PDA

View Full Version : Lambert resigns as coach

Scout
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
What happened here? Only 4 weeks till camp opens and he resigns. Anyone know what happened?

Lane Lambert Will Not Return as Head Coach of the Cougars
Created: Aug 2, 2005

Prince George, BC - The Prince George Cougars today announced that Lane Lambert will not be returning as head coach of the Prince George Cougars. Due to circumstances beyond our control Lane has decided to pursue other coaching opportunities. This was not a scenario that we wanted but we understand his situation of wanting a coaching job in the USA.

There are some excellent candidates available and we are excited to have the opportunity to hire a new coach that is committed to our program, our city, our fans and our players. We realize training camp is just around the corner but we feel we have ample time to fill the position with a dynamic, proven coach.

Scout

Cougar Guy
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Not too sure Scout, but on the 5 o'clock news, it sure sounded to me like Thompson was the one made the decision as opposed to Lambert. The interview with Thompson didn't really get into details, but he seemed to be making references to the fact that "it was getting pretty late" (training camp was approaching) and they hadn't really heard back from Lane so he (Thompson) had to make a decision.

Thompson almost made it sounds like Lambert hadn't formally committed to coming back (perhaps he was testing out other options) and he got sick of waiting so he made the decision to look for another head coach.

I'm sure more will come out in the paper tomorrow and the week to come. Local media reported that Lambert will release a statement this week.

There have been many rumours of players not wanting to report and/or play here if Lambert stuck around and there were also many fans that weren't happy with the job he was doing. I have a hard time thinking that some of this didn't factor into what went down. IMHO, he shouldv'e been released at the end of last year.

Thompson stated that they would like Malgunas to stay around as an assistant and that they are looking for someone with head coaching experience. I'll post more info as it becomes available.

pgcougarfan
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Heard on the radio (Hartley) that he has taken an assistant coaching position in the AHL. (can't remember which team)

Jovorock
08-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I was reading in the Kelowna paper this morning that the Cougs let Lambert go and he doesn't have a AHL job yet. It also says there might be a law suit involved?

Scout
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I see Lambert signed today with The New York Islander top affiliate The Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the A.H.L. Wonder if he had an escape clause in his contract with Prince George. If he did, Brodsky had no right to relieve Lane from his contract. If he didn't and Brodsky got wind of him negotiating behind his back while under contract, then Brodsky has every right. But do any C.H.L. coaches sign a contract without an escape clause?

Scout

Sput
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
But do any C.H.L. coaches sign a contract without an escape clause?

Scout

I think most escape clauses are for a move up, read head coach, in a higher league. I'm not to sure how it would read if it were to take an assistant coaching job though. Some would say it is a move up the ladder (higher league) while others could argue its a step back going to an assistants job.