PDA

View Full Version : Giants 6 Blazers 3 - Dec 30th, 2014

dondo
12-31-2014, 01:37 AM
Good to get the win, but not exactly the kind of game to hang your hat on. Top line didn't get any points, but did have some great momentum shifting shifts.

Giants Stomp Blazers
Vancouver 6 Kamloops 3

A pretty ugly win. The number of unforced errors by the Giants in the game were far more plentiful than I like. They made mistakes while not being pressured to make them and if they played this way against a skilled team with more than just one really productive line, they would have been fishing the puck out of their net all night long. As it was they managed to score some nice goals and despite some really sloppy play, got the win almost in spite of themselves. Great depth contributions by Jesse Roach and Thomas Foster as well as Arvin Atwal with a three point night and a Gordie Howe Hat Trick. Blazers open the scoring early off of a quick shot in the slot, which Cody Porter never saw. The Giants bounced back and tied the game and then added one in the final minute of the period. The Gs worked their lead up to 5-1, before coughing up a few poor goals. They righted their ship and added another goal to take the 6-3 victory.

The Blazers opened the scoring just over 1 minute into the game. The Giants responded when Atwal came hard into the offensive zone, picking the puck up and driving it to the net. It looked as if he was about to make a move, but the puck slid off of his stick and between the wickets on Connor Ingram. Alec Baer and Mason Geertsen got the assists. Roach added some insurance at 19:44 of the opening frame. Vladimir Bobylev and Atwal had the helpers. The Giants game in the second was kinda ugly and very sloppy, but they found twine. The Giants were over-passing and sloppy with the puck and when Geertsen finally got the puck at the point I recall saying “shoot” and at the same moment Geertsen wristed a seeing eye shot past Ingram. Your welcome. Brennan Menell and Roach had the extra points. Dalton Sward finished off a give-and-go play pounding home a rebound off of Thomas Foster’s shot a bit later. Dakota Odgers got the other point on the play. Roach and Bobylev hooked up again for another goal past the mid-way mark of the period, bringing the home team’s total to 5. The Blazers got one back on the PP late in the period. The Giants weathered a late 5 on 3 due to some seriously bogus penalty calling. The Blazers added another mid-way through the third period. Thomas Foster got that one back ripping a loose puck in the slot past the Blazer netminder. He was assisted by Atwal and Josh Thrower on the play.

Team Notes: Kirichenko and Ronning still out with injuries. Brennan Menell back in the line-up, McKinstry scratched. Brumm also out.

Fight Night: Arvin Atwal vs Luke Harrison … Atwal had control of this bout. A wicked upper-cut popped off a lid, sending it flying. A late left-handed flurry of punches and the pull-down for the win.

Zebra Cage: *sigh* Sean Raphael and Chris Schlenker. I don’t know where they found Schlenker, but they can return him as far as I am concerned. He out and out sucked. He made some really knee-jerk calls coming off of very limited information, basically assumption and invention, while at the same time ignoring nasty crosschecks from behind into the red iron among others. Raphael wasn’t much better. Some really precious calls being made on one side of the puck and ignored on the other. Inconsistent, unpredictable and assinine. #WHLRefFail.

The Giants were out shot by the Blazers 35-33. It was a very close game shot-wise, but not so close goal-wise. Porter had to be really good at times, especially when the game was close. The Blazers went 1 for 6 on the PP, while the Giants were 0 for 5. Some very sloppy hockey, especially on the PP. Too much bad passing along the blue-line and not enough puck support or hunger with the man advantage. It’s good to get the win, but if they played this kind of game versus a skilled opponent they would not have had the victory. We can do better. Despite getting three points and a good chance at a hat trick, Roach seemed to be mostly invisible except when he was finding twine. I just see such good things from this kid, that I expect more even as a 17 yr old. We might just have a budding power-forward, but he needs to play a bit harder every shift, not just occasionally. I suspect more ice-time would help that. I liked his game tonight, but didn’t love it. By contrast I loved Foster’s game. Always had his nose in there, great at both ends of the ice and was a noticeable +3 tonight. Atwal also had a great game with an even better +/-.

A good way to end 2014. The Giants take on the Cougars at the Coliseum on Jan 2nd, 2015 . The Cougars are not quite the push-overs of the past few seasons and beat the Rockets tonight in Kelowna, a rare event this year. The Giants will need a better game than they showed tonight, while keeping a lot of the positives of tonight’s game. A bit more focus and better puck support would go a long way and the unforced errors have got to go. Puck on the 2nd drops at 7:30pm.

Happy New Year Everyone and all the best to you and yours in 2015.

Three Stars

1. Jesse Roach
2. Arvin Atwal
3. Thomas Foster

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Arvin Atwal… Three point night with a goal and two assists and a fight for the Gordie Howe hatty. Also a great crushing, clean, hit - which was called a charge by idiot zebras. He was in the game. He was also a +4. Honourable mention to Foster for me. I loved his 200’ game.

Swando
12-31-2014, 02:30 AM
Great review Dondo... also a healthy scratch was Stukel who probably was left out due to Ramsey as a 16 year old having to get into the required # of games.

