PDA

View Full Version : Second half

Harvest
01-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Not much is being said on this forum as of late. I really like the trades the Broncos made I think Thompson for martin will be a decent trade. The effort level has been getting better as of late. Merkley has been non existent since he had mono. Scared to take a hit or make a play. I think our top six has the potential to be as good as anyone. It'll be up to our bottom six and bow to see how far we go come playoff time. Let's hear what everyone else has to say.

2,5,andagame
01-12-2015, 01:23 PM
2nd half has been terrible, Thompson looked brutal last night. This team is going no where fast and it looks even scarier for next season when you look at what will be left.

brandonboy
01-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Any word on Nikkel?

2,5,andagame
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Any word on Nikkel?

Injury or play?

Not sure about the injury, radio guys said looked like a hyper extended elbow, hopefully he isn't out too long.

Play has been OK, he hasn't snapped too many times lol

Harvest
01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't agree with you on Thomson. I thought he's looked decent defensively and way better offensively then Martin ever did. He also has barely practiced with the team. Give him a chance

brandonboy
01-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Injury or play?

Not sure about the injury, radio guys said looked like a hyper extended elbow, hopefully he isn't out too long.

Play has been OK, he hasn't snapped too many times lol

Injury? Had a friend send me the video of the fight from another site and it looked like the linesman nearly broke his arm pulling him down in the fight.

dodywood4ever
01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
The Lamb era is pretty pathetic. Not sure what the higher ups in Swift are thinking. Maybe squeak into the playoffs and be eliminated first round is good enough apparently? Wake up!

brandonboy
01-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Not much is being said on this forum as of late. I really like the trades the Broncos made I think Thompson for martin will be a decent trade. The effort level has been getting better as of late. Merkley has been non existent since he had mono. Scared to take a hit or make a play. I think our top six has the potential to be as good as anyone. It'll be up to our bottom six and bow to see how far we go come playoff time. Let's hear what everyone else has to say.
I think with a little more commitment to defense and Swift could be a force. All the pieces are there and Bow in my opinion is an incredible goalie.

Toswammi
01-12-2015, 06:13 PM
They need to step it up in the second half, this is a team that has not played with a lead since December 27, and hasn't scored first since prior to Christmas.

The reality is this is a very top heavy team. The top six forwards are good, they just have trouble creating offence for themselves. Now the bottom six... I like Leth more lately, and Steenbergen is vastly underutilized. However when our third line is out there (McKay, Lessan, however) I am happy if the can have some offensive zone time. That is a weak third line. We need to start winning more shifts with the bottom six to have success.

The D is top heavy, Thomson isn't great but I can see how he fills the void. However Nikkel tends to underwhelm, I like Foulk more... I like Scissons the most for a bottom six pairing, but that's a different story.

We have a tender, and our top ten players are good. If they get all hands on deck with more help throughout the lineup I still think the original goal of home ice is there. However if they don't, when do you start looking behind you?

I say we live for the moment, because next year... Its not

ointhecreek
01-13-2015, 09:51 AM
The Lamb era has always been the same, Start the year close to the top and start the slide after the new year and end up low in the standings. :confused: :mad:

Raider Believer
02-25-2015, 05:37 PM
They need to step it up in the second half, this is a team that has not played with a lead since December 27, and hasn't scored first since prior to Christmas.

The reality is this is a very top heavy team. The top six forwards are good, they just have trouble creating offence for themselves. Now the bottom six... I like Leth more lately, and Steenbergen is vastly underutilized. However when our third line is out there (McKay, Lessan, however) I am happy if the can have some offensive zone time. That is a weak third line. We need to start winning more shifts with the bottom six to have success.

The D is top heavy, Thomson isn't great but I can see how he fills the void. However Nikkel tends to underwhelm, I like Foulk more... I like Scissons the most for a bottom six pairing, but that's a different story.

We have a tender, and our top ten players are good. If they get all hands on deck with more help throughout the lineup I still think the original goal of home ice is there. However if they don't, when do you start looking behind you?

I say we live for the moment, because next year... Its not

You gotta love Nikkel over the past couple of weeks. Nothing but on the plus side of the column and even chipped in a goal last game. Plus the obvious threat of his killing someone with or without provocation is always a distraction and concern for the opposition ala Dave (Charlie) Manson and Jason Arnott before that idiot moron Ted Green ruined the latter.
Mark Lamb isn't putting out Nikkel to start games for recreational purposes. The kid sets the tone and gives the Broncos a lift. It might also be noted that should Mark Lamb became available he would be on a very short list to succeed Bruno Campese in PA at the end of this season.

