PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp Thread

Oh-Vee
08-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Thought that I would start a thread so that we don't have a bunch of threads going at the same time.

Just watched the Team B (White) vs Team D (Grey) scrimmage. I noticed a couple of things:

1. Wudrick: As advertized. Strong on the puck, scored 2 goals and had an assist (i think) and could have easily had 4 or 5 goals. Made an amazing pass from the bottom of the circle to the opposite side of the crease. Right on the tape, I'm not even sure how he saw that play. I wish I could remember who recieved the pass (didn't score). Pretty good in his own end. He didn't seem afraid to take a hit and he got into a bit of a shoving match. Didn't initiate any physical play but he didn't shy from it. He even had a nice dangle a la Pavel Bure moving the puck from his stick to his back foot and back to his stick. Seemed to tire in the last couple of minutes.

2. Postma: Also looked good. Made no glaring mistakes in his own end (number one in my mind for defencemen). Skates very well, pretty good first pass. Had a great end to end rush in the last half of the scrimmage.

Other random thoughts:
Telford is a big kid. Showed some hands on a nice goal.
Cumiskey has some pretty good wheels and got in alone a couple of times.
White won 6 - 2 and dominated the first 15 minutes.

Broncs in RD
08-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Hope to keep getting updates since I am in Alberta. I appreciate it. Thank You

Scout
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Your right Wudrick is in a league of his own. Big,tough and talented. The best thing is he wants to be here. He has relocated from B.C. to Weyburn to attend Notre Dame so he is close to Swift Current and can see some games.

Postma: I mentioned before this kid is good. One of the top D-Men in Red Deer last year. Our second round pick-Goalie Ian Curtis. Him and Yonkman are our future. This kid is also for real and is having a very strong camp. Eldon and company took alot of flack for taking a goalie with the second pick, but this kid will be an all-star. Good job on that.

Other to watch:Kyle Ireland: Can skate like the wind and has very good on ice vision. Derek Claffey will also draw some attention.

The thing i noticed most was the size. Some of these rookies are huge. Thats good to see. We need size as other teams are getting bigger. I thought i saw Trojo out there skating around. Looks like he grew and put on weight. OOPS: Sorry that was Benke. All 6'6" 230 lbs. of him. This kid is massive. ( for those who didn't get it, this was a joke. Benke the Bemeath arrives at camp tomorrow.)

Scout

MidgetAAA
08-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey Scout would you be able to let me know how Matt Tassone looks when main camp opens on saturday.He is an 89 with good skill just want to know how he looks and if you think he has a shot at making the club this year.

Scout
08-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure how much of camp i will see but will try my best as i have some other commitments. Some of the other posters may be able to keep an eye on Matt. I do see he is at rookie camp. I will try my best.

Scout

Scout
08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
A reminder the rookies will have an inter-squad game tonight at the Civic Center. Start at 7p.m. and the cost is FREE.

Scout

Oh-Vee
08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Got my first chance to see Ian Curtis and this kid is huge. On his knees his head hits the cross bar and he still has 3 or 4 years of growing left.

He only played for about 20 minutes in the 11:00 game that I saw and he really wasn't tested that much but he looks like a classic butterfly goalie. Covers the bottom half of the net, moves accros the crease well, cuts down angles.

Like I say he wasn't tested that much so I didn't get a good gauge on his reflexes and puck handling. Hopefully he sees a bit more rubber tonight.

Scout
08-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I went to the rookie inter squad game tonight and will have an update tomorrow including on Matt Tassone.

Scout

bronco rep
08-27-2005, 08:50 AM
I went to the rookie inter squad game tonight and will have an update tomorrow including on Matt Tassone.

Scout
Thats what you call a intersquad game . The bronco brass has to be disapointed in the overall effort of there rookie forwards to say the least.I didn't know the game was a no hit game . Where has the desire gone with some of these kids today ? To me it looks like to much steriods in the meat & not enough desire .God 10yrs ago Chad Beagle or Chris Szysky would have put someone threw the boards to make the team.Well maybe with vets showing up today the pace will pick up at least i hope so . Luke show them that hard work does pay off. Lets go Riders. Oh i mean Go broncos go.

Scout
08-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Got to see some of the up and coming rookies and was very impressed. You can see a new coaching and scouting direction out there. Got alot of good size and they seem to be able to skate. The game was very fast and was over in under two hours. No fights but some great hits. Some guys that caught my eye:

Ian Curtis: The 15 year-old goalie who was our second round pick this year. Covers the net with ease. Has great reflexes and seems confident with the puck. Made some great glove hand stops and really controls the puck. Seems calm and cool in there.

