PDA

View Full Version : Marek Tvrdon - Hammered by Hamilton

scrunt
12-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Interesting comments by Bruce Hamilton on Marek Tvrdon:

“Last year we made a fatal mistake,” Hamilton said. “We brought in Tvrdon thinking he was going to jumpstart us. He jump-started us the wrong way.
“That’s all on my shoulders. He wasn’t a good enough guy to be the difference in games.”
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Rockets+Hamilton+likes+build+from+within/10437798/story.html

Wow. He is effectively saying that Tvrdon was the reason the Rockets didn't make it to the Memorial Cup. Nice how he appears to accept responsibility while at the same time blaming someone else.

Sadly, another Giants euro bust.

Giantsfan
12-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Tvrdon was NOT a bust. He was a typical Euro who if scores early in the games was totally in. The team sucked during his time as a Giants so I'm sure that sucked a lot of life out of him as it did other players too. If he had some quality players to play with he could've been a top scorer in the league but he was injury prone which didn't help.

dondo
12-07-2014, 01:38 AM
I disagree. Marek was one of those highly skilled guys who never play all out. Bringing a guy like that into a very tight dressing room could most defintiely cause some issues. Tvrdon had the ability to make a difference, but most nights he was just there. He shouldn't need to score to be motivated in a game, it's clear by the article that he was not a team guy and brought a bit of lazy game and attitude to the room.

dondo
12-07-2014, 01:43 AM
I fixed the link scrunt it had an extra http tacked on the end -- click away folks

Giantsfan
12-07-2014, 02:19 AM
I never said he was a team guy. What Russian is? Russian players are always in the game if they score early on. He was terrible defensively as most Euros are & no doubt floated at times but he had major league talent & when Hay would mention that Jiri Fischer was in the building he would light it up. He had amazing skill & was far from a bust. In 2010-11 he played 12 games & registered 11 points. In 2011-12 he played 60 games & had 74 points, those are NOT stats a bust player puts up. He also added 6 pts in 6 playoff games. Another stat proving he was NOT a bust. In 2012-13 he was injured for most of the season but he did register 22 pts in 18 games. With Kelowna in 2013-14 he played 29 games & got 27 pts.

So tell me again why he was a bust?

Swando
12-07-2014, 04:27 AM
We had a keeper in Tvardon.. He came to us at a young age. I talked to him a few times prior to his injury as we were friends on FB. When we would meet in person on the concourse we talked for a while. He knew his situation was bad due to a "very" bad shoulder injury. He also knew he came to the Giants to make it to the NHL...his dream.. Our situation with Hay / Euros etc and what was seen as a rebuild would put any player into "LET ME OUT" Hay did not treat him well..was the thought IMO..he was offense style and Hay wanted him to learn defense

johnnyradiant
12-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Hay wasn't the only one that wanted him to learn defense. He was prone to use his stick to take a bad penalty and he was known to watch the puck go by if it meant skating back into his zone and take a defensive roll especially in the boards. He had a couple really good games for us - when Detroit brass was in the building. The rest of his games were never about showing all he had for more than a flash. He may have not been Hay's favorite but he did play him because of his offensive skill. Unless you could have gotten a firm guaranteed commitment out of him to play the role of a WHL player down the stretch and through the playoffs then it was a fatal mistake. The Rockets didn't need a player that had his eye on the future having already been picked by Detroit. They needed a player that didn't already feel he had his spot all laid out and waiting for him at the next level.