PDA

View Full Version : Pats vs SC home & home

patsdude114
12-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Well finally this xmas break is over with after tonight and we can get back to exciting Regina Pats hockey. Lots of questions still to be answered with this team with the trade deadline just around the corner, the roster freeze ends tomorrow at some time will be interesting league wide if any trades were made during the xmas break.

We have struggled with SC all year long as we are 1-3 against them with very little offense to show for it as well. If SC can't beat us both games they will move into a tie with us for 2nd in the division I personally think once SC passes us we won't get it back again as I feel that SC is going to be a buyer here as they have a very strong cast of 20 & 19 year olds to not go for it.

I think these 2 names will play a major factor in how we approach trade deadline.

Bighat
12-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Sweep and were buyers. Can't wait to watch max play against canada today.

RWAH
12-27-2014, 02:04 PM
IMO we are sellers and the games leading to the deadline will not change that. The team does not have the draft picks to be buyers. The long range plan has not changed. We need one or two 18s and some draft pick recouped. If we buy now we will hurt the next two seasons.

witness
12-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't think that we will be full out buyers. I think we might shuffle the deck a little. Might move a key piece to get younger, but I can't see the Pats blowing out their 19 year olds.

Bighat
12-27-2014, 05:56 PM
I would trade gay he plays too soft, Wagner could move up and we could call up a young guy. Don't have to trade picks to improve. Move Williams for a young dman.

If we're selling I would trade klimchuck, gay, Williams, Reagan and Burroughs. May as well do it right and then we will have a shot against brandon the next 2 years. Red deer would take gay and/or Williams.

patsdude114
12-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Another 2 goal lead that slipped away elite/top 4 type teams do not let 2 goal leads slip away in 4 or 5 games in a row like we have (I lost count how many games it's at now). Just as Paddock said a long while ago 'we are not a top 4 type team'

I think these string of games now where we have blown a lot of 2 goal leads (yes some of them we have still won) puts things back into perspective for the GM to do the right thing.

I thought Brown played a really good game as did Steel Brooks Reagan to name a few. I'm sure swifty is chomping at the bit to move into a tie with us tomorrow night for 2nd in the division. Let's face it swifty has owned is the past few years and it's no different this year either, these guys will be our 1st round matchup if we hold onto 3rd in the division.

RWAH
12-27-2014, 10:40 PM
In agree PD114 these last few games reinforce this team is not in the elite bracket, and should solidify the sell decision.
Big Hat Red Deer will not be buying any 19s or 20s, Sutter is trading for player for the 2016 season, when they host the M Cup, He is not loading up for a run this season.

Bighat
12-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Red deer hosts next year that's why he needs to upgrade his 20 (19) this year.

patsdude114
12-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Big Hat Red Deer will not be buying any 19s or 20s, Sutter is trading for player for the 2016 season, when they host the M Cup, He is not loading up for a run this season.

To be fair I do think Red Deer will be looking to add (1) 19yr old who will be back next season as a 20yr old. Red Deer may look to improve in he '95 age group for next season but I don't think that means they unload any 95's this season as im sure Sutter will want 4 or 5 20yr olds in camp next season for some healthy competition. Im not saying Sutter views any of our 95's as potential upgrades but then again maybe he does, I think if he had any interest in our 95's who will be back next season it would be in Hunt as he brings a lot more to the table then Gay or Williams or even Wapple.

I just don't see this team being a serious contender even for the 2nd round, yes we have played some good hockey at times this season but we have also looked very avg as well against teams that true top 4 type teams would walk on... IE Saskatoon & Lethbridge in recent weeks. We are good enough to make the playoffs without a Klimchuk and maybe even Burroughs but those are also the type of players that will bring back the needed assets to move forward into being in the same convos with the BRN KEL CGY year in and year out.

Either way looking forward to tomorrow night's home game

Bighat
12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Pats dude I have a question for you. Are we the (pats) a team, top 4 teams should beat on a regular basis? I ask because the top teams haven't beat us on a regular basis if at all. So I wonder what your point is about the top teams and who they are? If you don't consider us a top team, then the top teams shouldn't loose to us, but when we loose to lesser teams were not a top team. Hmmm that makes us a ?

