PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Season

Scout
08-03-2005, 01:48 PM
The season start August 30th with pre saeason game against our rival Med. Hat. So i'm guessing the players will be arriving in the next 2-3 weeks. Lets get the ball rolling and see what everyone thinks will happen. Who will get traded? What rookies will make the team and how will we make room? Who will get the C and A's. Any guesses on line-ups.

I realize i talked alot about 16 year-old Karl Benke . I checked some stats on this kid. He turned 17 the end of May. He now stands 6'6" 230lbs. Last year in 33 games he had 170pim. Hope he makes it as we need some size. I remember him last year at camp and the kid is massive. Someone to watch and take the place of Trojo.

Scout

LOYALTY
08-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I would like to see some changes myself, we need a much stronger and dominent defense in my opinion.

Scout
08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
But we all have to remember, this is still not Deans team. When Dean was in Seattle his D and team were big and tough. He may do it thru drafting or trades here in Swift. I'm sure we will see lots of size at this years camp. Whether they have the skills, we will see.

Scout

Flathead
08-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Hunter, Captain
Rumsey, Assistant
Desloges or Aspenlind, Assistant

Moir, starter
Peeters will be moved to make room for Yonkman

Schulz, Lloyd and Fransoo will have to very impressive to not be let go or traded, as we need to make room for some very good young dmen that will be coming to camp this year and will take some spots. Benke.

We usually have about 15 forwards and I would say about 7 spots are availlable, after Bortis takes one.

bronconeer
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know whether he will be able to play? 2 or 3 concussions already - not good!

Scout
08-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Here is who i think will return:
Joshua Aspenlind R.W.
Travis Brisbois C.
Marc Desloges L.W.
Luke Hunter C.
Brady Leovold R.W.
Boris Leckovic R.W.
David Murray L.W.
Jerrid Sauer R.W.
Jeremy Schenderling C.
Andrew Wasmuth L.W.

Cruse and Horman graduated. Knebl i think is gone as we drafted two new Euro's. Stone: Has he healed? If so he will return. Szczachor: Played very little after Christmas, doubt if he will return.

In the wings: Kyle Bortis C: Played for Saskatoon Contacts and was the top Midget averaging over 2 points a game. Would have made the team last year but never felt physically strong enough. Feels ready this year.
Richard Lelkes L.W. and Daniel Rakos C. our two new Euro's if they report.
Levi Nelson C. Remember him? Was a call up last year and scored in his first game. Very aggressive and plays his heart out.
Zack Smith C.: The kid for the last couple of years was close to cracking the line-up. Has the tools, but will there be room.

Defence:
Marc Dafoe 6'5" 220lbs. R.D.
Jason Fransoo 6' 180 lbs. L.D.
Michael Hengen 6'1" 195 lbs. L.D.
R.J.LaRochelle 6'2" 180 lbs. R.D.
Donny Lloyd 6' 190 lbs. R.D.
Myles Rumsey 6'1.5" 200 lbs. R.D.
David Scultz 6'3" 205 lbs. R.D.

Not much left on Defence as most is returning in tact. Only question could be LaRocelle who missed most of last year with a concussion.

Waiting in the wings:
Paul Postma R.D. Was one of the top D-Men in Red Deer last year. An offensive defencemen who will get a long look i think. We don't have alot of rushing D-men.
Derek Claffey L.D. Was Postma's defensive partner in Red Deer last year. While Postma rushed with the puck, Derek stayed back in his zone.
Greg Alexander L.D. Like Zack Smith, has been trying to crack the line-up and has come o so close, but will there be room made for him this year.
Karl Benke R.D. We need size and toughness on the blueline and Karl can bring it. Just turned 17 in late May and already stands 6'6" 230 lbs. This guy i like and can not only clear the net, but can bring an intimidation to the line-up. Was up at main camp last year and came close. Last year he returned to Edmonton where in 33 games had just under 200 pim.

Captain should be LuKE Hunter with A's going to Rumsey, Aspenlind and Sauer. Now that is putting my neck on the line.
Anyone care to add their two cents?

Scout

Flathead
08-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Marek can still come to camp though, if they invite him, right? I think they should give him another chance, especially if Lelkes will not be coming.

I liked Kneble, you could definetley see that the kid can play hockey. I think the WHL may have scared him a bit, because he seemed to play a little scared at times. Moving so far away and not speaking the language probally has a lot to do with it as well. I hope he gets another go at it, this year. Even try him out for half the season.

bronconeer
08-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I sure do not like all of your "a" choices
Rusmey's a given
Aspendlind maybe - but Sauer? Is he capable of being a leader?

Oh-Vee
08-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Marek can still come to camp though, if they invite him, right? I think they should give him another chance, especially if Lelkes will not be coming.

I liked Kneble, you could definetley see that the kid can play hockey. I think the WHL may have scared him a bit, because he seemed to play a little scared at times. Moving so far away and not speaking the language probally has a lot to do with it as well. I hope he gets another go at it, this year. Even try him out for half the season.

The problem with euro's is we have to pay for them to come over here. A one way flight to Regina from Prague is almost $2,000. It doesn't make much sense to have a kid fly here for two weeks then ship him back for another $2,000. Plus I believe we have to pay a transfer fee to the Czech hockey fed.

Usually when you pay for a kid to come to training camp from europe, he makes the team if he is good enough or not.

