PDA

View Full Version : Giants 0 Oil Kings 3 - Nov 28th, 2014

dondo
11-29-2014, 01:06 AM
It felt less scrambly and more focused. Jarry was very good, but the boys still need to gut it out better on the doorstep.

Oil Kings Grease Giants
Vancouver 0 Edmonton 3

Giants get shut out again. Better effort from the boys, but it is not translating onto the score sheet. Jackson Houck and Dalton Sward had some very good chances to break Tristan Jarry’s shut-out, but the Edmonton netminder was too good and too lucky to be beat. After stinking up the joint in Medicine Hat and even worse in Lethbridge versus a team that was most definitely beatable, the boys somewhat bounced back at least effort-wise. Still a bit undisciplined and lacking focus at the beginning of the game the Giants players need to shore up these deficiencies. They also need some puck luck. A goofy bounce or deflection off an opposing player to break their goalless slump and break their now 6 game losing streak.

The Giants coughed up a goal 22 seconds into the game. They recovered well and battled for the rest of the period, but could not make their chances count. In the second it was much the same, good chances but no finish around the net and not getting good wood on loose pucks. Allowing the puck to be tipped off your stick when you are looking to have a 2 on 0 break is just a lack of focus and poor puck protection. Despite their good work in the middle frame, they gave up a PP goal against on Edmonton’s first PP chance late in the period. In the third they had their chances, but eventually were broken with another PP marker. Late in the game the Giants had a 5 on 3 chance and got close to breaking the goose-egg, but could just not solve Jarry. It’s getting frustrating for me so I can only imagine how agitated the boys in the room are. They really do need a little bit of fortune to smile, but hard work begets luck as the old adage says – “good to be lucky, lucky to be good”.

Edmonton is a good team so you could almost call this game a good bounce-back, but the Giants weren’t able to find twine. Maybe I’m just desperate to see any positives, but to be honest this game felt like some progression. Traffic around the net and players trying to score and creating chances is a good direction to move. The more they do that eventually the dam has to break. The Gs do have players capable of filling the net, but they are gripping the stick a bit tight and lack some real quality second chances and hunger.

Team Notes: Holterhus and Bobylev found their way back into the line-up and Menell played up front a bit. Geertsen was back in the line-up after serving his (ridiculously bogus) 1 game suspension. McKinstry, Ronning still out – Stukel scratched. If he is uninjured I expect to see him in Calgary.

Fight Night: Jackson Houck v. Aaron Irving – a decent bout, but the linesmen were far too quick to jump in. I want some old school intense hockey, but we seem to have all types of zebras getting involved far more than they need to do.

Zebra Cage: Clayton Hall and Kyle Kowalski – Edmonton took the first three penalties of the game. The striped ones seemed to be mainly punishing physical play, from my perspective.

The Giants out shot the Oil Kings 35-29. They struggled with the man advantage going 0 for 6 and let the Edmonton boys have a 50% night, going 2 for 4. So special teams were not their strong suit. On a positive note the Giants were actually creating some good looks on the PP, but could not finish. Jarry was very good, but when the boys finally slipped a puck past the ‘tender they found red iron. I am hoping that the guys can build from this outing and take a more complete game into Calgary.

I was most disappointed by the interview with our scout in Alberta between periods. He seemed to be talking up very average prospects as ones to watch. Kole Bryks is a 17 yr old defenseman and big, if he was good enough to stick in the Dub he would be a regular on the team. But our scout talks like he’s a top prospect. At least that what I was hearing. I really think it is past time for us to implode our scouting crew, from Bonner’s Dad on out. Ripplinger must go and the team needs to address its needs. The scouts have to stop looking at smaller skilled guys as top prospects – those are latter round pick-ups. We have to stop trading down in the first round to get an Ast instead of drafting Nik Petan, or Sam Reinhart who were available to us in that draft, before we traded down. Unless the smaller skill guy fights like Hunt and scores like Gallagher then let’s look at some other options. We already have tons of small skill guys, who are small, play small and not as skilled as advertised. Our first round picks the past seasons have been busts. Let’s recognize our scouting has been some of the worst in the league and that the franchise cannot use the “It’s Don Hay’s fault” boondoggle any more.

Anyway, that’s my rant. We need real prospects and not another raft of “skilled, smaller forwards”. Funny that other teams get skilled big forwards and we continue to draft undersized forwards who are not as talented or durable as they should be. I agree we need a mix of those guys, but we have so many of the same kind of player in the system it gets frustrating and predictable.

The boys need to build on the effort of tonight, but make their created opportunities count. They need to rediscover the finish they had at the start of the season and stop leaving their goalies high and dry. Better work ethic a bit more pride and less lazy penalties at poor times. Not much to ask, eh? Actually they need to make more progress and begin to rebuild their confidence and earn some games. The boys need to realize that no one is going to give them games the way they have gifted games to opposing teams. They need to work, work harder than they think they do and most importantly commit to their team-mates. The puck drops in Calgary at 7pm local time and 6pm Pacific.

Three Stars

1. Tristan Jarry
2. Brandon Baddock
3. Aaron Irving

Still no hardhats, but some better effort by some of the boys

Giantsfan
11-29-2014, 02:15 AM
I thought the Giants played well enough to earn a point but were unlucky to not even get a goal.

It was a terribly boring game except for the last couple minutes when the Gmen had the 2 man advantage. Other than that, it was too scrambly & not much intensity. There was a couple hits & a fight but overall it wasn't a well played game.

