PDA

View Full Version : Ward - out

johnnyradiant
11-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Boy oh boy can't say how happy I am at this point to be wrong. Looks like his last 4 games were his last 1 game. Bonus points to Bonner for not taking any more time on this.

Giantsfan
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm really surprised it was just hours before game time. Not surprised he was fired, but the timing. He was a dead man walking & this had to be done.

Priceisright
11-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Who hired him? They should be accountable and fired as well!

patsdude114
11-26-2014, 07:23 PM
did they really think Ward was just going to magically turn things around in 20 or so games?

not like he was given a strong roster to start the year anyways

Priceisright
11-26-2014, 07:29 PM
I am so frustrated with this organization lately. This as a season ticket holder from day one.

Have to seriously consider dropping these next year!

Knuckles Muldoon
11-26-2014, 08:15 PM
So Erhart's behind the bench?

dondo
11-26-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if it's all his fault and to be honest I never liked Matt Erhart as an assistant since he came here so having him as interim doesn't fill me will confidence.

The problem is that the boys were playing with a forecheck and focus earlier in the season and he simply wasn't getting that lately. I think he was frustrated from minute one that the kids did not have a skill set and awareness that he had expected and bumping down a level was more of a challenge than he thought.

I would like to see along with a new head coach - Yogi and Matt gone as well. The past several years the kids may have stopped drinking Hay's Kool-Aid, but they weren't quaffing down what the other guys were serving either. Our special teams used to be top of the league and they have been hovering at the bottom for more than a few seasons

It sounds mercenary, but I wonder if Ward was Quinn's boy and with him passing the Giants decided to make the jump dumping the coach.

I feel for Ward as it seemed he was really trying to make it work, but was never a teaching coach type of guy, which you have to be to a certain extent. I won't miss his short bench or quick and brutal doghouse (having some guys ride the pine for periods at a time for a minor error) or the way he managed the goaltenders. I just think it was a poor fit and I am happy they recognized that early, instead of letting this drag out.

I still don't see this team being competitive any time soon and feel there might be some issues in the room, despite the repeated "good group of guys" protestations. Some trades might fill some holes and shift some of our duplicates out. We might also consider dealing marketable vets for roster players who might need a change or better chances to shine.

dondo
11-26-2014, 08:17 PM
So Erhart's behind the bench?

Yup - interim head coach

Knuckles Muldoon
11-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Yup - interim head coach

Gone after 25 games....that makes Ward the Giants' version of Bill LaForge.

dondo
11-26-2014, 08:23 PM
As I said above I think it was a poor fit. Also admitting during an interview that the boys are too fragile and not capable of recovering (after they gutted out some games early in the season and won some comeback games) from a bad break might have been the first nail in the coffin.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-26-2014, 08:32 PM
As I said above I think it was a poor fit. Also admitting during an interview that the boys are too fragile and not capable of recovering (after they gutted out some games early in the season and won some comeback games) from a bad break might have been the first nail in the coffin.

The team was playing puck-possession hockey at the start of the year and getting some good results. The D was solid but unspectacular.
What the hell happened?

Priceisright
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Gone after 25 games....that makes Ward the Giants' version of Bill LaForge.

I think there was an nhl coach fired after 8 games? Forget what year. Of course I could be wrong lol

dondo
11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
The team was playing puck-possession hockey at the start of the year and getting some good results. The D was solid but unspectacular.
What the hell happened?

I've been wondering the same thing for over a month knuckles - losing Benson to U17s and then injury affected the team much the same way that Thrower (Dalton) last year being out of the line-up did so that might be an element, but there was a definite shift in late October as the style did change. The players were no longer going to the net or pressing in offensive zone.

Felt like the guys got a bit lazy and then tentative.

It was interesting hearing Bonner talk between periods tonight and the one thing that really stood out to me was his comment that Ward was treating the players like men, giving them responsibilities and (too much) freedom. Normally you would think that would instill a sense of ownership in the players some pride and the drive to play hard and grow, but I think it backfired badly as Bonner sounded very irritated about it when he was mentioning it.

I really hope the room is not broken, because then we won't see any real change until something big changes in the room. A new coach alone won't do it. Personality conflicts can be poison.

Priceisright
11-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Oh my, we lost to Lethbridge 4-0 , yikes.

Swando
11-26-2014, 11:30 PM
I see this as a combination of errors. They let Hay out of last year most likely thinking they could easily get their man to replace him.... Not so. I think what Toigo and ownership were offering their top choices didn't make financial sense based on the cost of living in Vancouver area compared to Alberta etc and their choices quickly chose other spots to coach. Giants were in a pickle and they took ward as a 3rd to 5th choice.

