PDA

View Full Version : Pats Off Season 2015

Fight Guy
04-20-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm just going to start off with a couple fun facts from last seasons off season thread...

-On April 6 last year, when the Pats season was over, when discussing Klimchuk's value for being moved, Patsdude had suggested as an off season deal...

TO BRN
Klimchuk

TO REG
1st ovr pick
Gabrielle ('97) or Lindgren ('96)
Tanner Kaspick (2nd rd 2013 pick)

Now, he was only traded right before the deadline, so this return wasn't near as much, but how about that for kind of calling part that over a year ago!

-Just before the draft, on April 30, 'witness' suggested that if Leschyshyn is available at 13, take him! Well, he went 6th overall and now is a Regina Pat and has been nothing but a pleasant surprise as an under age player. Paddock picked a good player to center the '99 group around.

-One last thing that stood out... On May 6, 'Bighat' came out of nowhere and said, "We won't be trading any of our top players, we will have 1 of the stronger teams this coming year. The following year is where we will struggle. We have a group of 16-17 yr olds that will play well next year but will have a strong veteran leadership aswell." ...no one believed this would be the case, but the season came and the Pats were one of the top teams in the league in the first half. It can be argued whether they had the same level of success under Cameron, but it happened.

This was all before the team was even sold, so it's kind of neat that this was said over a year ago already. There were a couple other things too, but they didn't stand out as much. Except for Brooks. Only 'chopper' showed a lot of confidence in him. I, too, saw his progression at the end of the previous season and thought he would at least be a part of the team this past season. Well, he pretty well shoved any doubters faces into the dirt and proceeded to dance a jig on top of their heads. Now he looks to become a top 20 in two years when the Pats look to start making legit playoff runs.

Now let's get to next season...

chopper
04-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Last year the WK's got knocked out in 5 games of the second round. People were saying they would do better next season, and they did. Now doesn't that remind us of another hockey team?? I think the Pats will be exponentially better next season.

Some guys had break out years i.e. Williams and Brooks. Hopefully we see more of the same from Wagner, Gabrielle, and Harrison if he's still here. A kid who got better and better in the playoffs was Luke Smith. I think and hope he will be a power next season and beyond. Another big guy in Kroeker might be due for better things.

With Williams, Zbrovsky, Hobbs, and Hilsendager as certain locks, that doesn't leave much for the remaining and plentiful options. In goal there are number of good options.

I listened to Paddock carefully on his exit interview. He alluded the need to enhance his club. He spoke of this being a 19 year old driven league. He stated that's why Branndon is having and will continue to have success next season. His message was obvious.

We may see a little more sprinkling of veteran presence. IMO a high end shut down d-man and a gritty tough forward. I think he will have assets to trade, perhaps even prospects who may not get a chance here. The cabinets are well stocked and deep. McCrimmon has extra prospects and frequently moves some for older guys. You need them to win. If we could finally have an exceptional import draft, how things could change.

Round'the'Rink
04-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Any thoughts if Elmer, Pouteau and Krushen can be regulars in this league next year? Any other 98's in the system will crack the line-up? Any 99's other than Leschyshyn have a chance to stick? If Pouteau & Krushen stick on backend then defiantly have to bring in a older dman in my opinion.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-21-2015, 02:34 AM
By the way, there will be some insight from this relevant thread...http://whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=26070

Id say Erik Gardiner will probably make the team. He had equal to better numbers than Leschyshyn in the same league. Jake might have the higher draft position, proven bloodline, and high priority given as recent acquisition....though Erik's brother leads PA in scoring(be nice if we got both brothers in this organization). I see them both as locks. Some might say Jordan Hollett will make the team, but I bet the pats elect to delay his arrival and stay with the same tandem. Brown has done what was asked, and has given no reason for the team to throw him away. I bet Wapple passes the torch to Brown first but just for him to keep it warm for when Hollett is ready...So for next year, aside from the first two, Id say Gary Haden* has the next best chance instead. He may have been a late pick, but he grew a few inches and managed to lead the alberta midget league in scoring to take his team to the telus cup, with three other pats prospects on the team(goalie chapman, and forwards cox and that many guns guy, who will likely all require another year before making cuts).

As for '98s, speaking of the Telus cup, the Pat C's are participating, and Riley Woods** got four points in his first game. Despite being undersized and 17 years old next year, he has a chance too. Another pat prospect on the Pat C's, Mathew Chekay. If the games are televised, you should get to watch the pats be well represented on a couple teams.

Liam Schioler also has a chance to crack the D, but that's only contingent on whether he is actually interested.

...and Ill post my depth chart sometime later.

*Gary Haden's scouting report:

"good puck-handling skills, creates scoring chances, finds high-scoring areas, can avoid contact, high hockey IQ, always dangerous"

**Riley Woods' scouting report:

"small but skilled, exceptional hockey IQ, very good on the PP, wins one-on-one battles, hard, accurate shot, quick release, fast feet"

walleye18
04-21-2015, 08:23 AM
All the Telus Cup games are avaialable for free online, and the final on Sunday is on TSN.

Fight Guy
04-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Well, this might get long...

Paddock has made it pretty clear recently that he wants to try and add a couple of 19 year old's if he can and "enhance" the line-up. Although adding a '96 forward would be good for next season, I don't really want to see top '98-'99 prospects losing out on spots in favour of older players when next season isn't the target. Yes, it will be extra leadership and experience to pass down and carry on to the 2016/17 season, but they only had three 19yo skaters after the trade deadline and I'd say they did pretty good in the end. If anything, have another '96 so that the following year he can carry over as a 20yo. The '97's that come back are going to be more than capable of carrying on production. Paddock wants lots of 19yo's in two years, but I feel a bit more balance between them and the '98's could or should be had.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My early forwards with last seasons roster numbers and what's currently in the Pats system...

'95 - Cooper
'96 - Brooks
'97 - Wagner, Gabrielle, Berg, Cole
'98 - Steel, Smith, Elmer, Woods
'99 - Leschyshyn, Gardiner*

All season, the Pats carried only as many players as they needed, and that makes 12 spots.

-It's no surprise I left McAmmond off as his future has kind of already been decided.

-Another name that I have left off is Kroeker. Unless he breaks out and gets A LOT stronger with the puck, I think he's going to be in tough to make it next season with younger talent that showed just as much as him this past season. He hasn't done enough for me. He would definitely remain in the system and maybe re-earn his spot. Seems Paddock really likes him though, so he may stick. Zimmer looked damn good in his one game call-up. Showed a lot more that game than Kroeker has.

-I have also included Woods in this forward group. I never saw any of camp last year so have to go off what everyone else had said, but it seemed everyone was really impressed with Woods and even though small, if he can keep his opponents off him, he could be the Regina born player that Williams passes the torch down to the following season.

-Gardiner really has a good chance of making this team. He looked good when he was called up and from what I read, he was quite good in camp too. Was also the leading 15yo scorer in the SMAAAHL this season. Not sure I would use the comparison of him to Leschyshyn and their respective teams though. The Mintos were a good team where Gardiner played with older players. Leschynshyn, if I recall hearing correctly, was about the only good player on his Blazer team at 15 years old. The reason I put a * beside Gardiner's name though is I have a feeling Haden may have a serious shot at that spot. I completely forgot that he was rated at #31 for last years draft. Something I found interesting when comparing the bantam prospect rankings (which if available for this draft again, PLEASE post again!) and the draft day results on the WHL site. When comparing his size, on the prospects list, he's listed as 5'9" 155lbs. On the draft page, he's listed at 5'7" 136lbs. This leaves me to wonder, what were teams looking at when seeing players size?? Could possibly explain why he ended up being over looked for so long. Anyway, he seems to very skilled and is having a great midget season as a 15yo. I've been following him most of the season and have really wanted to see him play.

-In the end though, there's a chance neither of them make the team when you factor in the possibility of another '96 being added and the possibility of an Import as well. It's been made clear Zborovskiy is here for the long haul, so a forward is likely what is wanted. Depending on what happens with the Pats selection this season, maybe they can kill two birds with one stone again and make that 19yo be an acquired import that could maybe be a "Padakin" the following season. Hard to know for sure if an import will go pro at that age, but I really want to see our Canadian kids make make the team and get experience. But, if they land a 'Kalus' or 'Sherback' in the draft, that would be just fine too.

-Other players that will likely be of interest next season, as of now, will likely be Many Guns and Ossman.

~'98 Many Guns is a big body that probably needs some work, but if he can move that big body anything like Smith moves his, he could be in the Pats future too.
~'99 Ossman is a late birthday and played against all 15yo's this past season. He put up big numbers playing on a so-so team that he appeared to anchor and carry a lot of the time. It definitely appeared he was carrying his team through the playoffs, all the way to the Provincials. They ended up not doing so well there, but they probably didn't have much business being there, other than winning the games they needed to. He's another smaller player though, and I'm not sure how many small players can be around in the next few years.

-Can't see any of the others being standouts this season. Not sure if guys like Cox, Third, or Richards will have anything going for them next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My early defense...

'95 - Williams
'96 - Harrison
'97 - Hilsendager, Hobbs, Zborovskiy
'98 - Pouteau, Krushen*, Freadrich*

The Pats carried eight defensemen all season, except when players were called up and Hansen was moved back.

-I've been pretty hard on Harrison most of the season and I'm still not sure he was good enough, but he did show bright spots and he elevated his game in the playoffs as well. Regardless, I would expect him to be around as a 20 year old unless he is upgraded.

-Paddock said Zborovskiy, Hilsendager, and Hobbs are all looking to become top d-men in the WHL in two seasons, and I agree. They played great in the playoffs and are a solid trio in that age group.

-Pouteau had a great midget season and we even got a sneak peak at him. With the Pats, though I'm pretty sure he was just told to get the puck deep with out icing it, he looked the part. He has good size and from the few times he made any skating moves, he made them very smoothly. He's on the team next season.

