PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Everett 5 - Nov 8th, 2014

dondo
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Short recap from the stats only, any clarification would be appreciated. I just read some of the other thread's comments after writing this. Anyway, add where you can, thanks.

Tips Fry Giants
Vancouver 1 Everett 5

I did not see the game last night or listen to it as I was at the Lions game, watching another Vancouver-based team get a shellacking. How does a top defensive team, look so bad the last few games? But I digress. By all accounts the Giants hit harder and were emphasising the physical side of the game after a couple of beat 'em up practice sessions amongst themselves. I suppose this is another growing pains outing. The 16 yr old Everett golatender didn't even get a nod for turning away 30 of 31 shots, so the boys probably weren't even challenging him. I also don't get that we were playing more physical, yet the penalty stats are not littered with roughings or checks from behind. I don't think the boys would play that clean upping their physical game and have only one boarding call against. This league loves to punish teams bringing a hard checking game with ticky tack penalties.

The Tips scored three unanswered goals in the first period; none coming on the man-advantage. By the looks of it, Payton Lee was chased from the net early allowing two goals with Cody Porter coming in mid first. I might have that wrong, but that's how I am interpreting the numbers I am reading. Dalton Sward was back in the line-up and scored the Gs only goal in the second period. Jesse Roach and Mason Geertsen had the helpers on the play. The Tips got that one back on the PP a little later and then added a back-breaker in the third to put the game away.

Team Notes: Sward back in, Benson and McKinstry out of the tourney, but not back for this game. Maybe Saturday's tilt in Kelowna?

The Giants out-shot the Tips 31-29. They went 0 for 3 on the PP, while the Tips were 1 for 3.

Giants head to Kelowna for a Saturday night game and another tough outing. Puck drops at 7pm.

Three Stars

1. Patrick Bajkov
2. Graham Miller
3. Nikita Scherbak

Priceisright
11-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Most of our shots were from far away. I'm surprised how many shots they counted lol.

The giants goalies really need to pick up the pace :) sorely lacking last night.

Kudos to Sherbak and the Tips. Pretty good team.

Giantsfan
11-08-2014, 07:44 PM
The goaltending wasn't great last night but it wasn't the reason they lost. You're almost never going to win a game by scoring 1 goal. Yes, they did in Seattle but that was a rarity.

There are many problems with this team & a lot of it has to do with the players. Many guys are not playing to their potential. A lot of the bottom six are pretty much invisible & getting almot no icetime when they do play.

I look at this season as almost a writeoff. I don't like to say that this early but I don't see much improvement except from the goalies.

The ongoing issue with size isn't going to change & this team hasn't won a playoff round in four years.

Hamilton is pointless on the road, Houck is a floater & Sward & Bellerive don't produce enough as 20 yr olds.

The best players imo so far are Benson, Geertsen, Lee & Porter. That being said, I don't think anyone coughs the puck up more than Geertsen but I can over look that because the physicality he brings. Since Atwal broke his nose I don't know how eager he'll be once the bubble is removed. Nobody else on the backend has any grit. Osipov could, but chooses not to.

I was told not expect any bold moves now so this could be what the team has so I don't think the playoffs are a happening. A far cry from what we were told at training camp.

Priceisright
11-08-2014, 11:19 PM
And 5-0 Kelowna tonight :(

Knuckles Muldoon
11-09-2014, 11:06 AM
And 5-0 Kelowna tonight :(
Wanna know something? Tyler Benson might just be the best player on the team. Therein lies the problem.

Priceisright
11-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Wow. :(

What a mess this team is. I realize it's tough being a GM of a jr team. But Giants really need to take a look at the GM! Seems were re gressing! Attendance not very good, drafting not very good. I could go on.

Lucic
11-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Wanna know something? Tyler Benson might just be the best player on the team. Therein lies the problem.

I have no doubt about that whatsoever. Surely a compliment to him and his ability but not exactly a good thing for the team as a whole.