PDA

View Full Version : whose gage ramsay?

Priceisright
12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
I was reading a related story now about Gage Ramsay and how the Giants think he can be or will be a cornerstone of this team???

I have never heard of him. What is his story? Has he played this year? I haven't noticed his name at all.

I do know he's 16. Thats about it.

Thanks

Priceisright
12-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Thank u thank u :) ill look out for his jersey this weekend. If he is in the line up.

Giantsfan
12-02-2014, 12:40 AM
He's somebody I can see being displaced by Ty Ronning when he comes back, who is another small, skilled forward but a year older and much better player than Ramsay.

Personally, Ronning hasn't shown me anything to make me believe he's better than Ramsay. Sure, he's a year older but injury prone & when he's in the lineup he's ineffective & a non factor pretty much every game. Maybe that will change but he's going to be so outta game shape missing all the time he has. I'm not expecting much from him.

dondo
12-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Ronning has never had the chance to really step it up, but that said he has not shown the same kind of hunger his Dad had. When he hasn't been in the line-up he's been injured, so kind of unfair. Gage Ramsey is exactly the kind of player I have a really hard time with. The kind we seem to value above big mobile players.

He's 5'8" 160 - and does not play hard hockey, has skill but other than flashes he's been mostly invisible in my estimation. Yes I know he's 16, but really he is exactly the kind of marginal "small, skill" player we have far too many of. He is no better than Ronning, or Stukel, or Baer or Brumm imo and frankly he is exactly the kind of player we have to stop drafting. If he is not a top round pick because he demands to be picked due to extreme talent then don't draft him. He doesn't have the hunger of a Gallagher, the grit of a Hunt and seriously he will not be successful at this level unless he brings either.or both of those to the fore. He is not Cunningham either. He should be at a US college, wear a bird cage and play forty odd games a season.

This is why I consider us to be one the worst drafting teams in the league currently. We see a young guy wheel around in a couple of games and get chances and all of a sudden he's a f*cking cornerstone???

Gimme a freaking break. He is not a cornerstone, he's not even a top six forward in my mind and he is the same moderately skilled small forward we keep drafting. Ast anyone? Small, skilled, and injury prone. I like the kid, but you DO NOT draft an Ast in the first round and you especially don't trade down the list to take him when players like Sam Reinhart, Mason Geertsen and small but incredibly skilled forward Nic Petan is in the mix, among others. Yes we could have drafted any one of those players over Ast. Think about it.

The management of this team are doing a p*ss poor job of attracting top talent and the "Hay" excuse no longer flies. We need skill AND size and if we have a high draft pick and trade down for peanuts then the whole damn system is broken and Bonner and his Dad and Ripplinger - have to go.

Giantsfan
12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I won't disagree with most of what you are saying but to be fair, he is 16 & I've never seen him play at any other level, I'm sure most haven't.

Remember Cunningham had no goals when he was 16 & then bumped up to 11 goals & 17. It took a few years before he became a front line player. He's also a small & light player.

I realize the Gmen draft way too many of these small, speedy players but sometimes they turn into decent players, other times duds.

dondo
12-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Cunner always had a level of intensity I have yet to see from Ramsey and yes it is a little unfair to the player and that was not my intention as it he simply represents the symptom and points up the kind of self-denial this franchise currently operates under.

I have seen Gage a couple of times live so far and he does not show the kind of battle that Gallagher or Cunner had at 16. Benson imo is a true talent and deserves to be considered a cornerstone, but Ramsey? I would consider McKinstry to be more of a cornerstone player than Ramsey. So it is more an indictment of our player assessment and scouting, but really it would be interesting to see which players were available when Ramsey was picked.

That and I am in a particularly grumbly mood today where the team is concerned and needed a rant.

Giantsfan
12-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I've ranted many times myself, mostly to my wife who's heard it too many times.

I really don't know what direction they are going? They do have a very young team but it's not just the small guys that are the problem.

As for the Claude Noel, I'll wait & see how things go before making a judgement.

dondo
12-06-2014, 02:48 AM
The team looked hungry and relaxed tonight. There was no panic in their game. I also enjoyed Noel's post-game interview. He seemed pretty mellow and is happy to discover what the Dub is all about. The boys helped themselves by playing well of course, but I hope this is more of a turning point than a one-off in front of the new coach and motivated by the passing of Pat Quinn and the energy of almost 6000 fans.

They have teddy bears to motivate them tomorrow and should see another big crowd.

Swando
12-06-2014, 03:14 AM
When I first saw Cunningham play and never scored in his first year!!! I thot we were crasy in keeping him.... and then something happened.

In tonight's game against Portland... I saw the "Ramsey kid" that I heard about In the time he played he was flying around making quick moves and passes.
I liked what I saw. He must play 40 games this year as a 16 year old. (WHL rule) He was out in the last minute of the game trying to protect a lead. I thought this was a smart but questionable move on the coach's part.... Now to make a funny story out of this.. Claude Noel said in a post game interview that the game was so fast that he did'nt know which line to send out and at times he called for a line and they were on the ice!!. I might think that the 4th line got on the ice at the wrong time. But maybe not..None the less a great confidence booster for Baer, and Ramsey to be on the ice in this situation.

Giantsfan
12-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I was really surprised that Ramsay was on the ice in the final minute to protect the lead. Either a real gutsy move or a big mistake from a rookie coach.

I'm really glad it worked. Great game.