-Krushen didn't play much at the end, but that was mainly due to all the forwards coming in and Hansen moving to D. When he did play, he didn't look bad but definitely made a lot of mistakes. I wasn't too concerned about it as he was 16 and probably shouldn't have been called up, but was the only option at the time. I don't think he would have been ready for the intensity of the playoffs and because Pouteau just came off an extended playoff run with a team in a similar situation and was extremely productive, he got a look over Krushen in the playoffs.

-Not sure what Lovell's deal was at the beginning of the MMHL playoffs, but he played two games then was no longer on the roster or a part of the team. Does he still play into the picture?? Many were pretty impressed with him last camp, so I won't exclude him either.

-Freadrich had a good season in the AJHL as a 16yo rookie and from what everyone said of him last season, he is a very skilled D-man. If Paddock doesn't mind his size, I could see him making the team. That would leave the D with three rookies again and I'm not sure it will go that way. If a '96 d-man is added, one of Krushen or Freadrich doesn't stick.

-If a Schioler decides he wants to play WHL, he's in. We still haven't seen a thing about him committing to college, but it seems pretty likely. Though, if the Pats had any chance of him warming up to them, they've made a pretty good case. There is nothing but positivity around the team right now and I have a feeling that if anyone can talk him into coming here, it's going to be John Paddock. But, if he wants to go to college, he wants to go to college.

In conclusion, two 17's and two 19's would probably be ideal, but who knows what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the goalies...

'95 - Wapple
'97 - Brown

-I have Wapple taking a 20yo spot to at least start the season. I feel he will probably get moved at some point. Then Brown takes over as starter and Hollett is called up to back up Brown for the remainder. That way, the following season, Brown is 19 and should be very capable of being a good goaltender. Hollett should be looking to take starting position from Brown and they could push each other all season and be a very solid duo for the expected playoff run that year.

-or-

-Wapple is here all season with Brown as back-up. It's very possible.

-Does Chapman work himself into the equation??

It will be very interesting to see how things play out. Paddock is pretty happy with his team right now and said he doesn't foresee there being many moves this coming season. I have a funny feeling he could make a splash at the bantam draft, but that's just crazy thoughts going through my head of him trying to land one of the high rated d-men. On that note, I will say it again, if the bantam draft rankings are made available before hand, PLEASE POST!!!

...and that concludes my early thoughts....I think.

RWAH
04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Quick note: Hobbs gets 1 game suspension: what web site is the Telus cup being web cast on?

Fight Guy
04-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Was wondering if Hobbs suspension would be decided this year...

The Telus Cup games are right on the Telus Cup site.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/National-Championships/Men/National-Midget/2015

If you go to the schedule and click on any game for the box score, the live stream should load right in the middle of it for that game. Not a bad feed either!

chopper
04-21-2015, 06:01 PM
The blown call on Hobbs cost the Pats game 4 and contributed hugely to the loss in game 5. Byblow and Doerksen deserve copious contempt. Little wonder they gave him just a game, it's one more than he deserved. They then slithered into their holes.

Pat C's won today 5-0 over a Quebec team, now 2-0 in the tournament.

booboo
04-21-2015, 09:22 PM
The blown call on Hobbs cost the Pats game 4 and contributed hugely to the loss in game 5. Byblow and Doerksen deserve copious contempt. Little wonder they gave him just a game, it's one more than he deserved. They then slithered into their holes.

Pat C's won today 5-0 over a Quebec team, now 2-0 in the tournament.

Get real chopper! The refs cost you the series! You were not going to beat Brandon this year so quite your whining!! What a dumb comment!:groovy:

chopper
04-21-2015, 09:31 PM
The comments posted by Fight Guy and S-A-J are pretty much spot on. I too would agree if any forwards are on the bubble Kroeker and McAmmond may be the two. At 6'3" and 6'1" the question that lingers is are we prepared to replace them with 5'8" - 5'9" guys?

One of the mandates a couple years back was to get bigger, and I don't know how that would fit into that. One thing I do know is that year after year Medicine Hat goes with these small lineups up front. They have great regular seasons but falter in most playoffs.

Kroeker has been a late bloomer but big scorer at his past levels. I would hate to see him go elsewhere and start lighting it up at 18 like Brooks did!!. McAmmond started to show some flashes and he would be back as an 18 year old. I just don't know what to think.

They often say you can teach most everything, but you can't teach size. If Paddock doesn't do much with his lineup the downside is some good players may not be able to crack the lineup. It's like being a victim of his own riches and could mean trading off prospects.

Paddock alluded to the need for "enhancing" his lineup obviously with 19 year olds. What does that do to the current lineup? How will a good import change things (if we ever get a Kalus again)? There are so many moving parts that the off season may be turbulent.

They played Hollett in Victoria and had tried to get him into a 2nd game. They brought him out for the playoffs. Paddock really likes him and I think he is the calibre or better than Skinner in Lethbridge. IMO he will be here as backup unless something odd happens.

All of our d-men are eligible to return. There are at least three more in the wings who are close to ready, not even including Schoiler. If they are looking at adding 19 year old on the back end, the problems get stickier.

There IMO will need to be at least a couple trades made. Since we have few vets, it really only leaves prospects as trade material. McCrimmon does that all the time. It comes with having a plethora of talent and knowing they can't all play for you.

The off season is going to present Paddock with some very tough decisions. They say it's a good kind of problem to have but still guy wrenching for any coach and organization. They may have to say farewell to some blue chip prospects. Like the song "Hurt So Good"

I was hoping to have a top 22 draft list today but may need to wait until tomorrow. If I get them before I leave tomorrow for a vacation, I'll post them. If not you can get them through westernelitehockeyprospects.com They are not always right on, and the order may be off a bit, but it's pretty good and costs 10 bucks.

chopper
04-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Get real chopper! The refs cost you the series! You were not going to beat Brandon this year so quite your whining!! What a dumb comment!:groovy:

Do you even know the definition of dumb? It's the inability to speak. I know I am able to speak. You on the other hand I'm not sure about. If you are dumb I offer my condolences. So please don't use words you don't know the meaning of because it makes you look dumb:)

Before you are allowed to post you should be required to know how to read. I stand behind my comment that a crap call cost the Pats game four and it did. I also said that that same call impacted them in game five and it did. Nowhere was there a mention that the refs cost us the series. And the likes of you wants to call my comment dumb? Sheesh!

You've been a real Richard Head in your past posts on this site, and it appears you are back at it again. You've been tuned up here and you will be again. I have no idea why you would think any Pats fans would want to hear anything you have to say. This link is for Pats fans to discuss their team. You're clearly not a Pats fan. Our standards are much higher starting with the ability to read. We certainly don't need or want the likes of you. If you need to misread and paraphrase improperly to stoke your ego and incompetence, please go elsewhere. You won't be missed.

witness
04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
The one area that the Pats really need to get better on is the Power Play. That is where I can see the smaller guys like Woods and Ossman get a look. Especially Woods. He is lights out on the Pat C's PP.

There is an upside to both Kroeker and McAmmond. McAmmond is the more physical of the two and can play 3rd and 4th line minutes. Kroeker is a little different (at least in my eyes). The kid has some good hockey IQ. Position play is good, rarely on the wrong side of the puck. He just needs to get bigger and stronger for the battles. Last year was a big adjustment year for Kroeker, I would expect he will be better next year.

Hobbs suspension was for one game.

chopper
04-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Hey guys I have a list of the draft picks for the upcoming bantam draft. I'm unable to cut and paste. If someone wants to message me I can arrange to forward to you. I'm heading out shortly.

booboo
04-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Do you even know the definition of dumb? It's the inability to speak. I know I am able to speak. You on the other hand I'm not sure about. If you are dumb I offer my condolences. So please don't use words you don't know the meaning of because it makes you look dumb:)

Before you are allowed to post you should be required to know how to read. I stand behind my comment that a crap call cost the Pats game four and it did. I also said that that same call impacted them in game five and it did. Nowhere was there a mention that the refs cost us the series. And the likes of you wants to call my comment dumb? Sheesh!

You've been a real Richard Head in your past posts on this site, and it appears you are back at it again. You've been tuned up here and you will be again. I have no idea why you would think any Pats fans would want to hear anything you have to say. This link is for Pats fans to discuss their team. You're clearly not a Pats fan. Our standards are much higher starting with the ability to read. We certainly don't need or want the likes of you. If you need to misread and paraphrase improperly to stoke your ego and incompetence, please go elsewhere. You won't be missed.

Your standards are much higher? Who are you trying to kid? I cannot help myself and avoid this horse---- that comes from your fertile imagination. Nuff said, the pissing contest is over. Book your tee time and spare us your drivel.:groovy::clap:

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-23-2015, 12:36 AM
you should really just pick up on the hints and get out of here. Nobody wants to hear from a sore winner, especially one who acts like developing an ass groove in the stands somehow has something to do with your team's success.

if we ever decide to make a thread about our favorite mascots, then perhaps there, your input would be welcomed. But this is a thread about the pats offseason. And even if you were willing to add, you are basically the "steven" of Brandon fans, anyways.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Id say the top three lines are decided, barring any unanticipated trades.

Though I think we keep more than the minimum amount of forwards. Cooper and Brooks are our lone senior players...for now. They will be here. Steel and Smith are our only guaranteed '98s, and main core players, though many other ones will clamor for a spot. I doubt we put an underage player in the playoffs for nothing, so id imagine Leschyshyn stays too. We also have a glut of '97 forwards and should almost certainly move one or two of them in favor of either upcoming youth, or more seasoned players to lead the team. Wagner is our cream of the age group crop so he stays, Gabrielle was recently acquired and complements the rest so he stays too, and Cole stays as he is our resident garrett mitchell.

