch the puck I can't tell). It is something that can be a tough call to make at full speed but I bet if the ref had a chance to see the replay he'd make the call. Also, even if it was/is a clean hit, good for the team standing up for one another - especially a young inexperienced D-Man. I bet you Paddock would take that instigator penalty over and over again and be proud of his team for coming together instead everyone sitting back and doing nothing especially in a game this early in the season with an inexperienced team trying to find their identity and build chemistry.

Whether Krushen expected the hit or not is irrelevant.

RWAH
11-01-2014, 04:19 PM
im with crashnbang Krusher has not touched the puck and that is interference, The hit is also an elbow to the ear hole and the league is clamping down on head shots LOL. Because a player is going after the puck he is not fair game to knock on his keister. As we all agree good on Ryker Cole.

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2014, 04:34 PM
If you go by the letter of the law, that is an interference penalty every time. Leth completely ignores the puck, and flattens Krushen before he gets to the puck. However, the officials won't make that call most of the time, and reserve it for when they want to 'even up' the penalties a little, or even stick it to one of the teams a bit for whatever reason.

patsdude114
11-01-2014, 04:45 PM
If you slow that clip right down it is a well timed hit by Leth on Krushen his stick is right by the puck (don't think he did touch it yet) I for 1 would be very upset if there was a penalty called on that against the Pats for the exact same play. It was def not a head shot either try pausing it right at the point of impact (not hard to do) there is no penalty there at all but yes good on Cole for stepping up and fighting him even if it is off a clean hit, although I hate those types of fights off clean hits.

crashnbang
11-01-2014, 05:30 PM
If you slow that clip right down it is a well timed hit by Leth on Krushen his stick is right by the puck (don't think he did touch it yet) I for 1 would be very upset if there was a penalty called on that against the Pats for the exact same play. It was def not a head shot either try pausing it right at the point of impact (not hard to do) there is no penalty there at all but yes good on Cole for stepping up and fighting him even if it is off a clean hit, although I hate those types of fights off clean hits.

To say there is no penalty there at all is a pretty bold statement so again I really don't think you understand the rules completely. Now whether the ref's call the penalties to that of the rule book is a whole other story because they don't always do so. Anyhow, I hope we just agree to disagree on this and I don't have any more comments on that play.

patsdude114
11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Lmfao @ you