PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton/Red Deer

Fight Guy
03-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Last trip out of province this season, and it starts against an Oil Kings team that have proved difficult this season. No Wagner yet, but I've heard he's very close and was probably hoping to play tonight. More rest won't hurt with the post season on the horizon. The Pats are otherwise healthy up front, so whatever.

Leschyshyn will get to play with Cooper and Cole tonight. So as I suspected, he will get lots of chance to contribute playing with Cooper. Jake's probably really excited to play against his old team tomorrow night. Paddock obviously liked what he saw with Padakin/Steel/Gabrielle last game, which reminds me, to WesternHockeyScout... I was mistaken about Gabrielle's contribution to their first goal. Was a super nice the whole play. Didn't realize that cross ice feed was the beginning of that scoring play. We'll get to see if they can continue that chemistry.

Hopefully the Pats keep playing physical tonight as it will probably be fairly key to being successful against the Oil Kings. 60 minutes will be a necessity also.

patsdude114
03-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Don't look now but let's not rule out a possible 1st round match up against Moose Jaw... Tonight MJ beat SC 3-2 in regulation to pull within 4pts of SC and SC gets a most likely very pjssed off BRN team tomorrow night as BRN lots 5-2 to PA tonight.... MJ gets SAS tomorrow night so odds are in MJ's favour to pull within 2pts of SC for 3rd in our division.

Heard Wapple was taken to hospital after he took a puck to the throat, was a pretty scary situation when shown on webcast. If the Pats hold onto this win tonight they basically have clinched 2nd spot with 79pts, the most SC could get in their final 7 games is 79pts a tie breaker would go to SC but the Pats will definitely get 1pt in their remaining 8 games. I would expect to see Wapple given the night off tomorrow even if he is able to play, especially if we hold onto the win and basically clinch 2nd

RWAH
03-06-2015, 09:56 PM
think if we get the W tonight we will see a change in the ice time as the 3 and 4 lines should get added time and the 2 and 3 lines a little less. I don't think Paddock will give the top 6 a night off but will reduce their ice time

GO PATS GO

patsdude114
03-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Good win tonight by the Pats they got alittle too defensive in the 3rd period and spent a lot of time in their own zone. That was one of my biggest complaints last year when we had a lead the coaching staff went full on defense and forgot to attack as well, just don't get why change what is working.

Anyways im sure glad that game is over my god are those 2 Oil King announcers such homers, they are worse then Roddy and that says a lot as that is very hard to do.....

patsdude114
03-06-2015, 11:48 PM
So I was looking up some stats and I was looking at Connor Gay's stats since being traded to RD.... These are his stats

25gp 2g 12a 14pts +3

Maybe Paddock knew exactly what he was doing and knew Gay was just a player benefiting from D'Amico and Hunt with their skills. Maybe he could find himself on the outside looking in next season as a 20yr old.

Would like to hear from a Rebels fan on how Gay has really been as stats are not always telling te real story of what a player is bringing to the ice and a prime example of that was Padakin here early in the year when a few of us (myself included) were thinking we over paid big time.

wacko
03-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Nice to see that the Pats won. I was thinking it would be tough for them to pull out a win in Edmonton's barn. I was also thinking we'd get Swift Current for sure in the first round, but that bet's not looking quite as safe now the way Moose Jaw is charging full steam ahead.

hockey4
03-07-2015, 12:32 AM
So I was looking up some stats and I was looking at Connor Gay's stats since being traded to RD.... These are his stats

25gp 2g 12a 14pts +3

Maybe Paddock knew exactly what he was doing and knew Gay was just a player benefiting from D'Amico and Hunt with their skills. Maybe he could find himself on the outside looking in next season as a 20yr old.

Would like to hear from a Rebels fan on how Gay has really been as stats are not always telling te real story of what a player is bringing to the ice and a prime example of that was Padakin here early in the year when a few of us (myself included) were thinking we over paid big time.

Gay has been avg at best. Plays the perimeter. Seems to have gotten better the last 5-6 games, but I def see him on the outside looking in next season. RD has 3 solid 20's next year anyway, so i'm sure he'll be moved for a draft pick. Still a great trade for RD IMO

Bighat
03-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Well the Bighat has to eat some crow, I didn't think the pats would have played this well down the stretch. I talked to a parent and I guess Conner doesn't fit into sutters system. He just doesn't feel comfortable there. It happens, maybe he'll end up in the hat next year.

Fight Guy
03-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Was a pretty good game last night. Glad they were able to get some pucks by Jarry. He has been huge against the Pats the past couple games. Was glad to see Gabrielle finally drop the gloves, as underwhelming as the fight ended up being. Both him and Irving were pretty angry though. Wasn't good to see Wapple go down like he did. Luckily it's not too serious and should play next week. In the mean time, Brown gets some more playing time.

With that being said, I'm guessing the Pats were in a bit of a pickle with their goaltender availability. With Chapman in the thick of the AMHL playoffs with the UFA Bisons, they probably didn't want to jeopardize their team. So, in place, their emergency call up is Cole Sears of the Red Deer Chiefs of the AMHL.

It seems Gay is experiencing what a lot of other players went through when getting traded to the Pats. So many times in the past, the Pats would trade for a really good player, but when they get here, they don't do near as much as with their previous team. Usually this is due to the change in systems as lots of times these players would look really good here until they got some practices in. Then all of a sudden, they looked just as good as the rest of the team. All these players came from teams who played offensive styles and allowed creativity. Then they came to where they were expected to run designed plays and that's it.

