PDA

View Full Version : Claude Noel is your guy.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Claude Noel is the new head coach of the Vancouver Giants.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Here's his coaching record taken from hockeydb.com

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result
1984-85 Toledo Goaldiggers IHL Player-Assistant‡
1988-89 North Bay Centennials OHL Assistant
1989-90 North Bay Centennials OHL Assistant
1990-91 Roanoke Valley Rebels ECHL Head 64 26 31 0 7 0.461 Out of Playoffs
1991-92 Dayton Bombers ECHL Head 64 32 26 0 6 0.547 Lost in round 1
1992-93 Dayton Bombers ECHL Head 64 35 23 0 6 0.594 Lost in round 2
1993-94 Kalamazoo Wings IHL Assistant
1995-96 Michigan K-Wings IHL Assistant
1996-97 Michigan K-Wings IHL Head 82 31 44 0 7 0.421 Lost in round 1
1997-98 Michigan K-Wings IHL Head 82 36 39 0 7 0.482 Lost in round 1
1998-99 Milwaukee Admirals IHL Assistant
2000-01 Milwaukee Admirals IHL Assistant
2001-02 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Assistant
2002-03 Toledo Storm ECHL Head 72 47 15 0 10 0.722 Lost in round 2
2003-04 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 46 24 7 3 0.638 Won Championship
2004-05 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 47 24 0 9 0.644 Lost in round 1
2005-06 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 49 21 0 10 0.675 Lost in Finals
2006-07 Milwaukee Admirals AHL Head 80 41 25 0 14 0.600 Lost in round 1
2007-08 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Assistant
2008-09 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Assistant
2009-10 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Assistant
2009-10 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Head‡ 24 10 8 0 6 0.542 Out of Playoffs
2010-11 Manitoba Moose AHL Head 80 43 30 0 7 0.581 Lost in round 2
2011-12 Winnipeg Jets NHL Head 82 37 35 0 10 0.512 Out of Playoffs
2012-13 Winnipeg Jets NHL Head 48 24 21 0 3 0.531 Out of Playoffs
2013-14 Winnipeg Jets NHL Head† 47 19 23 0 5 0.457

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Here are some sound bytes Steve Ewen posted on Twitter taken from YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kls-CUYnIc

dondo
11-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Wow another coach stepping down a few levels. I wonder how this one is going to work out? I liked the kind of attitude that Noel brought to the Jets when he was there though.

Interesting...

Priceisright
11-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Ya wonder why he would drop a few levels. I guess maybe the huge challenge. Living in a beautiful city :), probably paid quite well. And to build back up his resume.

I'm quite surprised.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Here is what one Giants season ticket holder emailed to me.

What an abysmal record. UGH.

LOL

Priceisright
11-30-2014, 04:37 PM
His coaching record isn't bad.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 05:10 PM
I guess it's a wait & see how he does which will determine if the Giants hire him for more than just this season.

I guess it also comes down to who is available in the summer.

His coaching record is pretty bad but it's slim pickins this time of season.

Priceisright
11-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Am I looking at the wrong coach?

523 wins 389 losses as a coach.:confused:

scrunt
11-30-2014, 07:04 PM
This selection makes no sense to me. While I don't have anything against Noel, he seems like a high risk choice when what we need now is a proven coach that understands the WHL and young players. Which is Molleken.

Ward's failing was his inability to adjust his systems and player management to the junior level from the pros, and going to Noel seems to carry a risk of the same.

Sadly it seems that Toigo is trying to cover his losses by cost management, which is a recipe for perpetuating poor on-ice performance and dropping gate revenues, which is a viscous cycle.

I'm of mixed emotions here too. I truly believe that the Giants need an overhaul of scouting, player development and goalie development, but it seems like the team is still in denial that the problems lie anywhere other than the coaching. Much as I hate seeing the team lose, a truly dismal season is the only way there might be impetus for change (I am deeply thankful for Tortorella -- he forced Canucks ownership to see the truth...).

rinkrat
11-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Marc Crawford said the other day that he would not leave a team mid-season.
Maybe Noel finishes this season, moves on the the AHL and Crawford comes in to start next season...

Mollekan wasn't going to accept this job, he's getting paid for two years by the Blades to sit on the beach in Mexico...

Priceisright
11-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Doesn't the GM hire all theses scouts etc? Bonner should be the one getting the hoof imo. I wouldn't blame the scouts entirely. He hired them, I'm assuming.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure if it's completely the GM who hire the scouts. I'm sure the entire Giants ownership (the hockey owners, Quinn rip, Toigo) & Scott Bonner are in charge of the hiring of scouts.

I'm a big supporter of Scott Bonner. I've made this clear many times but Ward was clearly not his or Toigo's first choice & that is why they took so long in finding a head coach after Hay departed. I believe that nobody wanted to hire Ward but they were left empty handed & training camp was closing in.

I too don't think Noel is the guy. Maybe we're all wrong & he's great. I just don't understand why they wouldn't go with Erhart to finish the season since he's been here longer than Ward & Noel.

I think missing the playoffs is almost a given unless they can go on a similar run like they did last season before Dalton Thrower got injured. It's highly unlikely but one thing is for sure, the rumor mill is never dull when the team is in turmoil like they have been in the last few seasons.

Giantsfan
11-30-2014, 08:00 PM
(I am deeply thankful for Tortorella -- he forced Canucks ownership to see the truth...).