Peter Annett: A 16 year-old goalie who made some incredible saves. I'm not sure where he came from but is also a big goalie who looked like a vet out there. Should move to main camp.

Kyle Ireland: Like him. Had two goals in the game. Great skater who sees the ice very well. Seems to know where the puck will be and goes for the net waiting for the puck. Another 16 year-old who should move on to main camp.

Geordie Wudrick: Our first round bantam pick this year. Is only 15 but has the size and grit. You can tell he was a high pick. I don't think he lost one face off. Has great wheels for a kid that is 6'2". Your typical old fashion hockey player who hits everything and also thinks about his defensive game. Can also handle the puck very well. All and all a very well rounded player.

Grant Toulmin: Another 16 year-old with great size. Looks to be around 6'3". One of your grinder type players who looks to like the rough stuff. Made some great hits and will run you over along the boards. Had a goal in last nights game. A couple of times last night whenever there was a shoving match, he stepped in for his line mate. Should be asked to go to main camp.

Sean Manery: I never noticed him last night, but he had three assists. He is 16 year-old defenceman and has decent size.

Derek Claffey: Never came to camp with much hype except by me who said he was Postma's defensive partner in Red Deer. He was with no doubt in my mind the best defenseman out there. He is 16, has average size and is very hard to get around. Stays in his end for the most part and clears the net. He also will stand you up at the blue line. Should go on to main camp and i think may take a vets job.

Paul Postma: 16 year-old D-man who was touted as an offensive defenceman. Showed flashes of stardom and good moves. Has good on ice vision and feathered his passes. Played the man in front of the net. Should be a good up and coming defencman. Should stick for main camp.

Matt Tassone: 16 year-old forward. I liked this kid. Got two goals last night and was all over the ice. He kept in the play and has great moves. Where ever the puck was he was. Laid some nice hits and gave 100% every shift. No floating for this kid and should stick for main camp. Deans type of player who plays with alot of heart.

Graham Telford: Big forward who is around 6'3". A grinder type who looked to like the rough stuff. Another player who would rather run you over than be fancy. An old fashioned forward who plays it tough.

These were the guys who stood out most in my mind. There were alot of great players out there and our future looks bright. The best goal of the night was by 15 year-old Starday Bear. This kid let a bullet go from the face-off circle that hit the top left hand corner.

Now with so many players returning from last years team how do we make room? I think we will see these rookies pushing the vets for their jobs and will see some vets gone. I think Eldon and the rest of the scouting staff did a great job with our drafting.

I'm sure there were other posters from here who have been to the rink and i would love to hear your input.

Scout

Scout
08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
The intersquad game did not show alot last night. We have to remember alot of these kids it is their first camp. They probably played a hesistant game and were terrified to make a glaring mistake. Most of these kids were so nervous they were probably puking before the game. I agree there didn't seem to be alot of heart put in the game but i think nerves played the most part in that.

I saw Sauer and alot of other vets at the game last night. Sauer looks more like a body builder than a hockey player. He is huge this year and put on alot of muscle. Rumsey is another player who looks to have put on some beef.

Now main camp starts this afternoon with fitness testing. The rookies that move up will get a big awakening. I'm sure as camp goes on the rookies will get more comfortable and show what they can do. Dean and Dave will play a big part in settling them down.

Scout

MidgetAAA
08-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanx Scout on the update on Matt. He is a good kid that always gives 110%.

Scout
08-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Check your e-mail.

Scout

Flathead
08-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I saw Sauer and alot of other vets at the game last night. Sauer looks more like a body builder than a hockey player. He is huge this year and put on alot of muscle. Rumsey is another player who looks to have put on some beef.

Scout

I was talking to one of our scouts and he was telling me that at the end of last year Dean told the boys to get bigger. By the sounds of things they have listened. I saw Brisebois and Leovold, I would say each of them put on 30 lbs. :thumb:
Also I was wondering who, if anyone, we have for Euro's at camp??

Scout
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I know Rakos has reported and has been skating with the vets. Lelkes is a no show so far.

