PDA

View Full Version : WHL Roster Deadline 5 Weeks & News

Shooter
12-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Season Greetings and Happy New Year Pats.

The 2014-2015 Western Hockey League trade deadline is fast approaching.

WHL Clubs have until Saturday, January 10th, at 12:00 Noon MST to make trades. Note: Following the WHL trade deadline, WHL Clubs are only permitted to make trades involving non-roster players.

A scout I talked with in Seattle is not happy with the CHL 50 man protected list governance and regulations. Do we need this reviewed?

The NHL draft is approaching in 7 months!

chopper
12-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Season Greetings and Happy New Year Pats.

The 2014-2015 Western Hockey League trade deadline is fast approaching.

WHL Clubs have until Saturday, January 10th, at 12:00 Noon MST to make trades. Note: Following the WHL trade deadline, WHL Clubs are only permitted to make trades involving non-roster players.

A scout I talked with in Seattle is not happy with the CHL 50 man protected list governance and regulations. Do we need this reviewed?

The NHL draft is approaching in 7 months!

What's he unhappy with, and what's he proposing?

Shooter
12-04-2014, 02:39 PM
He was referring to U.S.A hockey and USHL draft system and seemed interesting from his points but only chatted between periods and that was it. Players can be redrafted on yearly basis was his point and teams would define parity on a yearly basis.

Has any one heard anything?

patsdude114
12-04-2014, 03:14 PM
I can honestly say I dislike that rule or whatever it is... it takes away the meaning of the bantam draft and doing your homework on these kids before selecting them if you get to retry again and again

Shooter
12-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Lets see them!

chopper
12-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Well the first had is unofficially in the books. One would have to say we did better than expected, based primarily on the strength of our 19 year olds. We've had times where we looked real good (in Kelowna) and other times very mediocre (last nite).

Last year at the Deadline we picked up McVeigh and Wapple. We did a separate deal involving Schacher just before. We had previously acquired Leier and Zagraggen. We paid two 4th's for Schacher and got back an 8th. We got nothing for for McVeigh. Leier and Zagraggen turned 20. Zagraggen was steady for us while Leier lit it up in the first half. He disappeared in the 2nd half and playoffs. We still have to pay a 2nd rounder for him. IMO as buyers last year, it was disastrous for us and we're still paying for the mess.

With the true nature of our team, where do we go from here? I seriously hope nobody thinks we should be buyers in light of past debacles. Who needs to go and what should we get for them?

patsdude114
12-18-2014, 12:32 PM
If we didn't pay such steep prices last year so Cameron could have a vetern group to coach we could be a buyer this year, but when you are missing so many draft pieces it really makes it hard to be a buyer without trading away some of our quality 17yr olds.

In the end it doesn't really matter what our opinions are in terms of the trade deadline it all falls onto Paddock and what he wants to do.... if he see's himself as a 1yr guy here he may buy for a chance to win something at the junior level... if he see's himself here long term like his contract states then I think he will sell and in a couple years have that powerhouse where he is the favorite.

I guess time will tell what happens

chopper
12-18-2014, 01:15 PM
It will boil down to more than Paddock IMO. The ownership group doesn't want to continue committing the sins of the past. They've given him a blueprint of what they want to accomplish. If he varies from that and what he has said on record, his tenure will be short.

Last season acquisitions were made by Parker directing Lang, at great cost. They knew they were selling and wanted a contender and some playoffs gates. Cameron had between slim and no say, and slim left town. He was planning to return so I doubt he wanted to gut the team. I refuse believe it that Cameron had any input as to the direction they went. Like it's always been it was ownership. Last seasons moves were no different than the previous two decades under Parker, regardless of who held the GM's chair.

In the end they have given up far too much for the return. You win in the WHL with your 19 year olds. Our 18 year olds this year are not deep, therefore next season our 19 year old group be in that boat. I't will be interesting to see what they do about it.