Quarter Century Fan
03-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I sure hope the Broncos can find a way to get playing as a team again soon because they will have a quick exit in the playoffs the way they are currently playing. It's a shame because of how many veteran players we have that don't play as veterans should. Our coach seems to not be able to get a team to play consistently well for him and that happens each year. :confused:confused::confused:

CanesCrazy
03-05-2015, 12:01 AM
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on with Warkentine. The stats say he has only played 10 games since being traded. Is this for real? Is he injured? Is he a healthy scratch virtually every game? If that is the case I am surprised he is still in Swift and not playing for the AJHL or SJHL. Does anyone have any insight? We actually saw some potential when he was in Lethbridge.

dodywood4ever
03-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Sad truth is our coach is clueless and has this team heading straight into the crapper. First round sweep if we even make the postseason. Then the higher ups will reward him again and again for being awful. It really is pathetic.

wacko
03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
You forget that you guys will most likely be playing the Regina Pats in the playoffs. If there's one team you match up well with, it's Regina (unfortunately for me as a Pats fan).

2,5,andagame
03-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on with Warkentine. The stats say he has only played 10 games since being traded. Is this for real? Is he injured? Is he a healthy scratch virtually every game? If that is the case I am surprised he is still in Swift and not playing for the AJHL or SJHL. Does anyone have any insight? We actually saw some potential when he was in Lethbridge.

Not sure what is going on with him, but he isn't playing, I haven't heard anything about an injury. The few games he has been in, he is on the fourth line, which sees very little ice time. The media sucks here & won't question Lamb on anything, they only try to put lipstick on a pig, I won't hold my breath for an answer from them.

dodywood4ever
03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Quite the streak the boys are on LOL. What a joke. Theres no way we are this bad with that line-up. Hope this will be enough to skid the coach. Couldn't agree more on the media around here. If you follow Mullin or the Broncos on Twitter you would swear we are in first place on a 20 game win streak. Sad really.

HockeyGuru
03-10-2015, 02:21 PM
The biggest reason for the collapse is that Lamb only plays 2 lines right from the first game of the season.Colby Cave plays the most minutes out of any forward in the league,its no wonder the team is collapsing .The other night when Dixon coached the 4th line played 0 minutes(that's right no shifts).

Martin for Thompson trade was forced but a definite loss, Harris although no superstar was ok and could play 12-14 minutes a game.Landon Bow has been overplayed and hasn't been as effective the 2nd half,Childs is a decent young goalie.

Quarter Century Fan
03-10-2015, 03:32 PM
The same thing happens to our team each year, we start out strong and diminish as other teams get better.
Mullin's an arrogant person who is too stuck up to say hi to anyone other than people he esteems in the hockey world.
If missing the playoffs would mean a change behind the bench then lets miss the playoffs so the board can search for someone who can lead this team deep into the playoffs in a few years. :(

shawnmullin
03-10-2015, 10:42 PM
The same thing happens to our team each year, we start out strong and diminish as other teams get better.
Mullin's an arrogant person who is too stuck up to say hi to anyone other than people he esteems in the hockey world.
If missing the playoffs would mean a change behind the bench then lets miss the playoffs so the board can search for someone who can lead this team deep into the playoffs in a few years. :(

If people think I'm too rose coloured glasses about the team fair enough. I'm hardly the only play by play guy to get that accusation. I am around these guys all year and I want them to succeed so I understand someone saying that.

But I'm sorry to hear you think that I am stuck up and arrogant. It's almost always a bad idea to reply to internet comments about you but I hate that you got that impression. I don't ever intentionally ignore anyone and if you've ever felt like I have done that to you my apologies.

I have no allusions about being at all important. I just do a job that is certainly less important than many or most. It's something I love to do but not something I think qualifies me to be arrogant about anything. I don't save lives. I've never played the game at a high level. I have an opinion... that doesn't mean it's more valid than anyone else's even if I am stubborn about it. Most of my friends have nothing to do with hockey outside of maybe being fans like I am. I'm not running around with some posse of hockey people and I've hardly ever even socialized outside of work with any people who are higher up in the game.

Obviously I left that bad impression somehow and that's my responsibility. It's the last thing I'd want to do.

I don't know who you are Quarter Century Fan but if I was rude to you one time or more than once I'm sorry. That's not something I would do intentionally.

