PDA

View Full Version : Sutter suggests only 3 16-year-olds on team

D.A.
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Those being Sutter, Poulter and Gionfriddo. I guess that leaves Betts and Halliday out of the mix. If you also figure Smith, Moore and Mappin to be out, that leaves us with 24 left:

G: Leslie & Reimer
D: Mihalik, P. Lamoureux, Frere, Flatters, Kurceba, Hanson
F: M. Lamoureux, Rome, Klym, Sutter, LeBlanc, Falk, Vandermeer, Poulter, Wick, Knackstedt, Walker, Gionfriddo, Klotz, Pieper, Gillies, Cline

You gotta figure on a forward being moved for a defenceman at this point...

charlie
09-01-2005, 02:02 PM
did sutter say only 3-16's or did he say those three and then go from there? i wouldn't count betts out yet. has mario made his decision yet? i sure hope he plays here...three years watching this guy really excites me.

D.A.
09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
You're right. I didn't read closely enough. If Betts and Halliday are better than an older guy, they can still make the team. I still think we'll see a trade, though.

charlie
09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
i think you're right about a trade...it will be interesting to see what unfolds. were you surprised that sutter cut down the dmen so quickly? i was led to believe that kozyra had a good chance to make the team and then to be let go so quickly really surprised me.

Trav
09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
The number of 16's and Americans on the team. Isn't there a limit of the number of Americans allowed on the Canadian teams?

D.A.
09-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Apparently, the league didn't go through with that, so we can have as many as we like. At this point, that looks like 4.

WHL Rules
09-02-2005, 02:34 AM
They also changed the rule on 16 year olds. It's now an average of four 16 year olds instead of a maximum of four per team. There will be 80 16 year olds allowed to play in the WHL, but while one team might only have one or two another team might go with five or six. Actually Brandon Sutter (and Alex Plante from the Hitmen) will not count as 16 year olds under this rule since both played more than 75% of their teams playoff games last season as 15 year olds (so called "grand-fathering").

Source: Canadian Development Model - Regulation Interpretations (http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2005/i/may2005_devmodel_e.pdf)

Tinner
09-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Goal

Leslie
Reimer

Defense

Flatters
Frere
Kurceba
Lamoureux
Mihalak
Smith......................I think he still might stay
Hanson

Forwards

Gillies
Klym
Chabot
Ross
Knackstedt
LeBlanc
Pieper
Poulter
Sutter
Vandermeer
Walker
Gionfriddo
Rome
Wick
Klotz
Cline

are my thoughts, but a trade is in the works involving a 20 yr old and others for a dman and a goal scorer........we'll see what happens in the upcoming weeks.

I wouldnt be surprised to see more than 3 16's as Brent has repeatily said this will be a young team.

D.A.
09-02-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty sure Smith is already back in Alaska. Also, Chabot was cut last Friday and Ross was released after the Black & White game.

Courtney08-
09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
the article that i just read did not say 3 16 year olds.. it said a couple that could mean 2-to like 6 there is no saying how many number wise.. he said he is extremely excited to see the talent of the younger kids and then will make decisions..

gizzy
09-02-2005, 02:24 PM
The Canadian development rules on the number of 16 year olds, and the number of americans, and so forth was just a recommendation. The WHL never agreed to it, or accepted anything and probably will not do so...at least as it reads.