PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Royals 2 - Oct 24, 2014

dondo
10-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Disinterested boys didn't even show up until the third

Royals Dump Giants
Vancouver 1 Victoria 2

The Gs still haven’t won away from the Coliseum, dropping their third road game by a 2-1 score. It could have been uglier though if Payton Lee hadn’t made some timely saves when the score was 2-0 for the home squad. I was only able to listen to parts of this one, but the Giants had their butts saved a few times by their netminder when they made some very lazy, sloppy give-aways, a lot of those of the gift variety. Blind back passes into the slot are inadvisable at the best of times, but on the PK? What, are you stupid? The boys just can’t seem to generate enough offense on the road and if it continues they will find themselves looking up the standings the entire year. The boys have also struggled with their face-offs and if you add coughing up the puck and lack of scoring to that mix it gets ugly really quick.

Both of the Royals goals came on the PP. They scored on their first PP in the first period and then added another one in the second. The aforementioned give-away, by Dmitry Osipov, gifted the Victoria squad a goal on a platter. Don’t do that my Russian friend, ever. Ward is very quick to bench any player and that could find you in the doghouse for awhile. Carter Popoff finally found some twine early in the third. Picking the top corner off of Mason Geertsen. The Gs had a tough time getting to loose pucks and getting more than one shot at a time on Coleman Vollrath.

Team Notes: Another road loss. Still do not have a win on the road.

Fight Night: Mason Geertsen vs Keegan Kanzig – didn’t hear this one as I came into the game a bit later and it was 38 seconds into the game. Curious to hear how it went, but it’s great to see Geertsen stepping it up. One of the reasons we got him was his mean streak playing in the Eastern Conference.

Zebra Cage: Derek Zalaski and Ryan Benbow – not my favourite pairing by a long shot, but they were okay tonight, although Houck’s goaltender interference was a bit of a joke as it sounded like Lee was being run consistently by the Royals. Also if Sward is injured on Taylor Crunk’s check from behind it’s 5, a game and a match. It sounded like he deliberately accelerated into that on the numbers bash. I have to say the hypocrisy of the refs in this league by punishing the injury and not the act, makes me burn. It sounded 5 and game vicious to me and I have seen and heard enough hockey to know the difference.

The teams had 29 shots apiece. The Royals went 50% tonight going 2 for 4 (2 for 3 at one point) and that was the game. The Gs PK did not sound the least bit solid early and coughing up the puck with sloppy play never helps.

The Gs have another chance to get their first road win as they take on the Royals again tomorrow. Puck drops at the SOMA at 7pm tomorrow. I wonder if Porter will get the nod between the pipes?

Three Stars

1. Coleman Vollrath
2. Payton Lee
3. Travis Brown

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Lee, as it would have been a blow out early if he had not robbed a few Royals.

Giantsfan
10-25-2014, 02:09 AM
Watched the game

The Giants didn't show up until the 3rd period even though Brendan Batchelor said they played fairly well. Not sure what game he was broadcasting because the Gmen mailed in the first 2 periods then they cranked it up early in the 3rd but not getting a lot of quality shots or chances to tie it.

Again, lots of passengers. After that brutal display in Kamloops I thought the boys would come out fired up & Geertsen was up for the challenge. The fight wasn't much, long, but both guys had each other locked out. No damage but a good showing. They fought last yr at the Coliseum.

I thought Sward was completely invisible. He may have even been benched as I didn't notice him almost at all in the 3rd period.

Another game where the special teams were anything but. They've given away points in winable games like today & vs Kamloops because of a terrible pp or poor pk.

Well, another kick at the can tomorrow. See what happens. Gotta win a road game eventually.

Lucic
10-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I thought the Giants were a lot more physical last night which I thought would serve them well. Unfortunately it did not. The last time they played Victoria I thought they were physically dominated by the Royals. So it was nice to see a little push back in that regard. But the offense was non existent once again. One player that was noticeably quiet was Benson. Not that I'm trying to rag on him just making an observation. Most of the time he is very involved and someone you notice out there. The Victoria broadcasters even though he was possibly hurt or benched as he wasn't on the ice for a while in the 2nd period (if my memory serves me right). Hopefully the offense will show up tonight and they can get the split.

Giantsfan
10-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah, the last time Victoria physically manhandled them including Crunk hammering McClelland.

Yeah they mentoned that Benson wasn't on the ice for some time & not with his usual linemates. There were so many guys last night that didn't bring it for whatever reason.

This team is really a jekyell & hyde team. Looking all world smoking PG & leading, possibly beating Kelowna then come out flat & look disinterested like the last 2 games.

Forgot to mention hard hat award would be split between Geertsen & Lee.

Lucic
10-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I agree it's very hard to get an accurate read on this team. Sometimes they look like they could be one of the better teams in the division and other times they look mediocre at best. I'm surprised that both Prince George and Kamloops are doing as well as they have been so far. Prince George has a lot of good young talent so it was only a matter of time before they turned things around but I expected Kamloops to be much worse. The BC division is very competitive so far.

Giantsfan
10-25-2014, 12:36 PM
It doesn't help to lose against teams in the division, the so called four point games. There are a few surprises for me as well. I'm just curious as to when Scott Bonner will be pulling the trigger on a few trades. They have several extra bodies & when Stukel & Ronning return, barring more injuries they're gonna have about 6 or 7 healthy scratches per game. That may even be over the limit.

Giantsfan
10-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Dondo, prepare to be disappointed. Apparently the game will be joined in progress at 9pm. I think Soccer & the World Series are the reason. That's a joke. I'll be watching the web on tv but for people who are working or in their car & are unable to because of other sports that aren't even involving a Vancouver team is a joke. How bush league.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Playing flat like in Kamloops is stuff that happens. But to start next game for 40 minutes with more of the same is unacceptable. Troy G has to get a handle on this stuff before it becomes commonplace. Let's see how Benson bounces back tonight after collecting some pine.