Porter had no chance on the goals. Maybe the first one, but he may have been screened. Absolutely brutal defensive plays are costing this team. Horrible defense on the goals. You can't have a guy in front of the net & no defenseman within 10 feet.

The reffing wasn't great. I thought the penalty to Thrower for charging was a product of the no hitting rule they seem to throw in once in a while

Either way Giants had plenty of chances to score on the power play but were not moving the puck much & are afraid to fire it & guys aren't standing in front of Jarry.

If they played like this in Lethbridge they probably could have won & now they head into Calgary where they NEVER win. I've already written this game as a loss as I did tonight. This team has so many problems that it's gonna take more than just a new coach to fix what's broken.

I agree on the drafting. It's been brutal as has been the import draft. The Giants have so many guys with little to no value so its good that Scott stocked up on the draft picks because he'll have to throw those in to whoever he trades to get some help. They are so bloody small up front & nobody goes to the net.

Good news is they are not last in the league. Bad news is they are only 2 points up from last. Could be last by next weekend when Blades come to town.

Giantsfan
11-29-2014, 02:24 AM
I was asking Steve Ewen if Benson is still not 100% because he has done nothing & has been invisible since his return. Can't expect him to be the go to guy every game but he's been a non factor since his return.

I thought they were horrible in their zone. Osipov & Geertsen were no where near the Oil King guy on the one goal. Maybe it was better than some games but not great.

I agree, they looked more relaxed & had a chance to win the game if they could ever get some puck luck.

I agree, if Cody Porter starts tomorrow Lee is done. I think he's close but not done yet.

Giantsfan
11-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Yeah that's the Geertsen I think all Giants fans wanna see on a nightly basis. He still makes bad passes or ices the puck too much but I can overlook that when he's on his game because he makes the opposition pay & his does intimidate guys.

Yes, that goal was terrible coverage. How can you just let a guy stand in front of the goalie? What ever happened to paying the price to be in the slot.

Osipov is a frustrating player for the reasons you stated. I think Hay really hurt his development by sitting him a lot & not showing confidence in him
He is another guy who has a mean streak but only occasionally will he bring it.

It's hard because I wanna like the Euros but Bobylev just doesn't do anything. He had a quick start but faded fast & now rarely does anything. Same with Roach, Brumm & Holterhus. I have to remember these guys are 16 & 17 but they have to bring something because as it stands they really aren't doing anything that warrants them any ice time.

I'm sure Bonner is working the phones. No playoffs so not many players are not trade worthy. Not much value either but he has to start to improve the roster.

Going into the season they were hoping to land the 2016 Mem Cup bid. What a disaster this season has become. Anyone who said they saw this coming is a liar. They overachieved at the start but now are underachieving so bad that the coach was fired. There are so many problems with the team that I don't envy Bonner.

Lucic
11-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Was that first goal deflected? I couldn't tell on the video. Originally I thought it was a soft goal but if it was deflected that explains it. Giving up goals so early into the game is something that needs to change if they ever hope to break out of this slump. The Giants responded well to that but they can't keep shooting themselves in the foot like that.

Despite losing the Giants were the better team last night. That is little consolation given the end result but it was good to see them compete against one of the better teams in the Eastern Conference.

dondo
11-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I think the boys across the board are suffering from a crisis in confidence and that only playing well and getting some wins under their belt will help solve that. They do need some puck luck and seem to be working toward that.

I think, like me, a lot fans expected to get a Nail Yakupov or Ovechkin type when the Giants had the top euro pick before any of the Eastern teams - and we selected Osipov. There HAD to be better prospects than Osipov out there. I suspect we are trusting a third party to do our euro scouting and it is a disaster.

The only time we draft someone reasonably good seems to be when another team has done the work scouting him, as in St Louis with Schwarz and the Canucks with Bliznak and that euro goalie the 'Nucks didn't do their homework for. Other than that ... Casper Carning? a very unready Dane who ran away as quickly as he arrived?? Come-on we have got have better connections than that. The list is endless and I get the Hay argument, but that argument has become a crutch for the past 7 years - enough already. We are a large market franchise that should have no problem attracting top talent and yet we can't. Why? Scouting? Ownership? Management? a little from columns A,B and C?

Anyway I still have high hopes for Osipov, but with that pick we should have acquired a world beater, not a middling D-man with upside but serious problems. The fact that we didn't speaks volumes as to the quality of our scouting and ability to attract top talent. I worry Benson will get frustrated and demand a trade and we won't get even close to value for him. We need to give him a team he aches to be a part of. Now.

SectionNDeserter
11-29-2014, 02:32 PM
I suspect we are trusting a third party to do our euro scouting and it is a disaster.Your suspicions are correct. I am not aware of any WHL team that has a network of scouts overseas, or that could really even afford to. They often draft players by having discussions with the player' agents, or rarely using third-hand information from NHL connections they may have.

Also, due to politics, high-reputation players are not easy to get over to North America. If you draft one, there is no guarantee that you will be able to get them over here before they are drafted and playing in the NHL. So if a team is not particularly strong at that point in time, they are more likely to draft a low-risk import on the advice of their agent, that will play with them for two or three seasons, and possibly develop into a gem, rather than gamble on one season of a high-profile import player, that may do little more than put up some decent numbers on a non-playoff team, and cost an arm and a leg to get over to North America.