PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Wheaties 5 - Oct 29, 2014

dondo
10-30-2014, 12:56 AM
I forgot to mention that Sward was sitting in this one, I guess he still hasn't recovered from that gutless kneeing. Brandon are that good, but the boys could have used a lot better effort and taken care of the puck much better. Too many soft chip passes into traffic.

Wheaties Thresh G-Men
Vancouver 2 Brandon 5

The Wheat Kings are currently the best team in the Dub, with the Rockets one point behind with games in hand and coming to Vancouver on Sunday. Brandon is ranked 5th best in the CHL and leads the WHL in goals for by a large margin. Those numbers were exemplified tonight when they showed some amazing finish around the net. The Giants had a solid first period, a simply horrific second and a third that could have used more intensity. The Giants were not without some great chances themselves, but unlike the Wheaties they could not make them count. They also couldn’t win a face-off to save their lives. It’s tough to be a self-styled puck possession team and not be able to consistently win face-offs. Tonight they faced a real puck possession team who made them pay repeatedly for their mistakes.

The Wheaties opened the scoring in the first couple of minutes, as the Giants were poor at getting the puck out of their zone. The Giants responded with a PP marker a few minutes later. Joel Hamilton finished off a nice cross-crease pass by Jackson Houck. Arvin Atwal got the second assist. The boys held onto to that score ‘til the end of the period. In the second the wheels came off. The home squad lacked focus and were very sloppy with the puck around a team that has dominated with scoring chances. I really can’t blame Payton Lee on most of the goals, but his rebound control was suspect. It seemed to me that the Wheaties were also actively shooting for the pads and making broken plays count. The Wheat Kings found twine three times in the middle frame, taking a 4-1 lead into the second intermission. Cody Porter got the nod between the pipes to start the third and he had to make some nice stops, but the team also played better in their own end of the ice. Brandon increased their lead just before mid-way through the period. The Giants used another PP to get that one back just past the mid-way mark, but they could not climb back into this one. The third really lacked intensity and when it got chippy I really wanted to see some guys drop the mitts.

Team Notes: Ryley McKinstry, Tyler Benson and Giants prospect Ryan Kubic have made the trip to Sarnia Ontario for the World U-17 tourney and will miss a few games. Benson and McKinstry will suit up for Team Canada Black and Kubic will be between the pipes for the Team Canada White squad. Tonight the team felt like it really missed Benson. For a 16 yr old, he brings stability and puck control to the team and they seem to play better with him in the line-up. Arvin Atwal was wearing a full cage (injured in his fight in Victoria I suspect) and was not himself tonight. He fought the puck all night and couldn’t hold the biscuit in at the point at all.

The Gs have lost four straight, still have not won on the road and are currently sitting two games on the bad side of .500. Their next game is versus The T-Birds in Seattle on Saturday and then they take on the Kelowna Rockets who have only one loss so far this season, on Sunday. Not having Benson and to a lesser degree McKinstry means that the Gs top players need to better than their best or they might find themselves on a 6 game losing streak by the end of the weekend.

Rookie Watch: 15 yr old Brendan Semchuk took the ice for his first regular season Giants tilt, playing fourth line minutes. Semchuk was drafted this year by the Giants 10th overall and although his stats say he’s 5’ 10” 161lb – I would have guessed at least 6’ and closer to 180. I think he might have had a growth spurt. He did not look beanpole-ish to me, but rather pretty solid. He made a few rookie errors, but put in some good effort tonight while wearing a full cage himself.

Fight Night: nada and damn this game needed it. A few late cheap elbows probably should have had the Gs step up a bit more, but Baer got his own back when he crashed the net and drew a penalty.

Zebra Cage: Adam Griffiths and Mike Langin – they let a ton go early on and I’m okay with that, but then they called some cheapies later in the game. The refs weren’t horrible, but I would have liked to see a few more Gs PP chances off of some of the Wheaties late cheapshots.

The Giants were out shot 38-32, putting most of their chances either high or in the Wheat Kings goalie’s crest. They were not getting to loose pucks and whiffing on a whack-load of the loose pucks they actually did get. The Wheaties did well boxing out, but I felt the Gs really lacked a drive the net mentality. Brandon by contrast was always on the doorstep of the blue paint.

The Giants only real bright spots were on special teams. The dangerous Brandon squad were held goal-less on the PP, while the Gs went 2 for 3 with the man advantage.

Some middling effort by a bunch of Giants in this game. Clayton Kirichenko finished one check. I saw three fly-bys in my end alone and he really needs to finish those checks consistently. The only way to break a puck possession team is physical pressure and taking away shooting and passing lanes and the Giants did that decently in the first, not at all in the second and marginally in the third. There was lots of standing around by Giants D and some very ill-advised passing. The minuses were spread around the line-up so other than a few glaring examples, most of the players got caught watching instead of participating.
Take nothing away from Brandon though, if this game is any indication, they are the real deal.

Up next: Seattle, in Seattle, on Saturday. The boys need a road win something fierce.

Three Stars

1. John Quenneville
2. Tyler Coulter
3. Joel Hamilton

Dondo’s Doghouse: I have reactivated the doghouse for Arvin Atwal. Probably one the worst games I have seen him play this season. I suspect the full cage and the pain of the injury had something to do with it, but he fought the puck all night, could not hold the blue-line and was unable to bring a physical game due to his injury. I think he should have sat this one out.

Dondo’s Hardhat: I suppose Joel Hamilton gets the nod as he got two nice goals for his team, but he also carried the worst plus/minus in 5 on 5 play at –3. Now +/- is a fickle stat especially considering the goals in this case, but it is a decent indication of how the player played at even strength. I give him props for the goals, but still have to take marks off for his play in his own end. He and Houck seemed to have the most jump on the offensive side of the puck though.

