PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Report - Day 1 (Rookies)

Shinyshoes
08-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Black VS Grey.
According to the sheets that were given out at the door. Rosters were:

Black Team:
Goal:
Brett Patchett (90) (Black Jersey)
Jeff Willetts (89) (Green Jersey)

Defence:
Mike Scarborough (90)
Jayson Reardon (90)
Rory Connop (90)
Patrick Kozyra (89)
Jeremie Perron(90)

Forward:
Luke Betts (89)
Shawn Hunter (89)
Ian Robertson (90)
Charlie Smith (89)
Cassidy Mappin (90)
Dieter Gillanders (90)
Jordan Oystrick (89)
Spencer Edwards (90)
Justin Foley (90)

Grey Team:

Goal:
Travis Rolheiser (89) (Grey Jersey)
Dylan Crawford (90) (Orange Jersey)

Defence:
Paul Levarsky (89)
Zak Stebner (90)
Jordan Barker (90)
Lewis Laczko (89)
Mitchell Getzlaf (90)

Forward:

Andrew Lefebvre (90)
Brandon Sutter (89)
Alex Poulter (89)
Kyle Scott (89)
Nathan Arnott (89)
Mike Krgovich (90)
Levko Koper (90)
Dion LeBlue (90)
Tanner Dion (90)

Starting Golies Were Patchett for black and Rolheiser for grey.

1st goal of the game came with 23:15 left in the only 25:00 period, as Oystrick Shoveled a pass out from behind the net and found Smith waiting in the slot and beat Rolheiser to the far side.

With 13:19 to go in the only period, the black team switched golies to put Willitts in net. Good showing for Patchett…didn’t see much action but when he did, he was there and had 2 or 3 exceptional saves.

Second goal of the game came with 6:06 left, from 2 players that could become a common combination for Rebels fans in the near future. Brandon Sutter Got the puck and came off the side boards, and took a hard snap shot from the slot. Great save by Willetts, who steered it towards the corner, but Alex Poulter was there to intercept the puck and deposit into the open net.

Final Score was 1-1. Rolheiser Played a good game, making some great saves from in close. Sutter and Poulter looked great playing together. This is going to be a fun combination to watch over the next couple of years. Betts also Had a good session, making 2 or 3 big hits and having lots of speed. He could also be an early pick to make a charge for one of the open spots on our team.

The 9:30 Session put the same Grey team up against the Burgundy Team.

Grey Team's roster was the same as the previous session

Burgundy Team

Goal:
Morgan Clark (90) (Burgundy Jersey)
James Renouf (90) (Red Jersey)

Defence:
Colin Archer (90)
Tanner Wilson (89)
Tanner Korchinski (90)
Joel Kot (90)
Derek Wiedmer (90)

Forward:
Travis Briard (89)
Josh Gionfriddo (89)
Tyler Halliday (90)
Landon Hiebert (89)
Matt Fraser (90)
Craig Eisenhut (90)
Malcolm Tomlinson (89)
Jamie Mitchell (90)
Kyle Wells (90)

The Grey team had just finished a session, so they started the 2nd game of the back to back sessions with Dylan Crawford (yes, Mark Crawford of the Vancouver Canucks is his dad) in net. The Burgundy team started Morgan Clark.

1st goal of the second session came for the Burgundy as Josh Gionfriddo won a faceoff deep in the Grey team’s Zone. Tanner Wilson wound up and sent a laser threw traffic to the top corner of the net. Beautiful shot.

2nd goal of the game came for team grey as Brandon Sutter Came down the right wing and fired a shot to the far top corner. Probably a shot that Clark should have had, but still a nice shot from Sutter.

Final score of the Second session was 1-1. Mike Krgovich had a good first session, and we really started to notice him in the grey team’s second session. Good speed, good shot, and never gives up. May have to work on the defencive side of his game, but I liked what I saw in the 2 sessions. Colin Archer also showed good signs on defence. He seems like a very solid, stay at home defenceman, but if he gets the chance to go with the rush, he does, and does it well. Josh Gionfriddo Also will be a great addition to this team this year. Arguably the best player on the ice for team burgundy.

Session 3 Placed team Black against Team Burgundy. Rosters Remained the same as the other sessions. Golies were Willitts for Black and Renouf for Burgundy.

50 Seconds into the session, Tyler Halliday Streaked down the Left Side, and took a wrist shot that went off the Golies Stick and bounced up 2 feet. It eventually ended up in the net but the ref waived it off. I thought it was in, and should have counted, but it is only training camp, so I wont get down on the refs too much just yet.

Not much action with these 2 teams threw the first half of the session, and the only 2 plays worth mentioning was a span in which the Burgundy team played a good 3 minutes with 6 skaters on the ice. They went threw about 4 line changes before they realized and rectified it. The other play worth mentioning was a goaltending change for black to put in Patchett for the balance of the game.

Travis Briard showed good signs this session, and is likely one who will make the first round of cuts. 1st round choice Cassidy Mappin also was playing well, and was obviously here to show why he was a first rounder.

