PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Report - Day 1 (Main camp)

Shinyshoes
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Team Black Roster is as follows:

Goal:
James Reimer (88) (Black Jersey)
Kirk Irving (86) (Burgundy Jersey)

Defence:
Vladimir Mihalik (87)
Paul Kurceba (87)
Daniel Poulsen (88)
Eric Frere (88)
John Flatters (88)

Forward:
Garrett Klotz (88)
Kyle Klym (88)
Michael Falk (87)
Cody Rockson (87)
Mario Lamoureux (88)
Jared Walker (86)
Matt Sawa (87)
Roman Wick (85)
Tanner Gillies (87)
Ted Vandermeer (86)

Team White:
Andrew Leslie (86) (White Jersey)
Brad Eidsness (89) (Blue Jersey)

Defence:
Matthew Hansen (85)
Pierre-Paul Lamoureux (87)
Shaden Moore (85)
Jonathon Smith (87)
Steve Walker (88)

Forward:
Ashton Rome (85)
Karey Pieper (87)
Andre Chabot (86)
Matt Cline (88)
Adam Ross (87)
Michael Iorio (88)
Drew Hoff (88)
Devon LeBlanc (88)
Jordan Knackstedt (88)
Joel Henituik (85)

The ref was Kyle Rehman. The Starting Goalies Were Leslie for White and Reimer For Black.

We showed up just a little late, just in time to see Kyle Klym receive a penalty break. For those of you who don’t attend camp, penalties called in camp result in the person who was called gets on one knee just outside the faceoff circle, and the person the infraction was done to gets the puck on the faceoff dot, and the ref blows the whistle and play starts, essentially giving the player with the puck a breakaway. Klym tried a fancy move and lost the puck before he even got to the net, so not much to report there.

At 9:53, Jordan Knackstedt got in close and roofed a shot to the top corner after a mad scramble in close. Nice Shot from Knackstedt who also put on about 20 lbs this summer. This kid is gonna be good for us this season.

At the 4:26 mark, Gilles and P.P. Lamereux were jousting out front of the net, so on the insuing faceoff, the 2 dropped their gloves and went at it. Gilles started off the fight left handed, and got a few in, then Lamereux came back at the end, and got in a couple of shots, but nothing much for either player.

Right after the Gilles / Lamereux bout, Andre Chabot dropped his gloves and pointed to John Flatters. Flatters was somewhat shocked, but promptly dropped his gloves. More of a dance than a fight, nobody really landing anything, but good to see Flatters not backing down.

With about 1:36 left in the Jared Walker was given a penalty break, and had Reimer beat, but lost the puck off the end of his stick.

The main camp players were playing 2, 30 minute periods. In the second period, Starting Golies were Irving For Black and Eidsness for White.

The first goal of the second period was a nice backhand shot by Roman Wick, which went off the far post and in. Rebels fans should get used to seeing this guy score this year.

With 24:20 Left to go in the period, Newcommer Michazel Falk came in to the offencive zone stickhandling with his head down, and Joel Henitiuk Made him pay with a huge hit which stopped Falk in his tracks. Kudos for Falk for popping right back up and continuing with the play, but wow…what a hit. Welcome to the Dub, Falk.

At 16:58, Frere got caught grabbing Rome’s Jersey and Rome was awarded a Free Break. Rome made no mistake picking the top corner over Irving’s Glove Hand. 2-1 White.

At 14:31 White tallied again when Knackstedt and Michael Iorio went in on a 2 on 1. Knackstedt Kept the puck and fired a nice shot to the far post and in. With the extra weight Jordan put on this summer this kid is going to be good.

At 12:02 of the period, White extended their lead when Henitiuk got a partial break, and Kurceba hooked him just enough to get a penalty, so Henitiuk went in on the penalty break and made a nice move to the backhand and beat Irving to the Glove Side. 4-1 White.

With 6:03 left to go in the period, After some sustained pressure, the puck popped back to Shaden Moore, who let a weak shot go about 3 feet in the air. Irving Put his glove up in the air to make a routine catch, and the puck bounced off the top of his glove and into the net. Tough Break for Irving, and the score is now 5-1

Final Score, 5-1. (apparently I missed the first goal from team black, so final score was actually 5-2) Some Noteables:

As mentioned, Knackstedt has put on 10-20 lbs, as well as Frere. Good to see those 2 sticking to their off-season training. Both will fit in well with much bigger roles this season.

