View Full Version : Cougers Name Bench Boss

Scout
08-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Courtesy W.H.L.:
Aug 4, 2005

WHL Headlines Archive

Cougars Name Bench Boss
Created: Aug 8, 2005

PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars are pleased to announce the hiring of Mike Vandekamp (“Van-da-camp”) as the team’s new head coach, effective immediately.

Vandekamp, 33, comes to the Cougars after serving as both General Manager, and Head Coach with the Vernon Vipers from 2001-2005. Vandekamp, the BCHL Coach of the year from 2001-2003, led the Vipers to a 42-9-9 record during his 2004-2005 regular season campaign, and were winners of the Interior Conference Championships.

"I would sincerely like to thank Mr. Brodsky and Mr. Thompson for offering me the opportunity to become the Head Coach of the Prince George Cougars. I look forward to working with the Management, Scouting Staff and the Players towards a common goal of both on ice and off ice success”, states the newly appointed Vandekamp.

Vandekamp, a 10 year coaching veteran in Junior A, has won the BCHL Interior Championships 4 out of the 5 past seasons with Vernon. In his 2002-2003 season, the native of Fort St. John guided his squad to win the BCHL Championships.

“We are extremely excited to name Mike as the new Head Coach of the Prince George Cougars. Mike has earned this opportunity as a result of his past successes in the BCHL”, says Cougars GM, Dallas Thompson.

The Cougars are excited to welcome Mike, wife Lana, and children Carter (2 years) and Katie (3.5 months) to the community of Prince George later this week.

Sput
08-08-2005, 03:20 PM
All I can hope is the guy can coach as well as he did in Vernon. Winning 4 out of 5 isn't to bad. The but in this is if he keeps things under control with his temper. I've heard it gets a little wild and is a consistant source of revenue for the League office. One more ring to the Brodsky circus.

Jovorock
08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
If Brodsky and the circus leave Vandekamp alone to coach he will do fine. Everything I have heard of him is the players like him and he is a good coach. He will get the most out of his players if they work for him.

I haven't been to a Vernon game, but I haven't heard anything negative about Vandekamp?

Cougar Guy
08-08-2005, 05:01 PM
If Brodsky and the circus leave Vandekamp alone to coach he will do fine.

I sure hope that is the case Jovorock. Give the guy an honest shot to see what he can do and keep the hands off. Let him sink or swim.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about him, but if the players generally like him, that counts for allot in my eye. He will have to control his temper, but if he can get the guys working and rack up some wins, he should be welcomed in PG. If he gets off to a really slow start or if his mgmt style results in guys asking for trades or giving up, it could get ugly REALLY FAST.

At the very least, it should be interesting.

scamperdog
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I went to school with Mike in fort st john, he is good guy, his record speaks for it self, in fsj he took some pretty bad teams and turned them around, and his record in Merritt and Vernon are pretty good, finally something I think P.G can be happy about, and yes I will say you will make the playoffs this season

Sput
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Mike has shown he can coach, at least in the junior A levels, so I believe it will have to be a wait and see thing yet again. I've heard some people already whining about "he's to young to be a ligit coach", but they also forget he's coached for ten years or more. I agree with Cougar Guy....if he gets the respect of the guys on the ice and can put together a few early wins, I think the fans will welcome him. Start slow, or go against the grain of the players and he's done-for. One thing for sure....it will be nice to see a coach behnd the bench that shows some emotion. That can only rub off on the players.

Jovorock
08-10-2005, 06:25 AM
I've heard some people already whining about "he's to young to be a ligit coach", but they also forget he's coached for ten years or more.
Wasn't Gary Green 26 when he coached the Washington Capitals? Vandekampe has earned to be at this level, so the people should wake up and take a look at his record. Mike's coaching career in Vernon alone makes him qualified to be at the WHL level.