Afternoon Sessions:

Burgundy vs. Grey

Rosters were the same as the morning session, and Starting goalies were Rolheiser for Grey and Clark for the Burgundy team.

No Scoring and no real big plays in this session, so lets go straight to standout players.

Again, Sutter, Poulter and new to that line for this session, Levko Koper all were very impressive. Sutter and Poulter have easily been the best 2 players in the entire rookie camp. Gionfriddo again played well, but may not be playing to his full ability simply due to a lack of equivalent talent on his team. Tanner Wilson on Defence for Burgundy was again a solid player, and Paul Levarsky played well on defence for the grey team as well.

Grey vs. Black

Rosters again the same, in goal for Grey was Dylan Crawford and in goal for Black was Brett Patchett.

2 minutes into the game and grey takes the early lead. Nathan Arnott won a faceoff deep in the Black teams zone and Zak Stebner leans into a shot from the point threw traffic low to the close point.

Less than a minute later, the black team gets control and a scramble insues deep in the grey teams zone. After about 4 or 5 wacks from various players, Shawn Hunter finally gets a hold of the puck and burries it to the far side. 1-1 game.

With 19:50 to go, the black team re-takes the lead on a 3 on 2 rush….not a pretty play by any means but Hunter took the puck in and put it on net, and it appears to go off of Cassidy Mappin’s toe and into the net. 2-1 Black.

At 9:37, Alex Poulter managed to poke check a defenceman at the blueline and had a clearcut breakaway from the centerline in. He makes a nice triple deke to the forhand and puts it behind Willitts, who entered the game and the mid-point. Very nice goal.

Black made it 3-2 and retook the lead when Hunter made a nice pass across the crease from the corner where Mappin was waiting and deposited the easy goal. And less than a minute later, when the same line again had some pressure, and the puck came back to the point, where Patrick Kozyra wound up with a shot that squeaked threw Crawford, but not enough to get in the net. Unfortunatly for Crawford, Dieter Gillanders was the first player there and puts it into the open net to make it 4-2 Black which ends up being the final score.

Somebody finally put a fire under Hunters ass and we see the same player I remember from last years camp. Poulter, Sutter and Koper continue to lead the way. Defenceman Paul Levarsky looks very comfortable in there as a 16 yr old. Very smooth with the puck. The line of Mike Krgovich, Nathan Arnott, and Kyle Scott were very good, but none of them have really stood out from the others….could just be a nice line combination, but I’m not sure if any of them have the raw talent to make a run at a spot on the team.

Black vs. Burgundy

Starting Golies were James Renouf for Burgundy and Jeff Willetts for Black

Less than 2 minutes in and Hunter Continues on his afternoon tear as he blows a wrist shot past Renouf. 1-0 Black.

At the 23:30 mark, Shawn Hunter and Tanner Wilson Decide to drop the gloves. Hunter got in 2 shots early that put Wilson down to his knees, but popped right back up and continued along. Hunter landed 1 or 2 more punches and then Wilson replied with 3-4 of his own before the linesmen stepped in. Both players were checking their noses before leaving the Ice.

Charlie Smith Extended black’s lead at the 18:00 minute mark with a slap shot from the top of the circle that beat Renouf to the glove side. 2-0 Black.

Burgundy cut the lead in half when Tanner Wilson took a shot from the point and Matt Fraser buried the rebound. 2-1 Black

On the ensuing faceoff, Fraser thought that the goal wasn’t enough, so he and Cassidy Mappin dropped the gloves and have a little tussle. Both players land 4 or 5 shots a piece before the hip toss by Mappin brings in the linesmen. Good bout

After a mad scramble at the 8:34 mark, Jamie Mitchell Buries a rebound for the Burgundy team to make it a 2-2 Tie.

With 3:45 left to go, Colin Archer and Ian Robertson get into a pushing match that ends up in them dropping the gloves. Kind of a mismatch so its probably a good thing that it didn’t last long. Archer weighs in at 163 and Robertson at 207 so you get my drift….. Archer goes in swinging and lands a couple, Robertson only gets 1 in before they go down, and was mad he didn’t get a chance to get his revenge.

Final Score 2-2.

charlie
08-25-2005, 10:38 PM
hey shiney

thanks for the update...keep em coming please.

charlie

Chevy
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
How do the draft picks from last year (90's) look?

D.A.
08-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Players that caught my eye:

Black:
--Jayson Reardon - no idea who this kid is or where he came from, but I liked the looks of him on D
--Scarborough and Kozyra also looked solid on the blueline
--Up front, I liked Betts, Oystrick and C. Smith
--Mappin has obvious skills and I think he'll be a good one for us in the future
--Hunter has great hands and hockey sense, but just seems to lack the jump he's going to need at this level

Grey:
--Lavarsky and Stebner both looked good on D
--The Sutter-Poulter combo looked really good! I guess I was too busy watching these two to notice too many others on that team

Burgundy:
--Tanner Wilson - only guy that stood out to me on this team's D - great shot
--I liked Gionfriddo up front, but the one that really caught my eye was Hiebert - gritty, with offensive capabilities
--Briard and Halliday also impressed