Now, we're on the other side of this as a skilled player in Gay is struggling with another team, while a player who has looked good with Brandon and Lethbridge in Cooper is now excelling with new style of play and more freedom for creativity. This is no secret too as many players have come out and said what the past seasons had been like. Brooks is an ideal example of this. He never had any opportunity to do much last season, and now look at him!

Tonight, as long as the Pats don't sit back at all and play like they did last game against Red Deer, this game shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm not saying Red Deer is going to be easy, but I'm sure the Pats know they can beat them easily with a solid effort. Would be cool also if Leschyshyn could immediately rub it in Sutters face. What is "it" exactly?? I guess just making him think twice about trading him...lol. Speaking of Jake, he was pretty damn good on the face offs last night!

patsdude114
03-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Speaking of Jake, he was pretty damn good on the face offs last night!

He has looked great in faceoffs in each of his games, its abit scary to think just how good he is in the faceoff dot at age 15... just wait til he gets more experienced against top end faceoff guys and as he gets older and stronger. Be interesting to see what Sillinger can do to help him as well as Sillinger has took part in a few practices this year to work on faceoffs

Moonergroupie
03-08-2015, 01:32 AM
I go to about half the home games and I think tonight's game might have been the best game I have seen Gay play. He wasn't on the score sheet, but was engaged in the play and seemed to have an extra step that I hadn't seen previous. Seemed to be looking pass all night, even though he had some prime opportunities to shoot the puck. A couple times he was in the slot and passed it to a teammate that was completely covered. He does look like he just isn't comfortable with the system. I had him penciled in for one of the twenty year old spots for next year when he arrived and now would be very surprised to see him on the team next year unless he gets things going in the last 6 games and playoffs.
I forgot Leschyshyn was playing tonight so I really wasn't watching for him. He certainly didn't do anything to make himself noticeable that I seen.
2 really bad goals on Burman tonight and 1 on Brown. Should have been a 4-1 game.

RWAH
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Just looked at the remaining schedule for Swift and MJ and I give the edge to Swift to hold on to 3rd as they have an easier last 6 games. Here are their schedules
Moose Jaw Home - Reg / SC / Brn Away - Brn / Reg / Brn
Swift Home - Reg / PA / Leth Away - PA / MJ / Leth

patsdude114
03-08-2015, 02:20 PM
MJ definitely has a tough schedule ahead of them to push for the playoffs but with how terrible SC has been playing as of late it wouldn't surprise me if MJ over took them

calcheyup
03-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Well the Bighat has to eat some crow, I didn't think the pats would have played this well down the stretch. I talked to a parent and I guess Conner doesn't fit into sutters system. He just doesn't feel comfortable there. It happens, maybe he'll end up in the hat next year.
If the Rebels stood pat on the 20-year-old front in the offseason, and didn't acquire any overagers, there is no question he is the odd man out. Really disappointing when you think you're getting a point per game player and he just doesn't show up, for whatever reason.

patsdude114
03-08-2015, 06:41 PM
If the Rebels stood pat on the 20-year-old front in the offseason, and didn't acquire any overagers, there is no question he is the odd man out. Really disappointing when you think you're getting a point per game player and he just doesn't show up, for whatever reason.

turns out the Pats didn't over pay one bit to get Leschyshyn.. if Gay is playing that terrible this trade basically comes down to

Leschyshyn (6th ovr)
4th rd '17 (cond)

for

1st rd '16
2nd rd '15
7th rd '17

Next season the Pats should be just as strong if not stronger then they are this season as every player will be older and ready to take on much bigger roles. We are not losing anything that isn't replaceable in terms of 20yr olds so that 1st rd pick next season should be anywhere between 15th & 22nd.... not a bad price to pay when your getting the 6th ovr pick in return.

At least this is how I see this trade, if Gay had been producing like he was in Regina before the trade then maybe I would give the edge to RD in this trade but with his performance in RD I just cant give the edge to RD at all. Jake has scored 1 less goal then Gay has gotten since the trade.

Fight Guy
03-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Considering Gay had 20 goals before he got traded, it's got to be pretty disappointing being a Rebels fan. I have to say though, compared to the first two games after the deadline against the Pats, he was a lot more noticeable and in the play, like Moonergroupie mentioned. But if that was one of his best games, that kind of sucks. Certainly not utilized the same. He probably would be doing a lot better in Medicine Hat. Wasn't a bad game at all though. Both teams played pretty good against each other. Red Deer had a really good 3rd. Did a good job of holding the Pats late game rush off.

Now it pretty well just comes down to who the Pats will play in a couple weeks. Though Moose Jaw has a steep hill to over come, they are looking a lot better than Swift Current right now. Will be interesting to see how that unfolds. The Broncos have given the Pats more trouble all year, but Moose Jaw has been playing the Pats good lately too. Both could be a good series.

Also, Adam Berg's Mustangs were swept in their first round series tonight. Could be with the team as early as Tuesday, maybe not till the weekend though.

patsdude114
03-09-2015, 01:34 AM
Not to sound selfish but Berg's Mustang's being swept is great news for the Pats and also great news for Berg himself. He should of been at the WHL level from the start of the year but with the late hiring of coaches they got down to respectable numbers very fast with little info on any of the prospects.

I think Berg is going to be a key player for us down the stretch and into the playoffs, he makes our depth that much better upfront and if I recall during his last call up he looked very good with Wagner while Brooks was hurt.