PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Blazers 3 OT/SO - Jan 3, 2015

dondo
01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
What no recaps?

Listened to the last part of the game. Odd to go from 14 cheezy penalties to be called one game to nary a one in the next. By the sounds of it the Blazers got away with a bit. Again some good battle back to earn a point, but this is a team we should be able to dominate, if we are the contender that our brain trust seems to feel we are and sorry folks, but we really aren't. One more year of acquiring talent and dealing from strength and then we can make a real playoff run.

I wait with baited breath to hear FNL's road trip blow by blow (although it wasn't a very physical game by the sounds of it) and others takes on their WHL Live feed -- mine would not stop buffering, especially during the shoot-out and I hate shoot-outs. Think they are the devil incarnate, but if I have to watch one then for the love jeezuz gimme a clean feed neulion!

Lucic
01-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with the effort. Even though the totals say the Giants had 45 shots it really didn't seem like that at all, IMO. And I agree, the Giants need to get two points over an inferior opponent if they want to climb up the standings. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

After Friday night I must say I did enjoy the officiating in this game. There were a few blatant penalties that weren't called but as I always say I'd rather see that than a penalty fest. There were two hit from behinds that were rather obvious I'm still surprised weren't called. Anyway as I said before I'm not complaining. It was a nice change.

Lucic
01-05-2015, 01:03 PM
OTHER NOTABLES

On the negative side of the ledger, I wasn’t happy with Josh Thrower’s game, in spite of his game-tying goal. When he was acquired I expected a fighter and a real physical player. So far he hasn’t been in a scrap, and he seemingly only hits when he feels like it – which for my taste isn’t often enough.

I agree for the most part with your sentiment. Although in fairness to Thrower he did challenge Rehill in that game after Rehill had a big hit on Odgers. Rehill declined and that was that. Thrower certainly isn't aggressive enough for my liking and after watching him play now for a while I understand why he wasn't drafted last spring. He seems disinterested and unengaged most nights. That is really unfortunate. I actually thought Thrower was better against Kamloops than he was against Prince George. I thought he was awful that night. Soft passes, bad decisions at times can be a turnover machine.

Next game is against Kelowna on Wednesday and if he really wants to get involved he won't have to look very far to find Goulbourne. That is one guy that likely won't turn him down.

Swando
01-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Great Review FighterNotALover:)

Thanks

Giantsfan
01-05-2015, 08:54 PM
I for one don't want to see Josh Thrower go anywhere & I don't think there is even a 1 second thought of moving him. Bonner tried to acquire him last season & with Mason Geertsen almost guaranteed not to be returning, the Giants will need Thrower's aggressiveness & Atwal's as well if he returns as a 20 yr old.

Granted, Thrower isn't nearly as aggressive as Geertsen or as talented, he still could beome that type of player. Remember how Geertsen wasn't near as aggressive & didn't fight that much for the first season they had him.

There have been games where he has challenged guys to fight & so far has no takers. The Giants are the toughest team in the West & probably in the WHL. Odgers has done his job well & taken a lot of the load of Geertsen & I really don't think many are knocking at the door to take on Thrower or Geertsen.

I really don't understand why people are criticizing Thrower's play? Nobody expected him to be an 18 yr old superstar. Since being acquired by the Giants I haven't seen a game where they have been pushed around or backed out of a fight. Teams like Victoria & Portland like to take liberties on the Giants of the last few seasons but will think twice this season.

People should just enjoy the fact that this edition of the Giants are on the upswing. Are they going to win every game, no but they have a tough & fairly entertaining team, something they haven't had much of over the last 7 yrs.

dondo
01-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Great Review FighterNotALover:)

Thanks

Should I feel insulted swando? ;):p

I agree, nice recap. Painted a great picture. I also agree that seeing good effort has me in a bit more forgiving mood generally. I stll want to return to the days of the puck pyramid and players who skate their butts off to the bench on a line-change though. That, I have not seen for years.

Although I am a fan of letting them play, in some games that has translated to letting them cheat. Although players will cheat every game and I would love to lose the ticky-tack petty calls and the "Mary Kay" make-up calls for a poor call, there are calls which still have to be made. Anyway I prefer 0 to 14 petty penalties by officials who believing that "managing" a game is the way to go.

I suppose part of us expected a little bit of Dalton in Josh and that is not so. I too have issues with Josh and his frequent disappearing act. Sure he is still only 18, but his growth has not been the kind I was expecting or hoping for. Things like sloppy passing and screening his own netminder have happened far too frequently when I have watched him play. I'm not saying he won't be able to learn, but truly I believe we got him mainly because his name was Thrower.

Oh and not a problem FNL - if I don't see a recap started and I am on that night I'll start a thread and folks can add to it. Drving back late from the 'loops and Sunday football are very valid excuses. ;)

Lucic
01-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I really don't understand why people are criticizing Thrower's play? Nobody expected him to be an 18 yr old superstar. Since being acquired by the Giants I haven't seen a game where they have been pushed around or backed out of a fight. Teams like Victoria & Portland like to take liberties on the Giants of the last few seasons but will think twice this season.

He's worse than I remember him being in the past. Which isn't a good thing as players should get better with age. But I can live with that. If he is a bottom pairing defenseman that is fine. Morrison was the same and Thrower brings an element Morrison could not. And I agree with what you said up until recently. I thought on Friday night the Cougars took several liberties and nobody on the Giants did anything about it. That was very disappointing, IMO. Sure they came back and won which is good and obviously the ultimate goal. But there were several cheap incidents and not much of a response from anyone including Thrower. Unfortunately we won't see Prince George again this season.

