PDA

View Full Version : Klimchuk

patsdude114
01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Not sure how many of our fans are aware of the rumours that really picked up traction late last night but at first reported by Dean Millard that Klimchuk was traded to MH or BRN last night. This morning it's looking more and more that he has been dealt to BRN and Jesse Gabrielle is coming out way...... Not sure if it's straight up or not yet but there is chatter out there that this is true.

As for right now it's just a rumour and here we can make some comments about it if in fact it is true. I personally thought BRN would of been more interested in Burroughs not Klimchuk as BRN defense is horrid and that's putting it lightly.

There was also reports that Connor Hobbs was traded to Regina during the WKs/Blades game yesterday. Not sure f that was suppose to be part of the potential trade of Klimchuk going to MH or not

patsdude114
01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Here is something interesting.... Maybe reading too far into it but was reading on luber's lounge (BRN radio guy blog) he has notes from his blog about the game yesterday against the blades and Gabrielle was a healthy scratch.....

patsrock83
01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
My sources tell me we will know when the pats hold a press conference at 1115 this morning lol

Trevor
01-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I've been reading about this as well, and I really hope it's not true. If it's a straight player for player swap then Paddock raped KM. In saying that, KM rarely loses trades so I doubt that is the case.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Gabrielle was out with an illness, not a healthy scratch. Don't think we are moving Klimchuk to Brandon anyways, since just like us, they arent 'really' going for it this year.

Though I expect them to add a bit. Most groups feel that if they stand pat, they get worse, since most everyone else is getting better.

My bet is Calgary or somewhere out west. We need a quality young roster defenceman coming back and a young guy who can potentially play with steel.

witness
01-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Interesting.....
I really like Gabrielle. Good move to the future. Brandon gets a top notch scorer and, more importantly, leadership. The one thing that has not impressed me about Brandon is the character of some of their high end talent. Klimchuk will help.

If the Hobbs thing happens it will help the banged up backend

patsdude114
01-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Brandon, MB. – With the Western Hockey League Trade Deadline eight days away, the Eastern Conference leading Brandon Wheat Kings have landed one of the league’s premier goal scorers.

Wheat Kings’ General Manager and Head Coach Kelly McCrimmon has announced the acquisition of 2-time 30-goal scorer Morgan Klimchuk from the Regina Pats in exchange for 17-year old left-winger Jesse Gabrielle.

A 6’ 185 lb left-winger from Calgary, Klimchuk was the Flames’ first round selection (28th overall) in the 2013 National Hockey League Draft after setting career highs in goals (36) and points (76) in 72 games during the 2012-13 season. Last season, he scored thirty goals and 74 points in 57 games.

In 27 games with Regina this season, the former first round bantam draft choice (5th overall in 2010) is averaging more than a point per game with fourteen goals and 30 points. Ten of those points, including five goals came in nine games last month and that was enough to earn him the Flames Prospect of the Month honour. He capped off the month by scoring the overtime winner in a 2-1 Regina victory over Moose Jaw on New Year’s Eve.

In 228 career games in the WHL, Klimchuk has scored 217 points, including 98 goals. In nine playoff games, he has three goals and six points.

“Klimchuk is an elite scorer who during his four years has developed into one of the top two-way players in the league,” says McCrimmon. “He will have an immediate impact on our team in many different situations.”

“The price for Klimchuk was a good young player,” he went on to say. “However, we felt the chance to acquire a player of his caliber made the deal affordable.”

A 4-year WHL veteran, the 19-year old forward joins the Wheat Kings having compiled an impressive resume. In addition to being chosen to play in the past two SUBWAY SUPER SERIES, including November’s game against Russia at Westman Place, Klimchuk has appeared in the Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects Game and has won two gold medals with Team Canada – as a member of the U18 World Hockey Championships as well as at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial in the Czech Republic.

A fifth round bantam draft choice of the Wheat Kings in 2012, Gabrielle is in his second WHL season and had thirteen goals and 25 points in 33 games this year.

“Jesse is a good young player,” says McCrimmon, “I think this trade will be good for the Wheat Kings and the Gabrielle family."

Klimchuk is expected to arrive in Brandon later today and is expected to make his Wheat King debut Saturday night at Westman Place when the Wheat Kings host the Calgary Hitmen.

