PDA

View Full Version : Wikner arrives...

Triton
08-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Brandon's new Swedish import has arrived in the Wheat City, set to begin his Western Hockey League career as a member of the defenidng Eastern Conference Champion Wheat Kings.
19-year old left-winger John Wikner arrived in Brandon earlier this week and hit the ice for the first time on Wednesday in an informal skate with current and former members of the WHL club.

A former ninth round pick of the National Hockey League's Ottawa Senators in the 2004 Entry Draft, Wikner was Brandon's first round selection (42nd overall) in last month's Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.
At 6'1" and 182 lbs., Wikner brings some size and skill to the Wheat Kings' lineup, joining 18-year old Finnish forward Sami Sandell as Brandon's two import players this season.

"In Swedish hockey, I think he's regarded as a very physical player and I think he's looking forward to playing major junior hockey," Wheat Kings' coach and general manager Kelly McCrimmon told James Shewaga of the Brandon Sun this week.
Wikner replaces 19-year old center Jakub SIndel, who returned home to play professionally for Sparta Prague - a team that his father currently coaches.
In 32 games with Frolunda HC Indians of the Swedish junior league last winter, Wikner scored ten goals and had 24 points. He also accumulated 56 minutes in penalties.

"Of course I'm excited," Wikner told the Brandon Sun. "We don't have the same game (in Sweden). It's more rougher here, smaller rink, more viewers that watch the game, so I'm excited to play."

While Wikner is set to begin his major junior career in Brandon, his twin brother Fred is set to do the same with the Cougars in Prince George. Fred Wikner, a Calgary Flames' draft pick, was taken 12th overall by the Cougars in July's Import draft.
The Wheat Kings are scheduled to open up training camp next week at the Keystone Centre, with the club's first pre-season test on September 9th in Swift Current against the Broncos.

As well,6'4 Penoka product Mark Louis has been invited to Washington's rookie camp after a stint at the Rangers rookie camp this past month.Although Louis wasn't drafted,that sure isn't stopping NHL clubs from contacting the rearguard.