Plus we will likely get a euro. Bit of a wildcard but we will be better by adding one. Maybe a 19 year old...or maybe a 17? If we add another 18 year old, it stands to reason he bumps one of our already plenty 18 year old forwards.

The rest are on the bubble...well in my opinion. Berg is worth more to the team than he is on a trade market. And has more to show than we have seen so far. But he is hardly a core player. McAmmond is a big boy on a team that needs grit and has more skill than we were shown, but he is replaceable. Kroeker has his positives but I don't think he will get much of a chance on this team to show anything, and I could certainly see a rookie filling his role without trouble. He is probably gone unless he blows people away, since the guys looking to make the team can do what he does. I think with the exception of the new top prospect Leschyshyn, who seems to already be here, Gardiner is the first 16 year old to make the team. I sort of want to see what Haden can do, watching on the streams, he is extremely dangerous offensively as a 15 vs 16/17 year olds but I think he needs to work on all facets of the game, perhaps in Junior A. He is a little small, and a non factor defensively. Given the quantity of youth competing for a spot, we can probably afford to give Haden more ice time somewhere else. The rest of that '99 draft class likely isnt ready yet, and neither is this Ossman kid. Id like to see him put up the same numbers in a more competitive league before he suits up here.

Woods could be the last guy to grab a spot. He is dynamite on the powerplay, and a local kid to boot. Either him or Elmer who seems to have all the right tools. I could see us moving a roster player to make room for both of these guys if they both show what they can do. Many Guns would be a fan favorite here. If he can keep up with the play, Id like to see us give him a chance, though a player of his type wont be stifled by another year in yet another better league. And I also still see a chance for Zimmer to crack the squad(assuming we still hold his rights). Going PPG in Manitoba Junior A is nothing to sneeze at, and I seriously doubt Kroeker or McAmmond could do that. Berg didn't, though he was on a worse team, and I think Berg is the type of player to adjust easier to a more competitive league.

Defence, though, is largely unchanged. Williams is our full time go-to #1 D. Hobbs is the heir apparent, Z is a top four, and Hilsendager and Harrison are depth. I could see one of the forwards above being moved for another 19 year old D to eat some minutes, and take the pressure off the rest. I think its better than adding three more mortlocks like the last ownership would've suggested.

As I previously mentioned Krushen's spot isn't cemented in my mind. Theres him, Poutreau, Bruce/Ewert, Freadrich, and of course Schioler(if he shows up) competing.

chopper
04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
1. Ty Smith (D) Delta Hockey Academy 5'10-155 16g 9-19-28 14pim
2. Riley Stotts (F) Wpg Monarchs 5'10-150 31g 39-29-68 40pim
3. Jett Woo (D) Wpg Warriors 5'11-190 31g 10-27-37 30pim
4. Luca Burzan (F) NSWC 6'0-170 52g 65-43-108
5. Jackson Leppard (F) NSWC 6'1-180 51g 37-38-75
6. Cole Fonstad (F) Estevan Bruins 5'9-135 29g 36-31-67 42pim
7. Calen Addison (D) Brandon AAA 5'8-156 27g 39-28-67 42pim
8. Ethan Cap (D) NSWC 6'2-195 54g 7-24-31
9. Carson Focht (F) Notre Dame AA 5'9-154 35g 35-29-64 56pim
10. Caiden Daley (F) Wpg Warriors 5'11-147 32g 23-38-61 30pim
11. Tyler Popowich OHA 6'4-190 13g 7-8-15 23pim
12. Jonathon Tychonick (D) Calgary FamesAAA 5'9-150 33g 20-38-58 78pim
13. Koby Morriseau (F) Parkland rangers Wpg 6'1-168 29g 38-19-57 79pim
14. Carson Miller (F) Yorkton AA 5'9-160 31g 49-58-107 54pim
15. Tristan Nielsen (F) Edge Mountaineers 5'9-163 15g 15-6-21 45pim
16. Mictchell Prowse (D) OHA 6'1-180 16g 0-5-5 45pim
17. Loeden Schaufler (D) Notre DameAA 5'11-160 35g 10-22-32 22pim
18. Jackson Shepard (F) NSWC 5'7-150 51g 27-68-95
19. Austin Chorney (D) Edge Mounyaineers 5'11-186 15g 1-4-5
20. Chase Wouters (F) Lloydminster Heat 5'10-165 32g 19-38-57 46pim
21. Ryan Chyzowski (F) KamloopsAAA 5'11-175 6g 9-2-11 8pim
22. Matt Mosher (F) Delta Hockey Ac 5'11-175 16g 10-2-12 27pim
23. Spencer Moe (F) Calgary Bisons 5'6-155 27g 31-21-52 33pim
24. Luke Zazula (D) Delta Hockey Ac 5'8-145 15g 2-9-11 39pim
25. Donovan Buskey (G) NSWC
26. Dawson Barteaux (D) Yellowhead Chiefs 6'0-156 26g 7-17-24 16pim
27. Kabir Gill (F) NSWC 6'1-195 53g 19-46-65
28. Paycen Bjorklund (F) Grande Prairie Storm 5'10-150 23g 37-18-55 12pim
29. Sean Comrie (D) Edmonton CAC 6'0-165 30g 11-11-22 44pim
30. Payton McIsaac (D) Fort Saskatchewan 5'10-165 33g 11-34-45 26pim

These are the top 30 I compiled from one list I get. The exact positioning will vary as to team needs. Some will fall off as well. This info has been pretty good in the past. They will be perhaps 75 per cent accurate. In some cases PIM's was not given. I can't say the stats are exact but they should be pretty close.

NSWC means North Shore Winter Club.

witness
05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
It would be nice to get Carson Focht (a local boy), but I don't think he will be around when the Pats pick.

chopper
05-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Based on the reading I've been able to do I am quite intrigued with (21) Ryan Chyzowski who had in 11 points in 6 games this year. He was hurt but is a big time offensive player with good size and scoring at a rate of nearly 2 pts per game. Next would be (11) Tyler Popowich @ 6'4" who had a short season but had 15 pts in 13 games. Big kid with high end skill. I doubt Popowich will be available to us.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I'd like to see us draft an offensive minded puck moving D. We already have a lot of skill and depth on forward, at least for center. And as far as I can tell we don't have any #1 D pedigree prospects at all, nevermind D depth in the system.

I know nothing of these little guys. I still can't get over that they were born in the new millenium. It's weird. But looking at what I see here, I guess we can get someone ranked in the top 15 since most teams go after forwards. I see that as all the more reason to draft the top D available.

If you want a name, I'd say Addison should be the target. Cap, if he has a physical edge.

chopper
05-01-2015, 03:16 PM
I'd like to see us draft an offensive minded puck moving D. We already have a lot of skill and depth on forward, at least for center. And as far as I can tell we don't have any #1 D pedigree prospects at all, nevermind D depth in the system.

I know nothing of these little guys. I still can't get over that they were born in the new millenium. It's weird. But looking at what I see here, I guess we can get someone ranked in the top 15 since most teams go after forwards. I see that as all the more reason to draft the top D available.

If you want a name, I'd say Addison should be the target. Cap, if he has a physical edge.

Addison and Cap would be great acquisitions but I get a sense they may be gone by #14, and for sure Addison will be.

Tychonick from Calgary is interesting with 58pts in 33 games but with an edge with 78pim.
Schaufler out of Notre Dame has 32pts in 35 games and at 5'11" has a little size.
McIsaac out of Fort Saskatchewan has 45pts in 33 games and also has some size.

These three seem to have some offensive upside for D-men. I was reading somewhere that the Pats have "their" guy in mind. Probably someone in that 11 to 17 range. The fly in the ointment is if someone from the top ten drops way down the the pick sequence gets skewered. They could end up with someone they didn't think would still be on the board. It does seem however that they have somebody in mind.

Fight Guy
05-02-2015, 05:58 AM
I'm hoping for a defenseman as well. Addison would be awesome, but chances are he goes before 14th. I'm thinking if anything drops him down it would be his size, but I wouldn't count on it. Cap seems like he would be on a lot of teams radars.

The one that I have been hoping for for awhile, with the way he has been ranked throughout the season and considering the Pats draft position, is Tychonick. Paddock wants players who can skate and his offensive abilities would probably suit his style well also. He was named a Division MVP this season, along with Outstanding Defenseman for his division. He's not real big, but was last listed at 5'11"/155lbs and looks to have a feisty side. I think he could also go earlier on though.

If they could land one of those three players, I think they will have done really well. I would think there will be some shuffling from 6 through 15 on that list.

I noticed some players who had been rated higher most of the season are not in that 30. Last I read, Reid Perepeluk is quite offensive also at 6'1"/190lbs and has a good all around game. Showed really well at the Western Canada Bantam Championship too. His team mates, the Taphorn twins, also were rated higher before. Wonder why the drop?? Either way, it sucks that the Pats don't have a second round pick.

Looks like next years draft might be like 2013's as a couple kids named Kirby Dach and Peyton Krebs did some damage as 13 year-olds this season in Alberta. Dach led the AMBHL in scoring with 100pts and Krebs 66pts. Had similar (actually better) numbers as Benson and Steel when they were thirteen.

Bighat
05-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Even though john says he doesn't anticipate any moves I think he is going to make a couple trades at or before the draft. We have too much depth and not enough spots.

chopper
05-02-2015, 12:40 PM
The Pats need to be pretty astute in this draft since they have no picks in the 2nd, 4th or 5th rounds. They do however have two picks in the 3rd round. The best they can hope for at this point is 3 picks in the first 5 rounds. Not a great situation.