Michael Iorio Also had a good session, and played well with Henituik on a line for the white team.

Our New Import, Vladimir Mihalik Comes as advertised. He is listed at 6 foot 8 and a half and is easily the tallest player on the ice. He Carries himself very well on the ice for a guy of his size and will easily be one of our top defencemen this season. One of the most surprising Things he brings is he also has some talented hands. Durring the 1 hour Goalie Session, some of the vets, and Mihalik were on the Ice as shooters, and Mihalik made numerous moves and shots that made a number of our jaws drop.

Gilles is another one who has put on about 10-20 lbs and looks good on the ice, and Daniel Poulsen will be one of the players who will challenge for one of the open defencive spots.

J23
08-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the great recap! Please keep 'em coming! I'm in Kelowna, so I unfortunately can't see the Rebels camp, but I have a friend participating so the recap is nice to read! :)

Shinyshoes
08-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the great recap! Please keep 'em coming! I'm in Kelowna, so I unfortunately can't see the Rebels camp, but I have a friend participating so the recap is nice to read! :)
who is your friend? that way i can give you a more detailed report on his specific progress.....if you want......

Rebel66
08-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Awesome job, Shiny! Handy having that laptop eh! I hereby nominate you to do game recaps for the entire season! :D

Keep up the good work!

Shinyshoes
08-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Awesome job, Shiny! Handy having that laptop eh! I hereby nominate you to do game recaps for the entire season! :D

Keep up the good work!The only reason the recap stayed coherant is because they dont sell beer at training camp......you may want to re-evaluate your nomination after the home opener. ;) :thumb:

Rebel Madness
08-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks Shiney...great job :thumb:

Unable to get to training camp,plan on going to the Black and White game on Sunday.See you then

Rebel66
08-26-2005, 12:19 AM
The only reason the recap stayed coherant is because they dont sell beer at training camp......you may want to re-evaluate your nomination after the home opener. ;) :thumb:

You don't frighten me! That would make them even more entertaining!

RDRebelsfan
08-26-2005, 05:45 AM
thanks for the recaps man, appreciate it!

D.A.
08-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Great recaps, Shiny! Just a couple questions:

1. Are you sure it was Flatters in the first fight? We thought it was Klym.

2. I'm pretty sure the final score was 4-3, not 5-2. That would also explain the goalie being pulled at the end.

Shinyshoes
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Great recaps, Shiny! Just a couple questions:

1. Are you sure it was Flatters in the first fight? We thought it was Klym.

2. I'm pretty sure the final score was 4-3, not 5-2. That would also explain the goalie being pulled at the end. Both of those are entirely possible, I was more paying attention to the players who 'Might' make the team as opposed to the actual score.

D.A.
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Klym, then. They had been jawing at each other during the previous face-off. Klym didn't seem to want to go either time, but showed up when he got called out. And hey - if you're going to play the way Klym was playing up to that point, you're going to get called out. :)

I totally agree about Knackstedt - I think he's going to be a good one for us. I also thought Walker, Wick and Rome looked great, as expected.

I like Henitiuk as well and really hope he finds a good home in the dub this year.

frontrow fan
08-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Had to go yesterday just to see this new d-man!! He is a big guy!! standing on the ice, the top of the boards are actually "below" this guys "crotch!!!"
He can literally walk over the boards to get in the bench.... and he doesn't look clumsy out there either, which is a nice surprise. I thought he had good hands as well, but he also has about a 10 foot reach!! I thought Hansen looked pretty good as well, interested to see more of him today. What did anyone think of "lil Lamoreaux"???
:wave:

J23
08-26-2005, 11:17 PM
who is your friend? that way i can give you a more detailed report on his specific progress.....if you want......

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to keep quiet for now. I know that he reads these boards and he probably wouldn't be too happy if his name showed up all of a sudden. I've read about him in your recaps for the past few days so that'll do me for now. Thanks for the recaps though, they're great! :)