This is the biggest trade completed between these two teams since Brandon obtained all star netminder Josh Harding from the Pats in exchange for goalkeeper Dustin Slade and a prospect in 2004.

Tickets to Saturday’s game – which will feature the annual Home Depot Family Skate Night – are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at keystonecentre.com

Winners of four straight games, the Wheat Kings enter the weekend with a record of 28-7-3-1 and lead the second place Medicine Hat Tigers by six points.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
well nevermind then

Bighat
01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
We didn't get enough. We may as while have sold the farm and went for it. If we would have received at least a 2nd round pick. I hear the deal is done with the hat for that dman. So long Burroughs. We still will make the playoffs but we make brandon tough now. I hate brandon I guess that's my problem with this trade.

patsdude114
01-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I for 1 am very happy with this return the Pats add a very quality player who brings toughness and skill to our lineup. He steps into the same line as Klimchuk was on with Steel

We didn't recoup any picks but that's ok when adding a player like Gabrielle into our lineup at age 17.... now the question is does Burroughs get traded next and where too?

EastDivFan
01-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I think it's a great trade for the Pats. You guys have been complaining since the start of the year that you needed someone to protect Steel and enable you to proceed with your rebuild. No one will facilitate that better than Gabrielle. Not only did you get the best combination of skill and grit in a '97 forward in the entire league, you also got confirmation from the Pats organization that they are committing to a proper rebuild. As a Blades fan whose organization went the other way (Henry for Ottenbreit), this deal makes me want to move to Regina...well to watch hockey at least.

Also, keep this in mind, this trade also weakens Brandon and makes Regina stronger from 2015-2018. The more I think about it the more I like it. The WK's days of pillaging other teams may finally be coming to a close.

sbtatter
01-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Great trade for Regina as far as the players involved are concerned.

chopper
01-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Fans from both Brandon and Regina have feelings both ways. I initially felt we should have got more, at least a 3rd or 4th round pick as well. However picks are just picks and Gabrielle is a proven 17 year old who has actually "done it". With Steel and Christopher (or Brooks) it will make a powerful line for up to three years. KM is as slippery as a greased pig and dealing with him scares me, however Paddock got a real deal player. Brandon got a proven star who will bring incredible leadership to a younger group. A winner!

It shows Brandon is committed to "going for it". I suspect KM will try to add a stud d-man (maybe Theodore) because they need one more big minute d-man. I would have thought Burroughs might have gone as well but maybe there is a deal in place somewhere else involving him. With Klimchuk and one more d-man I can see Brandon and Kelowna playing late in the season.

The Pats did OK but believe me so did the WK's. They got a guy they are soon going to love. Big time clutch player.

JrAScout
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Jesse Gabrielle was a great Wheat King and the Pats will really like what he brings to the table. Morgan is a prime player that will help the PK, the leadership department and gives Brandon another offensively gifted player.

I don't think this one player will hinder the progression of the Wheat Kings moving forward because of their ability to draft well and make deals, but the one area where this will sting is the toughness department. I have heard however that Jesse has been dealing with Mono, so not sure on the time frame for a return.

RWAH
01-02-2015, 02:53 PM
IMO
Got grit, got youth, missed draft picks, still a positive trade for both teams.

chopper
01-02-2015, 03:56 PM
The deal is done love it or otherwise. I read where a few people on some sites are taking the odd pot shot at Gabrielle, much like the Med Hat fans are doing to Hobbs. I'm pretty sure Paddock and his people did a lot of checking before this deal was ever done.

Bigger, tougher, younger with similar point totals. It appears to be exactly the type of player the Pats coveted. Now I hope they complete their moves before too long. It must be quite uncomfortable for some of the 19 year olds in that dressing room after this move.

I wonder if a deal for Hobbs has any traction. I read a Hobbs-Point type deal but at only 18 years old, Med Hat would have to cough at least two more prospects i'm certain. MJ can get as much or more for him next year as a 19 year old.

Kootenay wants a d-man so maybe Murray could be in play. Legien could be on the table but I'm not too sure about him. I get the sense the Pats would prefer a higher end d-man in that 97 year group. I think our injuries on D may be hampering that type of trade.

