PDA

View Full Version : Calgary

Bighat
11-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Good game tonite for the most part just a few points 1) the parking lot is freaken horrible people getting stuck and lined up for an hour nice place to build the new stadium 2) reagen needs to be traded he's our worst dman 3) Conner gay needs to drive the net he looks scared out there, get to the net 4) we should just decline penalities because the pp is worse then bad.

chopper
11-08-2014, 12:29 PM
The game last night much like a lot before and shows we have a lot of deficiencies and it's not because we are too young, which isn't true. We have overall mediocre talent hence a sub .500 record. If our talent was elite we would contend with the big boys. We continue to play a run and gun game without having run and gun talent. We scored off the rush twice and lost the game. Myself and two buddies watched a few areas of the game, and noticed some glaring problems. It surprises me that they haven't fixed them. Steel is a talent but that can't be said of all our rookies. They're OK but not real gifted. Unlike Brandon we don't have Patrick and Clague to bring on stream at the same time. Moving Klimchuk, Burroughs and Wapple might bring that needed talent. We need more than Steel.

For a few years now the Pats and Lang have been preaching the mantra of getting bigger, and frankly that hasn't happened. It seems every game either Struch or Paddock bemoans the fact they have to play against bigger teams and the challenge it presents. One of the areas we noticed was our play along the wall which wasn't strong. We lost almost every battle along the wall. If you can't control the puck in the offensive zone you can't set up plays. This probably reverts back to our size issues.

Our special teams are dreadful and much of that is because we can't control the puck in the offensive zone. We seem to want to rush it into the zone and are continually losing possession. As long as the Pk is at or near the bottom of the league it's bad. Our defense is continually getting manhandled. We have no shut down d-man, especially on the PK. Teams drive to the net and we can't do anything about it. We need a big tough d-man or two. You will have to trade something to get them but we have tradable assets.

Goaltending remains Ok but not great by no means i.e. the 2nd PP goal against last night. In close games one bad goal is the difference between win and a loss. I've been underwhelmed by Wapple's play this year.

Grit has been talked about on this blog and possible trade partners but so far nothing has happened. We are about to go into the BC division where every team is big and tough. Some are downright mean spirited. Victoria's work on Nik Merley nearly caused a riot in Kelowna recently. Kelowna has three or four tougher guys so they were able to stand up. I doubt we would be able to make that grade. Going on that West Coast swing without some extra toughness is a bad idea. A big tough forward and d-man needed now, please.

We have decent young base of talent. Most won't be superstars but they will be serviceable mid to upper range talent. Our talent is no better or worse than any other team. We need to parlay our older talent to get what we need to truly become special. It's the only way.

We are not championship material now and should move ASAP to get a couple young big useful players and recoup our depleted draft picks. Stop gap measures like non performing 20 year old imports aren't what we need.

patsdude114
11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again....... We are not playoff bound and I'm more then ok with that, I most definitely do not want us to go make a trade of a younger player for an older vet who may bring us alittle toughness for 1yr. We have done enough patch work over the years and it needs to stop, just take our top 10 pick in this years coming bantam draft and move on.

You don't win many games when you have 9 players who are 17 or younger, a guy like Hansen has to be moved soon he doesn't bring what a team like we got needs he's not gonna be worth much but to a team that is pushing for a playoff run he could be a very useful player for them as a 3rd line guy and also a guy who can plays defense if an injury occurred after trade deadline.

Klimchuk and Burroughs will be moved when the time is right (trade deadline or just before xmas) I think paddock is coaching this way for the long term in developing skill not for the short term of winning now.

Bighat
11-08-2014, 03:19 PM
We will make the playoffs we have more talent then a lot of teams, if we don't get some toughness we will get some guys hurt. Hansen doesn't want to be moved so it will be hard to trade him. I've talked to a couple of nhl scouts and they figure klimchuck will be moved just before wjhc. They say he's already nhl ready if it wasn't for his injury. We are not far off the swifts and calgarys we could use 3 more players. I agree with chopper 2 d and 1 pf. Edmonton will look to trade now that luzar isn't coming back. There are going to be some high end talent on the trade block this year. There are only 8 legit teams that I think that will be buyers.

chopper
11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Our problem lays with the fact we have some 16 &17 yr olds, few 18's, and then a bunch of 19 yr olds. There is little in between and that's our big problem. We had to go with more youngsters than we wanted to because of managements past goof ups. The only trade Paddock has made was for Padakin, so who really knows what his mindset is! Rigby, Jones or Bell may have been better options since we needed toughness and grit. Look at last years Warriors who had four guys looking after their young players. It's necessary.

