PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cities, Vancouver, Lethbridge, and Kootenay fans

caps05
08-08-2005, 05:32 PM
What can you tell me about Andy Thompson? Willing to go with anyone? Turtler? He just signed with the San Diego Gulls of the ECHL, along with another WHL tough guy, Mitch Love.

langdak
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
What can you tell me about Andy Thompson? Willing to go with anyone? Turtler? He just signed with the San Diego Gulls of the ECHL, along with another WHL tough guy, Mitch Love.

I like Andy Thompson when he played for us in Vancouver.

Not sure if his heart is all there though as he walked away from the Giants as a 20yr old when he couldnt fill the need that the team had for him, then he said he only wanted to play locally (since he is from the Vancouver area)

If he puts his mind to it, he can be a very solid player, and he also plays with a chip on his shoulder, takes some stupid penalties but i have seen guys take a lot more then he did.

As for fighting, i dont recall seeing him turtle, but then again i didnt really see him fight a whole lot either.

I did see him hack a lot of guys in the back of the legs and what not as the play was moving out of the own zone (hence the chip on his shoulder)

All in all, i would say, solid/tough defenseman as long as his heart is there.

As for Mitch Love, in my opinion is the kinda guy that you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.

I always liked watching him play in Vancouver when Everett would visit, another very solid and tough defenseman, cant say enough good things about him based on the limited viewing i had while watching his few stops in Vancouver. Everett fans will give you a much better opinion of Mitch.

Beaner
08-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Have to agree - Thompson I dont think ever fought in Vancouver. Not much more to say about him than that.

Love - man hated that guy, especially the fake out he was doing with his gloves at the end of the year. But if he is on your team, I'm sure you'll love him. He is a quality player and a good fighter.

The best thing about Love coming to Vancouver was the PA guys would play "Love Stinks" by the J. Gelis Band, at least 1 time every game. :laugh: Made me laugh every time.

Nice to hear more guys moving up the hockey ranks.

peatfan
08-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Not sure how he played in the West coast but when he played for the hated Ice he had a fught every game with a Hitmen and he never picked his spot- Robin Gomez, Peat, Rypien. Won some lost some but never say him turtled. Played a very physical game. One player I wished the HItmen went after. Also played the same way in Lethbridge but I think some of his desire went out when he had the breakdown. Apparently he is okay now and I hope the best in his life for him.

Stay-Puft
08-09-2005, 09:38 AM
In TC, I don't recall seeing him drop the mitts. He was a solid D-man, when he decided he wanted to play. At times, he looked like he was in slow-motion. Ice time started to diminish near the end of the year.

Brad
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
He was a bit of a spot picker in TC. There were enough guys on the team who could fight when the team needed that Andy just fought when he felt he needed to. As a result a number of his fights included instigators. Times when he felt someone needed to be taught a lesson and it didn't matter if they were willing or not.

I am surprised he turned pro. His heart didn't appear to be in hockey last season.

Spungy
08-10-2005, 05:21 PM
i enjoyed watching Andy play here in Cranbrook, i remember thinking he was an up and coming, but then he up and left the team.. and bounced around, i agree with the comments about his lack of heart. I wish him all the best in the pro's though.