Giantsfan
01-06-2015, 01:29 AM
The knee on Osipov was answered when Geertsen immediately went over there & the officials kept them separated. What else could they do? It was a close game & players have to find the time & place to retaliate but Geertsen was ready to go & of no surprise, nobody on PG made any attempt.

The other incident I recall was the hit on Odgers in Kamloops which we already discussed about Thrower going & challenging Rehill & again, no response.

Also, how many games did you watch Thrower when he played for Calgary or Tri-City? The guy has very low pims so don't expect him to be a guy who's gonna get 200 pims.

As for Thrower's play, has he made some bad passes up the middle or a poor decision on a play? Sure, who hasn't? He's learning a new system just like everyone else & I'd rather have him on the team any day than not. Don't expect Dalton's skill but don't question his effort or heart because he was so happy to come "home" & play for the Giants.

Giantsfan
01-06-2015, 01:44 AM
On a side note it's nice to see they are finally giving out the Jon Blum bobbleheads they've had for 2 years. I believe it is for the 1st 500 people at the Tri-City game later this month.

They also have a promotion where you can get 4 red tix for $44. I think they are really starving to get people to the games.

I was talking to a scout last game & he was saying that attendance is down at so many jr. rinks. No doubt & not a surprise with the way the game has gone it's turned off a lot of old time fans.

Lucic
01-06-2015, 12:40 PM
The knee on Osipov was answered when Geertsen immediately went over there & the officials kept them separated. What else could they do? It was a close game & players have to find the time & place to retaliate but Geertsen was ready to go & of no surprise, nobody on PG made any attempt.

I think you need to do a lot more than just skate over to the guy. And why does it have to be Geertsen all the time? How about the Ericcson cheap shot on Odgers after the Giants goal? Again just grabbing a PG player and standing around isn't enough of a response, IMO. Cougars tough guy Chance Braid was running around all night and nobody even confronted him. Early in the game Bethune gave Sward a healthy slash and a high cross check while he was on the ice. I saw Thrower try to confront him afterward which is better than no response but still not enough, IMO. And in a situation like that obviously Bethune isn't going to mess with Thrower. But someone else needs to step up. I wasn't at all impressed with their toughness in that game.

Also, how many games did you watch Thrower when he played for Calgary or Tri-City? The guy has very low pims so don't expect him to be a guy who's gonna get 200 pims.

Enough to form an opinion. More with Calgary than Tri-City but I don't recall him being as bad defensively. I'm not even focusing on his penalty minute totals mostly about his overall game. Maybe he was paired with better partners (or playing against lesser skilled opponents) it's hard to say. But he has been pretty unreliable with the puck since being acquired. And it seems much more noticeable now. I already said I'd rather have him on the team than Morrison. That is an easy call. But that doesn't mean I don't have a right to say I'm a little disappointing in his performance so far. Both his hockey ability and his lack of grit and toughness that hasn't been consistent, IMO.

Giantsfan
01-06-2015, 09:45 PM
He's going to surpass his career points number & sure he has a few giveaways etc. but overall I'd take him in a heartbeat over Morrrison. There's a good reason why he isn't on the Ams. Not hard to figure out.

Giantsfan
01-06-2015, 09:47 PM
As for the mugging on Odgers, why is the linesman holding Odgers down? If I recall I don't think they had anyone else on the ice & as for Braid wasn't gonna fight anyone. He's happy just to yap & that's it. Geertsen challenged Wardley at the start of the game & he didn't want any part of him.

Lucic
01-06-2015, 10:42 PM
He's going to surpass his career points number & sure he has a few giveaways etc. but overall I'd take him in a heartbeat over Morrrison. There's a good reason why he isn't on the Ams. Not hard to figure out.

I said I would take him over Morrison as well. Several times. But that doesn't mean I'm 100% happy with his play because I am not. But that could change in time. We'll have to wait and see. As you said offensively he is putting up better numbers than he has in the past. But it's his defensive play and lack of involvement physically that concerns me. I don't expect him to contribute much offensively. But I do expect him to be better defensively and engaged in the game whether that be hitting, fighting or preferably both. Maybe my expectations are too high? I don't know.

As for the mugging on Odgers, why is the linesman holding Odgers down? If I recall I don't think they had anyone else on the ice & as for Braid wasn't gonna fight anyone. He's happy just to yap & that's it.

I didn't see anyone try to challenge him either. The only team all season that I thought took liberties with the Giants were the Cougars. A few times earlier in the season when they were up in Prince George and the last game in particular. I thought with the recent additions there would be more of a response to that type of action and there wasn't, IMO. Either way it's a moot point now.

Geertsen challenged Wardley at the start of the game & he didn't want any part of him.

Wardley plays for Seattle so that is a different game entirely. But that doesn't surprise me. Wardley is mostly a yapper.

Giantsfan
01-07-2015, 01:52 AM
Yeah I know Wardley plays for the T-Birds but I was pointing out that there are times the Giants look to engage the opposition & it takes two to tangle.

I didn't think they got pushed around in the last game vs PG. PG won't fight so they can act tough but it's just that, an act.

I'm not worried about Thrower's defensive game or his lack of physicality. The Giants are plenty tough & most teams won't go looking for trouble & the Giants don't push the bar either. Too bad because a nice line brawl would be welcomed by many in attendance.

Lucic
01-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah I know Wardley plays for the T-Birds but I was pointing out that there are times the Giants look to engage the opposition & it takes two to tangle.

Yeah I'm not trying to dispute that. I was specifically talking about the Prince George game. That was the one exception in my opinion.

I didn't think they got pushed around in the last game vs PG. PG won't fight so they can act tough but it's just that, an act.

They are second in the league in majors. So they will scrap. And they play pretty physical. I wish the two teams played again a few more times this season. Oh well.