Quarter Century Fan
03-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Shawn, on second thought I should rather talk to you in person than post critically and unanimously on a blog about you. My apology.

I thought the Broncos put in a better effort last night against the Pats but they have lapses of not knowing their roles in the defensive zone. That cost them the game again last night. I do believe the issue lies with the coaches not having properly taught this part of the game, or at least taught in a way that our players can grasp.
It looks like we may slip out of the playoffs this weekend unless something changes quickly.:confused:

dodywood4ever
03-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Although the cash from 2 home playoff games is very valuable, missing the playoffs may be best in the long run. Force some changes that are badly needed. There is no way this team should be this bad. Its all on Lamb and the morons who keep coddling him.

SocnorB
03-19-2015, 06:29 PM
It's been the same in Swift going back to the Todd McLellan teams. Play your top two lines until they are completely worn out and done for the playoffs. Lamb may be worse. Double shifts triple shifts his top two lines, haves them kill penalties and we wonder why we squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round. He must have something on the Board to keep warranting contract extensions. You have four lines on a hockey club. USE THEM!!!

Toswammi
03-19-2015, 11:28 PM
It's been the same in Swift going back to the Todd McLellan teams. Play your top two lines until they are completely worn out and done for the playoffs. Lamb may be worse. Double shifts triple shifts his top two lines, haves them kill penalties and we wonder why we squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round. He must have something on the Board to keep warranting contract extensions. You have four lines on a hockey club. USE THEM!!!

Outside of Steenbergen and sometimes Leth, who in our bottom six is actually worthy of ice time?

Quarter Century Fan
03-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Iconwhl Eastern Conference Best

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...355/story.html

(voted by players & coaches)

BEST PLAYER

Brayden Point MJ (54)

Point sits fifth in the Eastern Conference scoring race despite missing time while at the world juniors. His attempts to will Moose Jaw into the playoffs probably scored him a few more votes.

Others receiving votes: Tim McGauley BDN (48); Sam Reinhart KTY (44); Trevor Cox MH (30); Adam Tambellini CGY (13); Cole Sanford MH (11); Jake Virtanen CGY (6); Morgan Klimchuk BDN (1).

BEST GOALTENDER

Tristan Jarry EDM (96)

The 2014 Memorial Cup winner received 19 first-place votes and was left off just two ballots. This one wasn't close.

Others receiving votes: Marek Langhamer CGY (31); Daniel Wapple REG (26); Jordan Papirny BDN (22); Stuart Skinner LET, Wyatt Hoflin KTY, Landon Bow SC (10); Mack Shields CGY (4); Nick McBride PA (3); Rylan Toth RD (2); Zach Sawchenko MJ (1)

BEST ROOKIE

Ivan Provorov BDN (76)

Sam Steel has spent time quarterbacking the first-unit power play as a forward. Nolan Patrick has scored 28 goals in 53 games. These are two sublime 16-year-olds. Provorov, 17, must be doing something right. Oh, yeah. He leads all rookies in scoring and is top five among all blue-liners.

Others receiving votes: Sam Steel REG (65); Nolan Patrick BDN (46); Stuart Skinner LET (21); Jake Bean CGY (6); Brett Howden MJ (2).

BEST FACEOFF MAN

Colby Cave SC (52)

Cave bested Canadian world junior teammates (Sam Reinhart and Brayden Point) and one of the league's top twoway centres (Tim McGauley) in this category.

Others receiving votes: Sam Reinhart KTY (50); Brayden Point MJ (42); Tim McGauley BDN (21); Conner Bleackley RD (19); Adam Tambellini CGY (14); Markus Eisenschmid MH (6); Steven Owre MH (4); Zac Mackay SC, Nolan Patrick BDN (3); Cole Sanford MH, Sam Steel REG (1).

BEST PENALTY KILLER

Colby Cave SC (28)

Swift Current has the league's eighth-best efficiency (81.1 per cent) while shorthanded. The captain is a big reason why.

