PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes!

Sput
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I go away for a couple weeks and everything changes here in Cougarville. Buff signs with Chi-town, Lambert resigns/gets fired, what's next? Brodsky puts in a bid for the Memorial Cup?? (ya right) At least with Buff signing it clears up a couple questions with the 20's. Some will say he was our only big gun, but most here will tell you he was quite probably the biggest problem here as well. He had a huge tendancy to be selfish with the puck and make bad decisions with it. Often he wouldn't pass, or pass to late and to hard for anyone to actually catch it, and to often was burned bad as the last man back. That all said, I will miss watching him perform, when he decided he wanted to, and impress a lot of people.

With Lambert I have no idea what happend there. From what I heard from people last night it seemed a more mutual agreement, but who knows. I also heard the team had interviews already lined up for this week, but no one knew any names. I know Lane wasn't always a fan favorite, but he was a very serious and technical hockey guy that was always thinking to the point of overthinking in my opinion.

One thing you can say about this team.....it hasn't been boring. There is always something dark and mysterious happening somewhere in the CN Center.

Jovorock
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Has there been talk about Lambert getting his pay? I seen something in the Kelowna paper about there might be a law suit with one year left on his contract.

Cougar Guy
08-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Well, the Cougars are certainly the ones who terminated the contract. Based on what the PG Citizen has reported, the questionable part will be whether or not Lambert effectively broke the contract by "agreeing" to go to the AHL team even though nothing had been finalized. From what the paper has reported, the only hold up with the AHL offer was to do with moving expenses. As a result of that, the Cougars determined that he was indeed going and that he had effectively broken the contract.

I'm no lawyer, but I would say that Lambert DOES have a case. MANY jobs are taken and/or turned down over moving expenses and it would be a stretch to say that the job was accepted even if that hadn't been worked out. A move across the country or continent like that could run in the tens of thousands of dollars . . . not exactly chump change. There may be other factors to consider which haven't been released, but I'd say the Cougars may have to pony up some sort of dough if it comes to that . . .

Sput
08-04-2005, 08:13 PM
The Cougs may have to ante up the rest of his contract, but it depends on how the language was written. If Lane had an out clause if he were to take a move higher, eg. a head coaching job in a minor pro team, would be one thing, but to take an assistants job in the minors may or may not be construed as a move up. I'm sure the money is better, but coaching position wise it could be a crap shoot. Best leave that to the lawyers and the judge.

At any rate I still haven't heard any names being thrown around as to who applied for the job. Thats odd as the rumors are usually running rampant with something like this. At least we know Ted Nolan's name won't be part of the rumors. He's coaching in the minors somewhere. (the team ecsapes my memory right now)

Jovorock
08-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Nolan's head coach of the Moncton Wildcats and hosting the Memorial Cup in 06.

Habcheid had a contract with the Rockets and Hamiton let him out to better himself. Surprised that Brosky wouldn't do the same, instead of firing him just wait until Lambert asks to get out of his contract. I'm no lawyer either but I would guess that if Lambert wanted the final year of his contract he could get it?

Cougar Guy
08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Okay here is an interesting development (especially the last paragraph) courtesy of opinion250.com,

"Hartley Miller's Slap Shots - August 5th Edition

Lane Lambert certainly wasn't given the red carpet treatment as he was ushered out the door as coach of the PG Cougars. This is not exactly the kind of P.R. the Cats need in trying to win back the many fans that have deserted the team. But then again, we are talking about the Cougars, and the negativity about the organization never takes a break, regardless of what the calendar may say.

Although he hasn't spoken publicly on the matter, Lambert has issued a statement which he requested to be printed in its entirety. Here it is.

“I have been asked by reporters for my point of view on what recently happened between the Prince George Cougars and myself.

An AHL organization approached me regarding an Assistant Coaching position with the team. I told them that I was under contract with the Prince George Cougars and they would have to get permission from the Cougars to talk to me. They did and were granted permission. I had not made any decision about next season, accepted a position, nor even received a full proposal from the AHL team at the time of my termination by the Cougars. I had not, and still have not signed a contract with any other organization.

Obviously I am not happy with the way Dallas and Rick handled this particular situation but that is beyond my control. From the articles I've read over the past couple of days, the only comment that I view as being completely accurate was that when I was told I was being terminated I was flabbergasted. Nevertheless, I would like to thank Rick for giving me the opportunity to coach the Cougars two years ago.

I would also like to thank the players of the Prince George Cougars for their efforts over the past two years and wish them all the best for the upcoming season. I hope that they have learned as much from me as I have from them. I would also like to acknowledge Stew Malgunas for his loyalty, commitment and hard work.

Finally, I would like to thank the people of Prince George and the fans of the Cougars. This is a great family city and all of us felt very welcome here. Your support has truly been appreciated”.

By the way, Bridgeport of the A-H-L has just named Pat Bingham an assistant coach. Wasn't that the job Lambert was interested in? I don't think we have heard the last of this story."

If this info is even remotely true, just add it to the list of fumbles, bobbles, screw ups and pretty much everything else negative about the Cougars organization. Prospective coaches, parents and cities with the welcome mat out, would you want to be involved with this franchise?

Dear WHL Governors, please put us out of our misery in PG and force these clowns to sell the team . . .

Jovorock
08-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Thompson and Brosky have really showed their how much class they have, NONE. This is a development league, players, coaches, trainers and GM's. Unless you own a team this is a development league. The Cougars are going to have to pay Lamberts salery and the new coach at the same time.

This story is bad for the league, I wish Brosky would sell the Cougs. There are good hockey fans in the PG area that don't deserve this crap.

Sput
08-06-2005, 03:43 PM
This story is bad for the league, I wish Brosky would sell the Cougs. There are good hockey fans in the PG area that don't deserve this crap.

There are LOTS of people here that feel the same way. Its insane to think the league BOG would give this gong show another shot in a different city. Brodsky should stick to construction contracting. It seems he can make money at that. Please, please let someone buy this team,keep it here, and make every hockey fan in PG happy