PDA

View Full Version : Bad News on Bronco Euro Pick

Scout
08-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Read this on Bronco Euro pick Richard Lelkes:

Not drafted
Richard Lelkes, the highly talented winger from Trencin who was ranked 54th by ISS went undrafted by all 30 NHL clubs. 6’2, 210+ pound wingers with great hands and offensive ability rarely last past the third round unless they have issues. This is precisely the reason why Lelkes wasn’t even taken in the seventh round.
Lelkes once appeared to be the top Slovakian forward prospect out of the 2005 crop, but constant fights with coaches and teammates pushed down his stock drastically during the second half of the season. If Lelkes can ever get rid of his 10-cent head, he has the potential for a JP Dumont type of career.

Lelkes was selected by the Swift Current Broncos ninth overall in the CHL Import Draft, but he told the Slovakian media that he would not come to the CHL if Trencin offered him a pro contract for next season.

So it is unsure if he will report. Makes it even less likley he will report if he was not drafted.

Scout

CHtoo
08-01-2005, 05:11 PM
We might as well forgo the Euro draft. In ten years what have we realy had? Kohn?

Flathead
08-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Igor Valeev(sp) who we gave up on. Then he went to the OHL and won rookie of the year.

Why wouldn't this Lelkes kid want to come to the best junior league in the world and try to show the scouts that passed him up, that he can play a serious game? Or do we want him if he's a real head case? Sounds like he could be long lost relative to Slade!

But have to agree CHtoo, we have not had much come from the Euro draft lately :dead:

CHtoo
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
How could I have forgot him? I really liked him when he was here. Boris Leckovic reminds me of him somewhat.

Toswammi
08-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I was wondering about this kid in the draft. I guess nobody doubts he has the talent to play put his head gets in teh way. Whether it is being lazy or a head case whatever. If he comes to swift ( and he should as it is the best league to develop for the NHL perios) i feel he will get his head straighted out.
Sounds like a player, would be nice to see him come but not cause he didnt get what he wanted in Europe, but cause he wanted to be here.

Broncs in RD
08-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I thought the jobs of scouts were to find talent plus find out the backgrounds of these players. Obviously we need better scouting, why pick a player who has talent, a big head and a possibility of him not coming over to Canada to play. It blows my mind how many crappy euro's we have chosen. Almost every team in the dub has a euro that is one of their best scorers or playmakers. Our euro's have been 3rd liners at best. I really hoped that the new managemnet would have addressed our needs in scoring with a great euro. Another note...all we have heared was that there were going to be wholesale changes in players there has been not 1 deal made yet. Is Dean the guy???

wango tango
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I thought the jobs of scouts were to find talent plus find out the backgrounds of these players. Obviously we need better scouting, why pick a player who has talent, a big head and a possibility of him not coming over to Canada to play. It blows my mind how many crappy euro's we have chosen. Almost every team in the dub has a euro that is one of their best scorers or playmakers. Our euro's have been 3rd liners at best. I really hoped that the new managemnet would have addressed our needs in scoring with a great euro. Another note...all we have heared was that there were going to be wholesale changes in players there has been not 1 deal made yet. Is Dean the guy???

most whl teams rely on nhl info from various sources when drafting euro's. if the broncos are picking poor euro's is it a lack of top level and reliable contacts in the nhl to blame?

i wouldn't be worried about changes yet. one of the biggest obstacles i've heard recently in the trades area is asking prices. hunter is probably the most frequently inquired about, but so far the best being offered up are bantam picks. shultz also has marketability, but again what's being offered back isn't a fair deal.

Toswammi
08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Heydont anybody worry about trades. I think the biggest obsticle to some deals was the NHL. With word that it may be on and now we now its relaunching all teams have an idea of how is coming back, and any new needs. Now that they have a good idea of what is going on i think some moves will be made. You also will probably have to wait untill training camp for deals as the GMs, have a pretty good idea of what they have to offer or holes to fill. Wait about a month, and if nothing is done, then we can start questioning.

Ms. Hockey
08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Yah, most teams do rely on NHL info for drafting euros. But not us, we spend the money to send Eldon Moberg over there...what a waste.

Willis on the Welfare
08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Before we get back on the bash Eldon bandwagon and start questioning if Dean is right for the job let's look at what very easily COULD have happened;

An NHL team takes a chance on Lelkes, he goes 2nd round then reports to Swift where he scores 35 goals and helps Swift into the playoffs. That very easily could have happened. Kudos to the Broncos for taking a chance. If Lelkes would have worked out (which very easily could have happened) it would have made Chynoweth, Hunchak and even Eldon look like geniuses.

The biggest risk in life is not taking risks, maybe this one didn't pan out, but the fact we're willing to try and get capable euros is a good statement.

wango tango
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Heydont anybody worry about trades. I think the biggest obsticle to some deals was the NHL. With word that it may be on and now we now its relaunching all teams have an idea of how is coming back, and any new needs. Now that they have a good idea of what is going on i think some moves will be made. You also will probably have to wait untill training camp for deals as the GMs, have a pretty good idea of what they have to offer or holes to fill. Wait about a month, and if nothing is done, then we can start questioning.

wait until the end of august early september when training camp starts before deals begin. unless i'm mistaken, and somebody correct me if i am, then all teams are frozen from making deals right now. doesn't mean they can't talk, just can't officially do anything.

Scout
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree with Willis on that one. Teams have to take a chance on Euro's and go for the best available at the time. There is no sence wasting a Euro spot on a mediocre Euro that would prob. come to North America but not have the skills to play in the Dub. Lelke's was the best Euro at the time. He was projected second round in the N.H.L. draft and could very well still play in the N.H.L. some day. Besides he never said he won't report,he said if he is offered a pro contract by Trencin for next season he will stay home. It's not just the Bronco's that get Euro's who don't work out. Alot of teams have mediochre to poor Euro's.

Scout

Oh-Vee
08-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Personally I like the pick. The Bronco's don't need another 3rd line player. We have a roster full of them. We need top line talent and we need it now. If Dean wastes a pick on a guy that will come over for sure and then play 7 minutes every other night all that is doing is taking away from the development of a 17 year old.

We have prospects and projects galore!! The Bronco's right now wanted to hit a home run in the early innings. If you strike out so what there is always next inning.

Safe picks are for teams that can't afford to miss. The Bonco's can afford to miss on this one because the euro draft is such a crap shoot that anything you get is a bonus IMO.