PDA

View Full Version : [Split] Meszaros Coming back????

rinkrat
08-04-2005, 05:58 PM
If Brule was alot bigger like Thornton or Nash he might make the Jackets, but he is pretty small. I think it would be a mistake, Toigo is probly pretty worried?
There is a rumour going around that Meszaros is coming back.I don't buy it,but who knows....Read the Province tomorrow.

Beaner
08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
There is a rumour going around that Meszaros is coming back.I don't buy it,but who knows....Read the Province tomorrow.

Wow! Now that would be fantastic for us. :clap:

Not going to get my hopes up, but maybe Ottawa is asking Meszaros to come back the WHL for another year? Most of Ottawa's Defence corps is under contract.

Thanks for the Scoop Rinkrat, guess I'll be heading out to my local newstand tomorrow. :thumb:

rinkrat
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Not going to get my hopes up, but maybe Ottawa is asking Meszaros to come back the WHL for another year? Most of Ottawa's Defence corps is under contract

Just thinking that maybe Ottawa is using "going back to junior" as a bargaining ploy,in order to force Andrej's hand into signing for less money.Then they would assign him to the AHL.Also The Province is reporting that Slade has a tryout with New Jersey so he will miss some pre season games.Good for Tyson Sexsmith,I guess.

Beaner
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I took a look at the Sens roster and they have a tonne of players both signed for the big club, and in their farm system. I guess he could be back....

Heh - started a new thread for Dustin just now. ;)

Beaner
08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
from, www.theprovince.com

Sens’ indifference Giants’ gain

While Gilbert Brule is likely heading out, it appears Andrej Meszaros might be coming in again for the Vancouver Giants.
Meszaros, one of the top Ds in the WHL last season, is yet to get a contract with the Ottawa Senators, who chose him in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft a summer ago.
While his agent, Rich Evans, wouldn’t rule out a deal with Ottawa, he also was sounding more and more Thursday like the big, sturdy Slovak could be wearing Vancouver colours again.
Meszaros played so well last year that he seemed like a slamdunk to be in Ottawa’s system somewhere this season, and Vancouver brass literally laughed at Meszaros when he told them that he would consider playing for the Giants again.
Getting him back would also help ease the loss of Brule, the flashy centre whom Vancouver GM Scott Bonner expects to jump to the Columbus Blue Jackets, who drafted him sixth.
“I think Vancouver has always been an option for this year,” said Evans, who is based out of Edmonton and has represented all the imports that the Giants have ever had.
“Waiting a couple of more weeks on Ottawa is reasonable. This will play it self out. We’re still working to get a deal done and, in a couple of weeks, we will see where we are at.”
Ottawa GM John Muckler couldn’t be reached.
Meszaros was already slated to come to Vancouver on Aug. 15 and skate with the Giants in preparation for Ottawa’s camp. He’ll also help acclimatize the two players the Giants picked in the CHL Import Draft, Czech winger Michal Repik and Slovak centre Mario Bliznak.
But if Meszaros returns one of them would have to be traded or released.

Beaner
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
from, www.theprovince.com

Giants defenceman awaiting word on an Ottawa contract

BY STEVE EWEN SPORTS REPORTER

Andrej Meszaros is in limbo in Ladner.

The powerhouse Slovak defenceman came to town this week and is working out with players from the Vancouver Giants, his team from last year, as he awaits word on a deal from the Ottawa Senators.
Ottawa has made an offer to the 23rd overall pick from the 2004 NHL entry draft, and his agent, Rich Evans, has countered it. Meszaros has said he’ll return to the Giants for this season if he can’t work out a contract with Ottawa. “I hope Ottawa is going to sign me,” Meszaros said Wednesday at the Ladner Leisure Centre, the practice facility of the Giants. “I hope, I hope. “I can’t say if they will. It is up to them. I’m trying to be patient. I talked to Rich and he said, ‘We’ll see.’ “If I do play here this year, it won’t be weird. I love it here. The city is great, the guys, too. The coaches are great.” Ottawa does have salary-cap concerns right now, and that could be part of the holdup with Meszaros, 19.
There’s talk they’re shopping defenceman Wade Redden, since he and two other frontline Senators, fellow blueliner Zdeno Chara and winger Marian Hossa, will be unrestricted free agents next summer.
There were many times he looked NHLready last year, but Meszaros isn’t against starting his pro career in the minors, he said.
If the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Meszaros does return to Vancouver, the Giants would have to move one of the two players they picked up in this summer’s CHL import draft, Czech winger Michal Repik or Slovak centre Mario Bliznak.
Repik and Bliznak arrived here with Meszaros this week and he’s been acting as their interpreter.
They, too, are represented by Evans, and Meszaros said Evans played a hand in recruiting this summer, since he himself had talked up the Giants all over Europe when he returned home.
The Giants’ training camp opens officially on Aug. 26. sewen@png.canwest.com

Basically, no contract with Ottawa and he will be back.

rinkrat
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I guess if he doesn't sign by next summer,he will go back into the draft? I highly doubt Ottawa would let that happen,though.

Beaner
08-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, its hard to know for sure, but this is what I know so far

* NHL teams no longer hold Euros rights forever. They have 2 years to sign them.

Wether that means they can re-enter the draft or becomes a UFA I am unsure.

Since they counted, last season against time, that means Ottawa has to get this done, before the summer or lose their rights to him.

I am still waiting to see a detailed report on the CBA.....

So I guess the Agent logic is - if you sign with Ottawa you will go where they tell ya, if you don't get signed. best to show your skills in North America so you can play in the NHL Next Season.

