PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 T-Birds 0 - Nov 1, 2014

dondo
11-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Whew that was a nailbiter. Porter was pretty damn amazing and the sole reason for the win - sorry Baer - you were good too - nice goal buddy.

Giants Porter Thunderbirds
Vancouver 1 Seattle 0

The Giants have their young back-up goalie to thank for their first road victory. 17 yr old Cody Porter was perfect turning aside 38 shots for his first WHL shutout in only his second WHL start. The one blemish was a disallowed goal that was waived off and upheld by review, but the Seattle fans were not impressed – especially since the arena broke regulations by showing a disputed call on the jumbotron while it was under review. Despite that hiccup, Porter was full value for his shutout. His best period was the middle frame in which he faced his toughest challenges, but the third had its own challenges. Positionally solid and very focused; Porter was actively sending rebounds to the corners and quickly quelling the puck in the crease. Seattle’s top line had more than a few excellent chances, but Porter said no.

The T-Birds had 19 shots on net in the first, but the most dangerous shots came later in the game. The home squad were also very undisciplined and gave the Giants multiple PP chances. Late in the third, one of those opportunities paid off as Alec Baer carried the puck out of the corner and drove the net. Crossing the crease he buried his shot behind Taran Kozun, who did not face as many shots as Porter, but was forced to make some quality stops in his shutout bid. Matt Bellerive got the only assist on the play, but it really was all Baer on the goal. The Giants missed a couple of empty net chances late and Porter had to be great up til the final seconds.

Team Notes: Some major notable absences. Dalton Sward is still out as was Houck, not sure what happened to him. Benson and McKinstry were busy beating Sweden in a pre-tournament game 4-3, for Canada’s Team Black. The Giants finally broke the slump and won their first road game this season.

Rookie Watch: Another decent outing by 15 yr old Brendan Semchuk.

Zebra Cage: Nathan Wieler and Adam Griffiths – The Gs had the bulk of PP chances and the home town fans were not impressed. As I just listened to this one I can’t say if the Seattle fans, notorious for serious homerism and a decided lack of knowledge of the game and rules in my experience, were right or their usual thin-skinned selves. It didn’t really sound like the reffing was very good to be honest, but meh – not my circus, not my monkeys.

The Giants were badly out shot 38-24 and they had their goalie to thank for that. As the boys gained confidence in Porter they began better and harder offensive forays. The Gs went 1 for 5 on the PP and the Seattle boys were 0 for 2. To be honest it sounded like the Seattle squad were being undisciplined thugs.

The G-Men come back home for a tilt versus the high flying Kelowna Rockets and it is sure to be a tough game. With Benson gone and impact players like Houck and Sward out of the line-up I don’t really like the Gs chances tomorrow, but at least it won’t be a 6 game losing streak as they broke a four game slide and their road ineptitude by winning this tilt. Puck drops at 5pm PST (That’s right, daylight savings ends tonight (early tomorrow) so fall back your timepieces so you aren’t an hour early for the game), at the Coliseum. Could be a great tilt. Will Porter get the nod, or will Ward stick with the already planned Lee between the pipes.

Three Stars

1. Cody Porter
2. Taran Kozun
3. Scott Eansor

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to … Well? Who do you think? Cody Porter of course. 38 saves, many of the tough variety, his second Dub start and first Dub SO, brilliant. Well done Cody, no wonder Kubic was sent down to play more Porter is fully capable of back-up duties and more.

Giantsfan
11-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Cody Porter was great! He got a warm up in the first stopping 19 shots & got better as the game went on.

The "goal" wasn't a goal. To me, it appeared to clearly hit the post. I'm not sure what their announcer saw on the replay to say it was a goal.

It was actually a really boring game. The Giants were not good in the first period. They didn't have one good scoring chance. They weren't much better in the second & hung on in the third.

As for the officiating. It was decent. Not a factor in the win or loss. There weren't a lot of penalties & it's too bad they got between Wardley & Geertsen, that could've been a good scrap. Other than that, the game wasn't rough or chippy.

Not sure why Houck wasn't playing. I had to watch the game later because of stuff so I didn't see why he was scratched. Also, Dosanjh blocked a shot late in the game & he crawled off the ice. Not sure if he'll be ready tonight.

Nice to get the first road win of the season. I knew this was the one game they had a chance because tonight could be an ugly one. Rockets lost last night in Portland so they'll be an ornery bunch looking to take it out on the Giants.