A bunch of 16 and 17 year olds this season doesn't translate into a great team in two years time. Prince George has tried this twice and it failed both times, and I believe Lethbridge was in that same boat. No guarantees in the WHL. Both teams now recognize you need the appropriate amount of physical presence to succeed. If young guys start playing timid, they continue to play timid. Outside of their talent the Oil Kings intimidated the hell out of Guelph. Hopefully we can pry loose a really good young forward to anchor a second line for the future because after Steel our young talent drops off exponentially. Klimchuk, Burroughs, Hanson, and perhaps Wapple should garner a lot in return, inclusive of players and picks.

Bringing in some toughness is not sacrificing anything and in fact may help our most talented develop into what they should be. We've taken a lot of beat downs this year and that doesn't inspire a young club. When Austin Carroll @ 6'3" 210 and Kanzig at 6'6 225 start chopping on Steel, who is going to be the equalizer? They did it to Merkley a while back. Christopher @ 5'91/2 185 is apparently our answer. A scout recently told me that the nobody in the WHL has any respect for our physicality. That's a problem.

We have some building blocks and need to look after them. We need more blocks which will hopefully come at trade deadline. I also don't want the young talent traded for toughness but I don't think they need to do that. There are other moves they can make.

patsdude114
11-08-2014, 04:47 PM
We will make the playoffs we have more talent then a lot of teams, if we don't get some toughness we will get some guys hurt.

we will be hard pressed to make the playoffs.... the only reason we may make the playoffs is due to the new playoff format... the only teams we got to be better then is PA MJ SAS which may not be too hard to do but realistically I doubt we finish over .500 which should not be a playoff team.

I've talked to a couple of nhl scouts and they figure klimchuck will be moved just before wjhc. They say he's already nhl ready if it wasn't for his injury.

I'd like to know what scouts your talking too, sadly I am a die hard Flames fan and Klimchuk was not making the Flames no matter if he didn't get hurt.... he was hardly a bubble player. He's not a dominating type player by any means he needs the playmaker with him. He will get points don't get me wrong but he does not dominate on a regular basis, he had 3 or 4 great chances to bury a player last night but completely shy'd away from taking the body a NHL ready player finishes the checks he has infront of him.

We are not far off the swifts and calgarys we could use 3 more players. I agree with chopper 2 d and 1 pf. Edmonton will look to trade now that luzar isn't coming back. There are going to be some high end talent on the trade block this year. There are only 8 legit teams that I think that will be buyers.

Edmonton doesn't have any elite talent to trade this year, they all graduated last year. They are basically in the same boat as we are just they have a top end goalie in Jarry. They are not trading Pollock hes only 18 and will be back next year forsure, Kulda a 20yr old euro with no team having an opening anymore limits his value.

Also as much as I agree we could use 3 players to add grit to the lineup but at what expense like I said before we don't need any more patch work trades. We have some younger assets as chopper said but why trade them away for a quick fix which rarely works out. I have read on here before that we need to stop the quick fixes/patch work trades and build from within but yet we are now back on these exact type of trades again.

We jumped too soon on the Padakin trade we should of waited to see what the NHL sent back there have been some 20yr olds flat out released that would of brought what we needed for no payment at all but being that we paid a 3rd rd pick for Padakin he isn't going anywhere now (sadly)

Fight Guy
11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
First off, I'll address the parking. Yes, there are some crappy spots right now with random fenced off areas and a small lot no longer open but, it's really no different than before. It just happened to be there's a huge art show/sale going on this weekend. The stadium location has NOTHING to do with how long it took to get out last night. Plus, where ever the stadium went, it would be a **** show leaving regardless. People just like to complain about anything and everything in Regina/Saskatchewan.

To hockey...