I'm pretty sure there will be one or two more moves. Hopefully sooner than later.

Fight Guy
01-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Only thing I dislike about today's trade is the lack of a pick. I figured there would at least be a conditional garbage pick in the slim chance that Klimchuk is returned to Junior next season. As it is though, I'm happy about it. We'll just have to wait and see about these supposed off ice issues, though I believe there's probably an extent of truth to it. All I can say about that is I'm sure Paddock and company will have none of it, especially the way the team plays every line, and fairly equally (aside from the fourth line). Pats probably barely miss a beat. Being the skilled guy he is, he should slide in pretty easily and have an impact. Some physicality will be a nice change too!

Gonna be interesting playing Brandon the rest of the season. Even though he was traded to a division rival, a majority of the Pats/WK's series is done. Only three more meetings this season until the playoffs, where clearly Brandon is going to make a run.

sbtatter
01-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Seems like the pats fans have nothing bad to say about klimchuk which speaks volumes about the player and the respect the fans have for him. Gabrielle will be awesome for the pats, another ferland type of player. He hasn't had a lick of PP time so his stats are understated. Even if there were off ice issues I wish they would have been resolved because I'm not looking forward to him playing against Bdn. Bdn possibly wins the trade this year, Regina the next two years. It's kind of karma being as though Bdn has profited from picking up holdout players cheaply, now they had to give a guy up cheaply, so now we know how leth fans felt. All I will say is good luck to Gabrielle in Regina, except against the wheaties haha!

chopper
01-02-2015, 05:58 PM
McCrimmon knows you need quality 19 year olds to win in the is league. He just got himself one of the elite 19 year olds in the WHL. I'm betting he's not done. Likely a d-man and maybe 20 year old. Zane Jones and Jack Rodewald are out there. He's going for it.

KM knows there are no guarantees in hockey and what next year could bring. He is good and deep this year, so go for it. Like Paddock said, he expects Brandon to meet Kelowna in the final. Two heavyweights loading up for the big battle.

The Pats will need to wait a year or two to reap full rewards. Each team got big value for where they are right now.

JrAScout
01-02-2015, 06:19 PM
McCrimmon knows you need quality 19 year olds to win in the is league. He just got himself one of the elite 19 year olds in the WHL. I'm betting he's not done. Likely a d-man and maybe 20 year old. Zane Jones and Jack Rodewald are out there. He's going for it.

KM knows there are no guarantees in hockey and what next year could bring. He is good and deep this year, so go for it. Like Paddock said, he expects Brandon to meet Kelowna in the final. Two heavyweights loading up for the big battle.

The Pats will need to wait a year or two to reap full rewards. Each team got big value for where they are right now.

Well said!

patsdude114
01-03-2015, 10:35 PM
congrats to Klimchuk for making a statement in his first game with the WKs... he kick started the come back with an assist on the goal and then scored the game winner

chopper
01-04-2015, 02:55 PM
congrats to Klimchuk for making a statement in his first game with the WKs... he kick started the come back with an assist on the goal and then scored the game winner

IMO the WK's fans will see this much more often. He tends to score big goals. Scores three and wins the game for us in S'Toon, scores in OT in MJ to win the game. Gets traded and in the first game he gets two points including the winning goal. Sheesh.

KM knew what he was doing. He got himself a gem!

Bighat
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Brandon wins, we needed a 2nd rounder as well to even the deal. The goal is to win a championship and brandon took 1 step closer.

sbtatter
01-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Brandon wins, we needed a 2nd rounder as well to even the deal. The goal is to win a championship and brandon took 1 step closer.

Bdn wins this year, but Regina wins the next 2 years

Bighat
01-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Yes but if brandon wins the mem cup then they win period and for that alone we needed a pick as well.

Fight Guy
01-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Could be a win/win trade in the end.

sbtatter
01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Yes but if brandon wins the mem cup then they win period and for that alone we needed a pick as well.

You are correct that if Bdn go on to win the cup this year, they win the trade, unless Gabrielle helps Regina win the cup! But the odds of Bdn winning the cup this year aren't great are they

Bighat
01-04-2015, 06:56 PM
You just never know all depends what other moves brandon makes.

sbtatter
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
You just never know all depends what other moves brandon makes.

I like your optimism!