Giantsfan
10-30-2014, 01:34 AM
It was like a man vs boy in this game. Skill wise, it wasn't even close. Brandon held the puck in the Giants zone countless times & gave the Giants all they could handle in that dept.

I thought the game was quite physical, not dirty but some good solid body contact. One of the more physical games against a team they have no rivalry with. I thought the Gmen played pretty even hit for hit.

Goaltending tandem of Lee (periods 1 & 2) & Cody Porter were pretty solid & not really faulted on the goals, although I thought Brandon's first goal should've been saved by Lee. Either way, neither goalie was to blame for the loss.

I thought once again, Geertsen was a physical force on the backend. He's been playing this way for a handful of games & it's nice to see. Atwal also threw a great bodycheck but nowadays those are usually soft calls.

My doghouse picks are most of the young guys who haven't done squat all season. Bobylev, Roach, Holterhus, Brumm & veteran Baer. Too many nights these guys are bringing nothing to the team physically or skill wise.

There will be some moves on the way. As the losses pile up, (four in a row, could be six after this weekend) I see some young guys moving on. The drafting has been absolutely brutal. They have acquired so many draft picks in the last few years & so many of the picks have been small useless players. I don't like to say this about a team I support but oh boy does this team need a serious makeover. Too many nights, there are too many passengers. I knew tonight they would lose but to see some of these guys not doing anything is frustrating.

Also, another night where the attendance records were inflated. Maybe 2,000 in the building. The concourse was empty, sections were empty & it was so quiet in the rink you could hear the players on the ice.

I think it's going to be a long time before we see the building near full on a nightly basis. This team is years away from contending & the casual fan doesn't support a losing team. Too bad because it's great value compared to the NHL.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Presumably with Ronning soon on the way back into the lineup, I see either him or Baer being moved out. Both talented and small, making them redundant. I could live with one of them gone, and with Bellerive gone. We should have kept McEvoy instead. The Giants lack of big bodies is once again starting to really show in a bad way. This team cannot grind it out.

Giantsfan
11-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Ronning won't be back until mid December. Stukel is now skating so I'm assuming he's close to returning.

dondo
11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Ronning won't be back until mid December. Stukel is now skating so I'm assuming he's close to returning.

How does "six weeks" become three months?

dondo
11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Presumably with Ronning soon on the way back into the lineup, I see either him or Baer being moved out. Both talented and small, making them redundant. I could live with one of them gone, and with Bellerive gone. We should have kept McEvoy instead. The Giants lack of big bodies is once again starting to really show in a bad way. This team cannot grind it out.

I agree -- I was talking about the role Bellerive fits with a buddy recently. He ain't no shutdown two way centre, he's not a crushing checker, he's not a character guy and he isn't what he's supposed to be a scoring winger and at least a point a game.

Popoff, Houck and Hamilton are all point a game guys, so why do we need Bellerive who is a half a point a game guy so far. We need our OAs to be dominant forces and Bellerive ain't it. I admit I was woefully disappointed in him while he was here especially after watching him dominate a Macs Tourney.

Bringing him back was more sentimental than a good hockey decision. We need all of our OAs to fill a role completely and for me Bellerive is odd man out in so many categories. We really need an OA defender (ala Thrower). Or even a guy like McEvoy -- someone who is a half a point a game guy who can crush opponents.

Lucic
11-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I don't think Bellerive has been that bad and I've never been a big fan of his. He can be inconsistent but so are many of our so called top forwards. Especially one wearing #27 as he is invisible most nights. I wish he would be shipped out. Plays with zero heart most nights. Sadly he is one of our biggest forwards yet he sure as hell doesn't play like it.

I'm not a fan of any of our 20 year old's. They are all moveable if the right deal comes along, IMO. Out of the three on our roster Bellerive probably brings the least to the table but he is the best scorer out of the bunch. Then again he isn't producing enough to really deserve that label. Let's just say he has the most offensive talent out of the group. But unless he starts putting up a lot more points it's hard to justify keeping him around if a better overager is available. At this point I'm not sure if one is.

Giantsfan
11-02-2014, 10:39 PM
I think Sward is the most valuable of the 20 yr olds. He's a great penalty killer & along with driving to the net he will sacrifice his body taking & giving big hits.
Sward's the only guy on the forward group who plays physical. Benson can, & has, but at the same time he's more of a playmaker than grinder.

It concerns me that none of the 20 yr olds are drafted. To me, that's a telling sign that they aren't that good.

Lucic
11-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Sward's effort isn't in question. But his durability is. He is always injured. Every year. He has also shown he can score but he is probably the most inconsistent player on the team. He scores in bunches and goes on a dry spell for a long period of time. As the captain I doubt he will be moved at any point. None of our 20 year old's are untouchable in my opinion. That was the main point I was trying to make. There is certainly room for improvement. None of the overagers on this team are too good or too valuable to be traded.

johnnyradiant
11-04-2014, 04:28 PM
The last few seasons would lead me to summarize that 20 yrs olds are overrated on the Giants roster with last year having one exception. Maybe within their organization they aren't highly overrated but within the fan base I think they are way too overrated.

Giantsfan
11-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm not quite sure what you are saying but this years crop of 20 yr olds is so weak, the weakest since the 02-03 season.

Last season having Thrower was as good as it got. He was a dominant force & when he went down, so did the wins.

Adam Morrison was another who came in & played as good as any goalie this franchise has ever had. He stole many games & unfortunately when the playoffs arrived he was just burned out.

Not sure why they feel they can't upgrade on the players they have. Bonner's had trades on the table but teams are asking an awful lot.