Scout

Scout
08-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Goalies:
Moir 19
Hill 16
Christjansen 18
Curtis 15
Yonkman 17
Rundell 17

Forwards and D
Fransoo 19
Benke 17
Alexander 17
LaRochelle 18
Wilkinson 17
Cole 15
Manery 16
Mistelbacher 18
Kelly 17
Cuminsky 15
Desloges 20
Brisebois 18
Toulmin 16
Neibrandt 16
Simchuk 16
Moir 17
Eichel 18
Rakos 18
Sauer 18
Garrioch 17
Schulz 19
Lloyd 19
Postma 16
Dube 17
Geiger 15
Friesen 15
Dowling 15
Schenderling 17
Malchuk 17
Mistelbacher 15
Tassone 16
Hunter 20
Leovold 18
Ireland 16
Wudrick 15
Falk 17
Wasmuth 19
Smith 17
Leckovic 18
Hengen 18
Dafoe 18
Claffey 16
Rumsey 19
Smith (Chris) 18
Bzdel 16
Oatway 15
Gerrans 15
Cheveldave 19
Davis 17
Nelson 17
Aspenlind 19
Cote 17
Knelson 18
Foucault 15
Murray 19
Schenderling 19
Byczynski 17
Telford 16
Gervais 15

Scout

Oh-Vee
08-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Glad to see that Oatway made it to the main camp. He was a kid that impressed me every time that I saw him. Nothing spectacular but good solid two way play. He wasn't a guy that I was keying on so I didn't have his number commited to memory to start the Intra Squad game but it didn't take long.

On an different topic, and I really should start a new thread for this but it is late and I have played 18 holes (shot a 78, thank you very much) and driven to Lethbridge and back today so I won't. Anyways. I was quite disapointed to hear that there is a $5 charge to get into the main camp intra squad game. Not that I mind paying the money to support the team but it can't always be about trying to make a buck or two. I think that a non perishable food item for the Salvation Army (or who ever) would be a great promotion for this game. You would get out 10 times as many people and do some good work at the same time.

Scout
08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I looked over main camp lists from the camp yesterday and see we have 2-20 year-olds and 10-19 year-olds. All but Cheveldave is a carry over from last year. I can't see Dean and company carrying this old of a team this year. I expect lots of movement.

Moir-19(G)
Fransoo-19(D)
Desloges-20(F)
Schulz-19(D)
Lloyd-19(D)
Hunter-20(F)
Wasmuth-19(F)
Rumsey-19(D)
Murray-19(F)
Schenderling-19(F)
Aspenlind-19(F)
Cheveldave-19

Gotta be movement.

Scout

Toswammi
08-28-2005, 10:10 AM
To me it looks like Schulz and Fransoo are the expendable ones on the back end and will need good camps to stay in swift or else they will likely go elsewheres. Up front i really dont expect Murray and Wasmuth the stay with the team past Christmans either. That would be 4 players.
How about eventually trading Moir for an astronomical price at the deadline and play Yonkman the rest of the way, just throwing that out there.

charliehorse
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Wasmuth and Murray will both be here, none of the rookie are physically strong enough toi play at this level. Who are you kidding? And there is no way that they will trade Moir, hes one of the leauges best tenders!!!!!!!!!! :groovy:

Flathead
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I looked over main camp lists from the camp yesterday and see we have 2-20 year-olds and 10-19 year-olds. All but Cheveldave is a carry over from last year. I can't see Dean and company carrying this old of a team this year. I expect lots of movement.

Moir-19(G)
Fransoo-19(D)
Desloges-20(F)
Schulz-19(D)
Lloyd-19(D)
Hunter-20(F)
Wasmuth-19(F)
Rumsey-19(D)
Murray-19(F)
Schenderling-19(F)
Aspenlind-19(F)
Cheveldave-19

Gotta be movement.

Scout
I would say from this list that Schulz, Fransoo, Lloyd, Murray and Cheveldave would be on the list for trades. I like Wasmuth and Schenderling but they might be on the bubble as well. I can't see us keeping that many 19 year olds either, so something will have to happen.?

Oh-Vee
08-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Saw a bit of main camp last night as I chased my two year old daughther around the rink.

Wudrick: His skating is what stood out the most for me. He was able to keep up just fine with the older guys. He will need to put on some pounds however as he got knocked off the puck quite easily a couple of times.

Leckovic: Boris was up to his old tricks. Yapping, glove in the face, slash to the ankles. Man I like that kid. He had some good jump out there and showed a bit of skill with the puck as well. I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do over a full season and healthy.

Dafoe: I always thought that he was going to be a top 4 d-man in this league. Last year he looked a bit nervous at times, like any mistake and he was in the press box for the next two weeks. Last night he was poised and played quite well. It looks like he has bulked up over the summer as he was able to handle some of the older guys in front of the net.

Look forward to seeing what happens tonight and against the Tigers on Tuesday.