EastDivFan
12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Im not saying Sutter views any of our 95's as potential upgrades but then again maybe he does

Look what he gave up to get Nogier. And then he brings in Bobyk from Spokane (a considerably better player IMO) a week later. If he makes Paddock any sort of similar deal, he'd be foolish not to jump at it.

patsdude114
12-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Pats dude I have a question for you. Are we the (pats) a team, top 4 teams should beat on a regular basis? I ask because the top teams haven't beat us on a regular basis if at all. So I wonder what your point is about the top teams and who they are? If you don't consider us a top team, then the top teams shouldn't loose to us, but when we loose to lesser teams were not a top team. Hmmm that makes us a ?

It doesn't take a very smart person to see we are not a legit top 4 team but not are we a door mat either. We are a good team but by no means are we a legit contender. Yes we have played well against the top teams this year, maybe playing a better opponent brings out our best compete level but we struggle to bring that compete game in and game out against other teams. We have lost to red deer calgary swift current kootaney this year we have beat edm BRN mh it just goes to show that we are a team that can play with the good teams but can also let things slip away just as fast.

I know your used to the old way of the Parker's being buyers every year and never having a team that can seriously contend for the league. Times change and this is a great time to sell, look at BRN when they sold Schenn they were 4th or 5th in the conference when they did basically where we are and look at their roster now from that deal.......

patsdude114
12-28-2014, 11:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vyGzDwPpxY

Schiender should stick to stopping pucks instead of stopping fists, but kudos for him for adding some extra excitement as part of alittle line brawl in MH tonight

Shooter
12-29-2014, 11:08 AM
As I see it the backend will have no changes for pats unless ridiculous deal offered. I project 1 Dman added but depth chart will remain similiar.
Upfront I see someone moved but carrot deal breaker. I think we have to be careful as the wrong player in could be cancer as this team seems united.

The 1997 I see teams interested in Wagner and Cole as package.

Reagan from outwest may be happy with a trade!

The 1996- anyone moveable and Brooks has the biggest value right now!
Harrison- we need per depth chart.

The 1995- really don't think much movement unless plan changes and paddock can be guaranteed improvement.

20s- TBA pending GMS that think they are contenders.

Chemistry is part of success so see what deadline ticker outcome is soon.

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Wagner Cole Brooks WTH???

Not trying to be a douche here with this but....I see the Parker's have rubbed off on you over the last 20yrs of short term goals and never looking at the bigger picture and actually want to build a team to be proud of

Wagner Cole Brooks will NOT be moved, they are a group to build around with Steel as the center piece. I will go out on a limb and say every 95 is up for trade for the right price, I don't see us moving anymore then (2) 95's though but hey never know even if it means getting a 96 for a 95

Fight Guy
12-29-2014, 02:12 PM
LOL! Stick to which plan, Shooter?? Bighat's plan?? None of those players should be moved. The only one i cohld see is Reagan because of his performance this season, which now means jack as he has played two really strong games in a row and looks like the Reagan we saw coming out at the end of last season. 19's need to be trimmed for the future.

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Reagan has actually played very well these last few games even before the xmas break... maybe he is finally having confidence in his own game and seeing that the coaching staff is showing confidence in his game as well.

If Reagan can finally turn that corner and be the defenseman that we had hoped he would be when we drafted him it would be huge for our backend moving forward.

Bighat
12-29-2014, 02:37 PM
My plan is not trading youth off the roster for this year. It sure wouldn't be Wagner. I said to challenge we need 1 forward and 1 big dman and to do that we have prospects we can trade plus a select 19 year old. I have no problem with standing pat (lol) or trading away for picks and prospects, but we will not be a contender next either just remember that. Next year at this time we will be discussing should we trade hunt, gay, wappel. In 2 years we should contend with your guys game plan. If I was the gm I would make my moves this year and recoup next because the league is not that strong this year. Quote me on this "what ever paddock does I will be on his side and will be in my seat to watch, cheer, and ***** for years to come".

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 03:03 PM
all good bighat but also lets keep this in mind too that players get better returns when they are 19 compared to when they are 20... even top 20s don't fetch that great of a return due to the lack of teams truly interested as 19yr olds there is greater interest which raises prices.

