PDA

View Full Version : Coach C on New Rules

Tipped Off
08-29-2005, 12:31 PM
From the Everett Herald
http://heraldnet.com/stories/05/08/27/100spo_silvertips001.cfm

Bring it on
Rule changes should make WHL game faster, more offensive, Silvertips' coach says

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Western Hockey League games will have a little different feel this season.

And that's just fine with Everett coach Kevin Constantine.

The WHL has instituted several rule changes for the 2005-06 season, and Constantine has fully endorsed those changes.

"All the changes that were made I thought were good things," Constantine said. "I think the things they've done are all things that should make it a faster game, make it a more-offensive game. Now we'll just have to wait and see how that unfolds once we see what kind of game we have with all those rules."

The new rules include:

* Games still tied after overtime will be decided in a shootout.

* The red line has been removed for passes, eliminating the two-line offside pass.

* A goaltender crease has been added behind the net, limiting the area in which the goaltender can handle the puck.

* Shooting the puck into the stands from the defensive zone is now a two-minute penalty.

* Teams icing the puck from the defensive zone will not be allowed to change lines.

* The tag-up rule will be in effect for delayed offsides, meaning players can vacate the offensive zone to bring themselves back onside.

* There has been a general tightening of standards on penalties, including interference, hooking, holding and diving.

The most-visible change is the addition of the shootout for breaking ties. Each team will have three shooters take penalty shots, and if the tie still isn't broken, the teams will continue in sudden death until the tie is broken.

"I coached before in the International Hockey League and we finished games with a shootout," Constantine said. "For me it's no fun going to an athletic contest without seeing who wins and loses. Ties are boring to me, I'd rather see a winner and loser. This is a fun way to do it. One of the most-entertaining moments in hockey is when a shooter is alone against the goalie, so I think it's a great way to end a hockey game."

There have been grumblings among opposing teams and fans that the other rule changes, specifically the new icing rule and the increased emphasis on diving, will have more effect on Everett's style of play than most.

Constantine disagrees.

"If you look at the way we do our scrimmages here it's all about keeping the game moving and having less whistles," Constantine said. "It's a more-fun way to watch the game. So I think from a fan perspective, anything in the game that can keep the puck in play and cut down the waiting around for referees to drop pucks in face-off situations are good. So I have no problem."

Constantine just hopes the stricter enforcing of minor penalties pans out.

"I thought the No. 1 thing last year was we just needed to adhere to the rulebook," Constantine said. "Call the hookings, call the holdings, call the slashings. They're all rulebook things that seem to get ignored. There's mention that there's going to be a little tighter standards on those things this year, so that's the No. 1 thing I want."

Local impact: Through the first two days of camp, James Gabriel had the greatest impact among a substantial local contingent of players attending camp.

But considering Gabriel weighs in at 270 pounds, it's hard for Gabriel to not make an impact.

Gabriel is one of several local players invited to camp who are hoping to make an impression on the coaches.

"Hopefully I'm making an impression," Gabriel said. "I'm just doing my best, putting in a lot of hard work, trying to get up to speed and meshing with the guys a little bit."

Gabriel, a 1987-born forward who resides in Marysville, is one of seven Puget Sound-area residents attending camp, including three from Snohomish County. The other Snohomish County residents are 1989-born defensemen Alex Seman (Lake Stevens) and R.J. Cetnarowski (Mukilteo). Also attending are 1987-born forwards Damir Alic (Kent), Kevin Quinn (Bothell) and Justin Ross (Shoreline) and 1989-born forward Paulus Shiferaw (Seattle).

Gabriel spent last season playing for Warroad High School in Minnesota alongside former Everett resident and first-round NHL draft pick T.J. Oshie. Through the first two days of the camp he's made his physical presence known, including a spirited fight with Everett's largest returning player, defenseman Randy King.

"It's a good experience," Gabriel said. "It's fast paced with good teams and good players. It's a lot of fun."

Slap shots: Goaltender Leland Irving arrived Friday and participated in the scrimmages. The 17-year-old Irving, last season's No. 2 netminder, missed the first day of camp while attending a goalie camp in Vancouver, British Columbia. ... Seventeen-year-old Zach Sim, who Everett drafted as a defenseman but played exclusively as a forward last season, has been moved back to defense for training camp. ... One of the most-visible players the first two days was Kyle Beach, the team's first-round pick in this year's Bantam Draft. On both days the 15-year-olf Beach, a prototypical power forward, managed to score at least one goal and get into at least one fight, including a Friday-morning tilt with the mammoth Gabriel.