PDA

View Full Version : W.H.L.Rule Changes for 2005/2006

Scout
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
WHL Adopts Several Rule Changes for 2005-06 Season
Created: Aug 22, 2005

Calgary, AB -- Western Hockey League fans can expect some significant changes to the on-ice product for the upcoming 2005-06 season.

The WHL has adopted several rule changes consistent with the rule changes the NHL has put into place for their upcoming season.

The following are the rule changes that will be used, commencing with the 2005-06 WHL exhibition season:

1. Maintain a Tight Standard on Interference, Hooking and Holding

- The WHL will continue to maintain a tight standard on interference, hooking and holding.

2. Goaltenders

- The WHL will use the goaltender's crease behind the net, limiting the area where goaltenders may play the puck.

- The WHL will emphasize the rule requiring a minor penalty to be assessed to a goaltender who freezes the puck unnecessarily.

3. Overtime / Shoot-out / Points

- There will be one overtime period of 4-on-4 sudden death for a duration of five (5) minutes. If the score is tied at the conclusion of the 4-on-4, both teams will then participate in a 3-man shoot-out. The WHL will use all NHL shoot-out rules, standings and statistics to remain consistent.

- The Point System will consist of:

- 2 points for win in regulation.
- 1 point for each team for a tie at the conclusion of regulation.
- 1 additional point for a win in 4-on-4 or shoot-out.

4. Icing

- Automatic icing will be in effect, with either Linesman having the discretion to wave off a potential icing that results from an obvious attempted pass.

5. Delayed Off-side Rule

-The tag-up rule (clearing the zone) will be used.

6. Lines

- The red line will be removed for the purpose of an off-side pass.

- The blue lines and red line will remain 1' (12") in width.

7. Instigator

- If a player instigates a fight in the final five (5) minutes of a game, that player will receive an automatic game misconduct.

8. Diving

-Referees will be instructed to be diligent in assessing an USC (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) penalty for diving to players who dive or embellish in an attempt to draw penalties. The penalty to be announced will be "Two Minutes for Unsportsmanlike Conduct for Diving".

9. Shooting Puck in Stands

- Players shooting the puck into the stands from their own defensive zone will be penalized with an automatic two (2) minute penalty, which will be applied in an identical fashion to the goaltender penalty for Delay of Game which is currently used.

10. Team Icing Puck Not Allowed to Change

- When the offending team ices the puck from their defensive zone, they are not allowed to change the players "on the ice". Determination of players "on the ice" will be made when the puck leaves the offending player's stick.

11. Playing Strength in Overtime

- Any carry-over of penalties from regulation time to overtime will now be served on the same basis as in regulation time.

Joe Hallenback
08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
7. Instigator

- If a player instigates a fight in the final five (5) minutes of a game, that player will receive an automatic game misconduct.

The one rule I dont like but then again I cant remember the last time I saw an instigator penalty called in the dub

Beaner
08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
So, I guess this means that they aren't increasing the size of the offensive zones as per the NHL, or movig the goal line back.

From, www.tsn.ca

Bigger Offensive Zone

- The blue-lines will be moved closer together to create an additional four feet in each of the offensive zones. That reduces the size of the neutral zone to 50 feet from 54 feet.

- The goal-lines will be moved two feet, to 11 feet from the end boards.

Which means, that the Hitmen's Rink will be different than every other teams in the league, since they share the rink with the Flames. Wether thats an advantage for the Hitmen or not will be interesting to see.

Jimmypop316
08-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Bravo!

Good to see them start to crack down on diving.

Nature Boy
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I think that the no red line for two line passes and the overtime format should make the game very exciting this year. I think the shoot out will be very exciting. I think no red line will open up the game and it will also speed up the game. It was intoduced in minor hockey and the games went a lot faster. I think that the tag up offside rule is great. This will also speed up the game and it will make it more exciting because of the forechecking. Also the goalie rule is interesting and the shooting the puck out of play.
good rule changes :groovy:

RunTheGoalie
08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
The WHL game wasnt exactly bogged down to begin with, at least, nothing close to the NHL. Obviously the league has to adopt what the NHL adopts, but I will say right now that removing the redline is a mistake, and it will show much more clearly at the WHL level than it will in the NHL.

The only thing removing the red line has done for the AJHL is lead to a ton of icing calls. Although coupled with the rule waiving off icings for obvious passes, and restrictions on goalie movements, I can see a lot of races while the puck simply sits behind the goal line.

I do not believe removing the red line will improve the game in any noticable way.

Shootouts are horrible, and if there was one rule the WHL didnt have to adopt, it was this one. Though, of course, the league is going for what sells.

Beaner - I didnt even think of that! It will be interesting to see how the Saddledome plays vs the other arenas in the league with differing lines. I wonder if Kisio is smart enough to take advantage of that?

Beaner
08-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Beaner - I didnt even think of that! It will be interesting to see how the Saddledome plays vs the other arenas in the league with differing lines. I wonder if Kisio is smart enough to take advantage of that?

Well, it will sure make the saying "home ice advantage" apply to Calgary.

I'm still not sure if it will help them a lot or hurt them overall.

I don't like it though, all the teams should be playing with the same line placements.

Beaner
08-23-2005, 02:44 PM
11. Playing Strength in Overtime

- Any carry-over of penalties from regulation time to overtime will now be served on the same basis as in regulation time.

Interesting carification today on this.

If at the end of Regulation -

If teams are 5 on 4, then they start O/T 4-3

If teams are 5 on 3, then start O/T 5-3, and at the next whistle after a penalty expires they goto 4-3, then 4-4.

If the teams are 4 on 4, then they start O/T 3-3.

Very interesting.