GMs tend to look at 20yr olds now a days as players who are not good enough to make the pro job that alone drops their value. Luckily for us Hunt is going back into the draft this year and is finally getting some serious looks, once he is selected he wont have to be signed for 2yrs. Hunt will prob be a lot like Myles Bell as he didn't get selected til he was 19 as well.

I do think that Sutter in RD will make a pitch to get Hunt, his 20yr old situation isn't that strong for next season and Hunt would be an upgrade. Im not saying Paddock even views Hunt as being on the market but he would be foolish to not listen and at least see what Sutter would offer.

I truly cant wait til after Jan 10th so we can all stop talking about this trading stuff lmao we all have opinions on what we would like to happen and neither 1 is right or wrong the only opinion that truly matters is what Paddock thinks/does

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 03:05 PM
On Phil's blog....

The Pats have recalled Nathan Mortlack from Melville (SJHL)

Im guessing that means Harrison is out for abit with an injury.

Here is an interesting note with the Pats defense.... all 6 Dmen now with Mortlack back are all right handed shots.... the WHL site has Zborovskiy as a left handed shot but he is a right shot. Hilsendager and Harrison were our only left shots and they are both hurt now.

witness
12-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't know how Harrison skated off after that hit.

I don't want to give up on Reagan quite yet. Here is a guy that through his bantam and midget career was so much bigger than most other players. So he was able to win battles with just his size. Now players are the same size as he is and he has to learn to win battles with body position and by out working the other guy.

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
any word if there is a suspension going to Rigbby for that hit on Harrison? the refs missed it but did the video miss it? (im pretty sure it was rigby that hit him very high)

Im not 1 to give up on Reagan yet either, I have never once said trade Reagan (not implying you think that I did though) he is only 17 and has a lot of upside still. I wouldn't be upset though if they moved him for another 17yr old Dman who shot left though.

Shooter
12-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Ok yes right no one knows the plan yet. If Harrison is banged up I can guarantee a trade for a Dman as Mortlack is not able to skate well enough. With Hillsinger out we must get 1-2 Dman unless Harrison injury is shorterm. Teams are built from backend and if we think we can get buy we are kidding ourselves.

Who are our other Dman prospects that can play minutes?

Let's get a deal for Hobbs or Clague.

1 question is our team any better in 1-2 years from now......that will be the question?
Buyers or sellers and season greetings!

D cherry
12-29-2014, 06:00 PM
any word on how long Hilsendager will be out for . how about trades. you build or just run with what we have . do you think Clauge would be the answer !!

booboo
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Fat chance you'll get Clague unless you are prepared to really pay.:groovy:

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Fat chance you'll get Clague unless you are prepared to really pay.:groovy:

There is no way BRN will part with Clague not even if both Klimchuk and Burroughs are on the table. Clague was the best Dman in the entire draft, you pay big time for those and even then it isn't enough.

Bighat
12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Brandon does have a lot of prospects and no room for them, but I doubt clague is on the block.

chopper
12-29-2014, 07:50 PM
McCrimmon wouldn't trade Clague for anything the Pats have. He's likely more valuable than Patrick. Keeping his picks is what has allowed him to rebuild quickly. That's something the Pats could never get to since they were always buyers, and traded away their draft picks. It's extremely sad that the utterly stupid building plan the Pats used under the Parkers, is still embraced by some fans. In order for long term success you need to establish a plan and stick to it. It can't be impeded by some low or highs.

Right now the Pats don't have the depth to go very deep in the playoffs. The defence is inexperienced, rather small and somewhat injury prone. In addition to d-men they would also need at least a couple impact forwards but have nothing to trade. Outside of Wapple little depth in net. They won't trade draft picks any further. One shouldn't read too much into being a top four team in a weak division and conference. Trading our B- players for another teams B- players gets you the square root of nothing. Because of that I doubt that Paddock's going to stand pat. You either need to be buyers or sellers. He won't pay the price to be a buyer. Rearranging the deck is a losers blueprint. Right now smart money goes with him moving 2 or 3 19 year olds.

