PDA

View Full Version : Giants Add Dakota Odgers & Josh Thrower In Separate Deals

Lucic
11-21-2014, 03:15 PM
I love both trades. Finally Bonner decides to step up and add some grit and toughness to this roster something it was sorely lacking.

Giving up a 5th round pick for Odgers is a low risk move. Odgers isn't the greatest scrapper but like his Dad he plays with a ton of heart and is willing to do whatever to help his team. The Giants needed a player like that in the bottom six. Prior to this deal none of our bottom six players play anything like that, IMO.

As for Thrower the Giants tried to acquire him last season from the Hitmen but couldn't work out a deal. The fact they only had to give up Tyler Morrison (off the current roster) is a huge bonus. The 2nd round pick certainly has value but it's well worth the trade off. Thrower is one of the toughest guys in the league and it sounds like he is happy to come back home. I think these two additions can certainly change the complex of this team.

Giantsfan
11-21-2014, 06:17 PM
It's about time Bonner made some moves like this instead of just talking about them.

Morrison was playing terrible & is easily replaceable. Love both deals.

Lucic
11-21-2014, 07:59 PM
The 2nd round pick the Giants gave up for Thrower was originally Tri-City's 2nd round pick they gave to Vancouver for Taylor Vickerman last season.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-21-2014, 08:18 PM
The 2nd round pick the Giants gave up for Thrower was originally Tri-City's 2nd round pick they gave to Vancouver for Taylor Vickerman last season.

Good, so it's sort of a freebie.
Love these trades. The team needs some jam and these two will help. The rest of the boys should be able to play a little bigger now, too. I like the looks our D much better now.

Lucic
11-21-2014, 08:40 PM
If anyone is curious about Thrower's toughness, check out this fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXolcgY8aw) in the playoffs last season against Tyrell Goulbourne one of the toughest guys in the league. Thrower is legit in the scrapping department. That was the best fight in the WHL all of last season by far in my opinion.

That said don't expect him to be the same player as his brother. Dalton is certainly much more talented. But they both play with bite. Josh hasn't quite lived up to his expectations as a whole but I still think what he brings to the table is well worth what the Giants gave up.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-21-2014, 09:42 PM
If anyone is curious about Thrower's toughness, check out this fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXolcgY8aw) in the playoffs last season against Tyrell Goulbourne one of the toughest guys in the league. Thrower is legit in the scrapping department. That was the best fight in the WHL all of last season by far in my opinion.

That said don't expect him to be the same player as his brother. Dalton is certainly much more talented. But they both play with bite. Josh hasn't quite lived up to his expectations as a whole but I still think what he brings to the table is well worth what the Giants gave up.

That's tossin! Brings tears to my eyes.

Priceisright
11-22-2014, 01:08 AM
How come Thrower doesn't have many penalty minutes?

Or is he "just" tough?

Giantsfan
11-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Arvin Atwal could be out for more than just this weekend. I spoke with him today & he's getting his shoulder checked by the doctor to see what is the extent of his injury.

Lucic
11-22-2014, 01:22 AM
He hasn't fought much this season for whatever reason. Maybe he hasn't found many willing participants or maybe there are other reasons. I can't say for sure. From what I've heard he doesn't have the best relationship with his current (and also former with Calgary) coach Mike Williamson. That could also play into why he's been traded twice both times with Williamson was his head coach. Anyway it's impossible to say. He has never had a ton of PIM's during his WHL career but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows he doesn't take a lot of minor penalties. A large chunk of his penalty minutes are from fighting majors.

dondo
11-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Yeah I like both these trades and if both players are indeed tougher then more power to them. I'll have to check out that fight. Odgers is a fireplug kinda of player 5'11" 182 -- he's a stocky lad and threw one very nice tonight early in a very forgettable game.

Morrison has been on a slide lately and he duplicates a lot of what we had too much of, so getting some toughness on the back-end for yet another average pseudo-offensive defensman works for me. Good to hear we are giving back the second and not losing ours which will be a higher pick.

dondo
11-22-2014, 02:55 AM

Nice toe-to-toe hammering -- woo hoo I haven't seen a fight like that in a while. Time to punch out some Cougars -- please, please, please :D

Priceisright
11-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Are these guys going to play? Or just sit on the bench and muck it up once inawhile?

Will they play significant minutes?

Giantsfan
11-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Thrower will be in the top 4 defense pairs & I'm sure Odgers will play 3rd or 4th line every game. I don't expect much scoring from either guy but both are so excited to play here & they are tough guys that the Giants have needed. Thrower is about as tough as they come.

Lucic
11-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Are these guys going to play? Or just sit on the bench and muck it up once inawhile?

Will they play significant minutes?

Thrower should play pretty good minutes. On this team he's easily a top 3 defenseman. Odgers is a bottom six forward so he should be in the line up most nights but his playing time will vary depending on coach Ward.

johnnyradiant
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Fri's pre-game had Odgers on the 3rd for most games. I can't remember if that was commentator's positioning or if that was Ward's suggestion. Grit don't do us no good if he's holding down the pine. Trading for pine riders is a waste of effort. If that is the case then ownership needs to ensure that the GM and Coach are on the same page, and communicating clearly together - change one or both if need be.