Anyone who talks like moves need to be made to be competitive are just gonna drive themselves insane. If anything, we will see Paddock unload what he can by deadline. Don't forget, this is his first time coaching or managing below the pro ranks. These are all new players to him...the entire league. He's still learning who's who and who's good at what. I'm also pretty sure he has no intentions what so ever of bringing in players to be more competitive. This team is being rebuilt properly. If you want to talk about improving to become a contender, go hang out with Parker and play arm chair GM with him in his man cave.

Paddock has, in fact, proved "hockey is hockey" when it comes to coaching, because he is getting a lot out of what he has. He seems to understand that you have to play players to develope them. This is also literally THE most exciting hockey I have seen the Pats play in over a decade. Not even Eberle/Weal seasons can amount up to what we are seeing now. Could you imagine that '08 team playing under Paddock for a couple seasons?? Even some of those other "contenders" Parker built would have been much more effective under Paddock.

Though I do believe the Pats are fully capable of at least locking down a wildcard spot, this team was never supposed to be a contender. The plan is to accumulate picks and players so that hopefully in two seasons from now, the Pats will look something like this seasons Wheat Kings. McCrimmon is pretty well a sex offender with the ways he sped up the process in Brandon. All depends if Lethbridge or Saskatoon press charges...

The Padakin trade was good. He may not be as productive as hoped but, he takes up two spots on the roster, which for a team trying to develope their younger players, opens up an extra space. Not to mention, Kammerer wasn't doing a thing and Padakin is still an upgrade. No need to think Paddock jumped the gun not waiting for Nejezchleb, though. The team doesn't NEED impact 20's either. D'Amico and Christoffer have been great for not being top players.

"For a few years now the Pats and Lang have been preaching the mantra of getting bigger, and frankly that hasn't happened." Nope...you're right. This has been talked about many times and again, I'm not sure what you expect Paddock to do to address this without losing key picks or players. Not to mention, it's only 18 games into the season and that's not very long to fix those 'years of talk' from the past regime. So many people think it's an over night thing with the new ownership and management. The only person I've really seen rebuild teams "overnight" is Brian Burke.

The Pats do have assets, and they will hopefully all be moved :brickwall: Though Klimchuck is great and is the top draw for a trade, anyone who thinks he was ready for the NHL this season has been smoking a little too much crack. Yes, his injury hampered that chance at all but, I really don't think he's good enough yet. He doesn't consistently do enough good things in the WHL to make it in the NHL. He might not even make the big club next season. That's MY opinion. Might sound harsh but, he has rarely looked good enough to make that jump yet. Maybe if Edmonton drafted him...

As for last night, it seemed as though as soon as the Pats went on the PP, they switched to robot mode and just started doing drills in their minds. They just seemed to turn stupid and become lost. This is the biggest head scratcher for me this season. Fortunately, there is way more good than bad this season so far, and this really just doesn't worry me too much yet.

This is a transition season for management AND ownership. I'm sitting back and letting these new people do what THEY think is best for the team/organization, and waiting to see how it plays out. We won't know till AT LEAST after trade deadline NEXT SEASON just how this team and organization is shaping up. Everyone expected a new fan experience this season but, we won't see much till next season. The biggest things this season seem to be the fan area in the West end, the slight change in music selection, the better utilized screens, and most of all, CENTER SCORE CLOCK!! Next season will feel completely different with new logos everywhere, jerseys, etc.. Got mixed up with when the town hall meeting was, so missed that. Not sure what went down at that, if it was just purely to hear ideas from the fans or if they gave insight on what they have planned at all.

In the end, I'm extremely happy with the foot print that has been laid down and the direction in which it's heading. I'll complain when there's something worth complaining about... Like the inconsistent officiating this season. Some seem to think Paddock will leave after two seasons when a new pro gig pops up. If anything, he'll leave the Junior ranks to keep his blood pressure down. There have been so many botched icing calls and inconstant penalty calls it's ridiculous. It's always bad at the start of the season with new officials all around but, HOLY BALLS!!

I'm done :cool:

Bighat
11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
The scout I was talking to wanted to draft Morgan and were better then red deer and Edmonton. If we trade Morgan, Burroughs, Hanson and gay we will get players plus draft picks and we're not giving up picks and not hurting our future. It's not patch work at all.

patsdude114
11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
The Padakin trade was good. He may not be as productive as hoped but, he takes up two spots on the roster, which for a team trying to develope their younger players, opens up an extra space. Not to mention, Kammerer wasn't doing a thing and Padakin is still an upgrade. No need to think Paddock jumped the gun not waiting for Nejezchleb, though. The team doesn't NEED impact 20's either. D'Amico and Christoffer have been great for not being top players.