The difference between the 1st SC game and the 2nd game was that we showed some "truculence" as Brian Burke puts it. You can't allow that BS stuff SC tries to pull off. I don't care about suspensions. We should have enough guys to loosen chicletts if that's how they want to play it. Among the various things we need, Paddock had better understand he needs to acquire some toughness. Long overdue. It's time to look after ourselves cause you know the League sure won't.

D cherry
12-29-2014, 09:08 PM
now that we realized that Clague is not answer . who would be your next pick for the Pats . maybe SC as a player to trade: how about Dillion Dube from the Rockets

Shooter
12-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Chopper great points made. You take control of team until Jan 10. Then back to Paddock.

chopper
12-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Chopper great points made. You take control of team until Jan 10. Then back to Paddock.

I've offered and they're taking it under advisement.:)

Listening to Andrews on the Sports Cage tonight he was queried by Scruffy about the action on the wires(trades). Andrews said that Paddock had told him things were hot and heating up more daily.

Having a couple d-men down makes the position of buyer less attractive, if in fact it ever was. While I believe we will move older assets, I have no idea what the configuration of the trades will look like. Sometimes one move morphs into several.

From this point the trade deadline comes and goes quickly.

D cherry
12-29-2014, 09:56 PM
as most think the Rocket are the class of the WHL . Look at what Sutter has done to the Red Deer Rebels .slowly picked player from other teams and now there are on a role . They mite be the team to beat now . I think the Pats mite have mist out on some good up and coming players .guess only time will tell.

Shooter
12-29-2014, 10:04 PM
A lot is key....but can only dress certain number. The stock is only good for so long! We need to send Kelly bottle of wine for new year....and get him to trade some guys as it seems they way he screwed other teams. He always get ace if sober!

Maybe John and Kelly can do up a deal!

Bighat
12-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I would look for a trade to the American division, they have some big players and we could use some size. I have a feeling a deal will be done before the weekend.

patsdude114
12-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I seen the comment about Dube and yes he would be very appealing to a lot of teams of they are selling their top guy to the Rockets but in very sure the Raiders tried to get him with Morrissey but Bruce Hamilton doesn't trade away 1st round picks or former 1st rounds at age 16 or 17 very often. That's why the rockets are a top team in the league year in and year out.

It's a waiting game right now for the first big swinger after xmas GM's I would suspect are just getting a feeling who is interested in their players and trying to see what is in the table coming to them from all involved. I'm sure Struch McMullin and Lang are working closely with Paddock right now in getting value on the table for their players if in fact they are on the market for sale.

I still feel strongly that the Ice and Pats will be having a dance together with a trade. They have the local talent and they will be buyers as they are still winning without Reinhart, if they add a piece or 2 they should secure 2nd in the central division. They will be in the market for another 20yr old as well as Verrtel just doesn't cut it when it comes to 20yr old in this league.

nivek_wahs
12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Carter Rigby has been suspended for his hit on Harrison - TBD under supplemental discipline at Regina on December 28.

chopper
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Bruce hamilton rarely gives up 1st round picks. In fact I don't recall the last time he did. He builds through the draft and rarely makes trades of any consequence. He added Tvordon last season and called it a mistake. The Morrisey deal is his big play this year.

Calgary could be a partner and I think they want to contend. They traded Chase for Kanzig as opposed to going for young guys. Since Kanzig and Klimchuk are Calgary Flames property, it would be a fit. Draude and Melenstyn are names I like.

Kootenay have the like of Murray, Legien, and Zborosky which are all local and quite intriguing. Kootenay is really looking for a front line d-man which could mean the Pats might be talking to them.

There are teams out West that want to contend with Kelowna but are a distance behind. I think they would need to pick up two or three pieces to really contend. Regina has those pieces but will those teams pay the price. I think they might. A deal may be very soon!

patsdude114
12-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Carter Rigby has been suspended for his hit on Harrison - TBD under supplemental discipline at Regina on December 28.

Be lucky if he gets 2 games for the hit but on the flip side at least their next couple games are against some very good opponent's where the Broncos could really use Ribgy

chopper
12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Be lucky if he gets 2 games for the hit but on the flip side at least their next couple games are against some very good opponent's where the Broncos could really use Ribgy

I agree maybe 2 or 3 games, and that whole process leaves me in the cold. We could lose a player for 5-10 games and the violator gets maybe 3 games. Hardly a case of the punishment fitting the crime. Yet Wagner gets two games for an iffy head hit, where the guy doesn't miss a shift? Yup the WHL sure gets it right.