Others receiving votes: Dillon Heatherington SC (18); Ashton Sautner EDM, Tim McGauley BDN (14); Pavel Padakin REG (15); Brooks Maxwell RD, Brett Stovin SAS (10); Wyatt Johnson RD, Cole Sanford MH (9); Morgan Klimchuk BDN (8); Tyler Lewington MH, Zac Mackay SC (6); Tanner Eberle MJ, Jamal Watson LET, Chase Lang CGY, Adam Brooks REG, Scott Feser RD, Sam Reinhart KTY (5); Kenton Helgesen CGY, Mads Eller EDM (4); Travis Sanheim CGY, Brandon Baddock EDM, Cole Benson EDM (3); Brayden Point MJ, Dysin Mayo EDM, Connor Rankin CGY (2); Rinat Valiev KTY, Kyle Burroughs MH, Kayle Doetzel RD, Lane Bauer EDM, Kolton Dixon SAS, Devan Fafard LET, Colton Waltz BDN, Nick Zajac SAS, Presten Kopeck RD, Tristan Jarry EDM (1).

BEST OFFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN

Ivan Provorov BDN (97) Provorov's 15 goals lead the Eastern Conference. His 60

points trail only Travis Sanheim. The Russian blue-liner has played in seven fewer games.

Others receiving votes: Travis Sanheim CGY (59); Rinat Valiev KTY (14); Tommy Vannelli MH (11); Brett Cote RD (10); Ashton Sautner EDM (6); Dysin Mayo EDM, Ryan Pilon BDN (4); Jake Bean CGY (1).

BEST DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN

Dillon Heatherington SC (55) Heatherington anchored the shutdown pairing for Canada in Montreal and Toronto. He edged out Tyler Lewington, 20, who signed his entrylevel deal with Washington earlier this month, on the strength of more first-place votes.

Others receiving votes: Tyler Lewington MH (47); Colby Williams REG (28); Keegan Kanzig CGY (19); Kyle Burroughs MH (14); Ivan Provorov BDN (10); Travis Sanheim CGY (6); Ty Stanton MH, Colton Waltz BDN (4); Rinat Valiev KTY, Michael Zipp CGY (3); Brett Lernout SC (2); Brett Cote RD, Nelson Nogier RD (1)

BEST DEFENSIVE FORWARD

Colby Cave SC (47)

Cave earns his third defensive-type award, firmly establishing himself as one of the WHL's hardest players to play against.

Others receiving votes: Tim McGauley BDN (22); Pavel Padakin REG (15); Sam Reinhart KTY (19); Wyatt Johnson (12); Adam Tambellini CGY (10); Connor Rankin CGY, Morgan Klimchuk BDN (9); Brooks Maxwell RD (8); Brett Stovin SAS, Patrick D'Amico REG, Lane Bauer EDM (6); Jack Rodewald MJ, Scott Feser RD, Presten Kopeck RD (5); Brayden Point MJ, Zac Mackay SC (4); Tanner LeSann SC, Braden Christoffer REG, Torrin White MJ, Chase Lang CGY, Kenton Helgesen CGY (3); Adam Brooks REG (2); Conner Bleackley RD, Brett Pollock EDM, Jamal Watson LET, Cole Sanford MH, Trevor Cox MH (1).

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER

Tim McGauley BDN Jake DeBrusk SC (30)

McGauley cracked the 100-point barrier after recording 60 last season. With 39 goals and 74 points, De-Brusk is a candidate to be selected in the first-round of the upcoming NHL draft. Others receiving votes: Dryden Hunt MH, Adam Brooks REG (28); Cole Sanford MH (10); Jack Rodewald MJ, Chase Lang CGY, Tanner Eberle MJ (7); Kyle Burroughs MH (6); Adam Musil RD, Brett Lernout SC, Colby Cave SC, Jake Bean CGY (5); Austin Wagner REG (4); Connor Gay MH, Cameron Hebig SAS, Kade Jensen LET, Lane Bauer EDM, Brett Pollock EDM, Wyatt Johnson RD, Kord Pankewicz LET, Markus Eisenschmid MH, Sergey Zborovskiy REG, Tyler Wong LET (3); Colby Williams REG (2); Landon Bow SC, Zach Sawchenko MJ, Braden Christoffer REG, Brendan Guhle PA, Luke Philp KTY, Brett Stovin SAS, Braylon Shmyr BDN (1).

MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER

Jack Rodewald MJ (27) Brayden Point gets most of the attention in Moose Jaw, but over-ager Jack Rodewald is just one point behind him in the scoring race.