I often get on your case about your complaining of the refs..but tonight I totally agree with you. After Atwal's skating backwards charging penalty and the slightest of touch cross checking penalty, Benson's retaliatory slash.. I commented that I have had enough of this crappy WHL officiating. You can't even hit anyone any more.

We noticed that the # 1 line was used sparingly in the 2nd and 3rd. Thots were that Hay had a heavy check on them, they were playing poorly in general and were tired, or Noel knows the schedule and realizes he needs to reward those 4th liners while resting the # 1 line for the week end series. I tend to side with 1 & 3 as I did notice Noel putting the # 1 line with different pairings so to keep away from Hay's checking

Needless to say I do not think we played a very good game and that shows me that Kamloops is not a very good team. Had we messed up and lost I think that would indicate a "selling mode" for Bonner. Now we are on the pace of everyone else...WHAT DO WE DO??

With Kelowna being so strong and the word is that Draisatal rights is or was part of the Morressey trade....that makes for the biggest COUP that the WHL owned KELOWNA ROCKETS have made. Another Hamilton hate moment and his POWER!!!
Why would any GM want to trade away any future only to get to the second round and in our case we most likely will face Kelowna in the 1st round.

Giantsfan
12-31-2014, 03:17 AM
It's no where near set in stone the Giants would/will play the Rockets in the first round. I believe if Noel can get this team back on track (meaning pp improvement & more scoring) the Giants can catch anyone in the Division ahead of them. They have games in hand & are within a few of 2nd place.
They are NOT selling & Scott Bonner has made it known they are looking for a defenseman & a winger. Deadline is looming, I believe Jan.10th so there is time to decide who stays & who goes.

Giantsfan
12-31-2014, 03:20 AM
As for the officiating they need to go back to ref school to find out that they relearn the rules. The hit by Atwal was perfectly clean & by no means a penalty.

Priceisright
12-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Were in 9th place.

2nd place? :confused:

Giantsfan
12-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Besides the Rockets, check the standings. I believe the Blazers are beginning to fall out of the race but everyone else is in a dog fight in the Division & Conference. There is a lot of hockey to be played so it's ridiculous to think they should be sellers. Blazers have played a lot of games & I just abbreviated the stats to show games played & pts.

Rank B.C. Division GP W L PTS
1 Kelowna Rockets 38 29 6 3 0 61
2 Victoria Royals 39 18 18 2 1 39
3 Prince George Cougars 38 19 19 0 38
4 Vancouver Giants 37 17 19 1 0 35
5 Kamloops Blazers 40 13 22 3 2 31

Rank U.S. Division GP W L PTS
1 Everett Silvertips 36 21 11 3 1 46
2 Spokane Chiefs 35 20 12 3 0 43
3 Portland Winterhawks 38 19 16 0 41
4 Seattle Thunderbirds 36 17 15 2 38
5 Tri-City Americans 35 18 16 0 37

Priceisright
12-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Agreed lots of hockey left but lots of teams to climb for a second place finish.

I'm sure they will try everything to get a play off spot.

Means more money for Toigo and company .

Giantsfan
12-31-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm talking only about the BC Division. Only 4 points back of Victoria with 2 games in hand would put the Giants tied with them. I'm not sure why people are writing this team off so soon.

Lucic
12-31-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm talking only about the BC Division. Only 4 points back of Victoria with 2 games in hand would put the Giants tied with them. I'm not sure why people are writing this team off so soon.

Other than that stretch prior to the Christmas break I don't think this team has looked even remotely close to a playoff team. Sadly the expectations of most fans have become pretty low over the past several seasons.

With the new coaching change I think the team should be able to make the playoffs. They are better than a few of the teams ahead of them currently in the standings. How good exactly I don't know. I'm still on the fence about that. I'm not entirely convinced that what we saw prior to the Christmas break wasn't a mirage.

If some team were willing to overpay for one of the Giants better players I think Bonner should sell. I don't expect that to happen but that's just my opinion on what I think he should do. Since that is unlikely and the Giants appear to want to add rather than subtract I just hope they don't overpay as regardless of who they acquire I don't foresee any potential acquisition being enough to put them into the contenders category. If they can move a few spare parts for better pieces that help the team right now I'm all for that. This will be an odd trade deadline in my opinion. It seems the asking prices aren't astronomically high this year and yet there aren't a ton of teams out of playoff contention.

Giantsfan
12-31-2014, 02:51 PM
I heard that Bonner wasn't going to trade any of the young players. I wouldn't be surprised if he stands pat & does nothing. Nobody would expect this team to content for a WHL Championship but at the same time this team is good enough to win a round against any of the other teams in the BC Division & probably the US Division.

When the team started that terrible slide that was also a mirage because this team wasn't near as bad as they were during the stretch just before Ward got canned.

Everyone knew that the winning streak would end at some point. They were the better team in Everett & who knows how that would have gone if Benson didn't get the penalty. Either way, they got a point in a very tough building to get a point in.

I see a vast improvement in many of the players & this is the most well balanced attack they have had in years. The best tandem in net since Sexsmith/Slade & the toughest team in years.