There is still a chance that Meszaros could sign with Ottawa, and be sent back to the Giants, because, as far as I understand it, there is still a deal between the CHL and NHL that CHL players if sent back go to their CHL team and not the AHL.

Considering that Ottawa is starting to get into cap trouble, I imagine they would send him back, to save the cash, as it sounds like the agent is asking for the rookie max, and I bet Ottawa is offering the minimum.

Maybe there is a better chance of him coming back after all.....

Too much speculation for me to be honest.

rinkrat
08-21-2005, 08:42 AM
There is still a chance that Meszaros could sign with Ottawa, and be sent back to the Giants, because, as far as I understand it, there is still a deal between the CHL and NHL that CHL players if sent back go to their CHL team and not the AHL.

Considering that Ottawa is starting to get into cap trouble, I imagine they would send him back, to save the cash, as it sounds like the agent is asking for the rookie max, and I bet Ottawa is offering the minimum.

Maybe there is a better chance of him coming back after all.....

Too much speculation for me to be honest.

There will be no more "one way" contracts.Under the new CBA players in the minors making less than 75,000 don't count against the parent clubs cap.So,the agent must be looking for more than the minimum 450,000 when Andrej makes the NHL.
I got this info from listening to Arthur Griffiths on MOJO.

Beaner
08-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Don Hay was on the radio last night, and in his opinion, Andrej and the Senators will get a contract done, and he does not expect him to be back.

He also went on to say that he felt Andrej was ready to play pro and should be playing pro this year, wether in Ottawa or with their Farm Team.

Beaner
08-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Radio is reporting he signed a 3 year deal today with Ottawa, will either be in Ottawa or their farm team this year.

Congrats to Andrej and best of luck.

langdak
08-25-2005, 09:55 AM
TSN has reported that Meszaros has signed a multi year contract

There is no article on it yet, but it is listed in the daily transactions

The following is a list of notable transactions made as NHL teams try to fill out their rosters under the rules outlined in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Eastern Conference | Western Conference | 2005 Transaction Log

Thursday, August 25

Ottawa Senators - Signed defenceman Andrej Meszaros to a multi-year contract.

Way to go Andrej..........good luck in Ottawa.........we will miss you in Vancouver

Edit****

found the link

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134523

8/25/2005 11:39:19 AM

The Ottawa Senators announced they have signed defenceman Andrej Meszaros to a three-year entry-level contract. Meszaros was Ottawa's first-round pick, 23rd overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

In 2004-05, Meszaros played his first North American pro season with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League (WHL). He recorded 11 goals and 30 assists to finish sixth in scoring among all WHL rookies and captured the Giants' rookie-of-the-year and defenceman-of-the-year awards. The 19-year-old went on to finish tied for fourth in team scoring after recording one goal and three assists for four points in six playoff games.

In his native Slovakia, Meszaros split his 2002-03 season between Dukla Trencin's junior and senior squads. He then earned a spot on the senior squad for the 2003-04 season and recorded six points (3-3) in 44 games as Trencin took the 2004 Slovak Republic Extraleague championship.

Meszaros has also represented his country on several occasions. He skated with Slovakia in the 2003 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) U-18 World Junior Hockey Championship in Yaroslavl, Russia, registering two goals and two assists en route to the silver medal. He was also played for Team Slovakia at world junior championships in Helsinki (2004) and Grand Forks, North Dakota (2005).

Beaner
08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
If anyone is wondering he got the rookie max, for his draft year, 984,000.

Jovorock
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I heard because of the Heatley Hossa trade that they had the money now to sign Meszaros this year and Chara and redden next year. Word has it that they expect him to make the Sens this year?

Beaner
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I heard because of the Heatley Hossa trade that they had the money now to sign Meszaros this year and Chara and redden next year. Word has it that they expect him to make the Sens this year?

Ottawa saved a tonne of cash in the Heatly trade.

Heatly 3.5M

Hossa 5M
De Vries 2.28m

For a total savings of 3.75M

So considering that Meszaros and the sens were having contract problems, it looks like the sens pulled the trigger on this trade to get Heatley and save some cash so they could sign their prospects, considering it took 2 days to sign a deal after the big trade.

I would fully expect Meszaros to be in the lineup. He's played in the Men's league in Slovakia in '03-'04, and has the talent to succeed. I think he is more than ready for the NHL, and would be surprised if he went to the farm team to start.

Beaner
09-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Meszaros has survived yet another round of cuts in Ottawa

from, http://www.ottawasenators.com/

SENATORS REDUCE ROSTER TO 27 PLAYERS
Team prepares for three games this weekend

In preparation for three pre-season games this weekend, the Ottawa Senators made their first training camp moves today, reducing their roster to 27 players. The Senators roster stands at three goaltenders, eight defencemen and 16 forwards (news release and roster is attached). The Senators travel to Binghamton, N.Y., for their first of two neutral-site games Friday, Sept. 23. In their second game of the pre-season calendar, the Senators will face the Pittsburgh Penguins Friday. The two teams will meet again in Wilkes-Barre, Penn., home of the Penguins’ AHL affiliate, on Saturday. The Senators weekend wraps up with their first pre-season game at the Corel Centre, where the Toronto Maple Leafs will visit Sunday for a 7:30 p.m. start.

Defencemen still at Camp are,

Chara
Phillips
Reden
Meszaros
Volchenkov
Pothier
Ward
Schubert

Things are really starting to look like Andrej may just make the Team this year.

Beaner
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
The sens have trimmed again and Meszaros is still on the roster.

Down to 7 Dmen, now.

GF71
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
He'll stick now. Good for him! :clap: