PDA

View Full Version : Klimchuk to WJ Selection Camp

chopper
12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I see than Morgan has been invited to the WJ selection camp so kudos to him. Among other things it solidifies his status as one of the top players in the WHL. He will clearly miss some games and should he make the squad, quite a few games.

Playing the devils advocate here what do we do. Do we move him in the next little while so that we don't potentially lose him for a month and risk injury? Do we hold on for month with no asset (if he makes it) and try to create a bidding war at the Jan 10 deadline?

What are the thoughts out there? At any rate we likely won't see him in our jersey too much longer. Hopefully he has a good upcoming week as it potentially could be his last here. We are now truly in the Christmas countdown phase.

patsdude114
12-01-2014, 01:12 PM
I personally would love to see him traded before he leaves for the Team Canada selection camp but if by chance they don't trade him before then and wait til the tournament is over they could get a bidding war on him.

I hope they call up Adam Berg if he isn't traded before hand I really think Berg deserves a shot to play in this league and what better chance to get alittle tryout while he is gone. Berg was listed in the last draft rankings for those who may not know

Bighat
12-01-2014, 01:57 PM
I agree call berg up and trade Morgan 1 game after he comes back from wjhc.

chopper
12-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I see that Max Kammerer made the list too. Good for him:)

I noted on the pats site that four Pat players got an invite to the Western team for the Jr "A" Challenge. Berg, Finlay, Zimmer and Griffin Mumby!
Where did that come from. They say he is still on the Pats protected list, and now reaching this status to get invited to play in the Jr A challenge???

Something happened and no one seems to know? He is obvious playing well at Canmore. The only reason he can be on our list that I can see, is that the Pats are thinking of moving his rights to someone in the WHL. The Pats really got to update their prospects list.

He could be a good negotiating piece to cobble together a nice deal.

patsdude114
12-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I had seen that Jr. A challenge thing as well and I thought that it must of been a spelling mistake that Mumby was there but then I searched his stats and he has put up some decent numbers this year in Canmore...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160206

30gp 6g9a 55pim

maybe he made a mistake by not attending the camp this year, I mean who knows maybe Paddock would of liked him more then what Cameron did... IMO Mumby played a lot smarter then Reagan but giving Reagan is a year younger he can still develop.

But I really hope Berg gets a shot at some point this year if I recall we have 2 roster spots still open (Nivek pointed this out to me in an email) why not take use of it and see what Berg can do also while they are at it bring on board Jared Freadrich he is one of a very few 16yr olds playing in the AJHL..... Paddock wants a quick skating, quick transition game and Freadrich one would think would fit that mold well

nivek_wahs
12-01-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure of Berg's current standing with the Pats, but he signed a Standard Player Agreement back in September 2013. He may be an option.

People are wanting the Pats to get bigger..... Freadrich isn't the answer for that at 5-10, 175 but I think that he would be a capable defenceman that can definitely move the puck and could run a power play in the future (reminds me of Perry Johnson). With the status of Williams being in question, do they bring in any bodies?

I can't verify this but I heard (from a usually reliable source) that Mumby wanted to stay close to home to concentrate on school and that's why he didn't come back.

chopper
12-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure of Berg's current standing with the Pats, but he signed a Standard Player Agreement back in September 2013. He may be an option.

People are wanting the Pats to get bigger..... Freadrich isn't the answer for that at 5-10, 175 but I think that he would be a capable defenceman that can definitely move the puck and could run a power play in the future (reminds me of Perry Johnson). With the status of Williams being in question, do they bring in any bodies?

I can't verify this but I heard (from a usually reliable source) that Mumby wanted to stay close to home to concentrate on school and that's why he didn't come back.

Kevin's right about Freadrich size but he can sure move the puck. I was hoping he might have a 3" spurt like Harrison did last year. When you see the size and strength of Kelowna's defence, it become quite clear what you need.

I wonder if Calgary or one of the surrounding teams might have some interest in Mumby. The Pats obviously feel he has some value if they retained his rights. I agree lets give Berg a few games. They will needs a player so why not an NHL rated one.

patsdude114
12-01-2014, 02:55 PM
I also wonder if around xmas school break for these kids if we need a roster player for a game or 2 if Elmer will get a chance. He showed some great flashes during preseason but also at times played scared too, he doesn't turn 16 until Dec. 31st so it does make sense why he looked scared at times.

Its nice to just be able to talk about some of the prospects we have who some of us feel could/should be given a chance to showcase themselves after 1/2 a season in midget or Jr. A we haven't had this luxury much over the years.

chopper
12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
It is indeed nice to start to see a few more groceries on the shelf. The Mustangs site says that Berg is 6'1" - 190 which could address some size issues from within. Bonus that he is rated by Central Scouting. It may be time to bring him up and get him acclimated to the WHL. I think he has more than earned his shot. It would also be nice to see Elmer who I think will be a pure goal scorer, and he is at least 6'1". Good size and skill. We just need a few players to bridge the gap.

Bighat
12-01-2014, 05:21 PM
What's the deal with Nathan mortlach is he still recovering from injury. Perry Johnson was one of my favorite pats smart with the puck and could rub out a 6'3 forward in the corner and come out with the puck every time. He just knew how to use his size.

D cherry
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Red Deer has some draft picks they may want too trade . Mason MaCarthy was drafted in 2012 .He was one of the top scores in the AMHL last year .

SectionNDeserter
12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Red Deer is hosting the Memorial Cup next season. Unless they are guaranteed that Klimchuk will return as an overage player, I would be very surprised to see them shelling out what the Pats will be asking for him this season, when they are going to need some resources to swing some big deals next season.