I know Bonner would love to add some size up front. Not much time left if he is to make a move but I don't expect any of the 20yr olds to move either.

With Ronning set to return that makes for too many forwards so I kind of expect maybe a forward & a dman move out for a player. Just a guess.

Lucic
12-31-2014, 03:02 PM
I heard that Bonner wasn't going to trade any of the young players.

Including Barberis?

When the team started that terrible slide that was also a mirage because this team wasn't near as bad as they were during the stretch just before Ward got canned.

I agree. They are what they are which is a middle of the pack type of team. They weren't as bad as their record indicated prior to Ward being fired but I'm not sure they are as good as their pre-Christmas streak. Probably somewhere in between. Unlike prior seasons I don't think the Western Conference is overly strong. Other than Kelowna there is no other team that I consider unbeatable. Not that I'm suggesting Kelowna is unbeatable because they aren't. But they are the closest team to that term in the west.

With Ronning set to return that makes for too many forwards so I kind of expect maybe a forward & a dman move out for a player. Just a guess.

That would make sense. They might want to hold off though. I expect Ronning will be on the IR again sooner rather than later. :p

Lucic
12-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I'd say Lee is the most likely to be moved. He has value & I believe the team sees Porter as a starter.

Does he? I certainly don't view it that way. I'd argue his value is pretty damn low especially considering how high expectations were for him coming into the league.

If he is moved I would be fine with that. It's clear he has been surpassed by Porter on the depth chart and with Kubic in the wings the writing is on the wall. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Priceisright
01-02-2015, 03:54 PM
When is the deadline ( I know I ask every year) lol

I think it's around January 6?9?

Lucic
01-02-2015, 04:46 PM
January 10th.

Swando
01-03-2015, 01:24 AM
I agree with Fighter Not a Lover: I felt Lee got the start tonight as Bonner was probably show casing him for a scout or 2... As Porter was goalie of the month you would think after another good start he'd have won the job.....Unfortunately he did not do that well and got pulled thus reducing his value. JMO

Kubic is sitting in the minors only a year younger than Porter.

I see Bonner standing pat.... unless he has his socks knocked off with a trade.. we can win with this team and any series against any team except Kelowna. If you add Olsen and Draisatal to their already potent lineup... wow. No way do the Giants get out of the Conference.

Regina (2nd in the conference) is in the same boat as the Giants ...What did they do? They traded Klimchuk- their best player

Brandon realizes they need to compete against Kelowna so they traded for Klimchuk a more veteran player but gave up an equally talented but younger by 2 years player to make the deal.

Lucic
01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Regina (2nd in the conference) is in the same boat as the Giants ...What did they do? They traded Klimchuk- their best player

Brandon realizes they need to compete against Kelowna so they traded for Klimchuk a more veteran player but gave up an equally talented but younger by 2 years player to make the deal.

I'm not a big fan of Klimchuk and honestly I don't think this was a great move for Brandon at all. Brandon has a ton of skill what they lack is grit especially up front. So what do they do? Trade their most gritty forward. I assume McCrimmon will be acquiring another gritty forward before the deadline to fill that void but until/if that happens I don't think this is the "steal" so many claim.

He does have value in this league but I think it may be more as a quality back-up than as a legit starter.

A back up, sure. When you said value previously I wasn't sure what you meant by that. It can be quite subjective. The Giants aren't going to get much for Lee that is the point I was eluding to earlier.

Lucic
01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Even though the trade deadline is the 10th it seems many teams acted as though it were yesterday. There have been a ton of trades so far. Some really questionable ones as well. It's crazy how Kelowna can get Morrissey and Draisaitl for very little and yet the Royals give up a 1st round pick for Alex Forsberg. It's mind boggling. Yes they also got a young prospect in the deal but regardless, that is a high price tag. :eek:

Giantsfan
01-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Why anyone would want A.Forsberg is beyond me. One of the most overrated players in the WHL. I would've gladly taken Jesse at any point when he was playing. Alex was a high pick with high expectations & he never panned out. Gmen have had a lot of those guys over the years. Reece & Ast immediately come to mind.

As much as I hate everything about Kelowna, especially Bruce Hamilton, it seems teams are just giving them players to they'll win the WHL & Mem Cup. It's a complete joke & there should be some investigations of Hamilton & his clout around the league. The guy is a huge douche bag & teams, including the Giants seem to bow & kiss his ass. The Myers-Schira & Benson-Lees incidents are two of the biggest issues I have that are completely jaded for the Rockets. Bruce Hamilton can FUK RIGHT OFF!!!!

Lucic
01-07-2015, 11:58 PM
I totally agree regarding Forsberg. Remember the Giants were interested in him not that long ago. They inquired about his availability when the Cougars were trying to move him. That's one trade I'm glad never came to fruition.

The Rockets did have to give up more for Draisaitl than Morrissey but they can afford to do that with a scouting staff consisting of someone like Lorne Frey. Year after year the Rockets always find quality picks regardless of where they are selecting. Giving up a 1st round pick is no big deal because they'll find someone just as good (or better) than most teams' 1st round pick in the 4th round.