I believe the Pats could do one of two things; they could stay put and hope to get their guy at #14 However if their guy is taken or they get a great offer, they might move down a few spots and try to recoup a pick in the 2nd or 4th rounds. Perhaps also a 5th.

if some team really wants to move up a few spots for some reason, a deal could be made. They have two picks in the 3rd round they could manoeuvre with as well. IMO a lot will depend on whether or not they can get the player they really want.

If the Pats pick only what's at their disposal, they could pick 11 players over 12 rounds. With really only three overage guys gone, they will be forced to rework their protected list. It could mean dropping a good prospect or trading him so as to recoup an asset.

The Pats are now having to deal with a strong young returning lineup. Then they have a pretty deep list, many who will likely never get to suit up with them. These kids won't want to wait forever. Trading some assets may be the only option. On the other hand the Pats may be satisfied with taking only 6 or 7 kids in the draft so that they won't need to tinker too much with the list.

McMullen and his staff will really be challenged in this draft to find value picks in later rounds. They also need to make sure that we don't get too small as that's an issue that came up again this season and playoffs. Maybe a couple more like Wagner:)

Sttop
05-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I think focht may slip to the Pats pick. If not the next best Sask kid Would be Miller. Either should be nice.

chopper
05-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Today's award presented to Paddock is both a feather in the cap of the organization as well as John himself. Struch is an excellent coach and I hope he sticks around a few more years, and then takes over. Every year under John will make him better.

Struch will get some inquiries but I do hope that he remains here. Based on what I've been able to read it appears Chad Lang will entertain offers, and I'm sure he will get some.

The draft starts at 0830hrs tomorrow and has it been extremely quiet everywhere. The reporting surrounding this draft has been nearly non-existent.

Hopefully we can get a nice piece in the 1st round because we can't play again until the third. There is always a chance of some moves but it doesn't sound too probable according to Paddock.

patsdude114
05-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Here is my look at the roster for next season.....

RETURNING PLAYERS
Forwards (10)
Cooper '95
Brooks '96
Gabrielle '97
Wagner '97
Berg '97
Cole '97
Kroeker '97
McAmmond '97
Smith '98
Steel '98

Defensemen (6)
Williams '95
Harrison '96
Hobbs '97
Hilsendager '97
Zborovskiy '97
Krushen '98

Goalies (2)
Wapple '96
Brown '97

Going by with what names I mentioned above there is only 2-3 forward spots open and 1-2 defensemen spots open for the taking. I purposely left Hansen & Mortlock off my list because neither player will be here, I really hope Hansen gets traded before training camp cause he really deserves to be in the league just it wont be on the Pats.

My Bubble Players
McAmmond '97
Brown '97
Krushen '98

Players Who Have A Legit Chance To Make Team (my order of depth to crack roster)
Forwards
Leschyshyn '99 hes a lock but I'm not classifying him as a returning player as he was an affiliate player last year
Elmer '98 believe he is a lock
Woods '98 I think he has a great chance at making the team
Gardiner '99
Richards '98 he played AJHL this past season, not many 16yr olds play in that league to start with
Many Guns '98 his size is hard to pass up
Haden '99 I think his size will put him back in midget or in Jr. A

Defensemen
Schioler '98 if he finally commits
Pouteau '98
Freadrich '98 he played AJHL this past season, not many 16yr olds play in that league to start with
Lovell '98
Bruce '99 plays that physical style that we have lacked for the last 10yrs in this organization
Ewert '99 his size is very appealing at 6'2 at training camp last year

Goalies
Hollett '99
Chapman '98 I think if he shows well in camp/preseason he will be used as trade bait for a decent pick

This year we should get some longer looks at some younger guys in preseason due to us having a great chance of 5 guys being drafted this year and will attend NHL camps. It could make some decisions a bit tougher in the long run due to guys attending camps, these games will be even more important for the bubble players.

One other question that could be thrown out there is.....
Does Wapple get moved early in the season?

I thought Brown looked very strong all season long and got stronger later in the year. One would expect our defense will be better with our top 5 all being a year older which should help Brown that much more. So that makes me wonder if a tandem of Brown and Hollett would be more valuable for out franchise for the long haul and move Wapple for some type of an asset to a true league contender. But with that said too it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit either if Wapple is here all season long so we can give Brandon a run for their money come the 2nd round next year again.

chopper
05-06-2015, 09:39 PM
There are truly any number of things that could happen going forward with this Teams lineup. Schoiler's joining this team or not, will have a ripple effect on the lineup. There are a couple ways the goaltending could go and both would have their merits.

The import draft could have a profound effect if the Pats could ever land a high end impact player. One can only imagine what a Sherback type player could do for the team. It would certainly advance the program.

Then there is Paddock's comments that he would like to add a couple of 19 year olds so that he can compete better in the playoffs. If they were to add a couple 96's that would mean a couple of other players would be on the bubble.

Paddock has also stated that this years lineup could be younger than last. I don't see how that can work and be successful, but he's saying such. I sense this is a very fluid situation that could change a couple times or more before the team breaks camp this fall.

RWAH
05-06-2015, 10:11 PM
The first round (only) of tomorrows draft will be live streamed on the WHL web site. startes at 8:30

On the Tenders IMO Wapple will be moved so Brown and Howlett get more crease time. Fight guy is probably right that we start the season Wapple and Brown which gets Howlett prime time in Midget. In January trade Wapple and recall Howlett.
If the target seasons are 2016/17 and 2017/18 (2 and 3 years) keeping a 20 year old tender this season just postpones the younger tenders development and experience

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 09:27 AM
14th ovr
Dawson Barteaux Foxwarren, MB 6'0 160 D

Stats: 7goals 20assists 31gp

No surprise to me that we took a Dman with our 1st round pick

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Paddock has also stated that this years lineup could be younger than last. I don't see how that can work and be successful, but he's saying such. I sense this is a very fluid situation that could change a couple times or more before the team breaks camp this fall.

At first when he said this I was like 'that's not gonna help us in the long run' but then I actually thought for a few moments and our avg age is going to younger due to only having 5 players on our roster 19 or 20. I really do think Paddock is in the market for a 19yr old Dman who will be a 20yr old in this league, I'm not sold on Harrison much so I think Paddock is going to upgrade Harrison and add another 19yr old forward who will be a 20yr old with Brooks.

Like you also said though the Import Draft could really effect how our roster looks. I could see us drafting an 18yr old forward and just have him take McAmmond's spot in the lineup. I don't think McAmmomd brings enough to our roster to have a spot. He is a WHL calibre player just not on our roster as our depth is too strong. It wouldn't surprise me if he is moved today for a mid round pick.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 10:32 AM
anyone interested in following along the entire draft here is a link... you just need to refresh the page every couple mins..... its currently 2 picks into the 3rd round

http://www.whl.ca/draft/2015#round-3

Fight Guy
05-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I was really hoping for Tychonick and it got close, but Saskatoon had to go and ruin the day! Barteaux looks like a good choice though. I was looking into him a bit more just a few days ago and figured he could be a possibility. I'm thinking he may have been "their guy" also.

Not long now to find out our next two picks. Wouldn't be surprised if another defenseman is taken. I'm guessing and forward and a D-man.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 10:43 AM
On a ex- regina pat note....

Connor Gay was traded to the Blades today

Also the Rebels acquired Nikolishin from EVT

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Very risky pick with our 3rd rd pick (high risk high reward?)

58th overall
Bryan Lockner Windsor, CO 5'11 188lbs RW

Stats: 9goals 18assists in 13gp

62nd overall
Tyler Pryhitka Melville, SK 5'11 180lbs D

Stats: 6goals 7assists 84pim 26gp

Fight Guy
05-07-2015, 11:03 AM
This Bryan Lockner seems really risky, but maybe he has decent interest in the WHL? Sounds like he can play every position, too and is also a defenseman. Probably a huge pick if they can get the kid to commit.

That being said, a straight up defenseman was taken next in Pryhitka. Have only seen his name pop up a few times ever. Thought maybe the Pats would go with Perepeluk out of Yorkton, but seems he has dropped off throughout the season.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I think that Lockner pick is a high risk high reward type pick. The owners did say at that last townhall meeting they hired their 1st US Scout so hopefully he did his homework on this player and that this player has a desire to play in the WHL.

Not sure if Lockner was hurt this past season or if they just play that few of games, but he did avg 2points/game. He is also an early birthday in April and normally players develop that much quicker physically, look at Elmer for example all the talent in the world for his age group but he wasn't developed physically enough which was a big part due to his late birthday of Dec. 31st (its the small things lol)

chopper
05-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Geez these are two very unusual picks to say the least. I trust in McMullin but these are strange for sure. It's hard to find out much either of these guys. As you guys are saying it could be a risk/reward type scenario. I hope they got a strong commitment from them.

Considering we now have to sit the 4th and 5th rounds (AKA: Wagner) I sure hope they hit home runs with the two in the 3rd round. We don't pick again until the 6th round so it will be strictly gut instincts and value picks. Man it's tough to watch no picks for two rnds.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
126th ovr
Lukas Sillinger 5'4 128 Regina, SK Forward

Stats: 24goals 26assists 29gp

I'm assuming this is another one of Mike's sons but damn only 5'4 a quick glance he is so far the smallest player chosen in the draft. I hope that is a misprint

sbtatter
05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Did you guys see the blades haven't had a first round pick for the last 4 years?!

Fight Guy
05-07-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Wasn't Owen tiny when he was that age too?? Either way, I was pretty sure the Pats were going to end up drafting him, just didn't think this soon, but then again, it IS the 6th round...lol. I'm sure he's got some decent growing to do yet, but when I was looking into him earlier on this year, I gathered that he was pretty skilled and better than Owen. Here's to hoping he's the next Eberle!

Did you guys see the blades haven't had a first round pick for the last 4 years?!
I thought the same thing! Thinking back on it it's completely true, but forgot just how bad it was there! Things look pretty good for them this year though.

witness
05-07-2015, 11:58 AM
not a misprint. Mike is not a huge guy. Owen was a late grower and I would imagine that Lukas will be one as well.