Who is to blame? In this order Ownership - Bonner - scouts - Ward ( for his not being able to teach youngsters but rather treating them like MEN) and finally the players.

I do not see a bright light at the end of the tunnel! I have been going through the line up and will submit a new post !

Giantsfan
11-27-2014, 12:03 AM
I think there was an nhl coach fired after 8 games? Forget what year. Of course I could be wrong lol

PHILADELPHIA—Despite a preseason vote of confidence from ownership, the Philadelphia Flyers fired coach Peter Laviolette Monday after an 0-3 start.

Swando
11-27-2014, 01:39 AM
FighterNotALover

Your reply has to be one of the BETTER insite replies I have ever read. I can not agree with you more. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

The question is : What can be salvaged? Are our fringe players that have less than 0-3 points busts? We have quite a few of them. We are a very young team with very few 19 yr old for next year. However..our younger players are not producing!

WesternHockeyScout
11-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Mennell has actually played quite a bit at forward positions growing up. Both center and wing in addition to defense

WesternHockeyScout
11-27-2014, 02:12 AM
Not what I heard but thanks for correcting me. He does have offensive instincts.
No prob. Lance Pitlick has a boy Mennells age and Lance coached him all the way up on the Minnesota Blades. They played at the Brick tourney, Subway, Top Prospects in Toronto etc. Etc. All the big youth tournaments. Mennell was a winger on that team. Also Iin Chicago Steve Dubinski had a team for a few year sponsored by BASE. Mennell was a center man on that team. He did play defense in Chicago last year but he has played all positions all the way up. Pretty versatile kid

dondo
11-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Me-thinks FighterNotALover has an inside track to this team. A lot of this makes sense and also explains why the style of play changed, but not why it couldnt have changed back. There are other rumours I have been hearing that have me frustrated.

Thanks for throwing in.

WesternHockeyScout
11-27-2014, 02:26 AM
No prob. Lance Pitlick has a boy Mennells age and Lance coached him all the way up on the Minnesota Blades. They played at the Brick tourney, Subway, Top Prospects in Toronto etc. Etc. All the big youth tournaments. Mennell was a winger on that team. Also Iin Chicago Steve Dubinski had a team for a few year sponsored by BASE. Mennell was a center man on that team. He did play defense in Chicago last year but he has played all positions all the way up. Pretty versatile kid
Now that I think of it, when Mennell played center for Dubinski , his wingers were Steves kid and coincidentally, another current Giant, David Brumm

dondo
11-27-2014, 02:48 AM
I think that is the big mystery: why not revert to the style that was taught through training camp & preseason and what worked so effectively early on? That's something I sure don't get. Now Ward is gone so I suppose it's a mute point.

Yes and no - This is at least an opportunity for the boys to be guided back to that system. That said: I have never felt a good vibe from Erhart so I'm not sure he can right the ship without a different head coach, but regardless Bonner got Ward (who not his first choice I believe you recall) mainly because he was supposed to play an aggressive forechecking puck possession style.

Oddly it was the same style Hayzer used to hang his hat on, we only started the dump and chase crap and sitting back in the neutral zone the past few years. I remember being very impressed with the work ethic and tenacity in the offensive zone the Giants had when I really got into them. The hustle of the average players in those days (on changes to the bench even) always impressed me.

Where's another Garet Hunt when you need one. It is unlikely we will ever see a player that small, tough and motivated again.

johnnyradiant
11-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Back in that era of Hay's and Hunt you used to see players skating back to the bench after a hard shift faster than you see some of our current guys leave the bench to start their shift. Consistent hard worked shifts go along in forming a solid foundation for whatever style you want to play with a Win at the end of 60.

And remember puck possession is Not how many times you get to fish the puck out of your own net!

johnnyradiant
11-28-2014, 02:16 PM
So only 3 months into a 3 year contract I guess Ward isn't going to be hurting too much. One would think he will have to start working hard on getting past this point to leave as a spot on his resume rather than an issue. I wonder if the contract has anything in it in terms of early release. If they missed out on a couple guys because of a salary difference I can't imagine Ward's contract will help the next guy out any. Bet if it was just $ in the Hunter negotiations it isn't looking like such a big deal now. How directly do you think Toigo's involvement is in picking a coach? Does he just give Bonner a few contract parameters like $ and hold an ultimate veto, as an owner, that is used as a just in case or is he more involved in the process?

patsdude114
11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
reports out of the Saskatoon newspaper is that Mollenken is in the running for the Vancouver Head Coaching job

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Another+reunion+wouldn+benefit+Moodie+Blades/10421964/story.html

Lucic
11-28-2014, 03:17 PM
What the hell happened?

