PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Nogier???????

Uknownothing
02-19-2015, 01:23 PM
It seems strange why the Blades were honoring Nogier last night against the Rebels.Yes I understand once a Blade always a Blade but it just didn't make any sense . I know it was his bobble head night which was probably planned a year in advance but to give him a framed picture and jersey seems weird, the Blades should of just given the Rebels trainer a bobble head to give to Nogier after the game and not all of the other crap. Since when do you honor a guy you trade that played 128 games in really 3 seasons(one year was as a 15yr old and played 4 games so I'm not counting that one) , 18 pts , a -26 plus/minus and 3 playoff games with the team. If its because he is from Saskatoon its still strange .Honoring players should be reserved for the players that have achieved something not for over blowin hype of a last name.

I'm still in shock right now over it.;):confused::confused::confused:
Can someone help me understand.

EastDivFan
02-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Can someone help me understand.

I've noticed the organization has started to focus more on "local" players during the course of the season. In the end, it's all marketing. The organization seems to be far too focused on marketing rather than the actual product on the ice if you ask me. Mind you, they had stellar attendance for a weeknight game last night, so maybe they're just smarter than we are. Nonetheless, it's these "events" that lead to the organization getting mocked by other fans around the league. Nothing sells tickets like winning. They'll figure it out.

curwie
02-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I've noticed the organization has started to focus more on "local" players during the course of the season. In the end, it's all marketing. The organization seems to be far too focused on marketing rather than the actual product on the ice if you ask me. Mind you, they had stellar attendance for a weeknight game last night, so maybe they're just smarter than we are. Nonetheless, it's these "events" that lead to the organization getting mocked by other fans around the league. Nothing sells tickets like winning. They'll figure it out.

Christ I hate having it look like I'm running to the rescue for the owners cause truth be told I'm not sure I particularly care too much for them, but your post and posts like yours are starting to drive me nuts. They know damn well that winning will put butts in the seats. It will take time! I'm gonna open a can of worms here. Have you even bothered to look at Brandon's roster and see who is still playing and producing for them from the Schenn deal? Do some research. It pains me to much to even list them all. McGauley, Papriny, Hawerlyck, and there is more! That was Lornes doing. I was supportive of it at the time but it really came back to bite us in the ass! Then we have all the fricken 1st round picks we dealt since what? 2007? The last first round pick to put on a Blades uniform was Brent Benson. You don't continously trade 1st round picks for 1 year rental players without repercussions. Yes we got some ok return for Burns and Valcourt etc but that doesn't change the fact that if we hadn't made those deals in the mem cup season that we would be winning today. It is what it is right now, lipstick on a pig. I will bet anyone on here a 100.00 that we have a 40 win season the year after next.

EastDivFan
02-20-2015, 12:55 AM
I've defended management several times on "the other" forum. Believe me, I understand where we are and how we got here. Overall I don't have any major issues with what the Blades are doing. However, there is no ignoring the fact they are one of the more heavily-marketed teams in the league. And some of the promotions are hokey (Bring your pet night, Nelson Nogier bobblehead night, etc.). As you say, it is what it is.

curwie
02-20-2015, 01:07 AM
I've defended management several times on "the other" forum. Believe me, I understand where we are and how we got here. Overall I don't have any major issues with what the Blades are doing. However, there is no ignoring the fact they are one of the more heavily-marketed teams in the league. And some of the promotions are hokey (Bring your pet night, Nelson Nogier bobblehead night, etc.). As you say, it is what it is.

I agree with you. They seem like different people. However I don't give a crap how arrogant or egotistical they are or how much of a great friend Dan Tencer is to Colin, or how much of Colin's money came from daddy etc. I want wins, and I believe they do as well. You don't get to where Mike Priestner is by being stupid. If the only thing I have in common with the owners is, is that I want to win, that's ok with me.

EastDivFan
02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Well, one final thought on this matter. As odd as Nelson Nogier bobblehead night seems on it's own, it's probably worth remembering that similar events were held for Makarov, Stransky, and Thrower as I recall. And there was Wendel Clark too. That one I get. Those were all conducted under the previous regime.

Uknownothing
02-20-2015, 01:54 PM
I don't have a problem with the bobble head night I understand that this event was bought and payed for by sponsors in advance before he was traded that's fine have when he returns for a game and to please the sponsors ,BUT to present him with a framed jersey and picture and have his old man drop the puck to him come on, very over the top. As for all those other nights those players were not given framed pictures and jerseys and they statistically accomplished more than Nogier .

Madmax
03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't have a problem with the bobble head night I understand that this event was bought and payed for by sponsors in advance before he was traded that's fine have when he returns for a game and to please the sponsors ,BUT to present him with a framed jersey and picture and have his old man drop the puck to him come on, very over the top. As for all those other nights those players were not given framed pictures and jerseys and they statistically accomplished more than Nogier .

Bobble head nights used to be a good promotion and might still be. I can understand they needed to do it as they had planned it and had a sponsor that paid for the bobble heads. I also think they went the extra mile for the Kid and the family because he is a local, and because they had just traded him away from home and his parents. It doesn't hurt to smooth things over a bit when you can as these things happen. Jr hockey is a business, but sometimes things are not all that cut and dried, especially with a local player being involved in a trade. At first I kind of laughed about them doing it, but kind of thought about it at last nights game and changed my mind.