Lukas is really skilled. I think this is a good pick.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Just searched Owen Sillinger from his draft year when he was picked in the 10th round by the Giants he was listed as 5'2 109lbs he is now 5'9 160 at age 17....

If Lukas can have a 7inch growth spurt in 2-3yrs that will put him at 5'11.... here's hoping to that

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 12:32 PM

its been a long time since the Blades have had a 1st round pick, the last time they picked in the 1st round was in 2010 where they selected Tim McGauley who was later traded to BRN in the Schenn deal.

In 2009 they selected Ryan Olsen who they traded to KEL after his 17yr old season.

The last 1st round pick to play his entire junior career in Saskatoon was in 2008 when Duncan Siemens was picked by the Blades.

So if you look back that is 7yrs worth for 1st round picks the Blades have traded in a row. Not a great way to run a junior franchise and they are suffering for it now.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Wow the Hitmen got a steal today in a trade... they traded for the rights to Andrew Fyten (who was Elmer's teammate at Edge Hockey School) for a conditional 6th rd pick in 2016.... Fyten had 22g22a in 62gp, Im thinking EVT couldn't get him to commit to the WHL but if the Hitmen can get him signed since he is a AB boy that's a steal for them

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 12:44 PM
146th ovr
Jack Lenchyshyn Steinbach, MB 5'10 168 D

Stats: 6goals 11assists 49pim

155th
Mackenzie Belinski Vista, MB 5'7 143 Forward (teammate of Barteaux)

Stats: 29goals 25assists 27gp

168th
Riley Krane Dawson Creek, BC 5'9 165 Center

Stats: 8goals 9assists 18gp

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Pats & Warriors make trade

Pats trade Zimmer to MJ for a 10th rd conditional pick in 2017

chopper
05-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Pats & Warriors make trade

Pats trade Zimmer to MJ for a 10th rd conditional pick in 2017

Really!! They may have as well given him for nothing. IMO that is far too weak of a return. This guy can actually play and a 10th rounder is more or less a laugher.

witness
05-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Sometimes it is about the kid.

Zimmer doesn't fit into the future plans. Way too many kids that are younger and have a better up side.

Good on Paddock for finding him a home so that he can play in the WHL.

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 01:43 PM
190th
Owen Williams Delta, BC 5'10 150 D (played in Notre Dame)

Stats: 5goals 7assists 46pim

212th
Max Paddock Brandon, MB 5'9 113 G (John Paddock's nephew)

Stats: 7-1-2 2.68GAA

And the Pats are now down selecting as they have passed in the 11th round

patsdude114
05-07-2015, 01:56 PM
14th ovr
Dawson Barteaux
Foxwarren, MB 6'0 160 D

Stats: 7goals 20assists 31gp

58th overall
Bryan Lockner
Windsor, CO 5'11 188lbs RW

Stats: 9goals 18assists in 13gp

62nd overall
Tyler Pryhitka
Melville, SK 5'11 180lbs D

Stats: 6goals 7assists 84pim 26gp

126th ovr
Lukas Sillinger
Regina, SK 5'4 128 Forward

Stats: 24goals 26assists 29gp

146th ovr
Jack Lenchyshyn
Steinbach, MB 5'10 168 D

Stats: 6goals 11assists 49pim

155th
Mackenzie Belinski
Vista, MB 5'7 143 Forward (teammate of Barteaux)

Stats: 29goals 25assists 27gp

168th
Riley Krane
Dawson Creek, BC 5'9 165 Center

Stats: 8goals 9assists 18gp

190th
Owen Williams
Delta, BC 5'10 150 D (played in Notre Dame)

Stats: 5goals 7assists 46pim

212th
Max Paddock
Brandon, MB 5'9 113 G (John Paddock's nephew)

Stats: 7-1-2 2.68GAA

chopper
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
This was an extremely challenging draft for the Pats with not having the number of top round picks as they would have liked. It appears they did as best they could and perhaps took a number of flyers on certain players. Hopefully we have found some gems.

Of interesting note; not a single player taken from Alberta.

4 - Manitoba
2 - Saskatchewan
2 - BC
1 - Colorado
Manitoba was very good to us this year. Very deep talent pool this year.

Next up is the Import Draft. It's our turn to hit the jackpot:)

chopper
05-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I've been monitoring the Pats website waiting to see the additions of the new picks. Waiting to see who has been moved or deleted from the protected list. Removing three 20's and Zimmer, by my calculation would still leave the Pats with 57 players.

They can put some guys on the College list I think, but the new picks will require some deletions. I expect the list will be updated soon. They also need to keep a spot open for an import. Unfortunately some good prospects will be deleted if no trades can be made.

patsdude114
05-09-2015, 12:32 PM
I got 56 with my count but I may of missed one too.

One would assume that Finlay & Koberstein have already been placed on the College List, I would also assume that Mortlock has been dropped completely as I don't see a reason to bring him back to camp next season just due to younger guys being able to fill the same role as him. Another guy I wont be surprised to see dropped is Mumby.

After those names it gets a little hairy in which way to go, if they move Hansen soon that would open up a spot and then only have 1 spot to drop (if my count is correct, if I missed 1 then that's 2 spots)..... We now have 5 goalies on our 50man list, one would assume that 1 of those are going off the list and I think the odd player out is Chapman. My reasoning for Chapman being the odd man out is the Pats brass is very high on Hollett I mean he has already played a game for us while we were in BC and it wasn't due to injury it was due to 'lets see what he can do' and I still think Hollett is on the team after camp and that leaves Paddock with a decision to make with Brown or maybe even taking offers on Wapple.

My reasoning behind possibly taking offers on Wapple and moving him is as simple as this.... our defense will all be a year older and will be better then it was this past season (just part of players getting older and more experienced) and its not like Brown is a bad goalie by any means with a better defense in front of him it will give him more a chance to grow into a better all around goalie. After seeing the terrible goaltending the Hitmen had against the Wheat Kings maybe the Hitmen would like a better goalie to help groom Dumba. It could make a lot of sense for the Hitmen too, neither Shields or Burke are good enough to be a 20yr old goalie in this league and they are both 95's... get rid of those 2 and they are only expected (2) 20yr olds to be returned (Peterson & Harmsworth) so that leaves a spot open. The Hitmen are losing 3 key 20yr olds but outside of that they will return their entire lineup except Kanzig, they will challenge for the division again and a good goalie like Wapple could be a difference maker.

Either way our Pats have to make some decisions between the pipes either before training camp or right after. Wapple, Brown & Hollett are all in the mix for crease time this year, and who knows maybe Brown has some good value there as he was very solid especially once we clinched 2nd and gave Wapple some rest time.

Fight Guy
05-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Couple last draft notes from me...

Although they went off the board a bit according to rankings, I like what they did. The defenseman they took have size and from what I read, all of these players are good skaters, which we all know is pretty key to Paddock's style. The forwards they took are smaller, but not REALLY small, with the exception of Sillinger, who of which I have a feeling is going to pan out nicely.

When I was researching players stats and size over the past couple months, there were two players I had a feeling they would draft. One, like I said a few days ago, was Sillinger. The next, was Max Paddock. I kind of went on the presumption there was relation to John, but was confirmed on draft day. Sounds like he was skeptical on taking him, but McMullen and company wanted to take him. When I read after that his dad is 6'7" and a recognized athlete, more notably volleyball I believe lol, I can see that they're projecting him to becoming a big, good moving goalie.

I also stumbled upon Jack Lenchyshyn a couple times as well, mostly because of his name popping out for obvious reasons, and thought he had decent size and stats. I laughed and got irritated when I saw the Pats actually drafted him!! If he does end up playing for the Pats in the future... Have fun play-by-play guys!!!

Was interesting to read that, I think, three of the players drafted can play both positions well also. Out of all the players drafted, I'm most interested in Lockner and what his plans are. It will suck if there is little interest out of him.

chopper
05-09-2015, 05:18 PM
I think the Pats will very likely move Wapple. If not in the off season, for sure by deadline. As the defence matures and stiffens, hopefully we can bring our shot count down per game. Brown should be able to handle 48 games and Hollett 24 games.

Last season Skinner handled a pretty good workload and Hollett is supposed to be of that ilk as well. Paddock wants a couple of extra 19 year olds. Me may have to settle for a 19 and a 20. If he moves Wapple he can fill that void by being creative.

Perhaps getting another 20 year old forward and a stout 19 year old d-man or visa-versa. Keeping a 20 year old in goal takes that option from him. Trying to acquire two quality 19 year olds will be both difficult and expensive.

With the year Mumby had in Jr "A" I would have thought that there might be some interest in him somewhere in the Central Division. However maybe not! Wapple would draw big interest and a big return IMO. Calgary might be still be playing if they a tender.

Listened to a podcast interview of Lockner. He said it would be an honour to be drafted to the Dub. He was noncommittal but didn't say no. His coach is Joe Sakic. A number of players from his team were drafted and will play WHL. Sakic's son was also drafted?

Own Sillinger was 5'2 when drafted and he is now 5'9. If Lukas sprouts 6 or 7 inches, he will be a steal ala; Ebs! The same with Belinski who scored 2 pts per game and 29 goals in 27 games. He is now 5'7 so who knows? Maybe two puck magicians.

Lenchshyn has a brother I believe playing for Lethbridge and I think he is around 6'1 so there is promise there. They are talking about young Paddock in terms of perhaps 6'5..got to like that in a athletic goalie. The rest of the picks have 6'0 potential or better.

