PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Injury Problems in Van.

Beaner
08-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok, just heard this on MOJO Radio.

Slade's knee injury from the BCHL playoffs last year is still not fully healed and he is a question mark right now for camp. :(

AND

Tyson Sexsmith has an abdominal injury and won't even be at camp. :spineyes: :(

Yikes. This could spell real big trouble for the Giants.

Beaner
08-23-2005, 01:11 PM
And not 30 mins later MOJO is now reporting that Bonner has said both guys will be fine for the start of the season and there is nothing to be worried about. He is not looking for a goalie.

Boy that was fast.

Guess we shall see when Training camp opens on Friday.

GF71
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I talked to Dustin last night. His knee is not 100%, but it is pretty close. He has been re-habbing for quite a while. It is just a matter of building up the strength again. :)

fightstrap50
08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
you guys can expect to see a goalie from Cranbrook there that plays for the kimberley dynamiters in the KIJHL?? hope that right. heres an excerpt from an article about him and 2 others going to team pacific camps for U-17 tourny. Ive seen him play a few times and he is actually pretty good.

By MATT COXFORD Townsman Sports
Three young Kimberley Dynamiters are one stage closer to playing in the U-17 world championships after being invited to attend the 2005 Team Pacific summer camp.
Dustin Donaghy and Scott Orth of Cranbrook and Carter Bancks of Kimberley will be heading to Osoyoos for eight days in July. "It is a really big accomplishment that these three boys are at that level. They're one step away from wearing the maple leaf and playing for the Team Pacific team in an international tournament next Christmas," said Scott Beattie, co-owner and head coach of the Dynamiters. The Nitros trio were the only players from the East Kootenay to get the invite. The B.C. Amateur Hockey Association (BCAHA) says the objective of the intense camp is to "train and prepare BC's finest hockey players within their age group for possible selection to future national and provincial teams." "I think it's exciting that we have three of the top 16-year old kids in the province playing for the Kimberley Dynamiters," said Beattie. "It'll be exciting to see them play this year. That being said, they still are just 16 playing in a league with a lot of 19 and 20 year olds..
Kimbeley Dynamiters co-owner Ed Orth said the three young men made positive impacts with the Nitros last season. "They did play last year as 15-year-olds and each one of them contributed to the team in major ways. They all played regularly in the playoffs and contributed there."
Centre Carter Bancks is what Orth describes as a natural scorer. "He has extremely soft hands and sees the ice very well," he said. "He's going to be an exciting player to watch for a lot of years."
Scott Orth is a technically sound goaltender who plays the angles well. "He makes the saves look a lot easier than they are because he's in the right position," said the Nitros co-owner. "He also works extremely well under pressure. Nothing rattles him. He just goes about his business whether it's sudden-death overtime in game seven or just having fun in practice."

Beaner
08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
I talked to Dustin last night. His knee is not 100%, but it is pretty close. He has been re-habbing for quite a while. It is just a matter of building up the strength again. :)

Thanks for the update.

Whats the word on Sexsmith's injury? - It's the first I had heard anything had happened to him.

Thanks Fightstrap for the info on Orth.

Beaner
08-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Here is the update.

Giants hurting between the pipes
Starting, backup netminders injured

Stephen Snelgrove
Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Training camp hasn't even started and the Vancouver Giants already find themselves facing a minor goaltending crisis.

Heading into the team's rookie camp, which starts Friday at the Ladner Leisure Centre, the Giants are without the services of their top two netminders. Dustin Slade, who was acquired in a trade from the Regina Pats in the off-season, is expected to take over the role as the No. 1 starter from the departed Marek Schwarz, while top prospect Tyson Sexsmith is pencilled in as his backup.

But with camp just a couple of days away, neither netminder has been able to get serious about pre-season training due to injury.

Slade, 19, is still recovering from strained knee ligaments that put a premature end to his season with the BCHL's Surrey Eagles, while Sexsmith, 16, has been sidelined by a stress fracture of the pelvis.

That leaves 17-year-old prospect Tommy Tartaglione at the top of the depth chart once the Giants open their main camp on Sunday.

"The trouble we have right now is that the two goalies are hurt, so Tartaglione is going to get a lot of playing time early," said GM Scott Bonner. "He's definitely going to get every opportunity to show us what he's got."

Slade is at about 85 per cent and on schedule to be fully healed in time to attend the New Jersey Devils' training camp in early September. Sexsmith's status is another matter.

"It's basically an injury where you have to sit for a month, you can't do anything for a full month," said Bonner. "He's almost two weeks into it now so he's got at least two weeks of complete rest left and then he'll start slowly on rebuilding his conditioning."

While Slade's been able to ride the bike and maintain his conditioning, Sexsmith will have to start almost from scratch when doctors give him the OK to work out again.

"It's killing me to sit in the stands. I'd love to be out there with the guys, but I know that if I don't let this heal properly I am going to have problems with it the rest of my life," said Sexsmith, while watching some of his prospective teammates take part in a 3-on-3 camp earlier this week. Right now I'm just supposed to minimize walking, just sit on the couch is what the doctor said."

Sexsmith, the Giants' first round pick in the 2004 WHL bantam draft, suffered the injury at a U-17 camp in Alberta in mid-July. The Priddis, Alta., native was in so much pain he had to sit out the final two games of the camp.

A follow-up exam by doctors indicated he had suffered a stress fracture. The good news was it wasn't a complete fracture, which would have required the teenager to have been completely immobilized for a couple of months.

"What we are told is that if you just let it heal it's going to be fine, but most people don't have the time or the patience to let it heal properly and it continues to be a problem," said Bonner. "If that were to happen he would need surgery and be out for months."

ICE CHIPS: The Giants added former Vancouver Canucks draft pick Dan Kesa to their coaching staff. Kesa joins Craig Bonner and Michael Dyck as assistant coaches under Don Hay. Kesa played 139 games in the NHL with Vancouver, Dallas, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay.

ssnelgrove@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2005

Beaner
09-20-2005, 11:29 AM
The province is now reporting that Sexsmith could be out for another 8 weeks with his Pelvic Injury.

Crosby rules
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
where did u hear this about slades knee not being good. from what i hear it is okay.

Beaner
09-20-2005, 04:23 PM
The Slade injury is from an old post made in August, he is all better now and playing well from all reports in NJ, but Sexsmith is still injured, and is in fact going to be out even longer.

Sorry for any confusion.

fightstrap50
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Beaner, how did Scott Orth look for you guys in camp? does he have a shot at making it next year and when did he get cut or is he still there? I havent heard anything about him at all. any info would be appreciated

Beaner
09-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Beaner, how did Scott Orth look for you guys in camp? does he have a shot at making it next year and when did he get cut or is he still there? I havent heard anything about him at all. any info would be appreciated

He was cut after the Giants Intra-squad game, before any pre-season games. I didnt make it to the Intra-squad game or any practices so I have no idea how he looked.

The only goaltenders who saw any action for the giants in pre-season games as far as I can remember were Tartaglione and Slade.

Not much talk about anyone else in the goaltender camp as Tartaglione played so well. He may even get the permanent back-up job, depending on how Sexsmiths injury goes.

Orth will have a hard time cracking the Giants lineup next year.

Slade will be 20, but Tartaglione will be (18) and Sexsmith (17) next year. But who knows its a long year, and a lot of things can happen, with trades, injuries etc. So basically for him to have a shot at making the team next year one of those 3 goalies will have to leave the team, and he will have to beat out the other guy for the backup as it stands now. You may just see him get packaged up in a trade.

Not a lot of other info unfortunatley.