PDA

View Full Version : 2015-2016 Giants schedule.

Knuckles Muldoon
06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Just had a look at the schedule.....what a mess.

Key annoyances include:

Only 5 Saturday home games, while 17 on Friday? They play more home games on Wednesday than they on Saturday!

Between Dec.5 and Jan.3 the Giants play 12 games....all against Victoria, Everett and PG, including 4 in a row against Victoria.

It looks like a monkey made this schedule up.

Am I alone on this?

SectionNDeserter
06-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Only 5 Saturday home games, while 17 on Friday? They play more home games on Wednesday than they on Saturday!Friday and Saturday games are a WHL team's 'money games'. Games on these nights tend to have a higher attendance, due to families being more likely to lug their kids to the game, when they don't have to get them up for school the next day, or in some cases get themselves up for work the next day. 22 Friday/Saturday games? Nothing wrong with that.

Between Dec.5 and Jan.3 the Giants play 12 games....all against Victoria, Everett and PG, including 4 in a row against Victoria.Looked at a random sampling of WHL teams, over the last three seasons, and they all play 11 or 12 games in that time period every season, so the number isn't really that outrageous. The four straight games against Victoria is a little unusual, however I suspect it is due to the availability dates that Vancouver and/or Victoria had given the league prior to the schedule being generated.

OldGiantsFan
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
On the WHL website mention is made that the average of Friday games is 29.9% league wide. The Giants percentage of Friday night games is almost 50% of our home games. How come? I have to admit by Friday I'm tired from a long week, traffic is always horrible on Friday nights, and I don't like the late start and getting home so late afterwards. Just out of curiosity, I checked the Kamloops Friday games. They have a total of 9 for the coming season. I'm inching closer and closer to giving up my season tickets.

Giantsfan
06-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure why there are so little Saturday night games. I'm not a fan of Sunday games because I like to just stay home on Sundays.

They have to have the late start on Fridays because of the traffic. Especially if it's raining, it can be a gong show.

The city finally put a left turn signal at the corner of McGill & Renfrew something I've been wanting for years.

Knuckles Muldoon
06-24-2015, 08:28 PM
On the WHL website mention is made that the average of Friday games is 29.9% league wide. The Giants percentage of Friday night games is almost 50% of our home games. How come? I have to admit by Friday I'm tired from a long week, traffic is always horrible on Friday nights, and I don't like the late start and getting home so late afterwards. Just out of curiosity, I checked the Kamloops Friday games. They have a total of 9 for the coming season. I'm inching closer and closer to giving up my season tickets.

Exactly...I much prefer Saturday games. It just allows for a more relaxed night as opposed to rushing around after work on Friday. I don't know, maybe Toigo has a strong preference for Fridays? I've never really noticed Friday vs Saturday attendance disparities. The number this year is far too lopsided and is further alienating me from Giants hockey.

Giantsfan
06-24-2015, 08:54 PM
The sparse crowds make you feel alienated about the Giants? Sorry, not sure what you mean.

Knuckles Muldoon
06-24-2015, 11:38 PM
The sparse crowds make you feel alienated about the Giants? Sorry, not sure what you mean.
Where did I mention sparse crowds? The disparity in the number of Friday vs Saturday games is what I'm getting at.

Giantsfan
06-25-2015, 01:05 AM
Ah, sorry, I see what you are talkin about. Did you renew?

Priceisright
06-25-2015, 04:45 PM
We had more than 5 Saturday night games last year correct? I prefer Saturday night as well. More relaxed. I guess they can't keep all fans happy. They have many teams etc to try and please.

But Saturday's work better for me.

I have a suspicion this might be the last yea at the PNE anyways.

Giantsfan
06-26-2015, 09:16 AM
They haven't even purchased a spot in Surrey for the new arena but it is inevitable. A couple years left at the Coliseum unless Toigo chooses to move the team to Langley as a temporary solution. Doubt that happens.

Priceisright
06-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Aww just thought lease was up at PNE after this year? Guess they could renew for a year?

scrunt
06-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Fridays are my preferred night, so loading up those dates works for me. Wednesday is the night I play hockey, so I always miss those Giants games; the fewer Wed games the better. Saturdays nights and Sunday afternoons are good, but not too often, or I can't get away for the weekends.

So one of the few things I like about the current situation is the schedule... other than a zillion games against Victoria.

Hey, here is an idea! Each visiting team gets a tap take-over at the craft beer stand. Victoria could bring beer from Driftwood, Phillips, Lighthouse, and/or Spinnakers. Everett, Seattle and Portland would be even better. Fewer visits by WHL teams from Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba would not be such a disappointment then.

Swando
06-27-2015, 01:01 AM
I think you will see the Surrey Giants in the next 3-4 years

Giantsfan
06-27-2015, 08:38 AM
I don't think it'll be 4 yrs. My guess is 2 yrs left at the Coliseum. I love the Coliseum, always have, but for me it's a bit of a drive & parking is too expensive & the arena is just so empty almost every game. There have been some really sparse crowds of a couple thousand regardless of the announced attendance. They want to be on the skytrain route & the population of Surrey will soon surpass Vancouver.