Fight Guy
05-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I feel like Wapple should definitely be moved at some point, but not sure it will be the off season. Like Patsdude said, the defense will be a year older and they looked pretty good in the latter parts of last season. I would think a skilled 19 year old defenseman would be ideal, but I don't think they'll need to find another forward. They have plenty of skill up front that, I think, will have no problems putting the puck in the net. I know Paddock said he may want to add a couple '96's, but with next season theoretically being pegged as 'worse' than last season, I just don't think spending to upgrade for next season is the best plan. Makes me think of last regime trying to speed things up, though I have more faith in any player coming here and Paddock utilizing him well than I did with Parker's in charge with defensive minded coaches.

Moving Wapple would free up another 20 year old spot for another forward or defenseman as well. Something that has crossed my mind is if Wapple were to be traded before the season or very soon into it, I would honestly have no problem with Hansen being the third 20 year old with Williams and Cooper, but as a defenseman. The way he played on the back end last season and in the playoffs, I think keeping him around would be good. Wouldn't have to spend on another 19yo D-man and you'd get a nice return for Wapple. To put the needle back down on the broken record, I still feel Hansen would be a very good defenseman in the WHL if he had stayed a defenseman. Moose Jaw hurt his development moving him up front, I think. Patsdude says he deserves to play in the league, I just don't think it needs to be with another team.

If the following season is, in fact, when the Pats start making serious runs, they'll likely be looking for top '96s (20yo's) through trades and chances are they will be cheaper as 20's later on than 19's this season.

That scenario all hinges on Wapple though. Unless Paddock is able to upgrade Cooper. Cooper was great with the Pats in the second half, but when it came to playing with certain players and the playoffs, you could tell he was starting to have issues being effective. He had great chemistry with Steel and when he went down, so did Cooper a bit. Come playoff time, he would start off good, then he would fade as the games went on. Seemed like fatigue was playing a huge part in his performance. If I recall correctly, all second round in the third period, his skating would get really sloppy and he would be fighting himself badly. Perhaps that could change next season, but I'm thinking he may not be as safe as we all think. Chances are he sticks around, but won't be shocked if that changes. To me, Williams is the only true lock next season for '95s.

So, say Hansen were to stick around, the age and depth of the defense improves greatly. Even though we'd like to think Harrison is up in the air, I'm guessing he's around next year. He looked a lot better in the latter parts of this season and was moving the puck well. A year older and hopefully stronger, he may be alright. As a 20 in a couple years though... That's a different story.

In order of age...

Williams - Hansen
Harrison - Hobbs
Zborovskiy - Hilsendager
Pouteau - another prospect

I don't mind at all how that looks. There's so many possibilities though. I just really don't want to see Paddock go out and add 19's in favour of talented youth that can play now. Can't really see any big moves happening until Paddock knows what he has to work with this season.

Is there any word on Pats Spring Camp this year yet?

chopper
05-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Haven't seen anything posted up on spring camp but it should be pretty soon. I hadn't really been putting Hanson into the mix but unquestionably he is a handy guy to have around. IMO his defensive play is a bit sketchy. Nothing close to the +45 Williams put up.

The biggest issue with Hanson is the additional compensation they need to give MJ. In the Hanson/Rodwald deal the Pats are supposed to give MJ a conditional pick if Hanson plays as a 20 year old. If they give MJ back their 2017 10th round pick as compensation, that's fine. However if they have to give them something more valuable I would be pretty iffy on that. He's versatile but not exceptional at either position as an overage. Imo an overage has to bring something pretty special, and I'm not sure he does that.

I agree that Cooper did not look strong on the puck and faded as the games wore on. I wonder if it was conditioning/strength or just good old "want to". I also concur that Williams is the only lock at the 20 year old spot. Cooper will need to come back much stronger.

Paddock won't overpay for a player but he may need to add some grit up front, and perhaps a physical veteran presence on the back end.-

patsdude114
05-09-2015, 09:51 PM
I think. Patsdude says he deserves to play in the league, I just don't think it needs to be with another team.

Nope you are right it doesn't have to be with another team, if Paddock creates room for him here I have no problems with that at all. Hansen is a very reliable player who can play both defense and forward, he has a great slap shot from the point and he blocks a lot of shots. I didn't quote this part but I agree that Moose Jaw did screw with Hansen's development and would of been a great defenseman in this league had they kept him there, even if that meant him playing midget for 1 more year as a 16yr old.

Is there any word on Pats Spring Camp this year yet?

So far no word on spring camp, if I recall I previous years it has been the last weekend of May but don't quote me on that one.... Im thinking prob this week Phil will have some info on that

Paddock won't overpay for a player but he may need to add some grit up front, and perhaps a physical veteran presence on the back end.-

I personally don't think he needs to add grit up front at all, we have Gabrielle as well as a full season with Berg and I fully expect Wagner to be a move physical force once he attends his first NHL camp. Another guy who is going to add so much more to our group up front is Luc Smith, we seen what he brought in the 2nd round when he got more ice time and he didn't look out of place and the BRN defensemen had a tough time containing him. Then throw in another pest like player of Rykr Cole and if McAmmond sticks around his size and a year old he will bring a physical edge. Also if there is room for him on the roster we have 1 kid who I'm sure would become a fan favorite in Many Guns ;) ha I know we all want to see this kid in a Pats jersey just to see what he is all about.............

I do agree though that we could use a little more sandpaper on the backend but maybe Pouteau can bring that as a 17yr old, if he is anything close to what Hilsendager was this season I think we will be more then fine plus Brady moves the puck a lot better then Hilsendager. Also another quality Dman last year in camp was Pouteau's teammate William Lovell who was very physical at camp if I recall correctly.

Its finally nice to have a team where we can fill in holes from within instead of always having to look at other teams to see what we can add. I don't think Paddock will be in a rush to add any 96's he has until trade deadline to do so or he can just wait til a team has to unload 1 or 2 the following season due to only being allowed to carry (3) 20yr olds.s

chopper
05-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I have long said that Luc Smith was going to be a big presence for us some day. Lots of folks didn't think he should have even been here this last season, and he may be the toughest kid we have coming back. That's concerning.

The problem is Smith is still only 16 and coming into his 17 season. He doesn't have a Dyson Stevenson or Braden Christopher mean streak yet. He tried to be tough in PA got his nose broke in a fight for his efforts, so lots to learn. Wagner is big and fast but not a lot of natural grit in him. Rykr Cole is an agitator and is game but he got man handled pretty well every occasion and he was 17; he is not big enough for that role. Gabrielle is a very annoying caustic player with good size. His problem is he is pee poor with his fists and took a couple bad beat downs last year. McAmmond likely won't be here if the majority opinion prevails. Manyguns is big but young and doesn't come with a reputation as a hammer.

Nobody on the team brings what Christopher did or Stevenson before him. With a bunch of young and somewhat smaller new forwards they will most definitely need someone up front that can truly handle himself. Whether or not Paddock is successful in adding what he thinks he needs is still a question mark. I have no doubt he will try. In three different interviews he spoke of the need to add some 19 year olds and a couple more are needed particularly with a possibly even younger team. Rookies learn from vets, not other rookies. You need sufficient quality leadership.

Any good organization is built on your best young talent and appropriate add ons. It's not practical to think you can simply throw together a bunch of 16 and 17 year old players together and think you will have a winner in three years time. Good teams have to add pieces all the time and so will the Pats. They will not be able to fill every hole internally. This was a between year for Brandon but they still added Erkamps, Duke, Klimchuk, Gow, and I'm likely missing some. Kelowna added Morrisey, Southam, Braid, Draisatl, Qinnney, and again I'm sure I missed some. The Pats weren't the only team making trades and adding players. It's just others teams had more to add to.

The point is that even the best of teams add players at various times for various reasons. Both Brandon and Kelowna feel that next year was going to be their year. Yet when they performed well this year they added pieces. The Pats will add pieces they need to advance the program. They don't have and cannot add everything they need internally. The definitely need to add a 19 or 20 year old Christopher type to their forward pool.

I don't see Paddock paying too much to keep Hanson as a 20 year old. If he stays as an overage, we owe Moose Jaw a conditional pick. Everything will probably come down to the price.

chopper
05-10-2015, 09:07 AM
This is where the interview of Bryan Lockner took place. A lot of the talk from the team surrounding him is very positive. A former co-worker and current WHL scout told me this guy could really tilt the Pats fortunes should he decide to come here. Most teams were a little afraid of him going NCAA route, but was definitely 1st round bantam material.

WEHP Podcast 5 | Western Elite Hockey Prospects

patsdude114
05-10-2015, 02:12 PM
This is where the interview of Bryan Lockner took place. A lot of the talk from the team surrounding him is very positive. A former co-worker and current WHL scout told me this guy could really tilt the Pats fortunes should he decide to come here. Most teams were a little afraid of him going NCAA route, but was definitely 1st round bantam material.

WEHP Podcast 5 | Western Elite Hockey Prospects

http://westernelitehockeyprospects.com/bantam-prospects/wehp-podcast-5.html

his interview starts at 4:55

Fight Guy
05-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I don't think I've ever questioned Smith's spot on the team this season as, I too, feel he is going to be a huge piece moving on. Every time he got added opportunity this season, he ran with it and was able to show his skills more. The playoffs showed it even more. He got some really good scoring opportunities against Brandon, which we didn't see from him a whole lot with limited ice time and playing lower on the depth chart. I would bet next season is a breakout season for him. I also have no worries about Smith and his ability to fight and stick up for team mates. The way he throws punches, he'll be breaking a few noses himself throughout his career. I don't see him having trouble handling too many guys. I'm excited to see how hard he works over the summer and how much bigger and stronger he gets.

Guys like Cole and Gabrielle may not fair so well when fighting, but after this past season, I don't really see that being a huge attribute going forward. I'm not saying a lack of toughness is better for business, but considering how much fighting happened last season, I just don't see the Pats needing a tough, older forward to fill a 'tough guy-ish' type role. Especially after seeing the way the whole team stepped up physically in the playoffs, I see a lot of team toughness all around and don't think it's direly needed.