Just read where leon Draisatl's Jr rights may have been traded to Kelowna. Didn't see that coming. Highly unlikely Hamilton would give a 1st round pick for Leon. PA and Kelowna seem to be trading partners like Brandon/Lethbridge were.

RWAH
12-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Picked this out of the Calgary Sunday Sun

ON A ROLL

(Top records since Nov. 1)

Team GP W L OL Win%

Kootenay 21 17 4 0 .810

Regina 19 14 4 1 .763

Kelowna 23 16 5 2 .739

Brandon 20 13 4 3 .725

Portland 21 14 6 1 .690

Medicine Hat 22 14 7 1 .659

Red Deer 22 13 6 3 .659

Chopper: The owner of the Rockets says the Draisal (sp) talk is all talk and no action. It could have started because the Oilers picked up a player off waivers from Boston so need to move a player to make room.

Thatshockey1965
12-30-2014, 02:13 PM
IMO I think Burroughs is the real commodity. He plays 30 min a night QBs the power play. Most likely place if they do anything I think is kootney or Calgary. Draude and perhaps even Thomas are candidates. Who knows PG has allot of good young D men with size.

In the US division my guess is Portland would love to get there hands on Burroughs.

On the other hand he may come back next year. I think Klimchuk is AHL bound no matter what so the value is somewhat reduced there.

Prehaps even Hunt may want to go to a contender. RD is making a push but unsure what they have to give up from the cupboards.
Perhaps Strand or a palenchuk(poor season so far).

Reading Choppers comments I like most as they make sense, however the talk of trading Williams(not sure who made that one) makes none and the talk of getting claque!!!! Get serious!!! Never happen.

My opinion. Go young. Get 17-18 year olds and really go for it next year and year after.

chopper
12-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Picked this out of the Calgary Sunday Sun

ON A ROLL

(Top records since Nov. 1)

Team GP W L OL Win%

Kootenay 21 17 4 0 .810

Regina 19 14 4 1 .763

Kelowna 23 16 5 2 .739

Brandon 20 13 4 3 .725

Portland 21 14 6 1 .690

Medicine Hat 22 14 7 1 .659

Red Deer 22 13 6 3 .659

Chopper: The owner of the Rockets says the Draisal (sp) talk is all talk and no action. It could have started because the Oilers picked up a player off waivers from Boston so need to move a player to make room.

Yup, you could be right on that. It was only a report coming out of the WJC. It seems to be a bit of a parallel to the Pulliot situation with Portland last year. It wouldn't surprise me if it materialized.

patsdude114
12-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Yup, you could be right on that. It was only a report coming out of the WJC. It seems to be a bit of a parallel to the Pulliot situation with Portland last year. It wouldn't surprise me if it materialized.

I get what your talking about Chopper but I think you mean Dumba :)

I think that's the exact type of deal we will see here, there was no 1st round picks involved at all best pick was (2) 2nd rd picks and there was a condition for a 2nd or 3rd pick in 2016 depending on the time frame it took for Dumba to report.

chopper
12-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I get what your talking about Chopper but I think you mean Dumba :)

I think that's the exact type of deal we will see here, there was no 1st round picks involved at all best pick was (2) 2nd rd picks and there was a condition for a 2nd or 3rd pick in 2016 depending on the time frame it took for Dumba to report.

Yup….Dumba

chopper
12-30-2014, 04:33 PM
The area I would like to see the Pats do something are with they older guys on their list. It doesn't appear Mumby will play with the Pats, so can't they move him for something we can use? Berg is rated by Central Scouting but he's not here? Is Zimmer on their radar?

All three were invitees to the Jr A challenge all-star team. Mumby made the team. Hobbs did too, so maybe Hobbs for Mumby+?. Hobbs gives us something we could really use. A lot of 17 yr olds were not rated by CS but are in the WHL. Why not Berg?

We've kept Mumby on our list a long time. I'm thinking it's time to fish or cut bait. When you combine prospects we have along with roster guys, we should be able to get a lot of what we're needing.

Fight Guy
12-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Rigby gets 2 games.