PDA

View Full Version : Martin or Moodie

Uknownothing
11-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Now what ,with the play of Trevor Martin since he has come back to the Blades and his play in Melville I think he deserves another shot. The team definitely is not moving Amundrud when he comes back form injury so I guess that leaves one move to me.Do you trade (probably not ),reassign (to who?) or just release Moodie ?Stats show Moodie is getting worse ever year, while Martin is improving in the short amount of games he has played in the WHL and SJHL .The Blades are definitely not going to have Moodie as a 20yr next year,so is now the time to move on from Moodie ? I think so.

Trav
11-12-2014, 05:46 PM
They should be keeping Martin but I won't be surprised if they keep Moodie, can't see the management admitting that they were wrong to have Moodie come back and be given the starting job rite off the bat.

Nobody in their right mind would've kept Moodie over Martin and Herringer who is doing well as a call up with Kelowna, Herringer never even got a chance to play here.

Can't say I've been to pleased with what they've done in trades this year. Going for older players when they should be building for the future. No impact 16 yr olds. After Hebig, their 17's are so so.

Uknownothing
11-12-2014, 07:04 PM
When it comes to having a chance to win(Martin) or losing (Moodie) I would admit I was wrong in a heart beat ,but that's me .As for impact 16yr olds(born in1998) there isn't many out there .The only two 16yr olds that are out there that are putting up points are Nolan Patrick (Brandon)who sits 114th in scoring and Sam Steel(Regina) who sits 118th in scoring, so the ones we do have just need good coaching and development time. Trav you seem to go to all the Blades home games it seems to me Gingras is the only one on the Blades that is hitting people ,he's 16.The skill is there with him ,he wins a lot of face offs ,hits, and back checks its only a matter of time before the points start coming. Higson is getting better same as Amundrud, and Reid didn't look out of place since he's been called up. So for the most part our 16yr old aren't that bad. Yeah it would be nice to have one that puts up 50-60 pts in his first year, but that doesn't happen often anymore .I agree with you about the older players and the so so 17yr olds.:)

curwie
11-12-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they let Alex go.

BigCat20
11-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Back to the same position from about a month ago! Which 2 goalies do you keep? Something is missing......why was the choice to assign Martin & keep Moodie. Yes he has experience. But that experience he has, hasn't came with success! Now they've decide to keep Reid. Who's the odd man out on the backend? They going to rotate Reid & Higson in & out? Thought that Amundrud & Henry are suppose to be back this wkend & Coglan by next wkend! So when......?

Uknownothing
11-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Back to the same position from about a month ago! Which 2 goalies do you keep? Something is missing......why was the choice to assign Martin & keep Moodie. Yes he has experience. But that experience he has, hasn't came with success! Now they've decide to keep Reid. Who's the odd man out on the backend? They going to rotate Reid & Higson in & out? Thought that Amundrud & Henry are suppose to be back this wkend & Coglan by next wkend! So when......?

The Blades Twitter account said that Henry will be back for this weekends Alberta trip ,Amundrud will start take shots in practise next week according to the paper.I think once all players are back we will see some more changes.The team has now committed to the young players(16yr olds) now and the don't look out of place,so if I was a older player I would be putting in more of a effort into my play because the team you would think are going to have to move or release some guys.

BigCat20
11-14-2014, 04:10 PM
I think the frustrating thing is they panicked & made trades. In hindsight, maybe they should have stuck it out with the young guys, esp on D. Not to bring the Henry trade again........but I haven't been that impressed with him. I could understand a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd but not Ottenbreit. Now I've seen Henry play a few games, definitely not worth it. I think the young guys took a lot of the blame for the poor start. But no one was playing Defense & giving up over 40 shots a game. So who's the odd man out......Coghlan? Or trade???

Sttop
11-14-2014, 04:35 PM
When the tbirds were in PA I was again impressed with Ottenbreit. Don't know why he was ever considered to be trade able.

Trav
11-14-2014, 10:40 PM
I agree the Blades did over react and made a lot of senseless deals, the exception being the Sherbak deal as now the Blades can get two pretty good players in the first round.

It sounded like this was going to be the weekend where the goaltending would be decided. Right now though the Blades are losing 7-0 to the Oil Kings which on paper doesn't look good on Martin but I'm not at the game so can't tell if he's at fault. The defense has been suspect all season so can't see all the goals being his fault tonite.

I'll seriously be pissed if Moodie is kept. I think the Blades need to realize that this is a forgotten seasonn and should just rotate Amundrud and Martin and get rid of the 19's that won't be back next year and go with youth.

Trav
11-16-2014, 06:43 PM
36 shots for Calgary in two periods, and it's only 2-0. Martin has come to play but its quite obvious the rest of the team hasn't. Only 12 shots on net.

JMoney1988
11-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Okay so judging by this weekend, outscored 16-3 over the weekend..., he is look at the summary of the goalies:

Trevor Martin 2 GP 0-2 11 GA
- Edmonton (24 of 31 saves made) 1 GF
- Calgary (47 of 50 saves made) 1 GF
Alex Moodie 1 GP 0-1 5 GA
- Red Deer (31 of 35 saves made) 2 GF

I'm not speculating by any means, but by virtue of Martin letting in 11 Ga to Moodie 5 despite Moodie playing one game less....., if you were going by stats alone, Moodie is most likely staying ahead of Martin.
Now granted we only had managed 4 GF, so maybe if we had shown up to play, it might have been different. I would be shocked if they kept Martin over Moodie.......

BigCat20
11-16-2014, 08:14 PM
My opinion is stay with moodie. BUT Amundrud makes a lot more starts. Next year it's Nik & one of the prospect 16 yr olds.

Trav
11-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Martin got scored on 10 times, not 11 this weekend and quite a few of those goals weren't his fault. If it wasn't for him tonight, the Blades would've gotten killed by the Hitmen.

Since stats were brought up, I'll post these stats.

Martin is 1-5 in 8 games played. He has a goals against average of 3.99 and a save percentage of 0.885%

Moodie is 3-7 in 11 games played with a 4.86, almost one goal allowed higher then Martin and a save percentage of 0.864

In 5 of the 8 games Martin got scored on 3 or less times. Moodie got scored on more then 3 times in 8 games out of 11 games.

So if we're going with overall numbers, I think Martin gives a Blades a better chance of winning. The team in front of him just needs to start scoring some goals so he can get more wins.

Madmax
11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
At the end of the day does it really matter which one they keep now? This team is terrible, which was expected. Trading away younger prospects for older players just makes the rebuild that much longer. Really they only have 2 players to build around and both of them are only here because of injuries.

Section17
11-19-2014, 12:54 PM
At the end of the day does it really matter which one they keep now? This team is terrible, which was expected. Trading away younger prospects for older players just makes the rebuild that much longer. Really they only have 2 players to build around and both of them are only here because of injuries.

In the next couple years the Blades have some okay players to build around IF they decide not to trade them (Hebig, Amundrud, Sloboshan, Reid). The team might not have any stud 16 year olds like they should but I would hope in the next year or two they start producing results. I think it's vital that Woods creates a winning culture around this team.