At the start of the season I was shocked by their early success. And I couldn't help but think they were vastly overachieving. I figured reality would set in and the team would come down to earth. What I didn't expect was such a far drop off. I expected the team to be mediocre not bottom feeders. I never once believed the Giants had the personnel to play a puck possession game. Which is why hiring Ward was a bit of a head scratcher for me. I realized Toigo wanted to play that style of game but without the right pieces (and that goes well beyond the coach) it isn't going to work. The scary thing is this roster isn't build for a dump and chase or heavy forechecking team either. So that begs the question what is this team? It's a good question. And probably one of the many reasons this team is as bad as they are. There is no identity and there are too many similar pieces.

As for Ward he had to go. It's far from his fault there is plenty of blame to go round. But this team desperately needed a shake up. It wasn't working and it wasn't going to get better either, IMO. I guess the question now is who are they going to bring in? It's a real tough call. No one single coach is going to be able to turn this around himself. I don't envy Bonner right now that's for sure. A lot of tough decisions to be made.

Lucic
11-28-2014, 03:23 PM
reports out of the Saskatoon newspaper is that Mollenken is in the running for the Vancouver Head Coaching job

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Another+reunion+wouldn+benefit+Moodie+Blades/10421964/story.html

I heard the rumor about Molleken not long after Ward was let go. He also has a relationship with Scott Bonner so it makes sense.

However because he is still being paid by the Blades any team that hires him will have to make it worth his while. If he accepts another coaching job he won't receive the money the Blades still owe him. Given Toigo has been pretty cheap lately it's no guarantee the Giants can offer him something on par (or better) than what he's being paid by Saskatoon currently. That could possibly put him out of the running.

Personally I like Molleken and would love to see him on board. I know many people don't like the guy because he is old school and the game has changed, blah, blah, blah. But he is good at working with younger players and for a team like the Giants without an identity and given the kind of coach they just had, Lorne would be a pretty good fit, IMO. I'd say it would be a no brainer if it weren't for his current financial situation with the Blades. Then again if he wants to get back into coaching this might be the right opportunity.

Priceisright
11-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Molleken regular season record is pretty decent. Playoff record not so good.

I can't imagine he would take a coach only job. Kinda step backwards imo.

Unless they turf Bonner but I think him and Toigo are close. So that ain't gonna happen as long as Toigo owns the giants.

Lucic
11-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Molleken regular season record is pretty decent. Playoff record not so good.

I can't imagine he would take a coach only job. Kinda step backwards imo.

The playoffs are a pipe dream for this team. So his all time playoff record shouldn't be a concern at all. Molleken is a good teacher and works well with younger players. I think a coach like that would be good for this team especially given the current situation. But obviously he would have to be interested and willing to void his current contract with the Blades.

I'm sure there are other candidates the Giants will be looking at as well. I have a feeling they will bring in someone else. Just a hunch.

Lucic
11-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Well that didn't take long. Molleken is already out of the mix. The two sides couldn't come to an agreement. Sounds like a familiar tune with Toigo lately.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Well that didn't take long. Molleken is already out of the mix. The two sides couldn't come to an agreement. Sounds like a familiar tune with Toigo lately.
What is going on with Toigo? Have sales dried-up down at Tsawwassen Springs? Does he figure Hay was the gold-standard and therefore won't match that or go higher?

Priceisright
11-29-2014, 12:01 AM
We talked at length for a number of days,” said Molleken, speaking from his condo in Mexico late Thursday night. “We couldn’t come to an agreement.” :rolleyes:

rinkrat
11-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Sounds like the Giants have found their new coach...

JAY JANOWER @DOUBLEJGLOBALBC · 26m 26 minutes ago

Looks like Vancouver Giants have found their new Head Coach, a name NHL fans are familiar with and one your not expecting.

Any guesses?

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Marc Crawford?

rinkrat
11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Claude Noel. Former Jets coach.

dondo
12-02-2014, 07:44 PM
and how do feel about that rinkrat?

rinkrat
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
and how do feel about that rinkrat?

I have a feeling Noel will just finish the season here, then move back to pro. Its a long shot but Crawford could be the guy next year. He stated that he wouldn't leave a team mid season and Noel stated he has no term on this deal, will re evaluate after season.

Pure speculation on my part, but this gives the Giants a few months and the off season to find a long term solution and I think Noel will be fine in the interim.