PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Report - Day 2 (Rookies)

Shinyshoes
08-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Morning Session

Burgundy vs. Black

Rosters Were the same as yesterdays sessions, Starting goalies were Clark for Burgundy and Patchett for black. Looks Like Patrick Kozyra sustained an ankle injury and was not dressed. He was in section ‘C’ With Ice on his Ankle. Tough Break as he was on who was expected to challenge for one of the open spots on Defence.

At 22:31 Matt Fraser intercepts a clearing pass from ?? Joel Kot and fires a shot from the hash marks to the top glove-hand corner of Patchett. Beautiful Shot.

Goaltending Change for Black at the mid point of the game to put Willetts in Goal.

With about 45 seconds left in the game, black pulled the goalie in favor of the extra attacker. Unfortunatly the couldn’t win the faceoff deep in the burgundy team’s end, and it resulted in the burgundy team getting the puck and firing it down the ice into the open net. I didn’t catch who shot it, but it would have been unassisted. Possibly Tyler Halliday but im not entirely sure.

No real standouts in this game. Gionfriddo Continues to try to do everything himself, but it will be really interesting to see what he has to offer when you put him on a line with some people the same talent level as him.

I still like what Betts has to offer and I think he will be one who sticks around for a while in this camp.

Spencer Edwards is one of those spark plug kids who is just begging to grow about 6 inches and 80 pounds. He came into camp at 5 foot 7 and 136 pounds but plays like Ted Vandermeer did when he first came to camp… I love his grit, and he despite his size, he is not scared to get in and bump along the boards to fight for the puck.

Hunter had another poor performance, and needs to pull up his socks if he is going to stick around much longer.

Grey vs. Burgundy

Small Roster Change for the Grey team, as Eidsness Switches spots with Rolheiser today and Eidsness will be with team Grey for the day and Rolheiser will be up with the main camp for the day. Starting Goalies were Crawford for Grey and Renouf for Burgundy.

At 21:34 the Grey Team made it 1-0 after some long sustained pressure by the Sutter – Poulter – Koper Line, the puck came back to the point and Zak Stebner let it fly to the top blocker – Hand corner over a screened Renouf.

At the 15:54 mark Andrew Lefebvre is rewarded for his hard work this game, and gets a backhand to the far post after a scramble in front of the Burgundy Goal. Didn’t see much of him the 1st day but really noticed him in this first session. Digging hard and going hard to the net. 2-0 Grey.

At the 12:27 mark, Halliday picked up a botched clearing attempt and walked in and beat Dylan Crawford on the blocker side. 2-1 Grey.

With 3:11 to go, Grey extended their lead when Renouf made and out standing save, but Tanner Dion was at the side of the net and waiting to burry rebound. 3-1 Grey

With 1:34 to go, Grey Tallied again when Kyle Scott made a nice feed across the crease to Mike Krgovich who slammed it home to make it 4-1 Grey which ended up being the final score.

Grey vs. Black

Starting Golies were Eidness for Grey and Willetts for Black.

Game started off early as Grey’s Sutter-Poulter Combo got free when Sutter Poked the puck free from the last defenceman and he and Poulter went in on a 2 on 0. Poulter ended it by feeding a beauty pass to Sutter who put it in the open net. 1-0 Grey

Black tied it up at the 22:47 mark when ?? Mappin?? Fired a centering pass that went all the way out to the point where Jayson Reardon was waiting and fired a wrist shot that beat Eidsness threw the 5-hole. Nice feed out from whoever it was.

Grey Retook the lead when Nathan Arnott and Mike Krgovich came in on a 2 on 0 and Arnott Fed Krgovich who brought the puck back to the other side of the net and caught goaltender Willetts Going the wrong way. Willetts Still got a toe on it but it trickled into the net behind him. 2-1 Grey.

At 9:19 Grey extended their lead when Koper was awarded a free break after Luke Betts gave him a 2 handed chop to the legs. (and not the first chop Betts has taken this camp) Koper made no mistake and used the triple deke to the backhand and beat Patchett to the glove side. 3-1 Grey.

At 2:08 Poulter Made it 4-1 on a nice backhand deke threw the 5 hole on Patchett.

Afternoon session

Burgundy vs Black
Golies were Clark and Willetts

1st goal goes to black with Oystrick putting a pass out from behind the net onto the tape of Luke betts who shot it short side on Clark. 1-0 Black

First fight of the day happened when Oystrik for Black drops his gloves and before he could quite get his helmet off, Wiedmer had decided he would go with him. Wiedmer got the only shot in and then they fell to the ice and the refs jumped in

Matt Fraser got the free break off of a Rory Connop slashing penalty and Fraser made no mistake going low to the stick side on Willetts. 1-1 Tie

Colin Archer took the lead for team Burgundy when he took a pass from Hiebert and one timed it home. 2-1 Burgundy

Burgundy made it 3-1 when Fraser took a pass from Braird and went in all alone from the blue line and beat Patchett low to the stick side. Apparently Fraser didn’t think that was good enough because after the goal, Fraser and Oystrick squared off for a little fist-y-cuffs and we saw what was, by far, the best fight in the rookie camp, with both players landing 4 or 5 good punches.

That’s how things ended in that game.

After that session I had to go, but D.A. PROMISED he would have a recap of the remaining 2 sessions.

Lots of cuts expected tonight, and we should be down to 2 or 3 teams total tomorrow when the rookies and main camp are combined.

D.A.
08-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Shiny was obviously drinking quite heavily when he thought he heard me say that I'd do recaps. I can, however give a scoring summary of each game. It's pretty easy, as each was 1-0.

In the first of the two matches, Black beat Grey on a goal by Mappin, assisted by Hunter. Also of note was a really good fight between Barker and Betts.

In the latter game, it was Burgundy 1-0 over Grey, with Halliday scoring on a nice feed from Fraser. No fights - sorry.

Rookies that impressed me in the afternoon sessions include Fraser, Levarsky, Sutter, Poulter, Betts, Oystrick, C. Smith, Hunter and Mappin.