PDA

View Full Version : 2007

Tinner
01-25-2005, 08:06 AM
In 2007, the Allan Cup has been confirmed in Alberta, also the Telus Cup (national midget AAA) is in Alberta, city to be announced (Red Deer is Bidding) and the memorial cup is in the west.

Who do think will be the successful bidder? as the memorial cup host.

There's talk that Red Deer will bid

All that said, the month of April 2007 could be a very exspensive month for a diehard hockey fan who lives in the area. :rolleyes:

IceMan
01-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Long time hockey fan, new WHL fan ..... why is it that not every team in the WHL Bids for the Memorial cup when it's our leagues turn to host it?

I'd think that there's not a team/city out there that wouldn't want it. But I read somewhere that so far only one QMJHL team has bid for next year's event. Is there an entry fee or something ?

grumphy
01-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Long time hockey fan, new WHL fan ..... why is it that not every team in the WHL Bids for the Memorial cup when it's our leagues turn to host it?

I'd think that there's not a team/city out there that wouldn't want it. But I read somewhere that so far only one QMJHL team has bid for next year's event. Is there an entry fee or something ?

Rink size, (seating capacity)

wango tango
01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I've heard Saskatoon will be bidding to be the host.

Doing a process of elimination among teams in the Eastern Conference...

Brandon - capacity too small.
Regina - held it last time Mem Cup was in the Eastern Conference, so out.
Prince Albert - capacity too small.
Moose Jaw - capacity too small.
Saskatoon - I'd be surprised if the city/team didn't put in a bid.

Calgary - could bid especially if the NHL mess is still unresolved.
Lethbridge - capacity too small.
Medicine Hat - capacity too small.
Swift Current - capacity too small.
Red Deer - successful track record of hosting events.

It could be a competition between Red Deer and Saskatoon for the 2007 Memorial Cup.

Rebel66
01-25-2005, 02:50 PM

It could be a competition between Red Deer and Saskatoon for the 2007 Memorial Cup.

I would totally expect that the Hitmen would bid for the event and they would be given serious consideration given the capacity of their building. I'm sure the league would see dollar signs in their eyes in this case.

grumphy
01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
I would agree------would be very suprised if Calgary did not bid and if they do would be very, very suprised if they didn't get it

wango tango
01-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Anyone else disappointed Mem Cup or World Juniors, etc are simply becoming about seating capacity and guaranteed bucks? There are a lot of wonderful hockey towns in the WHL who will no longer even get a sniff simply because of capacity.

I'd love to see a group of towns like Swift Current, Medicine Hat, and Lethbridge put in a joint bid for the World Juniors, pipe dream I know because everything seems to be going the way of the almight dollar and it has the potential to be a logistics nightmare. A consortium of teams wouldn't work for the Memorial Cup because there are not enough teams and games.

If the consensus is it's all about capacity and bucks then definately Calgary would be the from runner for a 2007 Memorial Cup with Saskatoon 2nd? Could Brent Sutter work a little political magic and lure the tourney to Red Deer over the other two larger centres?

grumphy
01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Yea it really stinks that us small maket teams are completly out of it, but thems the breaks I guess.

If any consotium would work in the west the one you suggest would be it, but it would still leave the powers to be with not having a rink big enough to hold the final.

It really does boil down to dollars :rolleyes:

I don't really think Sutter wants the MC torny for the reasons listed earlier, (he's a funny guy with a pretty hard set of moral bulding ideas). The worlds would be different but our next shot at it is a ways down the road.

Orv
01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I've heard Saskatoon will be bidding to be the host.

Doing a process of elimination among teams in the Eastern Conference...

Brandon - capacity too small.
Regina - held it last time Mem Cup was in the Eastern Conference, so out.
Prince Albert - capacity too small.
Moose Jaw - capacity too small.
Saskatoon - I'd be surprised if the city/team didn't put in a bid.

Lethbridge - capacity too small.
Medicine Hat - capacity too small.
Swift Current - capacity too small.
Red Deer - successful track record of hosting events.

I'm really confused why you have capacity too small put down for so many teams but they aren't too much smaller than Red Deer.

I'm going to use Lethbridge for an example. I've found a few different numbers for capacity but what is Red Deer's rink hold 5858? (that's one number I found but they are all similar). Lethbridge holds around 5479. That's not too much of a difference. Where is the line that makes Red Deer big enough and the rest too small?

