PDA

View Full Version : WHL live feed tonight?

Priceisright
01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
First time watching via WHL Live.

Is the first period feed really choppy?

thanks

Lucic
01-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately this is just the ****ty Portland feed. It's been like this all season long. Same with Moose Jaw. I don't know what the deal is but neither team is addessing the problem. And we are what more than halfway through the season? It's ridiculous. I'd complain if I were you. I have but maybe if more people do as well something will be done about it. Most of the webcasts play fine. These are the only two teams that have had problems all season long.

Priceisright
01-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Thanks! Thought it was maybe something at my end. I also found via someoene else that Portland feed is awful all the time. And they semt emails to them repeatedly to no avail..

Thanks.

Still watched most of it, but kinda on and off as the feed drov me crazy. :)

Lucic
01-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Seriously it's super annoying. I watched the start of the game but honestly I tuned out soon afterward. I can't stand it. I feel like I'm having a seizure after a while.

In years past the Portland webcast was fine. Not the best picture quality but it played back smoothly, like most webcast feeds. This season it's been like that from game 1. I don't understand what the problem is or why it can't be fixed. And like I said before Moose Jaw's webcast is the same exact way. And last year their feed was pretty good. I don't get it. :confused:

Giantsfan
01-11-2015, 12:55 AM
What drives me nuts is that they didn't show almost any replays & I think only 1 of the Giants goals did they show a replay.

They'd also show a replay of a roughing twice while the play was going on.

Seriously, there is a time & not a time to show replays & I don't think they've grabbed that concept.

The choppyness didn't bother me as I've watched worse stuff than that.

Lucic
01-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Oftentimes the Portland feed will show two or three replays of a goal (specifically a goal the Hawks score) and if there is any sort of action like a big hit or a scrap soon after the face off you miss it as all you see are the multiple replays shown on the big screen. Then again a fight off a face off is all but extinct with the stupid rules in the game now. But it's happened in the past. It took a good 30 seconds after the puck was dropped before they showed any of the action on the ice.

Giantsfan
01-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Only I think on Jones's goal did they show a replay. The rest of the time, they'd put up the Giants logo for whatever reason.
I don't know what replays were shown in the building but on the webcast is was a joke.

Priceisright
01-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Hahha that was annoying as well. We scored a goal. I think it was benson and I kinda missed it. They never showed a replay lol just some random logo/ad :eek:

Oh well glad it wasn't just my computer etc lol

Thanks guys.

Lucic
01-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Hahha that was annoying as well. We scored a goal. I think it was benson and I kinda missed it. They never showed a replay lol just some random logo/ad :eek:

Even if they showed a replay of the goal I wouldn't have seen it. The way that choppy video plays I just can't follow it at all. And the Giants have one more game to play in Portland. I might just skip that one altogether. I just hope they don't meet up in the playoffs. :brickwall:

Giantsfan
01-11-2015, 01:52 PM
I didn't find the feed choppy but just poor camera work. They go to show a replay of Hawks goal, & almost cut it too soon. Someone doesn't know what they are doing.

Lucic
01-11-2015, 08:18 PM
I didn't find the feed choppy but just poor camera work. They go to show a replay of Hawks goal, & almost cut it too soon. Someone doesn't know what they are doing.

I don't know how. The Portland video feed has been choppy all season long. Every fight video I post from their feed is awful.

dondo
01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
are you still posting those on hockeyfights.com? I haven't been there for a while. Feel free to post any Giants fights here, even if you are posting them elsewhere Lucic.

Sadly you and I are from a different era and the kind of hockey we like to watch is rapidly becoming extinct. Add in the fact that they are trying to delay the age where kids first take contact and the next generation won't even know what checking is, how to do it, how to take one or how to not put themselves into deliberately vunerable positions. I personally think the game is more dangerous now, with more potential for serious damage with players unwilling to protect themselves and are in fact actively putting themselves into harms way to "gain an edge". Idiocy. :(

I don't know how. The Portland video feed has been choppy all season long. Every fight video I post from their feed is awful.

Lucic
01-16-2015, 12:41 PM
are you still posting those on hockeyfights.com?

Yes I am. Maybe I'll share the good ones here as well if others are interested.

Sadly you and I are from a different era and the kind of hockey we like to watch is rapidly becoming extinct. Add in the fact that they are trying to delay the age where kids first take contact and the next generation won't even know what checking is, how to do it, how to take one or how to not put themselves into deliberately vunerable positions. I personally think the game is more dangerous now, with more potential for serious damage with players unwilling to protect themselves and are in fact actively putting themselves into harms way to "gain an edge". Idiocy. :(

Well said. You are preaching to the choir. In a few years I'm not even sure there will be fighting (at least at this level) without an automatic game misconduct attached to it. Which is really sad but inevitable, IMO. What annoys me is hearing people whether that be fans or media talking about how great the game is. What product are they watching? Have they forgotten what great hockey really is? Or are they just ignorant and drink the kool-aid the hockey world shoves down their throats? :confused:

Priceisright
01-20-2015, 08:24 PM
LOL at Kootenay broadcast. Really old building? It is soooo dark. Like they are playing a barn. :(