Fight Guy I agree with everything you said except the part where I bolded... I not once said we needed Nejezchleb all I am saying is there have been some 20yr olds who have been released that would bring what we lack in terms of grit. For what we paid for Padakin he was brought here to score and quite frankly he hasn't done much of that, sure he is getting chances but so is Cole, McAmmond, Smith & others and they are not scoring much either.

Im sure Padakin's luck around the net will change but that wont change until Paddock starts using his skills better especially on the PP, Padakin used to operate along the high wall on the PP in CGY and he was very successful in doing so, he has showed flashes of it here but when he passes the puck down low and heads into the slot area the guy down low bobbles the pass and screws the whole play up (be it give and go with Padakin or a play back up to the Dman or just putting the puck on net from a bad angle)

The scout I was talking to wanted to draft Morgan and were better then red deer and Edmonton. If we trade Morgan, Burroughs, Hanson and gay we will get players plus draft picks and we're not giving up picks and not hurting our future. It's not patch work at all.

How can you say we are better then Red Deer since we lost to them and we haven't played EDM yet.... Either way Im going out on a limb and saying if we don't get 3rd in our division we don't make the playoffs, if by some chance we do get a wild card spot it will be cause of us playing in a weaker division then Red Deer or Edmonton. Also just cause one scout within an organization wanted to draft Klimchuk doesn't mean the head scout or GM wanted to draft him, I mean he was what the 28th pick so a lot of teams passed on him for better players.

Fight Guy said it just like I said it... Klimchuk doesn't dominate the WHL level enough to be NHL ready. I can say scouts told me stuff too and come on here and feel important... oh ya what happened to this so called trade you had called yet again that didn't happen..... is that 2 or 3 times now? FYI.... GM's are always having convos with each other be it trade talk or just little convos to stay on each others good sides for when a possible trade does take place.

Im looking into my magic 8 ball... I asked it if the Pats will make a trade before Nov. 18th and it said yes.... so stay tuned Pats fans the magic 8 ball never lies

Bighat
11-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Read my post idiot, Hansen refused to go. And I was talking to the head scout while I was on the road. Morgan does more things on the ice that you two don't see, plays in his own end, handles the puck, sees the openings. Well pats dude your the junior hockey god so I bid farewell. I'm not wanting patch work too make the playoffs I'm all for the rebuild but we can get stronger for this year and beyond with good trades. If you want to continue this debate come on up to section 208 I've been there for 26 years.

patsdude114
11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Read my post idiot, Hansen refused to go. And I was talking to the head scout while I was on the road. Morgan does more things on the ice that you two don't see, plays in his own end, handles the puck, sees the openings. Well pats dude your the junior hockey god so I bid farewell. I'm not wanting patch work too make the playoffs I'm all for the rebuild but we can get stronger for this year and beyond with good trades. If you want to continue this debate come on up to section 208 I've been there for 26 years.

LMFAO where did this Hansen comment come from?? I haven't mentioned Hansen for a few posts now but yet you bring it up again lol

You make me laugh everytime I read a post of yours, your so easy to rattle up and get confused.

Fight Guy
11-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I not once said we needed NejezchlebI not once said YOU did. Let's just say I think we'd ALL be happy if Sinitsyn were still around...

patsdude114
11-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Yep you are right you didn't say that my bad for assuming that's what you were getting at when you made that comment

BigCat20
11-08-2014, 11:03 PM

I gotta agree with patsdude, he's not NHL ready! I'm not sure if he's even a lock for the world junior team. Too be ready, think he has to be better physically & much more productive points wise in the whl. He doesn't stand out significantly!

As for the trade, just curious who this big, physical forward the Blades even have, let alone be willing to deal. Maybe Graham, but no chance he'd be dealt.

RWAH
11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
All I want to add is we need to add grit and picks by the trade route. In my post "what if" it was pro-active and a win - win trade to help both the Pats and PG. I think all but Kelowna in the BC division would be wanting to trade up to get ahead of the log jamb.