I know any good team goes out and adds the older pieces they need, but comparing the Pats to Brandon and Kelowna at this point is a bit off, I think. Yes, this wasn't supposed to be Brandon's year, but they didn't go out and add Klimchuck and Gow in the off season. They got them when they knew how good they were and wanted to make a run.

If Paddock can make a good trade for another '96 or a better '95 forward, I won't be too upset. If he has to pay out the ass though, that will get me. Brandon wouldn't have gotten Erkamps and Duke had they not been so available and not really expensive. If the Pats can do something similar with '96s, forward or D, that should/will undoubtedly be 20's the following season, then I can't argue that too much, as right now Brooks is the only player I see being around for sure come 2016/17. Brandon has been pretty effing fortunate the past few years and the team they have built will be one that is hard to be compared to in the future and also the past.

Kelowna added the players they did because of the same reason. They pretty well knew that a month into the season. These players were all bought for a run.

If the Pats end up in that kind of position next season, I will be shocked and ecstatic. Otherwise, I feel biting the bullet one more season is the better route.

As for Hansen... From Alan's blog

September 18, 2013: Regina trades Jack Rodewald and a conditional 2016 6th round pick to Moose Jaw for Carter Hansen. The conditions on the pick are that Hansen must be in the WHL after the overage cutdown date in 2015-16.Not sure if that specifically means the WHL or just the Pats, but a 6th rounder, in my books, isn't a huge price if Hansen is kept around. Going to be paying a lot more to acquire a good '96 D-man.

As for being a 20 in the Dub, not many had Christoffer and D'Amico doing as well as they did this past season, yet they stepped up and proved their worth. I find Hansen's defensive game to be much better than his offensive game and I thought he showed it more and more as he played his original position more and more. If he were around next season, he would be a great leader and a veteran presence and experience that we're looking for. Not to mention, he doesn't really want to play anywhere else and if he had the chance, he would run with it, I'm sure.

While I do believe the Pats have some decent assets they could use to get some good older players, I don't think anything big will happen till after camps when it's known what they're working with. Unless, of coarse, Paddock can make a good deal earlier. If you start dipping into the '97 talent, then these older players may be more attainable, but only a handful of them are really touchable in my mind.

RWAH
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Just spoke to the Pats office and the prospect camp is May 30 and 31 with ice time 10:00 to 12:00 at the Co-operators Centre First chance to see Many Guns

chopper
05-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I think the situation with the Pats roster for the upcoming season is pretty fluid right now. I have no doubt they will add some genuine toughness, but it's difficult to say at what point, and how. They're at roughly the same point Brandon and Kelowna were this season.

They have a number of rookies that I think should be on the team and only a few spots open. They will need a presence and it will require adjustments to their roster in order to get to that point.

I'm not convinced that anyone other than Williams is a lock at an overage spot. Taylor should have been but his weak play down the stretch and in the playoffs is concerning. Wapple's status is still in the air IMO. He could fill draft holes or bring back a real good player(s). His spot could be used by a forward or d-man.

Here is the thing with Hanson. They would have to give MJ a 6th round pick in 2016 except they don't have a 6th round pick in 2016. In fact next year at draft time they don't have a 1st, 3rd or 6th round pick and are going to be hurting again with lost picks. Other than deferring it, I don't see them trading for one to give MJ. The following year (2017 draft) we're missing our 3rd and 7th so giving up a 6th then would be hard. I suppose they could but it doesn't make much hockey sense IMO. Hanson has some versatility but can we afford the price considering our already short draft situation? Also kids like Hilsendager at 17 are providing more.

IMO we may need to work with dispensable roster and list players. Not everyone we had listed will play for us therefore we may need to make some creative trades to get what we need. Anything else will be challenge. Paddock did say getting through this year and next (2016 draft) was going to be difficult.

I don't know why but I'm interested to see this Many Guns kid as well. His size for sure but maybe his interesting name. It will be worth noting who attends and who doesn't, although it's not the end all be all. I am really hoping this years import draft yields a gem.

patsdude114
05-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I don't think Many Guns will be at the spring camp at all. If the past spring camps are any indication it has always been for the past 2 drafts so in this case it would be only for the 1999 & 2000 draft class or list players. The whole point of the Spring Camp in past years has been to get the new draft class acquainted with the past draft class so they are not coming in blind for rookie camp.

As much as I would love to see Many Guns just like the rest of us I don't see him being here just due to his 1998 birth year.

RWAH
05-14-2015, 03:32 PM
PD114 you are right I knew the spring camp is just for the last two draft classes and any special prospects they invite. So we can hope the brain trust could invite Many Guns. I think it was two years ago they had a 17 year old american player, can't remember his name, he made opening day roster but did not stick the year. The long and the short is we probably won't see Many Guns until August.

sbtatter
05-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Many guns has to make the team, solely on the basis of that name! I think you can do better than cooper as an overager. Bdn will need to dispense of a couple, erkamps maybe, and lisoway. If bukarts came back, he would be available. I don't see regina taking a Bdn overager, but if a Bdn guy was traded to the west that might free up another overager for you.
Smith will be a beauty for you guys, IMO. Should be an awesome battle between these two teams for the east division next season.

nivek_wahs
05-16-2015, 12:53 PM
PD114 you are right I knew the spring camp is just for the last two draft classes and any special prospects they invite. So we can hope the brain trust could invite Many Guns. I think it was two years ago they had a 17 year old american player, can't remember his name, he made opening day roster but did not stick the year. The long and the short is we probably won't see Many Guns until August.Henry Hardarson.

RWAH
05-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Hey guys any thoughts of Chad Lang to fill the GM in PA. IMO the talent the Pats have now (except the deadline deals) are the result of Chads hard work.
Would it be a step up, down or sideways for Chad?

RWAH
05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
after sleeping on this and without doing a lot of research anyone going to PA should look good in the short term. One they now have a quality coach in place and from the Morrisey and Leon D trades they should be set for up and coming talent and draft picks.
The tough part may be keeping the fan and business base involved and committed but that should be easier as the hockey product improves.
Would it be seen as a step down for Chad L to move from the oldest junior franchise to the second smallest?

chopper
05-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Hey guys any thoughts of Chad Lang to fill the GM in PA. IMO the talent the Pats have now (except the deadline deals) are the result of Chads hard work.
Would it be a step up, down or sideways for Chad?

I would think that Lang would do a very capable job for the Raiders. His resume is quite good and he certainly knows and understands the WHL. Since he,s being pushed out of hockey operations in Regina, if he were to get that position it would definitely be a step up.

I do however think that at this point the front runner in PA would be Habscheid himself. He did the same two rolls in Chilliwack, and wanted both rolls when he was up for the Regina job years ago. I would be surprised if he doesn't assume both rolls in PA.

If Habscheid doesn't take on that roll, it would be a good fit for Lang IMO. He did a good job in Regina considering he wasn't the person actually driving the bus. Given a free hand I think he would work tirelessly and do good things for the Raiders.

RWAH
05-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Chopper: "I do however think that at this point the front runner in PA would be Habscheid himself. He did the same two rolls in Chilliwack, and wanted both rolls when he was up for the Regina job years ago. I would be surprised if he doesn't assume both rolls in PA."
The PA president has stated that Habscheid will not be considered as they want the two positions separate. That is not cast in stone but it appears they are leaning to keep them separate.

patsdude114
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
I would like Lang to get that job in PA, he has already made 2 East Division clubs better during his time in each place. He pulled a major deal like a day or 2 before the draft and he landed Howden with the 1st pic and then also acquired the pick to draft McIlrath which were major pieces in their playoff run a few years ago (last time they made it) sadly they canned Lang before that season (he got a raw deal) and they haven't been good since.

I think Lang could the right guy for the Raiders, he experience both with a small market team and a bigger market team.

witness
05-18-2015, 02:54 PM
I have heard that Brandon is kicking at Lang's tires.

chopper
05-18-2015, 03:24 PM
I hadn't heard that PA was going to divide responsibilities but if that's a fact , Lang will be heavily considered for the position IMO. They will likely also look at assistant GM's of very successful franchises. Since Habschied was just given a long deal, it will need to be somebody he is comfortable with as well. The Brandon thing may have some traction as he worked for them during their last Memorial Cup appearance, just before he took the Regina job.

I don't think there is too much doubt that he will surface somewhere in a hockey capacity.

Bighat
05-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Prince Albert is actually larger than Moose Jaw, I'll ask chad when I see him. I don't know though he has a pretty good job right now.

booboo
05-18-2015, 05:51 PM
I have heard that Brandon is kicking at Lang's tires.
Not too sure why Brandon would be kicking tires on Lang. Where would he fit in?

patsdude114
05-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Prince Albert is actually larger than Moose Jaw, I'll ask chad when I see him. I don't know though he has a pretty good job right now.

don't think anyone is questioning PA is bigger then MJ (by 7,000 people roughly).... but they are both considered small market teams

RWAH
05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
I am having problems posting hope this works now

RWAH
05-28-2015, 03:04 PM
New and renewed tickets at the early bird dead line was 2145 or 86.1 percent renewal Don't know what the renewals in past years were, but a 14 percent decrease should be worrisome to QCS&E.
Just some info but always interested in others posts

I think my problem was the old percentage key!!!

patsdude114
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM
i think they are going to see that these big price increases for tickets are pushing the season ticket holders & walk up's away. We haven't won jack ***** yet to see this type of an increase.

witness
05-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Guys that I am looking forward to seeing this weekend are:
Dalton Ossman, Riley woods and Lukas Sillinger. All small, but pretty skilled guys.

And Liam Schioler on defense.

RWAH
06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Just one more thing on Season tickets. For the coming season Lethbridge has in the books a 25 percent increase in season ticket holders. The Pats have a 14 percent decrease. Lethbridge has a zone system with youth and senior discount the Pats have a more "professional" zone system but no discounts.