LOYALTY
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Defence:

please list more than one reason your choice for each of these players to earn a spot as a bronco, I can only see one name that I would feel comfortable with maybe 2 at best.
sorry just my opinion. :confused:

Scout
08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry for the confusion. This is not the line-up i would go with. These are the players that are eligible to return. The line-up will be up to Dean. Myself i can't see him keeping this line-up. To many good young players waiting to crack the line-up. I see Dean making lots of movement on both forward lines and defence.

The reason i said Sauer for an A is because he plays his heart out and gives 110% . He leads by example. Although he is no super star scoring 50 goals a year he has alot of heart.

Scout

Oh-Vee
08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Defence:

please list more than one reason your choice for each of these players to earn a spot as a bronco, I can only see one name that I would feel comfortable with maybe 2 at best.
sorry just my opinion. :confused:

Dafoe: played very well as a rookie, espessially during the washington road trip. Big, strong, very mature. Will be a top 4 d-man before his whl career is done.

Fransoo: calm under pressure. seems to stabilize the d. makes an pretty good first pass.

Hengen: good offensive upside. looked a bit lost at times out there (but who didn't last year). Young and will fill into his big frame. Good mobility.

LaRochelle: didn't get to see much of him last year. People in Lethbridge thought highly of him.

Lloyd: Played pretty well when he came over from Cranbrook. Not afraid to drop the gloves.

Rumsey: He is going to be a player this year and should do well with more ice with Matty's departure.

Schultz: Obviously the enigma of the group. Massive potential. Strong skater, good passer, size, shown signs of leadership. He could put it all together or maintaint the status quo and get booed for another season.

The back end is young and I don't think that this group will stay together until next spring but pretty good for a second year team (which is how I see the Broncos in 05 06)

Toswammi
08-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Our goaltending seems to be obvious and Peeters the vet, will have to steal the spot from Yonkman at gun point to get it back. He will be released as i would be suprised another team would want him even for a backup.
Moir - the most underrated tender in the league
Yonkman - the starter waiting in the wings, and maybe as early as Febuary if the team struggles

Our backend will see some changes, i am sure of that. With that said who do i think is going to dealt or released. Fransoo, Schulz (he really needs a change of location to put his talent together), and possibly Alexander (will be dealt to help deal with our scoring problems), and Hengen. I also feel the other OA will be a Dman.
Rumsey
Larachelle - if healthy will be a good linemate to Myles
Lloyd - he may not be the most flashy dman but he gets the job done
Postma - He is supposed to be good, said he didnt look out of place as a 15 yr old last year
Defoe - possible cantidate for most imporved player this year?
the OA
The last spot will be a dog fight and i can garuntee that it will not go to a 16 yr old. So that leaves Benke, maybe Alexander, or possibly one of those Dmen that come from the blue to suprise everyone i have heard so good things from a kid named Byciznisky (sp).

The forwards, well i am part lazy and in a hurry so when i get to it i will give my opinion

Flathead
08-06-2005, 12:39 AM
The problem with euro's is we have to pay for them to come over here. A one way flight to Regina from Prague is almost $2,000. It doesn't make much sense to have a kid fly here for two weeks then ship him back for another $2,000. Plus I believe we have to pay a transfer fee to the Czech hockey fed.

Usually when you pay for a kid to come to training camp from europe, he makes the team if he is good enough or not.

I thought there was something like that, gets pricey. Hope they get things organized with the euros. Thanks for the info.

Scout
08-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Byczynski played last year in the S.M.H.L. for Yorkton. He stands 6'3" and weighs in at 190lbs. He is a R.W. who had last year in 38 games, 10 goals 6 assists and 70 pim.

Scout

Toswammi
08-06-2005, 01:51 PM
I thought Byczynski was a dman, whatever position he plays, he is a big body player with ethic and heart.

As promised the forwards

Like it or not, there will be more changes to this crew, and it may start in the next month. I would be shocked to see Murray, Wasmuth make the team, and it will not suprise me to see Brisbois not make it either. They will replaced by younger players with more size, or skill, or hopefully both. As a side note Knebl and Szachor are both done with the broncos and neither will be at training camp, from what i hear. Stone is a question mark for this years team if he can play like he was before the concussion than great, but if he can't and i dont mean to be mean, then maybe the team should trade/release him, instead of a keeping a sub par 19 yr old. Bortis is already on the team and Nelson and Smith each have an excelent shot at making this years team. I'd also watch out for two or three 16 yr olds to get an extensive look. Mabye Nash, Toulmin, Jago, etc.

Broncs in RD
08-06-2005, 02:18 PM
My D picks
Rumsey 'A'
Postma
Claffey
Dafoe
Benke
Larochelle??? depending on his health/Lloyd for a spot
One spot open for a trade

Forwards
Hunter 'C'
Desloges
Aspenlind
Leckovic
Sauer 'A'
Schenderling
Leavold
Bortis
Nash
Murray or a player aquired in a trade
Nelson
Smith
Rakos (sp)
Lelkes (sp)/or another euro
This spot open for a trade for a power forward who can snipe

Goalies
Moir
Yonkman

Brisebois, Wasmuth, Szczachor, Hengman, Schulz, Fransoo and Peeters on there way out via trade. Schulz and Brisebois proberally the best bait we got.