PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Hurricanes 2 - Jan 23rd, 2015

dondo
01-24-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't know what the Giants have done to the officials in this league, but man it feels like we get the short end of the stick. Playing a team worse than us and they get 6 PP chances and we get 2? I'm sorry but lately it feels like we are being targeted by the league for some reason and this has been going on for years.

Maybe it is just me and my poor opinion of officiating in this league, but I have watched a ton of games where other teams have taken big dangerous liberties with no calls and we push a guy with a stick the next shift and it's cross-checking.

Anyway, I didn't hear or see any of this game, so some perspective would be appreciated. Were we really that undisciplined? It's good to finally get a win and break that losing streak, but it feels like they out played the Canes (looking at the stats) and probably should have had more chances to pad their individual stats.

Lucic
01-24-2015, 03:44 PM
I'll gladly take the win but it surely wasn't pretty. Lethbridge was awful that was the main reason the Giants won. It was nice to see a little emotion in the game for a change. Both teams appeared to have plenty of hatred for one another. I wouldn't really complain about the officiating from a Giants perspective. They seemed to be killing a lot of penalties but I don't think they were unwarranted minus maybe one or two.

Carter Folk tried to make an impression for the Canes running around a bit early on. He knocked over Menell early into the game, Geersten challenged him and he declined. He hit another Giant or two not long after and Thrower went after him. This time he obliged (http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/127415) probably thinking Thrower is the lesser of two evils. Wrong assumption. After the fight I didn't see Folk play the rest of the game. So one of those punches must have caused some damage.

Giantsfan
01-24-2015, 05:11 PM
The first period was as entertaining as it would get. Like mentioned, lots of nastiness for each other & it was great to see it came from different players.

I think Bobylev ended up with just a bloody nose, not broken but good for him standing up for himself. He's done that a few times & it's nice to see.

Thrower fight was another fight of the year candidate. Nice to see someone accepted his challenge. Not many guys in the league will fight him & nobody wants to fight Geertsen. Maybe he'll find a taker in Kanzig.

I also felt the penalties were warranted & before the game Noel talked to them about being more disciplined & I think it fell on deaf ears.

After the first, it was a really boring game. All the nastiness was gone & the Canes were pretty brutal. They didn't battle hard & made the game very easy for Porter. He only had to make 2 or 3 really good saves. I don't think the Giants were great either but the Canes are so brutal that it's surprising that they shutout the Giants last time.

The next two games are gonna be tough. Especially Sunday in Calgary. Hopefully the Giants can feed off that win, & do it again tonight which is a winnable game.

Nice to see they aren't last in the division, a three way tie for last. Not many easy games & when you are in the position they are in nothing is a given.

Lucic
01-24-2015, 08:52 PM
The Hurricanes are an awful team so that is to be expected. To make matters worse they were really short handed last night. By my unofficial count they had 2 defenseman playing up front. So I didn't go into the game expecting them to light it up. What I found a bit bizarre is they seemed worse on the power play than at even strength. I mean they basically generated absolutely nothing on the PP and that is quite shocking given the amount of penalties the Giants took.

Anyway I'll take the 2 points. The Giants aren't going to get any tonight in Red Deer, IMO. Rebels badly outplayed them after 20.

Priceisright
01-24-2015, 09:20 PM
4-0 now :(

giants changed goalies once again. they do that alot this year.

i say get rid of Lee and get a good goalie for next year and Porter as a back up

Giantsfan
01-27-2015, 07:52 PM
The Giants won't trade kids that are in high school unless they are a real problem kid.

A lot of the players also have no trade clauses as well so that makes making a move that much more difficult.

johnnyradiant
01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
It's time management started getting 'must play' clauses if the players are getting 'no trade' clauses.

While I agree about the officiating I generally am not left with the opinion that the Giants are wearing a pick me target. Generally I feel their ill gotten PIMs are the result of pretty much any combination but a vendetta. A player may earn a tit for tat call 'cause of their previous antics but I haven't felt as a team they have worn that target for a number of years. Given their general ineptitude to get calls right across the board I don't think they could hide team targeting with any degree of success. Though I think Kirk came the closest in and around 07-09, but I think he rotated his target around quite frequently and often to the home team.