PDA

View Full Version : Josh Thrower

Swando
11-25-2014, 03:42 AM
After looking at this thread below: Giving up Morrison and a 2nd pick for Thrower which we originally got from TC for Vickerman (6th round pick) is a steal. If I was a team playing the Giants now..they will know they have an equal to Kelowna's Goulborne who is the undisputed heavy weight champ of the WHL and Thrower may be a close 2nd. Watch for your self.. He was 16 year old in a few of these!! He is only 18 now. He will protect us for 2 years! Have a look. The Giants are saying thanks to Bonner

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=josh+thrower+fights

Lucic
11-25-2014, 12:05 PM
It was absolutely a good move as I stated a number of different times. For a number of different reasons. I was originally surprised they didn't have to give up more for Thrower. From what I understand they offered a lot more for Thrower last season to Calgary prior to the Americans acquiring him. So the fact they didn't have to give up a 1st round pick was a pleasant surprise. Of course Thrower asking to be moved closer to home due to family illness probably helped the price stay down a little.

All that said Thrower doesn't come without any potential problems. I won't reveal names but I've heard things questioning his hockey IQ and more worrisome his work ethic. There were other terms used I won't repeat here. Normally I don't trust everything I hear even if it is from someone I consider credible but I've heard both these things from a few different people. Makes me believe there is truth to the matter. Regardless I still think it's worth the risk. He brings something to the table right now the Giants have been desperately lacking. And they didn't lose anything irreplaceable off the current roster. It was a no brainer of a move for Bonner.

Also if you want to watch all of Thrower's fights (without having to scroll through the YouTube videos many of which aren't even fights) hockeyfights.com is your best bet. Go to this link http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/17977/videos

johnnyradiant
11-25-2014, 12:36 PM
And does anybody bringing up his downside mention how the reason he wants to be closer to home maybe effecting or might effect his game? And just what is the status of that reason? Anybody saying how his brother has been coping?

Lucic
11-25-2014, 01:13 PM
And does anybody bringing up his downside mention how the reason he wants to be closer to home maybe effecting or might effect his game?

It could be. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just passing along the word. It's been a common theme following Josh. And it's not just something that has been expressed by fans or media. That's all I'll say on that matter.

As I said before I really don't care about any of that. I'm more than happy to have him on the team and he is the kind of player I wanted Bonner to acquire the past couple of seasons. I just lost faith they would until last week when I saw the headline. If any of that is true hopefully that can change in a different environment. Even if it doesn't he still brings an element this team doesn't have and needs.

Priceisright
11-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Just curious how you guys base his fighting skills and toughness.

Looking at his stats, his penalty minute totals don't stand out.

Are players scared of him?

Lucic
11-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Just curious how you guys base his fighting skills and toughness.

Looking at his stats, his penalty minute totals don't stand out.

Are players scared of him?

Just watch some of his fights. I think his fighting ability speaks for itself. Goulbourne is one of the toughest guys in the league and he stood in there with him toe to toe. And I think Thrower landed the better punches in that bout. Thrower also beat Jacob Doty last season. Doty was without question the toughest guy in the league last year, IMO. In regard to penalty minutes Thrower doesn't take a lot of minor penalties therefore his PIM total isn't very high. Which isn't a bad thing by any means. He isn't an overly aggressive player but he will certainly stick up for teammates and look for a big hit whenever possible. This day and age I would say certain players would fear fighting him. The league is so soft compared to what it used to be I don't think that is a stretch at all.

johnnyradiant
11-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Lucic,
I'm most certainly not shooting the messenger. I just know that the reasons for wanting to be close to home could, and very rightly, effect his game, or anyones for that matter. I don't believe I could stand there at the end of the season and hold any player accountable for an inconsistent season when there is major off-ice stuff in play that is not controllable by the player. I guess I'm curious if any of his downside could be attributable to the off-ice stuff.

Lucic
11-28-2014, 03:01 PM
It absolutely could be. Obviously I can't speak for Josh but it would be completely understandable if it impacted his play. Hopefully that is the case and Vancouver will be a good home. Only time will tell.

Priceisright
11-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Wish we had Dalton :( I really enjoyed watching him play when he was in the lineup. Very nice player.

Lucic
11-28-2014, 03:48 PM
I wish we had both. Preferably at the same time.