I'm pretty sure that Lethbridge will make a bid for the Memorial Cup. They put in a bid last time and people around here were pretty confident that they were going to get it. There were rumblings that one reason the 'Canes didn't or wouldn't get the Memorial Cup is because Bryan Maxwell was in charge and was not liked by the committee. Whether that is true or not I don't know. I'm also pretty sure that last time they made a bid Enmax said that they would install a big video screen as well as extra seating (at the end with the curtain) if Lethbridge got it. Also whether that was completley legit or not is debatable. All in all I think they could put together a good bid to go compete with Red Deer, Calgary and Saskatoon.

The_Vulk
01-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Rink size should not be in the equation.

Remember, both Calgary and Vancouver where bidding to host the Memorial Cup that eventually went to Kelowna.

The team, and how strong it is (looks to be) is also a consideration.

Which then begs the question, should the host city's team be automatically in the tournament?

The NFL and the CFL don't do that, but they do have host cities for the championship game.

allkiller
01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't doubt it if Vancouver and Calgary both made bids again. I don't know about saskatoon's track record at all, but Red Deer could also put up a substancial bid i would imagine.

Shinyshoes
01-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm really confused why you have capacity too small put down for so many teams but they aren't too much smaller than Red Deer.

I'm going to use Lethbridge for an example. I've found a few different numbers for capacity but what is Red Deer's rink hold 5858? (that's one number I found but they are all similar). Lethbridge holds around 5479. That's not too much of a difference. Where is the line that makes Red Deer big enough and the rest too small?

Red Deer's Rink, when built, was built to be able to expand to just over 10,000 Seats. If Red Deer did bid, and get the 2007 Memorial Cup (Which i cant see happening) Im quite sure they would put the expanded seating into at least 1 end of the rink to bring the capacity to around 8000. From what I remember in Lethbridge, It would be Damn hard to put in extra seating there.....

As for the actual bid, I cant see it happening. Ever Since Sutter Took over the Rebels, He has said he doesnt want to host the memorial cup, because if his boys are going to play in the MC, they are going to earn their way there. On the other hand, Brandon Sutter (his son) is set to make the Rebels next year, and Brent Sutter the Father might convince Brent Sutter the Coach/GM/Owner that it might be better to secure a birth in the MC for his boy than chance it by winning the WHL.

Just my thoughts...

wango tango
01-26-2005, 12:14 PM
"I'm really confused why you have capacity too small put down for so many teams but they aren't too much smaller than Red Deer.

I'm pretty sure that Lethbridge will make a bid for the Memorial Cup. They put in a bid last time and people around here were pretty confident that they were going to get it. There were rumblings that one reason the 'Canes didn't or wouldn't get the Memorial Cup is because Bryan Maxwell was in charge and was not liked by the committee. Whether that is true or not I don't know. I'm also pretty sure that last time they made a bid Enmax said that they would install a big video screen as well as extra seating (at the end with the curtain) if Lethbridge got it. Also whether that was completley legit or not is debatable. All in all I think they could put together a good bid to go compete with Red Deer, Calgary and Saskatoon."

From the WHL Guide...

Lethbridge 4,784 standing 800
Red Deer 5,735 standing 1000
Kelowna (last years host) 6,007 standing 500

I just don't see Lethbridge having capacity enough to meet guaranteed money targets to the CHL/Hockey Canada. I also think it's too bad because southern Alberta has a lot of super hockey fans who would make the Memorial Cup a tremendous event.

Kelowna's rink is small when you compare it with the most recent three hosts.

2005 - London 9,000.
2004 - Kelowna 6,007.
2003 - Quebec City 15,339.

2006 it's the QMJHL's turn to host again, then in 2007 the dub's.

Chipper
01-26-2005, 12:30 PM
I would totally expect that the Hitmen would bid for the event and they would be given serious consideration given the capacity of their building. I'm sure the league would see dollar signs in their eyes in this case.
The bigest problem biding on the Memorial cup In NHL rinks is that they can't guaranty the dates needed to put it on. I the flames go far in the playoffs they can't comit to the whole tournament cause they would need the ice themeselves for the nhl games, If there were no conflicts Calgary would be a shoe in for it

Tinner
01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
just an update for you;

Red Deer is 6125 seated and about 800 standing. That said, if the upper deck was completely filled in that would add about 4000 - 5000 more seats. By filling in one end is roughly 2500. That would take seating to 8600 and with all the attached facilities, 10000 a game would be there. Red Deer's track record would allow one to assume every game would be a sellout.