The_Vulk
08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
5. Delayed Off-side Rule

-The tag-up rule (clearing the zone) will be used.
< WOO HOO >

Hip hip horray!

This one we have been waiting for, and I for one am glad to see the WHL finally bringing it back.

RunTheGoalie
08-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, it will sure make the saying "home ice advantage" apply to Calgary.

I'm still not sure if it will help them a lot or hurt them overall.

I don't like it though, all the teams should be playing with the same line placements.

I agree. I don't understand why the WHL didnt shift the lines as well.

ihlemic10
08-24-2005, 07:22 AM
< WOO HOO >

Hip hip horray!

This one we have been waiting for, and I for one am glad to see the WHL finally bringing it back.

Sorry to ask but what is the rule? I don't understand what tag up is.

Shinyshoes
08-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry to ask but what is the rule? I don't understand what tag up is.

The previous rule required the attacking team to clear the zone, and offsize was not cleared untill the defending team brought the puck out of their own zone. With the "Tag-up" offside rule, offside can now be cleared by having all of the attacking players clear the zone. Once all the attacking players are out of the attacking zone, they are no longer offside and can re-enter the zone to continue their attack.

Make sense? Its kind of a hard thing to describe....

IamBatman
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
How about that icing rule. Players on the ice can't change if they ice the puck from the defensive zone. I think that is a great rule. Everett will have to change their game plan though.

Beaner
08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Both the no change on an icing and the tag up are great implementations.

I like the tag up more, it will put more pressure on defencemen to move the puck quickly, and decrease the number of whistles for offsides.

I still am not convinced about the red line being removed, I would have added that after this year if the other changes (Goalie handling puck, tag-up, no change icing etc.) didnt break the defensive style of game.

The rule I hate the most is the instigator suspension rule they have added.

I would have much rather seen them add in a minimum suspension for any 5 minute major (min. 1 game), and a minimum suspension, maybe 10 games, for an attempt to injure penalty.

ihlemic10
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
The previous rule required the attacking team to clear the zone, and offsize was not cleared untill the defending team brought the puck out of their own zone. With the "Tag-up" offside rule, offside can now be cleared by having all of the attacking players clear the zone. Once all the attacking players are out of the attacking zone, they are no longer offside and can re-enter the zone to continue their attack.

Make sense? Its kind of a hard thing to describe....

Yes it does. Thanks for that. I think that will be a intresting rule to see in action.

RunTheGoalie
08-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes it does. Thanks for that. I think that will be a intresting rule to see in action.

It was the standard in hockey before 1995-96, iirc. Chances are good that you will like it, as it speeds the game up considerably.

The NHL (and therefore the CHL) adopted the now outgoing rule as a means of forcing defensemen to handle the puck more. The thought was that it would force defensive players to be more creative with the puck, therefore improving the game.

Dead wrong.

Personally, I forsee the removal of the redline having a similar effect.

Fight Guy
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Well...I like prety much every new rule. I wanted tag-up offside, i got it...no touch icing, i got it...no more red line, i got it. Shoot out....booooo. Still dont like the idea of the shoot out. If they want to bring that aspect to the game, then they should just make penalty shots more frequent. Those are exciting. And the instigator rule sucks...but oh well. I also like the goalie space behind the net. Saw it in action in Winnipeg last year for a Moose game...I liked.

All I can say is, this is going to be a great season of hockey...game play wise.

Flathead
08-26-2005, 11:10 PM
It was the standard in hockey before 1995-96, iirc. Chances are good that you will like it, as it speeds the game up considerably.

The NHL (and therefore the CHL) adopted the now outgoing rule as a means of forcing defensemen to handle the puck more. The thought was that it would force defensive players to be more creative with the puck, therefore improving the game.

Dead wrong.

Personally, I forsee the removal of the redline having a similar effect.
I personally don't think that removing the red line will work like everyone thinks either and will be dead wrong.
Also I'm not a fan of the shoot out, as hockey is a team game and there is NO team in a shoot out.
Tag up offside was a must to be brought back and the icing/line change rule will be interesting.

The_Vulk
08-27-2005, 05:31 PM
At the International Level, there is no "Red Line".

Just look at the Excitement Team Canada has. The high flying, hard hitting, end to end action. Be it Canada Cup, World Cup, World Juniors, Olympics.

The side-effect of this will also be that our players at all levels will be more prepared for International Competition, being already familiar with it. Unlike in the past, where they have not been know to take full advantage of it (taking time to adjust to the no red line rule).

Beaner
08-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Just as a further update the NHL is adopting the following point structre

2 points for a win, OTW, or shootout win.
1 point for an OTL, or shootout loss
0 points for reg. loss.

I'm sure the dub will do the same thing.

Flathead
08-28-2005, 01:08 PM
At the International Level, there is no "Red Line".

Just look at the Excitement Team Canada has. The high flying, hard hitting, end to end action. Be it Canada Cup, World Cup, World Juniors, Olympics.

The side-effect of this will also be that our players at all levels will be more prepared for International Competition, being already familiar with it. Unlike in the past, where they have not been know to take full advantage of it (taking time to adjust to the no red line rule).

Those are all short term tourmaments, removing the red line works for a short period but after a short time everyone adopts and it's back to normal. Just look at the europian elite leagues, in fact I believe that the Sweedish elite league is bringing the red line back. It may not be Sweeden but one of them is seriously considering bringing it back.

Beaner
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
The NHL has put up a video explaining how the new rules will be called for this upcoming season.

It shows what players would do in the past, and what they will not be allowed to do anymore.

The guy doing the commentary is just a tad too serious for my liking however. :laugh:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/09/234088.html

The video is about 10 minutes and its very informative.