Others receiving votes: Luke Philp KTY (22); Lane Bauer EDM (18); Rihards Bukarts BDN (16); Dysin Mayo EDM (13); Colby Cave SC (12); Connor Rankin CGY, Ty Stanton MH (10); Tim Mc-Gauley (9); Brett Cote RD (8); Reid Gardiner PA, Jaedon Descheneau KTY (7); Tanner Eberle MJ, Trevor Cox MH, Ryan Graham SAS (5); Brett Stovin SAS, Brett Pollock EDM (4); Nick Zajac SAS, Max Lajoie SC, Colby Williams REG, Tyler Wong LET, Daniel Wapple REG, Dryden Hunt MH, Braden Christoffer REG (3); Wyatt Hoflin KGY, Adam Tambellini CGY (2); Markus Eisenschmid MH, Cole Sanford MH, Brycen Martin SAS, Jamal Watson LET, Cameron Hebig SAS, Simon Stransky PA, Wyatt Johnson RD, Michael Zipp CGY, Lenny Hackman KTY (1).

BEST PLAYMAKER

Trevor Cox MH (72) - on all 22 ballots Cox tops the WHL in assists and has been among the league leaders scoring all season.

Others receiving votes: Sam Reinhart KTY (65); Brayden Point MJ (58); Tim McGauley BDN (18); Rihards Bukarts BDN, Luke Philp KTY, Travis Sanheim CGY (1).

BEST SHOT

Jake Virtanen CGY (56)

The Vancouver Canucks prospect has a heavy wrister that has helped him record 21 goals in 48 games.

Others receiving votes: Adam Tambellini CGY (48); Cole Sanford MH (28); Tim Bozon KTY (16); Brett Lernout (13); Dryden Hunt MH, Tommy Vannelli MH (6), Tim McGauley BDN (6); Conner Bleackley RD, Mackenze Stewart PA (5); Brett Pollock EDM, Peter Quenneville BDN, Jake DeBrusk

SC (4); Ty Stanton MH, Jesse Lees PA (3); Carter Rigby SC (2); Luke Philp KTY, Connor Hobbs REG, Blake Orban EDM, Reid Gardiner PA (1).

MOST IRRITATING PLAYER

Jesse Gabrielle REG (61)

How irritating is Gabrielle? One of the player respondents wrote down his name for all three choices in the category. The rules were bent, but the message was received. Gabrielle has racked up 112 penalty minutes and refuses to back down from his opponents.

Others receiving votes: Tanner Eberle MJ (43); Brett Pollock EDM (21); Carter Folk LET (14); Taylor Sanheim CGY (10); Jayce Hawryluk BDN (9); Tanner LeSann SC (7); Nick Zajac SAS (6); Jaimen Yakubowski MJ, Jake Virtanen CGY (10); Cole Sanford (4); Ty Stanton MH, Dryden Hunt MH, Craig Leverton PA (3); Haydn Fleury RD, Zac Mackay SC, Tyler Lewington MH, Mads Eller EDM, Austin Vetterl KTY, Ayrton Nikkel SC, Wyatt Johnson RD, Carter Rigby SC, Andrew Nielsen LET (1).

BEST PRO PROSPECT (DRAFTED)

Sam Reinhart KTY (86) - on all 22 ballots

Given that the youngest Reinhart was picked second overall by Buffalo last year, and appeared in nine NHL games for the Sabres this season, this selection was hardly shocking.

Others receiving votes: Brayden Point MJ (44); Jake Virtanen CGY (21); Adam Tambellini CGY (20); Tristan Jarry EDM (10); Morgan Klimchuk BDN (8); Dillon Heatherington SC, Brett Pollock EDM (7); Haydn Fleury RD, Travis Sanheim CGY (6); Mackenze Stewart PA (1).

BEST PRO PROSPECT (UNDRAFTED)

Ivan Provorov BDN (63)

Provorov is expected to be the first Eastern Conference WHLer selected in the 2015 NHL draft. Voters were split between draft-eligible players and undrafted veterans. Others receiving votes: Jake DeBrusk SC (35); Tim McGauley BDN (28); Trevor Cox MH (15); Nolan Patrick BDN (11); Sam Steel REG (10); Connor Rankin CGY (9); Ryan Pilon BDN (6); Cole Sanford MH, Brendan Guhle PA, Colby Cave SC, Stuart Skinner LET (5); Luke Philp KTY, Adam Musil RD (5); Jack Rodewald MJ (3); Dryden Hunt MH (2); Brett Cote RD, Austin Wagner REG, Jake Bean CGY (1).

SocnorB
03-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Outside of Steenbergen and sometimes Leth, who in our bottom six is actually worthy of ice time?

Whose fault is that. Lamb chooses the players on the team. Can't help it if he's just as bad a GM as a coach. Heard it from the players themselves that they are worn out. You can't win in this league playing 2 lines.