The Canucks never fired the scouts. They overhauled the management side but the scouts are still there. The same scouts that fans have been saying have to be fired. Now the team is winning & nobody says anything about the scouts.
Virtanen looked good last night & Horvat made the team so obviously the scouts have made some good choices of late.

As for the Giants, I'm still surprised that Ripplinger got an extension. Toigo is a loyal guy that's for sure.

Priceisright
11-30-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure if it's completely the GM who hire the scouts. I'm sure the entire Giants ownership (the hockey owners, Quinn rip, Toigo) & Scott Bonner are in charge of the hiring of scouts.

I'm a big supporter of Scott Bonner. I've made this clear many times but Ward was clearly not his or Toigo's first choice & that is why they took so long in finding a head coach after Hay departed. I believe that nobody wanted to hire Ward but they were left empty handed & training camp was closing in.

I too don't think Noel is the guy. Maybe we're all wrong & he's great. I just don't understand why they wouldn't go with Erhart to finish the season since he's been here longer than Ward & Noel.

I think missing the playoffs is almost a given unless they can go on a similar run like they did last season before Dalton Thrower got injured. It's highly unlikely but one thing is for sure, the rumor mill is never dull when the team is in turmoil like they have been in the last few seasons.

Ya I guess it's a group decision. He probably doesn't get to hand pick. Oh well let's see how the year plays out. :)

Lucic
11-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Not overly thrilled with this move. Molleken would have been a better fit. I know they couldn't agree to terms but I'm assuming that's due to Toigo being a cheap ass. Then again I wonder how much Noel cost? You'd think a more recent NHL coach would command more money. Something tells me this is only a short term hiring.

Swando
12-01-2014, 12:49 AM
IMO They probably gave him a NICE contract that would kick in again next year ( with bonuses) if he does well. However Not Knowing this guy and who has not enjoyed the bus rides of the WHL... I feel this is an immediate stop gap measure to resurrect the player confidence. IMO. I hope I am wrong. The reason for my thinking is this but hope it is long term if it works out.

1. If they continue on with Erhart and do poorly the players can say it is the coaching.

2. Bring In an established NHL coach with experience.... the players will hopefully respect and listen. If we continue to lose in the manner we did in the past then management and players knows it's the players.

3. Coach now has 4 /5 days to develop report with team to at least address them as players by name. My guess is he knew a few days earlier and wanted to watch them play before committing to take the job.

4.Maybe I'm jumping all over the place here but .. MAYBE but the Giants are bringing in someone to teach Erhart. I like Erhart. I also like the Kelowna Rockets system of hiring from within. That is a HUGE plus for recruiting and
team stabilization. ie " Bring in good people and we will promote you.

Just a thought but why not copy a franchise that has proven success.. Even though I despise them which they would finish in the bottom every year

Giantsfan
12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
I'd be surprised if Erhart is still around next season.

As for Molleken, he wanted to be GM & coach. Wasn't gonna happen. Nothing to with Toigo being cheap.

The way the press release was worded makes you think it's a wait & see how the Giants finish contract.

Lucic
12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
As for Molleken, he wanted to be GM & coach. Wasn't gonna happen. Nothing to with Toigo being cheap.

That makes sense. I'm glad to hear it had nothing to do with Toigo being cheap. Molleken seems to like having full control. That is too much responsibility for one person this day and age, IMO. And with Bonner around that was doomed from the get go. That's unfortunate as he would have been a good fit in my mind.

Priceisright
12-02-2014, 05:44 PM
So what happens after this year re a coach?:hmmm::hmmm:

What non direction is this team going?

Knuckles Muldoon
12-02-2014, 07:11 PM
This hire screams 'stop-gap'. I cannot see Noel agreeing to be around any longer than the rest of the season. The question is....what can he do in the meantime, and how does that set up for next year? Having all these changes in style must be completely messing with the player's minds.

dondo
12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Sadly it doesn't set up for next year at all. Might be time to implode whole damn thing.

For those of you who are unaware: Terry Bonner (yes Scott's Dad) is our head of scouting. Ripplinger is Director of Player Personnel and to be brutally honest this has been the worst managed and least realized aspect of the team for a few years now. After so many years of serious first round pick fails and really bad hockey decisions being made re: players we select and where and how we develop them - he should never, ever have been given a new contract. He should have been fired with extreme prejudice.

Anyway, Noel seems to be a poor choice to me especially since he is willing to drop to Major Junior from the NHL. I don't really see much future here. Stop-gap indeed.

The Giants are really on the verge of losing STHs in droves, not because we are tired of them losing, but because we are very tired of marginal product and the extreme denial this franchise seems to have assessing its own house.

Giantsfan
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
The Giants have lost a lot of older season ticket holders over the last few seasons because the product on the ice, more the game on the ice, isn't what WHL hockey is supposed to be.

I still enjoy going to the games. Sure, it's not as good at the Lucic, Hunt years but I enjoy the game & the social aspect. It'll never be as good as the Mem Cup era again. That hockey is dead as it's now family friendly hockey.

Priceisright
12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Beginning to think this hiring was a bit of a PR stunt. Does anyone buy that thought? especially since it looks like this is short term. And Noel really wants to coach in the NHL. Strange he would take on a jr role imo.

Giantsfan
12-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I understand why he would take the role. No guarantee that an NHL team will come calling & this way he gets more experience. Makes sense to me. I guess depending on how the team does will be a factor if they offer him a contract next season.

johnnyradiant
12-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Maybe they want to go retro next year and bring back our first coach. If they can't win he could maybe coach some entertaining hockey again and tie his win record. That might be enough to force a venue move too.