Oh well

Giantsfan
01-20-2015, 09:40 PM
It's probably the worst in the league. One camera angle, no replays. At least it's nice to listen to our own announcing & it's also nice that they got a goal! :clap::clap::clap:

Lucic
01-21-2015, 12:25 PM
LOL at Kootenay broadcast. Really old building? It is soooo dark. Like they are playing a barn. :(

Oh well

You keep watching the worst games on the webcast! Kootenay has always been awful. It takes a long time for the lights to work so the first part of the game is really dark. Eventually it brightens up a little but it still appears fairly dark for most of the broadcast. They only have one camera and hardly ever zoom in so it feels as though you are watching the game from the concourse. Plus they always have audio problems. Sometimes no audio at all. Watching those broadcasts no matter the teams involved always make me want to fall asleep. Last night wasn't an exception. It was on...but I wasn't really very attentive to say the least.

As for the rest of the road trip, Medicine Hat isn't a bad broadcast at all. Definitely improved video quality over the years and they show replays. Lethbridge is decent. Not great but certainly not the worst. They have multiple cameras and show replays as well. Red Deer is pretty good as well. Probably even better than Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. And their play by play guy is one of the best in the league. Calgary has the best video quality webcast in the league by far. Then the Giants are off to Everett...that is another webcast I would avoid. Video quality isn't bad but they mostly use one camera and if there is any action close to the benches or on the near side you miss it as once the crowd stands up the view is obstructed. Very annoying. They have a second camera on the penalty box side but it doesn't appear connected to the webcast.

Priceisright
01-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Much appreciated. :)

Lucic
01-21-2015, 10:50 PM
No problem. If you ever have any specific questions on certain broadcasts feel free to ask.

dondo
01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
What annoys me is hearing people whether that be fans or media talking about how great the game is. What product are they watching? Have they forgotten what great hockey really is? Or are they just ignorant and drink the kool-aid the hockey world shoves down their throats? :confused:

The only thing I can point to for improvement of the product on the ice is the speed of the game (mostly when two great teams play, as we saw in the World Juniors). I would definitely say the game overall is faster and the players themselves are either better skaters or work harder at that part of the game. It has become a very valuable commodity and being able to make plays at speed is becoming more imperative. That said, I think most of the fans (esp the Canucks fans who spend 200 bucks on seats only to surf the net on their phones for the majority of the game - why are you even sitting there?) don't really know what good hockey is any more, if they ever did. They've never really experienced the energy a building gets from a glass rattling bone crushing hit or a fight coming out of real passion. I find the NHL to be mostly a bit of theatre which has lost all of its passion, but that's what Bettman wants. Soft product to sell to clueless masses too stupid to question the quality of the product.

I really have found all of the political hand-wringing over injuries and dangerous plays to be a smoke-screen for what has become "game management" from the side of the officials and predictable boring product for the members of the BOG.

It is so sad how far our game has fallen and how little passion remains, esp in the regular season. Sadly that seems to be creeping far too far into the Junior game and leagues like the OHL, that have already virtually banned fighting and the over-punishment and automatic game suspensions for an interpretive Major penalties issued by refs without a proper review of the infraction in question, are steepening an already slippery slope. The amount of knee-jerk over-reaction in our game has me questioning whether we will have watchable hockey in five or fewer years. It really makes me sad, because all I am seeing is that the more rules they add and the more reactive they become the less players are actually being allowed to play and more they put themselves into vulnerable positions, creating more opportunities for more injuries - talk about a vicious cycle.

Lucic
01-24-2015, 03:38 PM
The only thing I can point to for improvement of the product on the ice is the speed of the game (mostly when two great teams play, as we saw in the World Juniors). I would definitely say the game overall is faster and the players themselves are either better skaters or work harder at that part of the game.

The game is certainly faster. But I don't really understand how that translates to a better product. The two aren't connected whatsoever in my mind. I'd much rather see a slower game with more physicality than a faster game with less. Just my two cents.

dondo
01-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Speed, especially speed with skill creates more exciting moments in games. better scoring chances and a lively transitional game.

That said: you continue to preach to the choir Lucic. I much prefer a grittier, hungrier game with players who take responsibility for their actions. Sadly the hey-days of that hockey is gone and the hand-wringers are intent on removing all emotion from the game entirely, while creating rules to protect idiots from their own actions. :(

Lucic
01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Speed, especially speed with skill creates more exciting moments in games. better scoring chances and a lively transitional game.

Maybe in theory. But I think that rarely translates in most games. I mean you can watch any classic game from the 70's and 80's and the speed of the game compared to today is laughable. It's night and day. Yet the product (back then) is far more entertaining. Why is that? I mean if speed is so important how is that possible? Of course there are a lot of reasons a person can name. The real question would be where to start? Over coaching, rule changes, money, etc. The list goes on and on.

All I know is if I grew up watching the NHL as it is today I wouldn't be a hockey fan. I am certain of that. It's getting harder and harder for me to watch the game as it is now. Some might argue that suggests I was never a fan to begin with. I would disagree with that wholeheartedly. Nonetheless the way things are going I probably won't be watching for much longer. It just isn't the same sport in my eyes. I don't understand how so many people can blindly accept all the changes and act as if everything is peachy. It's mind boggling to me.