But, only B. Sutter knows if he is going to bid!

Billy Blade
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
The projected strength of the host team is one of the biggest deciding factors in who gets to host the Memorial Cup. The Blades definitely will put a bid in to host if Lorne Molleken feels his club will be strong enough. In 1989 we hosted what (at the time) was one of the most successful Memorial Cup Championships in history. Our seating capacity can be (and has been) expanded very easily as well and corporate sponsorship is not a problem. It will very a very stiff competition this go around I think.

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't doubt it if Vancouver and Calgary both made bids again. I don't know about saskatoon's track record at all, but Red Deer could also put up a substancial bid i would imagine.

The Giants might just hold onto the money they would otherwise end up spending on a bid. They hosted the Top prospects game this year, have the WJHC's next year, and the city has the Olympics in 2010. I have very little doubt that Vancouver would not win a bid simply because the CHL will want to spread things around.

Also, since the last Dub host was in the BC division, I would suspect they will want to give another area a chance. My early bet would be Saskatoon, Calgary or Everett, partly depending on who looks to be the strongest in 2006-07.

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 06:41 PM
The bigest problem biding on the Memorial cup In NHL rinks is that they can't guaranty the dates needed to put it on. I the flames go far in the playoffs they can't comit to the whole tournament cause they would need the ice themeselves for the nhl games, If there were no conflicts Calgary would be a shoe in for it

That is a concern, however it is managable. Chances are that only two or three Flames playoff games at most would affect the tournament, and that can be overcome simply by scheduling around. Possibly a Mem Cup game in the afternoon, Flames game in the evening, or more simple, extending the length of the tournament to avoid conflicts.

Worst case scenario, Calgary could host out of the Corral, which has a capacity over 8000 when you include standing room.

Though I believe that they could put together a decent schedule in the Saddledome should the Flames still be active.

IceMan
01-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't understand why the host city has an automatic bid into the toruney at all. In fact, I almost don't think that the host city should be pre-determined.

We do know that the tourney travels from league to league each year.

Why not just have the 3 league winners in the tournament, and the team from the league whose turn it is host it ?

Last year, that would have meant no Kelowna in the tournament, but instead MH whould have hosted the tourney. This year, that could end up being London anyway, but the point being, having the host team get an automatic bid gives the host league 2 entries into the fray, and one of them undeservedly so (aside from the money paid)

Wouldn't that make it more fair and equitable ?

Granted, there will be years where it's hosted in a very small (and possibly old) barn, but that adds to the charm of it in an old school sorta way.

Orv
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't understand why the host city has an automatic bid into the toruney at all. In fact, I almost don't think that the host city should be pre-determined.

We do know that the tourney travels from league to league each year.

Why not just have the 3 league winners in the tournament, and the team from the league whose turn it is host it ?

Last year, that would have meant no Kelowna in the tournament, but instead MH whould have hosted the tourney. This year, that could end up being London anyway, but the point being, having the host team get an automatic bid gives the host league 2 entries into the fray, and one of them undeservedly so (aside from the money paid)

Wouldn't that make it more fair and equitable ?

Granted, there will be years where it's hosted in a very small (and possibly old) barn, but that adds to the charm of it in an old school sorta way.

I think the major reason they don't do this is because it takes so long to plan and organize a tournament like the Memorial Cup. If you had this system the city may only have around a week or two to get their **** together and host the tournament. I also think that it could put a damper on ticket sales. There may not be a lot of people who would buy tickets to the Memorial Cup having no clue where it will be held. If it were in the 'Dub it could be anywhere from Brandon to Prince George. People need to be able to book hotel rooms and etc.

I don't mind having the host team getting an automatic invite. Also I think it helps ticket sales a lot as well.

Nielson11
01-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I remember when Kelowna was awarded the Mem Cup.

The Hurricanes staff felt their bid was solid and thought it was 50/50 between Leth and Kelowna.

I would have to think now with Maxy completely out of the picture. Lethbridge is probably the leading candidate for the Mem Cup.

We had the Russia ADT Challenge....packed the Enmax Centre, something like 5600. The we also hosted the World Under 17 Championships.

It doesn't hurt that the Canes wouldn't look out of place on the ice, even a couple years down the road, management here is pretty solid.

Just my two bits

Nielson