RWAH
06-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Pats name Brad Herauf to coaching staff: IMO that is a good hire for both the Pats and for Brad. Brad has the winning track record and is a local boy and for Brad it could be a very good stepping stone to be an under study of Paddock and Stauch two of the best in the WHL The Pats should have a winning record for the next few years and that should see some other WHL teams head hunt our assistant coaches
As always interested in others posts!!

RWAH
06-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Moose Jaw Warriors ( with the less "professional" ticket system of youth and senior tickets) have a 11 percent increase in season ticket sales and now have sold more than the Regina Pats at the end of the early bird period. their number is 2154 and the Pats are 2145. QCS&E hope you see the error in the more "professional " system you implemented this season. Moose Jaw 11 percent up. Regina 14 percent down. There is more than on ice performance to have a successful WHL franchise, just ask Kootnay
As always interested in others posts!!

dsquared
06-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Do the Pats have any picks in the 2015 Euro draft?

RWAH
06-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Do the Pats have any picks in the 2015 Euro draft?
I think they have one to replace Padikin

RWAH
06-25-2015, 05:10 PM
here is a quick look at the schedule. Days of the week Mon 1 game, Tues - 2, Wed - 3, Thur - 1, Fri - 13, Sat - 8, Sun - 8. Feb 29 is a day game (11:30 I think) on a school day must be trying the school extra curricular thing as Stoon did and get 2 or 3 or 4 thousand students. There are three extended road swings this season (Oct 11 to 26) 5 road games through Alberta. (Nov 17 to Dec 09) 9 games through Alberta and East division. Jan 03 to 23 6 games the US and Kootnay. All Sunday games moved to 4:00 pm start. Good that only 7 non week end games. not good is after Christmas break think we have 2 home games then away for 20 days, at the trade deadline, May need to play some of those games with John Paddock here on the phones, not that Dave Stouch can not handle the team.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-27-2015, 10:55 AM
congrats on the pats who have been selected so far. I wouldn't have guessed Z would've been the first pat to go. Third round selection by the Rangers.

Id be surprised if anymore draft eligible pats went...

also, Im sure nobody is surprised Gabrielle went to the Bruins.

RWAH
06-27-2015, 11:01 AM
also drafted Wagner to LA in the 4th round and Hobbs to Washinton in the 5th round

Fight Guy
06-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Colby Willaims goes 173rd to Washington!!

patsdude114
06-27-2015, 12:09 PM
First off I want to say... is this site still under construction or is this how its going to be shown from here on out? if this is how the site stays I don't think ill be posting much on it cause right now the site blows.

So the Pats get 5 players selected today into the NHL and I'm not gonna lie was completely thrown off by the 1st Pats player selected in Zborovskiy going to the NYR at 79th overall. If someone would of told me yesterday that Sergey was going to get drafted 20 selections ahead of Wagner I would of laughed in their faces and said they were an idiot to even think that, but lone and behold that is exactly what happened as Wagner was drafted 99th overall to the LA Kings (steal?) One thing I do believe Wagner needs to work on more is finishing his checks, for his size and speed he needs to be more physical to become more intimidating. I really liked seeing Gabrielle going to the Bruins I think he will fit in well with that organization.

The Capitals really surprised me with taking both Hobbs and Williams, I never expected Williams to be drafted at all especially since the Caps could of just signed him as a free agent at the end of the draft. But with that said maybe Washington liked him a lot but didn't want to sign him right away and this gives them another 2yrs to sign him (well 1 year of junior then they got to make up their minds where he plays after that). I don't expect Williams to go to the AHL or ECHL just cause he is drafted I think this is all part of Washington's plans to see how he progresses more during his last year with the Pats.

RWAH
06-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Im with you PD114 not sure I like the new site but sure will get the hang. Like the first page with the most recent post and the direct link to the post. About the draft was also surprised the Brandon's Ryan Pilon was not picked until the 5th round.
Now a couple of days to the import draft, Paddock said he would be checking his contacts in the NHL to get a handle on a good prospect, so might see a good one this year.

dsquared
06-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Colby Willaims goes 173rd to Washington!!

Too bad trhe Pats site hasn't included Colby's status on their Site yet ....

chopper
06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
I truly think that five drafted players bodes well for the upcoming season and future of the team. A little surprised at Berg not being taken but I'm sure he will get his shot next draft, and maybe Brooks as well. Now it would be nice if we could hit a home run with the import draft. A dynamic forward would be nice.

patsdude114
06-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Now a couple of days to the import draft, Paddock said he would be checking his contacts in the NHL to get a handle on a good prospect, so might see a good one this year.

I was thinking about this long ago that with Paddock having so many NHL contacts that he will get a great scouting report on many import kids and who will actually want to come across the pond to play junior hockey. It would be nice to get that real impact import that can score 30+ goals

patsdude114
06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Pats select with the 41st pick...

Nikolay Knyzhov D 6'1 170 1998

Last season he played with the Pho. Jr. Coyos 16 his stats were 24gp 1g3a 16pim

Here is a video clip of a goal he scored while creating a turnover for a breakaway.... fast forward to 55second mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv04InDQndg

chopper
06-30-2015, 11:41 AM
This pick is interesting on a couple levels. Being a big kid and an import, there will be spot for him to lose. They didn't draft him not to play. That adds to the logjam of good young D-men we have in our stable. Not even including Schoiler we are pretty deep on the back end. There is no doubt that somewhere along the continuum the Pats will need to move some bodies out from the d-men pool. It's a bit surprising they didn't opt for a forward being aware of the glut of d-men. If Williams is back it will tough make it on the Pats defence corps, and it just got tougher. The plot thickens

patsdude114
06-30-2015, 12:22 PM
From Paddock's comments on the website it sounds very promising that we will be seeing him at training camp.

“This is a rarity for the import draft in that our scouts had an opportunity to see Nikolai multiple times throughout the season,” said Regina Pats Head Coach and GM John Paddock. “We know he wants to come play junior hockey in Canada so it made the pick much easier. We look forward to seeing him in Regina for training camp in August.”

It sounds like Knyzhov will be here in the fall and yes it does create a log jam on our defense which will be pretty deep especially if Williams is back (which I fully expect) but with that said it opens up a trade where we can fill in a weakness. If Schioler does commit and does play with us this season and beyond our defense has never looked bigger or more promising during my entire 30yrs as a fan of the Pats. Throw in Pouteau along with Knyzhov & Schioler our depth in the '98 age group on defense is just as deep if not deeper then the '97 age group on defense. I am a firm believer you can never have enough depth on defense and Paddock is pushing that to its limits.

RWAH
06-30-2015, 12:26 PM
First off congrats to Patrick D'Amico on invite to NY Islanders prospect camp.
Like this pick as Paddock reports he wants to play Jr. hockey in Canada, Has size and is only 17 and played two years in North America. Does this add to the option of Brown as the #1 tender as the D should be strong, Wapple should fetch a pretty fair return in the trade market. Just thinking out loud!

patsdude114
06-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Defense is finally a strength within our organization, it has taken some time but it is finally there. Lang & Scouting staff started the process to build it into a strength along with getting bigger in general. Its very interesting to see which way the Pats go in the crease, with Wapple it gives us a clear cut choice as a #1 goalie and I believe with Wapple and our returning roster that we will challenge Brandon for that top spot in the division but I think we will still fall a bit short. I think our defense matches up very nicely against Brandon's offense though.

I posted this on the Pats Facebook page today....

I remember when Lang took over as the GM he said we need to get bigger and he has done just that which is now carrying over into Paddock's time as GM.... Lang is responsible for every guy except Hobbs & Knyzhov (I don't think Williams either besides Williams breaking into the league as Lang as GM)

Williams- 6'0 195
Hilsendager- 6'1 195
Zborovskiy- 6'4 198
Hobbs- 6'1 190
Knyzhov- 6'2 186
Pouteau- 6'2 185
Schioler- 6'3 189 (if he commits)
Krushen- 6'2 170
Harrison- 6'1 190

patsdude114
06-30-2015, 01:05 PM
stupid edit feature doesn't even work on this new site for me.... I really dislike this new site, anyone know how to create a forum that is more user friendly for us Pats fans only? lol

chopper
06-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Absolutely thrilled to see Graham Tuer back with the Pats. He is such a local hockey treasure that seeing him with a Kelowna jacket was just wrong. Allowing him to get away was one of the most foolish things the Parkers ever did. This was something long over due.

dsquared
06-30-2015, 07:26 PM
John Paddock on Drafting Nikolai Knychov (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mHQV0bGWg)

patsdude114
07-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Some Pats news....
Ex-Regina Pat Pavel Padakin has signed an AHL deal with Philadelphia's farm team
https://twitter.com/PhilTheThrill18/status/617100196804100096

Pats sign 2 prospects...
Zach Cox & Jared Freadrich- I fully expect Freadrich to be making the Pats this season as I see him ahead of Krushen... A lot will most likely determine what happens with Schoiler though.
http://www.reginapats.com/article/pats-sign-pair-of-skaters

And here is an article incase anyone missed it from the LP on the newly selected Russian defenseman Nikolai Knyzhov
http://www.reginapats.com/article/harder-russian-blueliner-eager-to-join-pats

dsquared
01-03-2024, 10:55 AM
Well welcome back everyone and a happy 2024! I am glad to see the forum is back up - I have missed it!

The Pats are officially in a rebuilding cycle with the trades made this week. I have a couple of thoughts:

1) Was trading Howe off the table to start with - surely we could have got some prospects and draft picks?

2) What happened to Suzdalev -Somewhere I heard he only played in 13 games in the first half of the AHL season?

3) Do we have a first round draft pick in the main draft in 2024?